00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hooovie just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Do you like gift cards?

1,697 Views | 33 Replies

I hate gift cards, because why would I buy money that I can only use at one place, when I can just use money I can use everywhere?

Do you like gift cards?

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 16:28:57

Do you gift people money or something?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 16:32:22

Only if I'm getting it from someone and it's for a place I actually go to.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 16:40:30 (edited 2016-05-02 16:40:49)

If its a Steam card sure. but other then that not really.

Been around since 2004. (as a lurker that is!)

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 16:55:11

At 5/2/16 04:51 PM, HomicidialFrog wrote: Vid relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-7_YU-KIs

Vid relevant to your life

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 17:00:32

My grandparents have started sending me Visa gift cards for my birthday and Christmas. They kind of just pile up because I don't know what to do with them.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 17:01:53

At 5/2/16 05:00 PM, CoconutMoose wrote: My grandparents have started sending me Visa gift cards for my birthday and Christmas. They kind of just pile up because I don't know what to do with them.

I have like 15 gift cards in my wallet right now that I've had for years.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 17:10:39

Whether I like gift cards or not depends.

Is the gift card like, say, a Nintendo eShop card and would allow me to purchase a few old-school games? You bet I'd be happy over it.

Anything else? I would prefer the monetary gift in an envelope rather than a gift card, thank you very much. I don't think my favourite shops do gift cards anyway.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 17:11:24

Only if it's for Amazon. I would have to go out of my way to use a gift card from nearly anywhere else. Especially restaurants. If I get a gift card for a restaurant then I usually just give it to someone who will use it.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 17:20:53

I'll buy them at a grocery store with my customer card and that'll rack up fuel points, usually at a doubled worth. Now, I have money for the Nintendo eShop that I would have had through my credit card regardless, and I also have more points to put towards buying gas. A win-win for a loser like me. Now, do I consider them a good idea as actual gifts? Friend gets the card, but I still get more points for gas. So, that's a draw-win for me, I suppose. Either way, I just like being able to refuel my vehicle from empty to full in under ten bucks.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 17:57:15

Gift cards aren't bad. A lot of them are a scam though especially here since you only have a limited amount of Time to use them.

I usually ask a person what they want before their birthday or Christmas comes up so it gets the guesswork out of the way

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 18:06:47

At 5/2/16 05:57 PM, FoAngel wrote: Gift cards aren't bad. A lot of them are a scam though especially here since you only have a limited amount of Time to use them.

That's true everywhere. My sister has given me gift cards to go to the movies the last couple of years and they've all had expiration dates. That's not much trouble in this case because there probably will be a movie I want to see within the next year but yeah, on principle I see the problem.
What annoys me is when you almost use one up and then you make the choice of having to remember you have a couple bucks on one or splurge on a counter item to burn it.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 18:41:31

I have 2 gift cards that are essentially useless. A visa one and an amex with no website to activate either. They won't work on gofundme, or patreon so I can't just throw money at artists I like. They don't work for PayPal so I can't give it to NG but worst of all they don't work on Amazon. So I theoretically I have $50 that I can't spend and can't give away

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 18:46:17

At 5/2/16 05:00 PM, CoconutMoose wrote: My grandparents have started sending me Visa gift cards for my birthday and Christmas. They kind of just pile up because I don't know what to do with them.

Send them to me.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 21:26:57

At 5/2/16 05:01 PM, Monster64 wrote:
I have like 15 gift cards in my wallet right now that I've had for years.

Damn. What do you think you'll do with them? You can't keep shoving them in there forever.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 21:35:48

At 5/2/16 09:26 PM, CoconutMoose wrote: Damn. What do you think you'll do with them? You can't keep shoving them in there forever.

I'll throw 'em anyway. Some day...

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 21:39:36

At 5/2/16 06:46 PM, CiviLies wrote:
Send them to me.

No thank you.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-02 23:31:10

Not usually unless I buy them for myself because of a deal or I have to.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-03 00:38:03

At 5/2/16 04:10 PM, Monster64 wrote: I hate gift cards, because why would I buy money that I can only use at one place, when I can just use money I can use everywhere?

You're not supposed to buy it for yourself, silly. It's supposed to be free money essentially for you to give as a gift. Hence their name.

"Plz don't call NASA on me I'm afraid of astronauts dude" - DJ-Ri (2015)

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-03 00:49:16

i like them from amazon, that's about it.

"some people who believe they're smart do nothing but talk incessantly. if they didn't, how else would they let you know how smart they are?"

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-03 03:18:21

What I hate are the pre-paid credit cards. Those are just annoying to deal with.

As for the standard gift card. I don't particularly like giving them as a present, unless there is a theme to it. Like a gift card for a movie theater and a gift card for dinner. That's pretty reasonable. I don't really like receiving them either, because they're either for Walmart or Target and I don't know what I usually want from there unless I know what it is and by that time the person giving me the card should have known enough about me to know what I want from there or at the very least put in some effort.

That's what I am looking for here. When giving a gift there needs to be some form of effort put into it. Sometimes you just don't know and you can't get into contact with someone who might know, but if that is the case then just get a greeting card and put some cash into it. Cash is better than gift card. Yeah it is less effort, but at the very least the person can take the cash anywhere.

Although... I will get a person a gift card over buying them clothes. Never give a person clothes as a gift unless they specifically want clothing. Because most of the time unless you know them well enough, you're going to get it wrong.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-03 17:33:10

At 5/2/16 04:10 PM, Monster64 wrote: I hate gift cards, because why would I buy money that I can only use at one place, when I can just use money I can use everywhere?

you literally explained everything I feel about Gift Cards

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-12 09:42:48

Giftcards are cool as long as they're giftcards for places that I actually shop at.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-12 10:08:49

Steam or Amazon.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-12 11:00:20

GradeAUnderA explained pretty well why gift cards are a scam and giving them is stupid.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-12 13:53:25

Let's be honest. If it's an Amazon gift card, you can buy fucking anything anyway.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-12 14:19:38

I fucking despise gift cards.

"It's called consolidation; strengthen governments and corporations, weaken individuals."

I also draw stuff. Here's some of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-12 15:22:31

No, at least with money you can enjoy it as you wish.

Money > Gift cards.

but really, don't send me a gift card as I'll never redeem it.

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-12 15:34:38

At 5/12/16 03:34 PM, usgurshaan178 wrote:
At 5/2/16 04:51 PM, HomicidialFrog wrote: Vid relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj-7_YU-KIs
It's obviously where they got the idea for the thread.

DELETE THIS GUY'S POST

BBS Signature

Response to Do you like gift cards? 2016-05-13 12:48:17

If it is it can help you with somehing is so useful!
Everyone like gift cards! If is something we hate that thing is Newgrounds problems!
By the way , this discussion is nice... to talk with someone is awesome!!!