00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz

739 Views | 18 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

35 words is kind of scanty.

Anyway, hello people of the Art Forum. I am not new to Newgrounds, not by a long shot, but I am new to this board. Due to some recent un-timely events I am no longer able to record music the way I want to, which is where the majority of my creative juices go. Also, I've discovered GIMP. Is this a good budget program is there something better?

At any rate these two things kinda happened together and I've been dicking around on it A LOT more lately, be it sketching or painting on gimp. I think I'm pretty good but some of you guys are retarderdly good. I was wondering if I could feedback or constructive criticism on my art. Thanks.

How do you guys use layers effectively? I'm having an issue being creative while also using multiple layers. Is it just a practice thing? Tips?

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-04-24 21:14:20

oh, sorry my pics are too big? ill convert em to smaller

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-04-24 21:18:34

Is double posting frowned upon if you're dumping stuff? i didn't read anything against it

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-04-24 21:22:46

i'll upload one more and wait for some responces. thanks guys

These are pretty good for a musician recently turned digital artist. I welcome you to the forum!

Post as many arts as you want, consider this your gallery thread like anybody elses!

You drawing without a tablet I assume?

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-04-25 01:30:50

At 4/24/16 09:08 PM, Manx1 wrote:
How do you guys use layers effectively? I'm having an issue being creative while also using multiple layers. Is it just a practice thing? Tips?

Naming your layers & also creating a group for them eases the struggle.

I would stick with gimp for now & yes its a good program i normally use it for my work plus you can check out @britsie1 work to see its potential: he also has a youtube account where he post his speed drawings might learn a few thing or two.

the other program is krita but it lags and will definitely test your patience.

also welcome.

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-04-25 06:39:43

At 4/24/16 09:08 PM, Manx1 wrote: How do you guys use layers effectively? I'm having an issue being creative while also using multiple layers. Is it just a practice thing? Tips?

Depending on what software you use, you could have a maximum of three layers, or infinite depending on what you're drawing. Some ideas for layers, from bottommost to topmost.

Rough sketch work.
> Base colour 1 (say, black?)
> Base colour 2
> Base colour 3
> Highlights 1
> Highlights 2
> Highlights 3
> Sparkles and shimmery stuff
> Outlines
> More sparkles and shimmery stuff.

Now, that is, of course, depending on what you have for software. If you're running the free version of Sketchbook like me, you're limited to three layers -- in which case you may have to merge your layers if you're confident with what you've already drawn.

Also, that doesn't mean you put rough sketches and then immediately start with colour. Most people outline on a layer above the rough sketches, and then sandwich layers in between for colours etc.

I hope this helps!

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-05-02 22:21:21

Thanks everyone for the surprisingly positive and constructive feedback,

I would of responded sooner but my comp died half way responding a few days ago.

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-05-02 22:25:01

At 4/25/16 06:39 AM, Troisnyx wrote:

Ok I'm going to set a similar template up and save the template and keep trying. Thx

At 4/25/16 01:30 AM, Akuaitance wrote:

Ok i'm going to subscribe to his channel and learn something

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-05-02 22:34:05

At 4/24/16 11:03 PM, Template88 wrote:
You drawing without a tablet I assume?

I'm drawing with a Laptop touch mouse thing, whatever they're called.

Thank Satan I recently discovered 'smooth stroke' on GIMP lol. Helps A LOT.

I'm going to look into tablets, is there a price range I should shoot for if I want quality?

It's a Ghoul.

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-05-02 22:43:26

badass art my friend ;)

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-05-02 22:56:28

At 5/2/16 10:43 PM, irvintiu wrote: badass art my friend ;)

Glad to contribute something good! Thanks!

I think I'm going to work on this sketch next.

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-05-02 23:42:15

sweet :D

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-05-09 23:25:37

thing

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-05-10 00:11:04

Your execution is quite honest and you do show a willingness to learn. All your work here isn't even bad to look at.

You manage to pull off a good aesthetic but I think what's holding it back is the mastery of your tools.

I hope you know the key shortcuts for your software.

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-05-10 00:45:14

At 5/10/16 12:11 AM, Cairos wrote: Your execution is quite honest and you do show a willingness to learn. All your work here isn't even bad to look at.

You manage to pull off a good aesthetic but I think what's holding it back is the mastery of your tools.

I hope you know the key shortcuts for your software.

I think i know what you mean by honest, but could you maybe clarify?

And you're right, Every time I try to use layers, I end up fucking it up because I get confused mainly on where to start and where to end, like do I go my background first? I'm enjoying practice and I'm watching videos on tips and tricks, and i'm learning a lot. Improvement is going to be at my pace or in better words, against the grain of my own artistic impatience for learning slowly and methodically. That's why I think I know what you mean when you say I'm honest, because I never really worship anyone elses style too much. It's the same with my music too.

As an avid starcraft player, I know hotkeys, but I'm still learning the ones I don't use all the time.

Response to i b drwin alot mor rctly-Critix plz 2016-05-10 01:38:35

At 5/10/16 12:45 AM, Manx1 wrote: I think i know what you mean by honest, but could you maybe clarify?

You are putting everything you currently know and like into your work. It's as if you have nothing to hide and you're more than willing to express yourself.

Developing a process on the computer isn't as straightforward compared to pencil and paper. The choices become daunting when you realise you're working with an infinite canvas. It will get faster though once you narrow down what's essential and what's a gimmick.

The way you're approaching in learning is encouraged: "Do what you want, take what you want". Getting influenced by another artist is always good but you are right to not worship, it can be quite unhealthy.