00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

BrunoVugl just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Offended by Swearing?

2,916 Views | 41 Replies

Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 13:32:28

Is anyone here genuinely offended by swearing?

I've noticed myself swearing lately and I'm beginning to try and stop as I'm seeing people do get more easily offended by it. In my household It was serious trouble to swear in front of my parent's growing up but once I got the liberty to do it away from them I swore a hell of a lot, and sometimes still do. I personally don't get offended too much by it but I don't like it either.

How do you feel about it?

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 13:56:27

I have a habit of cursing quite a bit when talking to myself. Around others, I rarely curse.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 13:59:48

I swear a lot.

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 14:01:57

Context matters. I would find someone saying "Teabag that cunt" at a funeral to be horrible, but saying the same thing in a game online to be only mild stupid.

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 14:19:39

At 10/21/15 01:34 PM, Hoodie wrote: I like when you're playing a game which involves killing each other and it will say "This is a family server, please no cursing".

Fucking this.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 14:23:00

At 10/21/15 01:32 PM, DragonRock73 wrote: Is anyone here genuinely offended by swearing?

Though I'm not offended by swearing I find I'm more likely to use softer, more humorous word like goodness, crikey or balderdash. I'm more like Niles Crane then I'd care to admit.

Offended by Swearing?

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 14:27:30

Naw...if it's about me then I'm fine but if it's about a family member then I would get pissed off.

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 14:39:09

There's a lot more variables in the equation that would lead to me getting offended. Like, who is saying it, in what context, and how it is directed and all that. At the end of the day though, words are just words.

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 14:47:38

What about people with offensive names like Dick Hurtz or Mike Hunt?

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 15:00:14

At 10/21/15 01:34 PM, Hoodie wrote: I like when you're playing a game which involves killing each other and it will say "This is a family server, please no cursing".

Norman Rockwell himself couldn't paint a more perfect picture of America.
Words are more dangerous than violence.

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 16:17:55

Nobody is 'offended' by swearing.

When they say that they're 'offended', they really mean that they can't find a better excuse to bitch at you.

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-21 22:01:53

We are not offended by it anymore because it's used pretty much in every day situations so our senses are "deadened" to it. Like violence and sex. Personally I think some forms of art would come across a lot better if they didn't have offensive language in it, but that's what the artist decided that they were going to do.

You haven't seen me yet.

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-22 06:54:56 (edited 2015-10-22 06:55:53)

I've replaced the word 'swear' with swears because I don't like the words for it.

I wish people would get over it. Especially pissing around kids and kids shitting. Because children are the only excuse that gives those people control. They couldnt tell some guy to stop jizzing just because they dont like it. It would be nice to move on so its no longer considered humor to shout fucks.

"you hate gays, believe in god, and dislike my posts, I still think you're cool"-FurryFox

"TarahlovesJBKscawk"-Tarah, "Those (under)pants are just adorable"-Gagsy

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-22 09:56:11

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-22 10:53:10

I swear like a sailor.
also this might be perfect for you OP.

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-22 11:02:03

At 10/21/15 03:50 PM, Snapnix wrote:
At 10/21/15 02:19 PM, TailsPrower wrote:
Fucking this.
Fucking that.

Fucking him

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-22 13:48:17

At 10/21/15 04:17 PM, Bit wrote: Nobody is 'offended' by swearing.

When they say that they're 'offended', they really mean that they can't find a better excuse to bitch at you.

You're fortunate enough to not live in an area with heavy-handed evangelical Christian influence, I see.

The only people who get offended by swearing (we call it cussing around here) are the right-wing Christian fuddy duddies who spend all their time nosing in to everyone else's business, reporting even the slightest of violations (even sometimes when there is no violation), and generally seek to force their own ways onto everyone, in a very "no fun allowed!" sort of way.

They're the people who will call the police on "noise violations" because someone was talking what they considered a little too loudly or were listening to music what they considered a little too loudly (which is anything above a whisper). They're the people who will call the police because someone is skateboarding in a no-skateboarding zone. They're the people who will call the police on a black man walking through a white neighborhood because "he looked suspicious". They're the people going door-to-door trying to convert you to their church. And they absolutely suck.

But yes they absolutely are offended at swearing/cussing, but they're offended at nearly everything, which anything not "church-approved" is "of the devil" and "needs to be banned".

Offended by Swearing?

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-22 14:15:59

Nah. I was taught not to swear (as you can hear in my earlier flash movies, I say smeg instead of swearing) but I always thought it was funny when people used swears either to insult me or just in general. I still avoid them in general conversation but only by habit.

Then again, I'm Scottish so swearing is like punctuation to most of the people around me.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-22 14:25:14

I use profanities in abundance but it's not like it's hard not to.
I'm very capable of being formal when need be.
As a rule of thumb, I only swear when I know people around me don't care.

besides you'd have to be a five year old to be offended by swearing... or to find it funny.

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-24 10:37:18

Nope...they're some just words.

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-24 12:30:24

As long as people don't swear excessively, I'm okay with it.

I get annoyed at those middle schoolers who think swearing is cool, so they say "fuck" or "fuckin'" five times in every goddamn sentence.

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-24 14:08:19

I'm not offended, but I work with kids, so on the off-chance one DOES cuss, I have to chew them out.
Also, watch yo profamity

Top medal point users (updated Sundays) | Wi/Ht member #43

Steam ID

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-24 15:06:21

No, but it does get annoying when you're talking to someone who can barely string together a sentence and has to think out loud by saying "fucking.... fucking.... fucking...." in order to construct every sentence they say.

Like, holy shit, why can't people learn to talk?

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-24 21:46:14

At 10/21/15 01:32 PM, DragonRock73 wrote: Is anyone here genuinely offended by swearing?

You're fucking right I am.

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-24 22:14:20

At 10/24/15 03:06 PM, Monster64 wrote: No, but it does get annoying when you're talking to someone who can barely string together a sentence and has to think out loud by saying "fucking.... fucking.... fucking...." in order to construct every sentence they say.

Like, holy shit, why can't people learn to talk?

The military would've drove you insane.

Happily ETS'd.

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-24 22:40:55

At 10/24/15 10:14 PM, TailsPrower wrote: The military would've drove you insane.

Too bad they DQ'ed me. I'm missing out on some amazing Marine meat. Damnit!

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-26 12:51:03

At 10/24/15 10:33 AM, Homicidee wrote: Nonsensical bullshit

Hahaha, even if I was. I'd be smarter than you.

wicked late comeback

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-26 23:30:26

At 10/21/15 01:56 PM, SmartyPants wrote: I have a habit of cursing quite a bit when talking to myself. Around others, I rarely curse.

Well fuck, are you me?

Pretend not to care about anything, but be bothered by everything.

You may be fast on the roads but it's no use on the track.

ScaryPicnic made me do it.My letterboxd.

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-27 00:15:08

At 10/21/15 03:41 PM, Loki wrote: As silly as this may sound, swearing (purposely, for no valid reason) is childish and makes you sound like an uneducated person who can't use "real" words to express their feelings.

Well, "Goodness, Im angry because things didnt go according to plan!" doesnt have the same impact or emotional charge as "Why the fuck didnt it work?"

ゴ ゴ ゴ The sig emmits a menacing aura... ゴ ゴ ゴ ゴ

BBS Signature

Response to Offended by Swearing? 2015-10-27 00:22:21

I also grew up in a house where swearing was strictly not allowed. Since joining the USAF, going through BMT, and working on the flightline for over a year, I've grown completely used to every other word out of someone's mouth being fuck, shit, bitch, cunt, f*ggot (don't ban pls), etc, and I'm guilty of it myself while at work or hanging out with coworkers, but unlike some others, I'm still very conscious about swearing in public places such as stores and restaurants, especially when there are people with families around. If their are parents with their children around I'll actually try to police what my friends say.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature