00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Altongoodbottle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Biweekly Animation Challenge!

39,334 Views | 298 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-02-16 16:40:56

did i win yet!?

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-02-21 11:39:03

At 2/10/16 03:17 AM, Bandanana wrote: I'm late, but I don't really care. I'm just picking up tips now.
Could anyone help me out with how to mirror my frames? I don't wanna have to do it frame by frame from each layer I used. That'd take forever.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/6fcdb6dd3ad3c0cd9124edf5cb4877ff

In Flash 8, its under Modify, then Transform

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/95b03f7076f7f22bc7c0f22122f0feeb
Just in case the time lapses

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-02-21 17:06:28

You've gotta start the next challenge, I've got some spare time!

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-02-22 08:22:07

Chillycheese is kill.

ChillyCheese?

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-02-24 13:58:58

At 2/24/16 12:30 PM, RyanB12 wrote: ChillyCheese?

Is there a reward? I might check my hidden cellar.
If the price is right he might be hiding there.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-02-24 16:40:36

At 2/24/16 12:30 PM, RyanB12 wrote: ChillyCheese?

TEETH: 1

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-02-24 19:31:14

At 2/24/16 01:58 PM, Sjiht wrote: Is there a reward? I might check my hidden cellar.

Sorry, but we just don't have the funds.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-02-24 22:31:41

At 2/24/16 07:31 PM, RyanB12 wrote:
At 2/24/16 01:58 PM, Sjiht wrote: Is there a reward? I might check my hidden cellar.
Sorry, but we just don't have the funds.

wow it has been some time since the challenge ended hasn't it

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-02-28 11:33:05

Is this still a thing? I hope it hasn't died

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-02 13:58:40

Sorry I fell off the face of the earth guys, I told myself I'd get to this quickly and then pretty much forgot about it. My bad!

So, without further ado, the moment you've all been waiting for!

The winner of this weeks (months) challenge is.... @Shmutz!

What can I say, you're piece was really excellent. Cant find a fault. Your line quality is bombtastic, everything flows well, your character has a LOT of dimension. You've even added a bit of pizazz with the character holding eye contact. One small thing that stood out to me is the way you've kind of flowed the contour lines of some form into others, it really helps the whole thing flow smoothly. Spectacular work man, congrats! @TomFulp will award you with Supporter status!

Notable mention goes to @amazingspin, @tcrakman and @Glboom. Aside from Shmutz, you 3 were the most successful in creating a smooth rotation with dimension. Amazing spin, yours is so close to being some A+ shit, I love the style and pose, throwing the body forward like that is a real challenge since the symmetry is also thrown off, so kudos. It just gets a little choppy in some areas of the rotation, but hey live and learn. You mentioned your had some trouble with planning and whatnot so you know what to focus on!

@tcrackman This is awesome dude, it;s rough but everything can be made out clearly. The only thing I'm seeing that's wonky is the perspective on the feet, it isn't consistent

@Glboom Awesome stuff dude, pretty much ditto to the positive things I've noted above. Great form, nice and smooth. Also the size of the crown becoming larger as it swings towards the viewer is awesome, nice job. One thing I'm noticing is the staff, it looks great up until its about to swing out of view. It does so just a bit too abruptly.

@Bandanana You really struggled with this it seems. Before get into it, I will say that you have a good understanding of how to break down the body into shaped and rotate them, so most of the way there. It's just a matter of method. You mentioned how you looked at other peoples work and found that you could use less frames. Spot on, your approaching it in a very tedious way in my opinion which can lead to frustration. Try drawing out your key poses first, front, back, left right. Then throw in your diagonals. Then from there you can animate it how your doing now, or continue to add between poses. Check out this video on the two methods of approaching animation, it might help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8quCbt4C-c

@Squirrelman82 Okay, I laughed. The tornado badger got me. I think in that sense it works, the facial expression combined with the speed is really funny. However in the slower one there is a choppiness from the lack of between frames. Also in the diagonal frames he could use another arm. I know it could be behind him, but it will help to complete the movement arc of the arms if you just add a peek of the other arm. Good job on your character though man, funny design and nice and clean.

@sillybeans Definitely off to a good start, its hard for me to say much about it since I dont know what will be in the final draft. I will say the legs and feet are a bit hard to follow, you really challenged yourself with that pose it seems. I would see it through and try and make a draft with cleaner lines so you can find where you need to work.

@momo-samsseme Hm, a good first attempt. But your fundamentals need work. Looking at your character very few things are consistent from one frame to the next. Try starting with basic 3 dimensional shapes and animation them spinning. As of right now your character is very 2 dimensional because you havent really defined any of the dimensions in the body and you've sliced your character in half with your shading. The shading should sit on the form of the character rather than being one clean line that runs through it. For example, if I were to shade a circle I would use a curved line that runs along the surface of the circle rather than a straight line. A straight line will flatten your form.

@Leiwu7 I think your being help back by your software, I cant imagine its very easy to use an iphone app to animate, if that's all you've got you would be better off using pencil and paper. What you've got is a good start, but there's not enough between frames to actually get the sense of it rotating.

I think thats everyone that has posted new material since I last posted... Let me know if I missed you!

As for the next challenge: wind/drapery

This challenge is going to be pretty specific and back to our regular 2 weeks, since it's much more simple. The idea is to animate wind affecting some sort of drapery. It could be a flag in a gust of wind or curtains lightly blown. Keep it basic, focus on the movement of the drapery rather than a background or color.

24 FPS, any dimensions, Deadline is March 10th.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-02 14:12:59

Welp I realize I did forget a couple people that posted in the news post rather than the thread.

@Mr-Shark http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/7ae623b7f224c5e068e6346f3e13632c

Trippy, it makes me want to tear my eyes out. I get the feeling that's the idea though. On the animation of the actual spin, add more frames. It can still be eye bleedingly fast if you increase the FPS while adding more frames.

@Shaeguy http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a276c6461d4f271e8d88f240caef13ab

What can I say, it's really cute. It's clear you are a beginner, but I'd say this is a successful piece, its simple but has a good energy. It's just really cute lol. Keep it up!

@Matsuemon http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/49c1d05b4cb072345dd274339c91564f

Top half, really good albeit a little choppy. the legs though... they are kinda all over the place, I think you'd benefit from drawing a circle to represent the ground plane where the feet run through. It will serve as a guide that will make doing the legs much easier. Nice work though man!

@zv http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/6cb9fc295ac96b4ae24539576a60e9f0

I think you are the only person to choose a sitting pose and a difficult one at that. My advice would be to try and track your hands and face more. The hands kind of jump around and the facial proportions get thrown off. Try drawing some light lines on another layer to serve as a guide. I will say that overall everything moves quite nicely. Your core form is rotating effectively, which is great considering the difficulty of the pose.

Wow, thanks @ChillyCheese. Best critique I've had in a while. And method definitely coulda sped up my process... Your input is dearly noted!

Also, epic kek to all these missing ChillyCheese posts.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-06 13:27:33

I appreciate the comment and everything, but I do like to say I'm not really a beginner. I've been making videos for years now, and it's just my style. Besides that, thanks for the compliment. lol

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-07 03:52:45

Wah-PAM.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/7a96ca3a420a7c389cab473c2b84f2f3

Asides from solidifying the colors on the lines, I think there's still room to make this more exciting. Maybe have the curtains flow longer or something.
Also, I was consistently doing the wave on my left arm for reference on how the curtain would flow LOL.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-07 06:21:12

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-08 18:33:25

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

BBS Signature

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-08 19:41:45

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-08 23:53:44

You never know how much you need Chilly until he is gone. Thank you for coming back! I am excited for this challenge, never done drapery before!

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-09 03:34:00

Gettin dat progress, bebiiiiii. Here's an update on my drapestry. Will clean up tomorrow.
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/bb201163e9f2e941263479e98458ad91

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-09 13:18:24

At 3/6/16 01:27 PM, ShaeGuy wrote: I appreciate the comment and everything, but I do like to say I'm not really a beginner. I've been making videos for years now, and it's just my style. Besides that, thanks for the compliment. lol

Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate you were bad in any way. But in the grand scheme of things your work is reminiscent of that of a beginner. I have played piano for 4 years, I'm still a beginner. Doing something for a long time doesn't make you advanced. As for, "that's my style", I've heard that statement many times in regards to someone making excuses for their work, there is a difference in style and the level of technique you are using level, and I'm not blind to it.

@Bandanana Looks great so far man, I like that the blowing isnt completely symmetrical, that its been offset a bit. Nice small touch.

Also I completely screwed up the deadline, it should be the 17th, not the 10th. Gave ya's a week too little.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-09 14:35:37

Well to tell you the truth, I never aim to be all big and grand. I prefer to just animate simple stuff and be myself. I animate videos because it makes me feel good, and that it's my passion to do so. Some people may try very hard to become like Disney animators, but I animate in the way that makes me feel great. I could add more detail into my content if I wanted to, but I would only do that for really special work. In general, I just keep it simple but entertaining. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not really making excuses here. I could add more detail in my work, but for now I prefer to keep it basic.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-09 17:31:49

At 3/9/16 02:35 PM, ShaeGuy wrote: Well to tell you the truth, I never aim to be all big and grand. I prefer to just animate simple stuff and be myself. I animate videos because it makes me feel good, and that it's my passion to do so. Some people may try very hard to become like Disney animators, but I animate in the way that makes me feel great. I could add more detail into my content if I wanted to, but I would only do that for really special work. In general, I just keep it simple but entertaining. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not really making excuses here. I could add more detail in my work, but for now I prefer to keep it basic.

You're misunderstanding me, there's nothing wrong with doing your own thing and doing what makes you happy. However, proficiency is an objective thing, no need to be offended when I make on observation about that, it's not personal.

The point of this thread is to give and take feedback. I understand that simplicity can be a style, however more often beginners use it as a crutch. You can continue to do your own thing, but as long as you post in the thread there will be criticisms that call certain aspects of your work into question. If you want to improve you need to be okay with that.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-10 01:37:32

At 3/9/16 01:18 PM, ChillyCheese wrote:
@Bandanana Looks great so far man, I like that the blowing isnt completely symmetrical, that its been offset a bit. Nice small touch.

Also I completely screwed up the deadline, it should be the 17th, not the 10th. Gave ya's a week too little.

Thanks a lot dude! And HOLY HELL ARE YOU SERIOUS? Another eight more days to work on this!? Goodness, Chilly, I don't know what else to do with my submission anymore. Maybe make the window explode or something.

Granted, if I bothered to do the math, I probably would have figured that the submission date should be a little bit past the 10th. Ah well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, here's my thing.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-16 18:03:15

for some reason the .gif is not as smooth as the video, tried converting the video itself to.swf and the resolution was much worse....., anywayz, here's my drapery submition.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-16 18:14:42

Put the video in .zip if you wanna see it. Here's the link

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/d53f693ac969dde2e11d42e78c1d0850

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-03-16 20:08:57

Came back from work and decided to try out Clip Studio's new v1.5.4 animation tools.
They lack some basic features like shift multi select or copy & paste in the animation timeline so it's tricky to merge something into the frame layers but it's hell of a better workflow than what I had to do for my previous anim here.
Also I'm unsure if it's limited to just 24 frames at a time or I'm just too dumb..
Hope I'm still in time, not sure what the timezone of the deadline is but it's 5am here so no time for 24fps or additional shading.
In that sense, good night!

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-04-01 18:27:12

Will God Emporer Trump bring ChillyCheese to life once more?

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2016-04-02 02:32:48

At 4/1/16 06:27 PM, PentilexTV wrote: Will God Emporer Trump bring ChillyCheese to life once more?

Time to resurrect the 'missing ChillyCheese' pictures. :P

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature