00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wettle just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Biweekly Animation Challenge!

39,321 Views | 298 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-09-25 12:25:33

I finished the animation, but there was some thing wrong with the encoding when I tried upload my video last night so the movie was published this morning (which sucks). So here it is my finished action animation. It's pretty crappy, but so is college.

Dint work out as planned... But love the way it has come out so far... I guess i got stuck in the BG.. and other details... Found out areas i need to work on and speed up
will stick to simple and short this time...

Final Update
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/4cb7b5441946b091de61e617660a3e29

Its all in the Design... Worship Design... cause its what matters, Muhaaahaaahaaa....haaa haa hee aa... hrmmm...

Sci

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-09-26 21:42:06

At 9/26/15 01:19 PM, ShadeMachine wrote: Dint work out as planned... But love the way it has come out so far... I guess i got stuck in the BG.. and other details... Found out areas i need to work on and speed up
will stick to simple and short this time...

Final Update
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/4cb7b5441946b091de61e617660a3e29

I watched that door swinging back and forth for much longer than I care to admit...

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-09-27 15:44:01

Awesome.

Jeany, nice job getting the whole thing finished and polished on time, especially considering the length. I think you're strengths in this were really shining, the way the fight played out was very thought out. One thing I will say (as someone in the reviews said) the fight style looked very inspired by anime, nothing wrong with that per se, but I think it could use a dose of something personal to give it your own flare. Otherwise, smashing job!

Shade, you and me are in the same boat lol. Looks like we bit off more than we could chew. But hey that's part of learning. I think we both need to plan out our pieces more considering the time constraint. One thing you were doing was re-using assets; not a bad idea at all. Smart move to create environments quicker. Your opening shot is lovely, kudos.

And the winner for this round is: JeanyAwesome!
Congrats, you get honorary supporter status!
If you want to help choose the next winner you are more than welcome, however you will be exempt from the next prize. I'll let you make up your mind.

Shade you did great on yours it really came down to level of completion. I have no doubt that given the time this piece would really shine! The next challenge will have a time limit of 20 seconds, so we can dial it back on the epic minute long submissions.

I'll reveal the challenge and prize on Tuesday, hold onto your hats!

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-09-29 08:59:59

This challenge will last about 2 weeks, just like the rest. The prize this time around will be a copy of The Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams, a must have for any animator. Also Tom Fulp will give the winner Honorary support status!

Anyways on to the challenge!

Bouncing Ball: Easy to learn, hard to master. You can have this play out any way you like, by no means should this animation consist of just a bouncing ball. You'll have 2 weeks to do it so make it interesting. As far as restrictions go, make it no longer than 20 seconds! That's it, dimensions and FPS are up to you. You can use any animation software you prefer.

The deadline is Thursday the 15th of October!

At 9/29/15 08:59 AM, ChillyCheese wrote:

But what's the feature lenght requirement?
...sorry! I got it... 20 seconds!

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-09-29 23:08:01

At 9/29/15 08:59 AM, ChillyCheese wrote: This challenge will last about 2 weeks, just like the rest. The prize this time around will be a copy of The Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams, a must have for any animator. Also Tom Fulp will give the winner Honorary support status!

Cool! I'm going to try to participate this round. If not not this time, hopefully sometime in a future challenge. I already have Richard Williams' book but wouldn't mind giving it to another participant if (a big IF) I were to win.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-09-30 08:49:20

At 9/29/15 11:08 PM, Silvergun-Superman wrote: Cool! I'm going to try to participate this round. If not not this time, hopefully sometime in a future challenge. I already have Richard Williams' book but wouldn't mind giving it to another participant if (a big IF) I were to win.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing your entry, if not this time then the next.

Also just to clarify the challenge, ball bouncing does not necessarily have to be a ball. I'm doing a drop of water for instance.

Cool... i think i will add few limbs to the ball. I m thinking of a human jumping and tossing around in place of a ball.. hmmm... or show a worm on a football react to bouncing...

Its all in the Design... Worship Design... cause its what matters, Muhaaahaaahaaa....haaa haa hee aa... hrmmm...

Sci

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-01 12:22:59

I don't have too many ideas but I might work with the one I'm thinking of now. There's going to be a group of kids playing kickball in their neighborhood. One of the smallest players is going to kick the ball harder then expected; out of the neighborhood and into town. The ball will be shown bouncing around a few places. I'm not sure what the outcome will be but I want it to be comical.

So there it is, animatics is done...! i think i will try to finish it in a few days...!!!
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/6f05e70ceaba9353434c4d060e12ca31
Please share ur thoughts guys... !!!

Sci

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-02 03:06:47

At 10/1/15 11:31 PM, Glboom wrote: That is awesome! I want to do this challenge but not sure if I have time

Thanks bro!!
I entered last two times but... chewed up more than i can swallow... , But in the process i learnt quite a bit. Got to know my pace and i m just trying do better this time. there are not much rules, goal is to share and learn together... so whenever you get time give it a shot...!!! Cheers!!

Sci

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-02 15:08:38

I just finished making my bouncing ball. Don't know if it looks like a bouncing ball, but I liked the idea of how it was looking so I made it that way.

Check it out here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/664303

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-02 19:24:19

Here's nothing creative...

I should have used a thicker pencil on the first ball.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-03 02:36:08

At 9/29/15 08:59 AM, ChillyCheese wrote:
Bouncing Ball: Easy to learn, hard to master. You can have this play out any way you like, by no means should this animation consist of just a bouncing ball. You'll have 2 weeks to do it so make it interesting. As far as restrictions go, make it no longer than 20 seconds! That's it, dimensions and FPS are up to you. You can use any animation software you prefer.

This sounds fun, I would like to take part in the challenge, hopefully time will be on my side this time.

At 10/1/15 04:55 PM, ShadeMachine wrote: So there it is, animatics is done...! i think i will try to finish it in a few days...!!!
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/6f05e70ceaba9353434c4d060e12ca31
Please share ur thoughts guys... !!!

Dude, this is great. The concept is really good and the delivery is just funny! The animation of the worm being pushed and pulled from the force of the ball is well done, it has a good weight and force to it, it just feels right. Think about adding some secondary action to reinforce that one. Maybe the eyeballs are pulled/stretched away from the worms head from the force of falling and then they splat on the ball and stick to the ball for a frame on the pull up.

Also The frame of him falling at the highest speed is very well done, the way he is made of of these very strong curved lines really accentuates the strength and direction of his movement.

At 10/2/15 03:08 PM, Jeanyawesome wrote: I just finished making my bouncing ball. Don't know if it looks like a bouncing ball, but I liked the idea of how it was looking so I made it that way.

Check it out here: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/664303

Lol this is a funny idea! Good concept and the delivery is strong, but in some places it needs work to make it looks totally polished. First of all: The faces are hilarious, especially the first 2. But something about the consistency is off , sometimes he has arms and legs other times he doesn't, its not really clear where they go and the disappearing is very sudden. However the way the arms drag in the opposite direction of the movement is a nice touch. Also this may be a bit nitpicky but I think the faces should have either black or white lines rather than both. Again, that's really small, its just a matter of uniformity.
For the ball bounce itself, it looks right up until it zooms out. That's when you lose the ball building up momentum as it falls from its peak. Instead is slows down as it reaches its peak and then immediately is at top speed on the way down. Take a look at SuperBastards ball bounce, it slows momentum as it reaches the peak and then slowly builds momentum. Some secondary things he's doing to reinforce that fact is stretching the ball as it hits high speeds. Your splat on the ground looks great, but think about adding a frame right after he comes out of the splat that has him in contact with the ground but stretching back up. It's difficult to explain for me without visual aid, but luckily Superbastard did just that! You can see right after the ball splats on the ground there is one from where is still making contact with the ground but stretching in the direction of the bounce.

At 10/2/15 07:24 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Here's nothing creative...

I should have used a thicker pencil on the first ball.

Nothing creative, but very well done. I can't find a thing wrong with it. I like the rolling in the end and how it ever so slightly settles back.

Mind if I ask what program your using?

Oh and here's what I got done last week: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a55c216ae625142d3c815550a15e39e0
I'm working on it more right now. Feedback would be very appreciated!

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-05 15:35:32

Update..!! Voila.!!

Sci

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-05 18:26:29

At 10/5/15 01:33 PM, ChillyCheese wrote: Nothing creative, but very well done. I can't find a thing wrong with it. I like the rolling in the end and how it ever so slightly settles back.

Mind if I ask what program your using?

Oh and here's what I got done last week: http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a55c216ae625142d3c815550a15e39e0
I'm working on it more right now. Feedback would be very appreciated!

Thanks man! I'm using Photoshop for animation at the moment.

Your drop is gorgeously rendered, but I think I'm having trouble playing the swf. It's really choppy and only showing me a couple frames so there's not much I can say about the motion.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-05 22:39:12

I *really* want The Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams - not sure if I could ever win such a challenge but it's more than enough incentive to try - surprised I didn't notice there's a biweekly anim challenge until now. :-D

Keep me in mind for voice acting roles, low poly 3d art etc :)

BBS Signature

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-06 11:13:25

At 10/5/15 06:26 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Thanks man! I'm using Photoshop for animation at the moment.

Your drop is gorgeously rendered, but I think I'm having trouble playing the swf. It's really choppy and only showing me a couple frames so there's not much I can say about the motion.

Damn man, Photoshop has a difficult UI for animation. But hey if it works for you it sure beats the hell out of flashes drawing tools. Ever used TVPaint? I've heard it's a good program for getting the most out of your drawing in animation. Plus it's actually geared towards animation as opposed to Photoshop's clunky afterthought of animation tools.

But thanks man! The drop is totally choppy, I was just working on getting the rendering right, no real inbetweens added. Spruced it up a bit, still needs work but I'm liking the way its coming out. http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/bf6083803bc39f48c5c4a0af7b8a5fcb
Reference video for the splash here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ37RLXNAgc

At 10/5/15 03:35 PM, ShadeMachine wrote: Update..!! Voila.!!

Looking good man, nice atmospheric perspective on the BG. Think about adding a more definitive light source for your environment, it will really give those hills some depth of you follow the curve of the hill with your shadow shape. Also for the ball take a look at SuperBastards bounce. It could use a little bit of that -umph that comes with a squash on impact and stretch at high speed.

At 10/5/15 10:39 PM, jenninexus wrote: I *really* want The Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams - not sure if I could ever win such a challenge but it's more than enough incentive to try - surprised I didn't notice there's a biweekly anim challenge until now. :-D

Good to have you on board! If you don't win, there's always next time!

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-06 12:32:20

At 10/6/15 11:13 AM, ChillyCheese wrote: But thanks man! The drop is totally choppy, I was just working on getting the rendering right, no real inbetweens added. Spruced it up a bit, still needs work but I'm liking the way its coming out. http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/bf6083803bc39f48c5c4a0af7b8a5fcb
Reference video for the splash here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ37RLXNAgc

Chilly did you do this in flash...??? I m watching it again and again... This must be the best flash animation i've seen till now (in terms of detail and shading )... almost looks real...something to aspire for... top notch bro..!!!

Sci

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-06 13:30:47

At 10/6/15 11:13 AM, ChillyCheese wrote: Damn man, Photoshop has a difficult UI for animation. But hey if it works for you it sure beats the hell out of flashes drawing tools. Ever used TVPaint? I've heard it's a good program for getting the most out of your drawing in animation. Plus it's actually geared towards animation as opposed to Photoshop's clunky afterthought of animation tools.

But thanks man! The drop is totally choppy, I was just working on getting the rendering right, no real inbetweens added. Spruced it up a bit, still needs work but I'm liking the way its coming out. http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/bf6083803bc39f48c5c4a0af7b8a5fcb

Damn that drop's looking pretty. I can't wait to see it all finished!

I've actually just recently started muddling around in TVPaint but the hotkeys are so weird it's driving me crazy. Until I learn those I'm still faster in PS but TVPaint's animation layers are rad as hell. It also has some really neat brush settings, and the latest one (which I can't afford yet) has a very very interesting coloring feature. So yeah good suggestion, I'm absolutely going to put some effort into learning TVPaint.

At 10/6/15 01:30 PM, SuperBastard wrote: Damn that drop's looking pretty. I can't wait to see it all finished!

I've actually just recently started muddling around in TVPaint but the hotkeys are so weird it's driving me crazy. Until I learn those I'm still faster in PS but TVPaint's animation layers are rad as hell. It also has some really neat brush settings, and the latest one (which I can't afford yet) has a very very interesting coloring feature. So yeah good suggestion, I'm absolutely going to put some effort into learning TVPaint.

Thanks man, I just need to find the motivation to keep my nose on the grindstone to finish this time!

I've been hearing more and more about TVPaint lately but havent tried it myself yet. I'm definitely growing tired of flash's quirks and TVpaint is looking like a great replacement. I don't think I'll miss Flash lmao. But man I hope you keep doing something for the challenges, you're obviously experienced and your voice would be great to have in the thread! I checked a lot of your work in your thread and the snippets of animation you've posted from your thesis, you've got talent dude, keep it up!

At 10/6/15 12:32 PM, ShadeMachine wrote: Chilly did you do this in flash...??? I m watching it again and again... This must be the best flash animation i've seen till now (in terms of detail and shading )... almost looks real...something to aspire for... top notch bro..!!!

Yup everything is done in Flash! Thanks man!! I'm really happy with how the splash looks in the end so far, but I still have to nail the motion, which I anticipate being a lot more tricky.

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-06 15:00:14

I think I may be a little over ambitious...

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-06 18:30:39

That's great! Makes me want to up my (bouncy ball) game! :-D

At 10/6/15 03:00 PM, Glandrid wrote: I think I may be a little over ambitious...

BBS Signature

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-08 13:04:17

If you are going to carry on running this you may want to start a new thread every 2 weeks with the title and date like this

Bi-Weekly Animation Challenge - 10/08/2015

or

10/08/2015 - Bi-Weekly Animation Challenge

This way people will be able to find the topic of the challenge easier as it will be right there at the top every 2 weeks at the moment people will have to scroll through the pages to see if a new one has started and while some people may be monitoring the thread new people should be able to find it easier.

Another thing is that maybe you should tidy up the rules a little, maybe have a definite aspect ratio/ framerate and length each part can be, this way if the challenges were to take off it would be easier to combine all of the previous entries and post them as a video within the next topics thread as new people could see what they were getting into.

BBS Signature

Yep things are getting exciting...!!

Here my update (from 2 days back) with voice acting by http://becelysimon.newgrounds.com/ (Please iqnore bad audio quality : Courtesy of Adobe Flash) :
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/6e10cc78329281254f8fbbaa8c0d79f9
Was planning to finish most of it today. But got caught up in some other things.

Sci

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-09 00:36:02

At 10/5/15 10:39 PM, jenninexus wrote: I *really* want The Animators Survival Kit by Richard Williams - not sure if I could ever win such a challenge but it's more than enough incentive to try - surprised I didn't notice there's a biweekly anim challenge until now. :-D

... Well you can tell how much of a noob I am at actual animation when you'll see these are my 1st ever bouncing ball attempts! I looked at a million references and a few youtube tutorials to better understand the flow of motion.. here's my 1st attempt (made with vectors in Flash) .. if I keep at it I'll have more than just a bouncing ball in time for the submission deadline :-D fun times learning either way.

BBS Signature

Response to Biweekly Animation Challenge! 2015-10-10 19:29:13

Awesome, i have been searching for a forum like this for a while. The entries i have seen so far from you guys are great so i also tried extra hard. I still got a little to do before it is finished, but i think i got the feel right. Well opinions are much appreciated so i hope we can improve together and have fun while doing so.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/04f4475fa86ddb71ccfabce44d198c7f