00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GhostiePlus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy?

767 Views | 17 Replies

There's this Mexican restaurant in my town, or "Mexican" restaurant (because it's not really Mexican food), and it's right across the junior college, so of course there's plenty of traffic there.

It's probably one of the stingiest joints in my whole county. First off, the meal comes with no chips or salsa. Unlike many good Mexican restaurants, and even most not-so-good Mexican restaurants, at least their meals are equipped with chips and salsa. However, this said restaurant does not have that. You have to buy the chips and salsa for a few dollars with the burrito/taco/dish of choice, and you have to pay an extra dollar to refill the salsa if you want another, which is absurd.

Second, the burritos cost about $6-$9, which sounds typical, but that's typical if it includes chips and salsa at other restaurants. The burritos and tacos are described as being bland and with a "dog food texture." Many reviewers on Yelp say that the burrito tasted as if somebody poured all the components of a burrito and put it in a blender and then poured it into a tortilla. One woman said it tasted like dog food texture (mentioned above) and some described them as "skimpy, shitty meals" and that some of the dishes were more like "snacks." Also, the burritos and tacos are fairly small in comparison to most of those that of other Mexican restaurants in my town, if not planet in general.

Third, they use AMERICAN CHEESE for the cheese in their dishes. In their chile relleno, they used Kraft cheese-type product as their cheese instead of a Mexican cheese, or any other cheese like swiss, mozzarella, Parmesan, jack, cheddar, whatever, would be better. It just looks gross.

Fourth, they have Styrofoam plates and plastic forks and knives for your meal. Not real plates or real forks and knives, like most restaurants, and to top it all off, they have small chairs that are described as feeling like you're "in elementary school again" when you sit on the tables to eat your meal.

Fifth, you have to pay for soda refills. Not necessarily strange or too cheap, except in a Yelp review a mother said her son went to the cashier and asked if he have a little bit more soda (probably an ounce or two) and the cashier, with a sarcastic tone, replied with "Sure! One dollar!" The mother said her child felt embarrassed and mocked at in the restaurant by the snooty remark of the cashier.

Sixth, the restaurant itself is depressing looking and they only repainted the outside as if it were a way to make it more appealing. People in Yelp reviews were like "repainting is not enough, food needs serious work."

So really, how stingy does this restaurant sound? Not just stingy, but it sounds pretty bad. I ate there once or twice, last time was apparently in December 2011, and it was nothing special and I'm not sure why anybody would eat there over other good Mexican restaurants a few blocks away from said restaurant. It's extremely Americanized and the food is borderline shitty, and very very overpriced. My friend said he would never go there unless forced at gunpoint. Also, the people who own the restaurant are apparently not even Mexican or Latino, but of Jewish or Russian descent.

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 13:50:51

Sounds like an authentic Mexican experience to me; it's the places that look good and serve huge portions and free soda refills that are Americanized.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

At 11/24/14 01:36 PM, Monster-64 wrote: Thankfully I live in San Diego, where we have authentic Mexican food.
I live next to this restaurant that sells 3 pound burritos for 8 bucks.

I live in a place with a huge Mexican population and there are plenty of Mexican restaurants, but that specific one I mentioned just flat out sucks, and it's not authentic, as Tremulous said.

I spent a day or two in San Diego County but I don't think I had Mexican food there, except that I may have had a breakfast burrito at a restaurant in Oceanside. I'm sure the Mexican food there is good and aplenty, for obvious reasons.

At 11/24/14 04:16 PM, Monster-64 wrote:
At 11/24/14 04:04 PM, BigFatKid wrote:
At 11/24/14 01:36 PM, Monster-64 wrote: Thankfully I live in San Diego, where we have authentic Mexican food.
I live next to this restaurant that sells 3 pound burritos for 8 bucks.
I live in a place with a huge Mexican population and there are plenty of Mexican restaurants, but that specific one I mentioned just flat out sucks, and it's not authentic, as Tremulous said.

I spent a day or two in San Diego County but I don't think I had Mexican food there, except that I may have had a breakfast burrito at a restaurant in Oceanside. I'm sure the Mexican food there is good and aplenty, for obvious reasons.
It's very excellent, but for some reason, the 5 star mexican restaraunts have shit food. If you ever come back, check out some smaller fast food places.

I'd love to come back for a visit. Some of the 5 star Mexican restaurants you're talking about are probably in La Jolla or somewhere near there. I was there for 4th of July in 2010 and as nice as it was, the food wasn't anything special and I believe they were in fancy restaurants. There definitely were some Mexican restaurants in La Jolla that probably were 5 star. I would have rather just went to the Mexican parts of San Diego to eat at the cheap hole-in-the-wall Mexican joints, which you said.

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 16:39:45

At 11/24/14 04:38 PM, Sekhem wrote: i wish people would realize that all mexican food sucks and just collectively quit eating it

mexican food in mexico sucks, tex-mex REALLY sucks, and that cali-mex is probably the worst of all

You sent me a PM once last year saying that the food in Mexico you ate was good.

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 16:40:39

Sounds like shit. I wouldn't eat there.

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 16:56:05

At 11/24/14 04:50 PM, Sekhem wrote: it's not really avoidable in texas/oklahoma because invariably one of your friends will always drag you to a mexican place once a week and act like it's the best food he/she has ever had

Haven't you been to New Mexico, Sekhem? Wasn't the New Mexican food (which is not necessarily Mexican food but Mexican-influenced and even somewhat Navajo-influenced) good there?

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 18:21:52

Why would you even go to that restaurant after having been once and seeing how bad it was? You should always try a place one time before passing judgment, but after having seen it for what it was, why ever go again? If I go somewhere and it's just a terrible customer experience I know I won't give them any more money.

That's no Mexican restaurant. It's a pseudo-Mexican restaurant. Next time go to an actual Mexican restaurant run by actual Mexicans who give you authentic Mexican food and not just copying some recipes they found online or something.

If you want pseudo-Mexican go with fast food like Taco Bell or something. Hell Taco Bell is probably more authentic than this place sounds like.

I'm really not a fan of pseudo-ethnic restaurants though. IMO, ethnic restaurants should only be run/managed by people of the same ethnicity as the restaurant is trying to be. It's fine to have a few workers who aren't, but the entire thing shouldn't be, oh, "Mexican restaurant" and everyone there's a frat boy or "Mexican restaurant" and everyone's Russian or whatever. Fast food doesn't count of course so that's a free-for-all.

If there's so many Russians though, why don't they just open a Russian restaurant? I've never seen a Russian restaurant and I know I'd try it. There are tons of Mexican restaurants in the South (although I am aware they can be a bit scarce up North). Why go with pseudo-ethnic which has great competition from legitimate restaurants when you can go with a genuine ethnic restaurant of your own which has almost no competition?

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 18:28:50

At 11/24/14 01:16 PM, yurgenburgen wrote:
stuff

The words and color of your signature hurts my eyes.

"You're a bit of a ghoul - aren't you?"---ZeroAsALimit.

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 19:27:56

american cheese in Mexican food

Fucking disgusting. The prices and lack of free chips are excusable, but that's where I draw the line.

Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy?

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 22:00:31

Who's running this shit hole Mr.Krabs?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 22:09:42

chill, why are u writing an essay about how shitty this mexican restaurant lmao just don't eat it stop whining

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 22:22:10

i went to a mexican restaurant in patterson, nj once. Idk the name, i just went there cuz it was open at 10:30 at night and wasn't a shit hole. The place was small but the food was really nice.

they gave out free tortilla chips and salsa which were made there fresh. I had a burrito and it came with like so much stuff and it was huge. it even had guacamole on the side. It was full of rich young jersey people, and had soccer on the tv. 10/10 would go there again if i was in the area.

All i know was it was near microcenter in patterson nj, about a mile or two if you make a right out of the parking lot.

I also saw somebody get rear ended in heavy traffic that night, and then swing to door open and jump out, almost getting hit by a tractor trailer. :X

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 23:19:29

At 11/24/14 06:21 PM, NeonSpider wrote: Why would you even go to that restaurant after having been once and seeing how bad it was? You should always try a place one time before passing judgment, but after having seen it for what it was, why ever go again? If I go somewhere and it's just a terrible customer experience I know I won't give them any more money.

I think I only went there once, but I'm not sure. I may have been there twice, though.

That's no Mexican restaurant. It's a pseudo-Mexican restaurant. Next time go to an actual Mexican restaurant run by actual Mexicans who give you authentic Mexican food and not just copying some recipes they found online or something.

I should have called it a psuedo-Mexican, or fake Mexican restaurant. It obviously isn't really Mexican food to me. I've been to dozens of authentic Mexican restaurants. I live in California, hour from San Francisco, and there are a ton of Mexicans where I live thus many Mexican food joints, and many of them are good. The good Mexican restaurants are in a part of my town where there's a huge Latino population.

If you want pseudo-Mexican go with fast food like Taco Bell or something. Hell Taco Bell is probably more authentic than this place sounds like.

I don't really like Taco Bell, and funny thing is Taco Bell is only a few dozen yards away from this "Mexican" restaurant I'm talking about.

I'm really not a fan of pseudo-ethnic restaurants though. IMO, ethnic restaurants should only be run/managed by people of the same ethnicity as the restaurant is trying to be. It's fine to have a few workers who aren't, but the entire thing shouldn't be, oh, "Mexican restaurant" and everyone there's a frat boy or "Mexican restaurant" and everyone's Russian or whatever. Fast food doesn't count of course so that's a free-for-all.

Neither am I. People of any race and ethnicity can make food using the right recipe but it's nice to go to a restaurant run by people who have the same roots as the food they are making. It may or may not be important, but it sure helps you believe that the food you are eating is authentic.

If there's so many Russians though, why don't they just open a Russian restaurant? I've never seen a Russian restaurant and I know I'd try it. There are tons of Mexican restaurants in the South (although I am aware they can be a bit scarce up North). Why go with pseudo-ethnic which has great competition from legitimate restaurants when you can go with a genuine ethnic restaurant of your own which has almost no competition?

There aren't. I personally don't know many Russians and I'm sure there is no large Russian community in my city. There is one Russian church in my city I believe. I think the people who own the "Mexican" restaurant may be Jewish or Russian from looking at them, and many of the people there didn't speak Spanish. Some of the cooks may be Latinos, but I'm not sure. Then again, it's been 3 years since I ate there, and I'm curious to go back there again to verify if it's as bad as the reviews, because last time I ate there, it wasn't unremarkably bad but just remarkably expensive for fairly bland food.

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-24 23:22:31

No free chips and salsa? That is very stingy. I would never go back to that restaurant again.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-11-25 10:28:44

In my experience, complimentary salsa and tortilla chips have been standard either before you even order or coming with your order. At my favorite local Mexican sit sown restaurant, everyone gets one free quesadilla and tortilla chips with salsa. The salsa could be a bit thicker, but it tastes good. American cheese? Jeez. That's for burgers and grilled cheese sandwiches and not much else. Size of burritos sounds like a rip, too. The takeout place right across my street here has huge freakin' burritos. Good shit. Plus, several orders come with free tortilla chips. Though there's more to Mexican food than tacos and burritos. At that favorite place of mine I mentioned, people don't seem to care much for the tacos (I've never had them) but the bistec ranchero and the chilaquiles are awesome which are the main things I like the place for. And there's another place with really good pibil and they make fresh guacamole at your table and their home made hot sauce is quite good. Good sangria at both places, too. Anyway, with shit quality food, styrofoam plates with plastic utensils and what from the descriptiom generally sounds like a crummy hole in the wall, I'd expect the food to be cheap and come with free chips. Is this a small place?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-12-10 18:11:02

Oh yeah and if that isn't worse as it already sounds I just read a review on yelp which says that he is a regular costumer. He said he went to a nearby sandwich shop and parked his car in the lot of the Mexican restaurant and later after having a sandwich and coming back his car was being towed. Not kidding.

Another reviewer said he was harassed for parking his car there temporarily but not eating there, and I understand them getting mad but towing cars is going too far.

Response to Is This Mexican Restaurant Stingy? 2014-12-11 06:32:45

Ah, the stinginess reminds me of my old school cafeteria. Jesus, were they cheap.