00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

cdhoeh0112 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept

1,470 Views | 25 Replies

A few times now I've said that I'd like to hang out with some NGer near me just to shoot the shit, but I've never really been sure how to go about that practically. As it stands, there are a few ways to find if there's any NGers who live close to you:

1. Post on the forums, but best case scenario, you might attract the attention of some relevant person if they see the topic.

2. Look through profiles until you find someone close to you. The problems with this are that you need a basic knowledge of geography, not everyone has their location listed, and it would take a looooong-ass time to look through every user to find one close to you.

3. Check the Newgrounds Facebook page. Honestly, this isn't an extremely effective way of doing this, not every NGer has a Facebook account (though most do), let alone follow the page.

Imagine there was a little globe on the toolbar. Sometimes that globe would glow, indicating that you have an NGer close to you. How would the system know? Upon registering (or upon implementation of the system), you would be asked, "Would you like to opt-in to the NGers Near Me system?". If you accept, you are brought to a virtual map.

When you reach the map (which I imagine to have a colour scheme like the calendar, or a Google Maps plugin), you would place a pin at your home location. You would then be able to set:

-Let other NGers see me from [X] Kilometers/Miles Away or Anywhere
-See other NGers [X] Kilometers/Miles Away or Anywhere
-Show profile to No one or Only to Users Who can See Me

After placing your pin and adjusting your settings, you would see a zoomed-in region, showing the range in your second setting. At the center of it, your flag would pop up, followed by the flags of any other users you are within discovering range of. If their profile is visible, you would see their icon on their flag, and clicking it would highlight it and bring you to their profile.

This would mean that:

1. You will not be discovered by anyone who isn't close to you if you so choose (barring people who would move their pins around to figure out where people are, not sure how to deal with this/whether it would be necessary to)

2. You will only be alerted to another NGer's presence once they're close enough. However the first parameter takes priority,
not allowing someone to be seen if you're outside their discoverable range.

3. You can completely opt out of the system, should you not wish to disclose your location.

I'm not sure this is something NG users would be interested or if it would be worth the programmers' times, but I just wanted to know what some users thought of it. I've got a pretty decent idea of what it looks like in my head, so if I didn't explain anything clearly enough please ask.

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 20:20:33

rofl newground stalkers

C C

the trolls king of kings

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 20:33:32

At 11/17/14 08:20 PM, ChickenChips wrote: rofl newground stalkers

I tried to avoid this with the parameters I listed. With this proposition, you can be equally as private as the current "Location" listing in your profile, but it would provide the flexibility to be less discrete. This would range from just letting other, nearby users know that there's someone out there to letting everyone opted into the system your hometown. Realistically, that's not much different from listing your town in your profile.

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 21:05:39

yeah kinda like how you can check online these days if theres a sex offender near your neighborhood

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 21:22:04

Yeah, I too was thinking of a geo-social Grindr type app for finding other NGers.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 21:30:16

At 11/17/14 09:22 PM, Painbringer wrote: Yeah, I too was thinking of a geo-social Grindr type app for finding other NGers.

We could call this app "NGrs Only."

At 11/17/14 09:30 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 11/17/14 09:22 PM, Painbringer wrote: Yeah, I too was thinking of a geo-social Grindr type app for finding other NGers.
We could call this app "NGrs Only."

I just see the ads now: "Hey, there *Stud*. Want to hook up with some *Hot* 15 year old Newgrounds? There's *Tons* in your area".

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.

AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 21:44:29

illegal texas toast

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 22:57:09

At 11/17/14 09:44 PM, Bit wrote: illegal texas toast

That's my favorite picture

Also I don't wanna find out someone I know has an NG account and find out that they're like Sevkat or something, that would scare me

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 23:03:23

Why is it every time I make a joke you seem to one-up me with a photoplasty?

I'd rather die a Wolf fighting against the Herder, than die a Sheep heading for the slaughter.

AVGN Fan Club. - The Culturally Diverse Crew - The Carnivorous Crew

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 23:38:48

Sounds like a good way to lure children into a trap... Sketchy... Not saying these are your intentions, but I'm just saying there could be a pedophile or two on NG...

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 23:47:49

At 11/17/14 11:03 PM, Knights wrote:
Why is it every time I make a joke you seem to one-up me with a photoplasty?

Photoshopping pictures for strangers on the Internet, who I'll probably never meet, gives my life meaning.

It's a complicated existence. I wouldn't expect you to understand.

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 23:49:34

At 11/17/14 11:38 PM, cga-999 wrote: Sounds like a good way to lure children into a trap... Sketchy... Not saying these are your intentions, but I'm just saying there could be a pedophile or two on NG...

I second this, but I really do wish there was an easy way to find other fellow NGers near you. It would be easier to plan meetups and hang out with each other that way.

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-17 23:57:45

At 11/17/14 11:49 PM, larrynachos wrote: I second this, but I really do wish there was an easy way to find other fellow NGers near you. It would be easier to plan meetups and hang out with each other that way.

Just create a meetup group for your area?

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 00:27:10

It'd make a lot more sense to do it by county or city rather than your exact location pinned on a map.

@metraff @NG_Artists Support Newgrounds Classifieds: commission animation

"Metraff I'm going to fuck you." - Sodamachine

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 00:45:13

At 11/17/14 11:59 PM, SCTE3 wrote:
At 11/17/14 11:57 PM, BrenTheMan wrote: Just create a meetup group for your area?
Meet-Up at BrenTheMan's House 2015.

Meanwhile, in Bren's house...

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 00:56:43

Wasn't there a thread once that linked to a globe map full of people's pinned locations?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 01:20:39

Currently, I only know of two other users that live in NC, and one that goes to my university

Haven't met him in person, or maybe I have and didn't know

5:24 PM - Hat-Fondler: adverb

5:24 PM - 平沢唯: jewishly

5:25 PM - Kupo: frothingly

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 05:39:08

If I ever get a notification about hot Newgrounds users in my area than it's most likely a bug where this app thing discovers my own profile lol

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 06:03:28

I'm sure that at least 10% of the BBS are pedophiles so maybe not. We'd probably need to up the age restriction and put up a disclaimer if we were going to do something like that.

The clock crew had something like that a while back though. I don't know what happened to it.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 06:10:41

I can FEEL the shit-storm brewing with black people seeing the app "NGers Only" and bowing up defensively.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 06:14:11

No seriously this has got to be the creepiest site feature I've ever heard suggested.

I'll probably read this in ten minutes and facepalm. - RageVI

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 06:35:28

I probably wouldn't want to meet up with people I haven't even heard of before, would be way more fun meeting those I've already delved into great conversational depths with onsite that so happen to live nearby. Would be cool with something that lets you get a better overview of who's from where though, like a list of users you can filter by location (as in: Country, nothing too specific). You could then proceed to PM those people yourself, plan meet-ups on neutral ground etcetc.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 06:37:42

At 11/18/14 06:06 AM, Voltage wrote:
At 11/18/14 06:03 AM, aListers wrote:
The clock crew had something like that a while back though. I don't know what happened to it.
oh my god, clock crew had something like this? that's kind of like, really terrible. I suspect anyone from clock crew is actually really sketchy (or alts of the NG staff for a day), but it's like the first group of Anon animators to break headway in the internet

Probably. That's why I didn't put mine on it. There was apparently a clock (named kamikazeclock if I remember correctly) who lived on a street nearby so I was probably best not putting mine on seeing as I was 11 years old at the time. Maybe that kind of reasoning was why they removed the feature.

Oddly enough, Strawberryclock has never met a clock in real life before yet he's been internet stalked to the point where random people were sending him text messages.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 07:04:31

I understand there may not be much interest in it as-is, but everyone's taking it at face value and there's been one suggestion to improve it so that there's less complaining about the big, obvious issue. If it was run off a Google Maps plugin somehow, it'd be much easier to list your location by town and then find users based on your location, but only know their town. Basically, an automated way of looking up nearby user's location on their profile/Facebook.

BBS Signature

Response to NGers Near Me- Site Feature Concept 2014-11-18 14:24:46

This is actually a cool idea but I think it requires NG to be more alive.