00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Em0-Snail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!!

15,017 Views | 220 Replies

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-21 21:18:46

Watched 1974's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. It was pretty basic, but I can see why this film is credited with establishing a lot of norms in the slasher horror genre. I'd recommend!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-21 22:17:51

Didnt really do good this month but I did Manage to watch Carrie, Elvria Mistress of the Dark, and The Addams family

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-21 22:52:20

At 10/21/14 10:17 PM, Wegra wrote: Elvria Mistress of the Dark

You seen Cassandra Petersen's nudes? Dayum.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-21 22:58:59

At 10/21/14 10:52 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:

Wait you mean those pictures on Google are Legit?

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-22 00:48:30

At 10/21/14 10:58 PM, Wegra wrote:
At 10/21/14 10:52 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Wait you mean those pictures on Google are Legit?

You see the labias.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-22 04:48:39

At 9/28/14 02:00 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I'll probably end up rewatching a few I've seen. Will probably rewatch Red State since I have it and I really liked it. I also have the Revenant, which is quite a good one that is overlooked. Y'all should watch it.

I love Revenant so f&*^ing funny

keep on Reaping on

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-22 04:59:24

I watched Terror Firmer yesterday, which is the first Troma film I've ever watched, at least to my knowledge. I absolutely loved it. It's not exactly a horror movie, but it's close enough, and it's definitely fucked up enough that I feel it fitsin my Halloween challenge.

I'm considering just making the rest of October a Troma month, but I still have a couple of Halloween and Jason movies to watch, and that's a tiny bit closer to being actual horror movies, though the further into the series you get the closer it get sto just being a gory slasher flick.

Meet the Mayor.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-22 14:26:10

Having a hard time deciding what to watch today. My choices are narrowed down to 3.
Re-Animator, The Hills Have Eyes (the original one), or Premature Burial.
I just got done watching Night Of The Living Dead, Dawn Of The Dead (that "extended mall hours" version thats like 2 1/2 hours), and then yesterday was Day Of The Dead.
I'm most likely going to have to hold off til tomorrow and watch 2 movies since I have to leave for work in like an hour though.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-22 16:36:19

Last night I watch "Jaws of Satan" In an era where every animal got a jaws movie this film decided to add exorcist. A snake who might be Satan is terrorizing a southern town and a troubled priest has to stop it. First off, not a Herculean feat to make snakes seem evil. As scared of snakes as I am I did have to admire how many real snakes as opposed to cheap effects they used. Really though, I fucking hate snakes.
One problem I had was that they tied the two things they were ripping off by saying the serpent was one of the first forms Satan took, citing the garden of Eden. I know there are references to Satan being serpent like in the bible but the snake in the garden was not him. Just an evil snake. Fuck snakes.

Today I got it done early and watched John Carpenter's "The fog" The man is a master of atmosphere. Even though the movie takes place in California here in New England sea faring is ingrained in the culture so that probably added some resonance to what was already a damn good movie. I especially liked the "6 must die" aspect, showing that body counts aren't what makes scary.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-22 18:56:17

Watched 1977's Eraserhead. What a weird film. Lol.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-22 20:17:47

Here's a look into the past week:

[15. Day Of The Dead (1985)] taught me some great new zombie facts I never knew about. Some characters were pretty cool, others were extremely unlikeable. This made the death scenes very gratifying. Awesome gore by the way. And the intro music's been sampled in that one Gorillaz song, lol.
[16. Saw IV (2007)] Ugh. The saw movies have some horrible timeline issues, I had to read up on the story to catch up with what happened. Pretty great stuff once you make sense of it all. I like how each movie releases more details about John Kramer.
[17. Friday The 13th Part 5: A New Beginning (1985)] I hate it when children are spared from death in horror movies. I dislike it even more when they get to be the hero. It's a clishé of sorts. Wasn't the last one called "The Last Chapter"? This was a rather lame attempt at reviving the series, if you ask me. The real Jason Voorhees didn't even appear in this movie.
[18. The Uninvited (2009)] had a lot of drama, but wasn't that horrifying at all. The title is pretty missleading. Again, I was expecting a ghost horror but it ended up being more of a psychological horror film. There's a plot twist towards the end, but it left me pretty much unfazed. Until the very end that is. That's when the plot twist starts making sense all of a sudden.
[19. All Hallow's Eve (2013)] was rather unimpressive. I like how promising the movie starts, but it goes downhill from there pretty fast. It's just a woman watching some poorly done movies on VHS. All movies depict a clown. A pretty creepy clown at that. He's the coolest thing about this movie.
[20. Hallow's Eve (2013)] was the movie I actually wanted to watch the day before. Both movies appeared in the same year and have very similar titles. Hallow's Eve was atmospheric, but not that great. Dialogue and filming were good for instance. I also really liked the props. The gore was pretty piss poor though. Some death scenes looked unrealistic and relied mostly on shitty gore CGI. There were weird transitions going on too. Like at the very beginning, when that one girl encounters a tractor. Meh, still better than last night's flick.
[20. Skeleton Key (2005)] Wow. Excellent movie! It's been recommended to me years ago and I would have watched it way earlier if I knew it would be this good. This is what you want to watch if you're looking to see a movie about weird cults and forms of witchcraft. Great story on this one. Not that scary, but the ending's terrific.
[21. Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)] While I was watching this, I realized that I had heard of this movie before. I saw it on 1st place in someone's top 10 of Japan's weirdest movies. Rightfully so. Watching this movie is a brainmelting experience. The monochrome visuals may have been an genius choice for this movie, as it amplifies the ominous vibe that is reminiscent of Akira. I think it may also be the reason why those disfigured bodies looked pretty damn realistic. The stop motion was a bit overdone, but I guess it fits the movie well. I couldn't help but think Shintaro Kago's stories would look like this if they were made movies. Lots of the elements reminded me of his bizarre oneshots. I wouldn't be surprised if this were his favorite film.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-22 21:03:16

At 10/22/14 07:53 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Tonight I watched The Watcher in the Woods. From 1980.

That is one of the first scary movies I ever remember seeing, by which I mean I saw it when I was early on in developing memories. Did not understand half of it but there were loud noises and ominous accents. In retrospect it might have shaped my tastes somewhat.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-22 22:09:49

At 10/22/14 08:17 PM, Whirlguy wrote: [18. The Uninvited (2009)] had a lot of drama, but wasn't that horrifying at all. The title is pretty missleading. Again, I was expecting a ghost horror but it ended up being more of a psychological horror film. There's a plot twist towards the end, but it left me pretty much unfazed. Until the very end that is. That's when the plot twist starts making sense all of a sudden.

Should have watched the Original, a Tale of Two Sisters. I'm tired of Hollywood remaking RECENT foreign films.

[21. Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)] While I was watching this, I realized that I had heard of this movie before. I saw it on 1st place in someone's top 10 of Japan's weirdest movies. Rightfully so. Watching this movie is a brainmelting experience. The monochrome visuals may have been an genius choice for this movie, as it amplifies the ominous vibe that is reminiscent of Akira. I think it may also be the reason why those disfigured bodies looked pretty damn realistic. The stop motion was a bit overdone, but I guess it fits the movie well. I couldn't help but think Shintaro Kago's stories would look like this if they were made movies. Lots of the elements reminded me of his bizarre oneshots. I wouldn't be surprised if this were his favorite film.

What a fucking trip that movie is. Definitely one to watch high. Some people would argue that all movies are better high because things you think are deep seem deeper and funny things are funnier etc., but some movies really are just made for weed. Plus, I don't even think it's totally true, especially if it's a movie you've never seen before because sometimes I end up constantly going "wait, what happened again?" and rewinding. lol And you're not gonna have the attention span for, say, Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring. I mean compare that to Koyaanisqatsi, Altered States or Videodrome. But then some movies are even better to me high if I haven't seen them, like the first time I saw Dark City or 12 Monkeys cuz they made me go "fffuuuuuuck me".

At 10/22/14 06:56 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched 1977's Eraserhead. What a weird film. Lol.

Speaking of stoned first viewings. I was in complete silence throughout that movie just going 0_0.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

At 10/16/14 08:54 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Vampire Hunter D is a movie and it's only 80 minutes. I dunno how long the second one is, but it's also really great. It just doesn't have the same atomosphere of the first that I like.

It's on my to-watch list. Not sure if I'm going to count it as an actual horror movie though. Blood: The Last Vampire is a pretty cool horror anime too. Have you seen it? There's a real life action version as well. Haven't seen that one yet.

At 10/19/14 10:36 AM, Ericho wrote: I'm probably going to see "Annabelle". I've heard it's bad, but the only reason I'm seeing it is because there was a point where it was the most popular thing on all of Creepypasta. It's based on a true story, but we all know ghost/demon stories are fake.

I might want to go and read that before I go out to watch it. I was thinking of maybe hitting the cinema upcoming Saturday. Hope it's not as bad as people say.

At 10/22/14 10:09 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Should have watched the Original, a Tale of Two Sisters. I'm tired of Hollywood remaking RECENT foreign films.

Ugh, I wish I knew. These remakes should have labels on them.

Some people would argue that all movies are better high because things you think are deep seem deeper and funny things are funnier etc., but some movies really are just made for weed.

Haha awesome. I never watch horror movies while I'm high, but these sound like good recommendations. Videodrome is the only movie from that list I've heard of, although I've never seen it. They all look fantastic, too bad there's only 10 days left right now. Definitely adding these to my list.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-23 16:48:02

At 10/23/14 09:17 AM, Whirlguy wrote:
At 10/16/14 08:54 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Vampire Hunter D is a movie and it's only 80 minutes. I dunno how long the second one is, but it's also really great. It just doesn't have the same atomosphere of the first that I like.
It's on my to-watch list. Not sure if I'm going to count it as an actual horror movie though. Blood: The Last Vampire is a pretty cool horror anime too. Have you seen it? There's a real life action version as well. Haven't seen that one yet.

Yeah, not quite horror. Yes, I've seen Blood: the Last Vampire. Good anime, but the live action one is not so good.

Some people would argue that all movies are better high because things you think are deep seem deeper and funny things are funnier etc., but some movies really are just made for weed.
Haha awesome. I never watch horror movies while I'm high, but these sound like good recommendations. Videodrome is the only movie from that list I've heard of, although I've never seen it. They all look fantastic, too bad there's only 10 days left right now. Definitely adding these to my list.

Oh, most of those movies I mentioned except Videodrome aren't horror, just other movies I liked watching high.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-23 19:24:32

if dracula is a horror movie then so is vampire hunter d, it's basically an alternative take on the story. it's definitely an appropriate film for the halloween season anyway.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-23 20:42:39

At 10/23/14 07:24 PM, DeIirium wrote: if dracula is a horror movie then so is vampire hunter d, it's basically an alternative take on the story. it's definitely an appropriate film for the halloween season anyway.

science fiction horror is totally a thing. I'm more than comfortable putting vampire hunter d in that category.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-24 00:10:19

I'm gonna watch Carrie (the 1976 original) tonight. I've never seen the movie, so I can't say much about it other than its based off of my favorite author's first novel.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-24 11:45:55

I watched 2003's 28 Days Later yesterday. Pretty good zombie flick with a solid statement on politics. I can see why this had a sequel...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-24 23:41:43

Watched 1980's The Changeling. Very unnerving and atmospheric movie. I really enjoyed watching it. It's a shame that you don't see subtle flicks like this being made today.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-25 10:30:35

At 10/19/14 06:05 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: That sort of bold faced lying makes me sick. The Conjuring was a good movie. They didn't need to resort to that crap, but they did.

I know. There was this other movie I saw called "White Noise" about ghosts which was apparently based on a true story too. It was so awful it convinced me ghosts weren't real, lol.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-25 11:51:23

At 10/25/14 10:30 AM, Ericho wrote:
At 10/19/14 06:05 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: That sort of bold faced lying makes me sick. The Conjuring was a good movie. They didn't need to resort to that crap, but they did.
I know. There was this other movie I saw called "White Noise" about ghosts which was apparently based on a true story too. It was so awful it convinced me ghosts weren't real, lol.

Oh yeah, I saw that one years ago. Can't remember much except for Batman staring at static.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-25 18:40:14

The 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a really good movie. Curious if I should see the version that was made in the 1950s...Any of you guys seen that one?

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-25 18:51:54

i watched the purge anarchy, i never bothered with the first one because it looked bad but this one was pretty good. reminded me of one of my favorite games "manhunt".

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-25 19:02:34

Here are my updates.

First I watched Gothic, the story of the drug and sex fueled party at Lord Byron's house that led to the writing of Frankenstien. It's kind of like if Hunter s Thompson wrote the great gatsby.

Then last night was the Omen part three. It was a clever ending in that he was looking for a child that would be his doom but the scripture (which is shown in text at the end of the film) says the second coming will be a lion, not a lamb. It's a common misconception but you'd think the actual anticrist would have read it more carefully.

As for today, does the series premiere of Constantine count? If It's judged not to I'll watch something else but I'm pretty confident it does. I won't say it outshines the movie because I was one of the few people who actually liked the movie, but this is the Constantine from the books, absolutely.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-25 19:53:10

At 10/25/14 07:50 PM, SithCorduroy wrote:
At 10/25/14 06:40 PM, ZJ wrote: The 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a really good movie. Curious if I should see the version that was made in the 1950s...Any of you guys seen that one?
The 50's one is also good, but I like the 70's version a little bit better.

What makes that story endlessly adaptable is that there's always a boogie man within humanity to be scared of. It's primal. Is it the communists? Is it the scientologists? It's all good.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-25 20:50:17

At 10/24/14 11:45 AM, ZJ wrote: I watched 2003's 28 Days Later yesterday. Pretty good zombie flick with a solid statement on politics. I can see why this had a sequel...

OMG THEY'RE NOT ZOMBIES, THEY'RE INFECTED! Nah, I kid. That's probably one of my favorite horror movies. My friend hates on it but all he can complain about is them using contact lenses. Like really?

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-26 10:08:08

I ended up watching the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie yesterday and you know what? The design of the turtles was so hideous and the design of them when they were younger was so creepy, it was probably the closest I could get to seeing a horror movie lately.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-27 01:03:41

Watched 2001's Session 9 last night. Really creepy film that relied on atmosphere and psychology than anything else. Quite spooky actually. Props to @Gobblemeister for suggesting that I check it out.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-27 17:31:28

Grabbers

Fun Irish horror comedy about a giant teetotaling tentacle monster (and his smaller girlfriend) and a bunch of little blood sucking sea urchin things attacking a bunch of drunks. I liked it.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature