00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lucidstriker595 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!!

15,031 Views | 220 Replies

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-01 17:15:02

actually, let's see if i can juggle a horror marathon as well. i'm keeping it down to 20 because i have trip out of town and work this month so here's my list of horror films i haven't seen and could binge on for this challenge:

kill list
the exorcist
eraserhead
tetsuo: the iron man
man bites dog
henry: portrait of a serial killer
the texas chainsaw massacre (original)
the evil dead
let the right one in
repulsion
onibaba
suspiria
the wicker man (original)
the descent
jacob's ladder
cannibal holocaust
suicide club
antichrist
the host
i saw the devil

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-01 19:58:06

Watched 2013's Sharknado because Netflix said it was a horror movie and I'm feeling lazy today. It was really dumb. That is all.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-01 20:18:00

If you want to watch something truly horrifying and disgusting on so many levels, I recommend this:

Challenge accepted: Tonight I'll be watching, "It". Wish me luck. XD

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.”~Ikkaku from Bleach.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-01 20:48:21

At 10/1/14 07:58 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched 2013's Sharknado because Netflix said it was a horror movie and I'm feeling lazy today. It was really dumb. That is all.

Haha, I watched that movie last summer (I guess you know what I did now) with a bunch of friends. I thought it was great to poke fun at. My favorite scene was probably the exploding pool.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-01 20:58:57

Today I watched the Hammer classic Scars of Dracula. 70's boobs and the 2nd Doctor playing his Renfield (function, not name) is not a bad way to start a month.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-01 22:00:45

Sounds fun. Count me in if I have the time

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-01 22:09:18

At 10/1/14 09:40 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Tonight I watched 976-EVIL. From 1988.

There's a sequel to that that has nothing to do with phones and just follows his cousin on another adventure. It has a fun easter egg in it about the school play being presented by Joe Bob Briggs.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-01 22:12:44

Do MST3K episodes/movies count if they're watching a horror movie?

"Codswallop in my opinion." - Hagrid

"I trust no one but my ham sandwich." - SNAPCRACKLEANDPOP2

Never say no to Panda.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-01 22:19:54

At 10/1/14 10:15 PM, SithCorduroy wrote:

I'm actually gonna watch that tomorrow.

Joe Bob Briggs is really in it? I love that guy. Monstervision 4 life!

He's not in it, sorry. At the start of the movie there's a blonde running through the school (spoilers) and when she passes the auditorium there's a blink or you'll miss it poster of a Shakespeare play as presented by Joe Bob Briggs.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-01 23:18:10

I'm game. Let's start with Night of the Living Dead (1968).

It's amazing how well the formula of this film holds up even if the film itself hasn't aged as well as other horror films of its time and even earlier ones. It's also amazing how many times the plot of this film has been retold over and over by more zombie films than one could reasonably be expected to watch in a lifetime. If the acting never rises above the standards of a local theater group it can be forgiven for what it represents for the horror genre. It may not be the first to push shock-value into horror films, but it was the first to do so and become a phenomenally popular film in the process. But it didn't just do so on gore alone, it felt more visceral and real because it took horror to a human level. Although Romero felt the need to explain the zombies (space radiation from a satellite that had visited Venus...yeah) it wasn't about people who get presented with a way to fight back and be heroes. They can't save the world, they can't even save themselves. And maybe that's a plot line we take for granted in horror now, imagine seeing it when your reference for horror was the sweeping epics of the Universal Horror films or the schlock of the low-budget drive-in flick.

Even if it doesn't scare like it used to, the nihilism of the closing moments still work as good as they ever did.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-02 01:55:16

Do shorts count? If so I watched The House That Drips Blood On Alex.
I guess it's a horror in the sense that Tommy Wiseau was somehow able to make something worse than The Room. Which seems like quite the daunting taste in and of itself. If that doesn't count I'm gonna start off with this\/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_RxWVgAPYk
It popped up when I was looking for an Electric Wizard video on YouTube. And I've grown to trust those kinds of things from YouTube because I always find some really interesting Horror and/or Exploitation films.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-02 16:05:20

Just came back from watching "Häxan", English title "Witchcraft through the Ages", an interesting 1922 silent horror movie from Sweden. Definitely worth a watch if it's your cup of tea, it's got some creepy ass costumes for the time, some ground-breaking scenes of pure confusion. Next up: anything at all you guys recommend me by Alejandro Jodorowsky!

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-02 19:34:37

This > all other Universal movies.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-02 19:55:08

Tonight, I'll be watching Pet Sematary. I've always wanted my dog George to be brought back. XD

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.”~Ikkaku from Bleach.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-02 20:08:07

I kept up the Hammer theme and watched "Countess Dracula" basically their take on Elizabeth Bathory. Honestly it was not what I expected from a Hammer movie. None of their main stable were there, the gore and grandeur were both minimal, only a few boobs. Not a movie I regret watching but the Hammer name carries expectations that were not fulfilled.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-02 23:45:31

Watched The 1958 version of The Fly. Not a bad flick, but I still prefer the 1980s version with Jeff Goldblum. The special effects just obviously weren't as good in this earlier version and that kinda killed it for me. Oh well!

RIP DANDELO

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-03 17:02:16

Please don't let this thread die. I'm interested in what you guys are watching.
I was originally going to see something from Jodorowsky, but instead I had a friend come over and we watched the edgiest of the edge: A Serbian Film.
Although it was obviously meant to shock at its core, it's pretty good at what it does. Despite the fact that most of the enjoyment people get out of this thing derives from shock value, when looking past that it's pretty obvious there's a lot of things this movie does really really well.
Someone give the director of photography a fucking medal. Even though some of the shots in the move were a little too dark (literal not figurative) for its own good, the trippy, almost permanently drugged feel the movie's got going for it really sets the mood. This may not sound like something that important but it makes some scenes all the more joyful for gorehounds -- or at least memorable for anyone else.
Second of all: I can't emphasize enough how infinitely twisted, genuinely unsettling and disturbingly quotable the movie's bad guy Vukmir is. "Love. Art. Blood." "Our movie jumped through the window." "A warm, happy Serbian family." "It is an honor to shake the hand that jerked such a big cock." Who wrote this script???
Not the deepest, perhaps the film pretending to be more than it really is can be a turnoff for people (don't get me started on the political bullshit the director used as an excuse for explicit gore and sexual violence), it was an interesting experience nonetheless.
Also, maybe best decapitation ever in any movie.

Tomorrow: Santa Sangre!

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-03 20:46:12

Ah. The screams of girls faking being scared. It is music to my ears. Who can pass on to this masterpiece? ...Don't answer that.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-03 21:43:10

I'm in the middle of Frankenstein's Army.

This is stupid.

It's a found footage movie with modern HD video and audio quality that, get this, takes place in the 1940s. Some kinda neat looking monsters, though, I guess, but they're really bad at chasing people.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-03 21:52:38

At 10/3/14 09:43 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'm in the middle of Frankenstein's Army.

This is stupid.

It's a found footage movie with modern HD video and audio quality that, get this, takes place in the 1940s. Some kinda neat looking monsters, though, I guess, but they're really bad at chasing people.

I hate found footage.It's one of those things that's been done right maybe 2 or 3 times. Other than that it's just cheap locations filled with people I don't care about.

That being said, my movie wasn't very good either. It was another 70's British movie but despite the presence of Peter Cushing I don't think it was Hammer. It was called the legend of the werewolf. Basically a dude gets raised by wolves then he goes into the city and hulks out werewolf style when he gets mad. And it's set in France. British people in no way hiding their accents playing French characters amuses me to no end.

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-03 22:07:16

At 10/3/14 09:52 PM, stafffighter wrote: I hate found footage. It's one of those things that's been done right maybe 2 or 3 times. Other than that it's just cheap locations filled with people I don't care about.

I really can't think of any found footage films that were all that good. Not even the Blair Witch.

That being said, my movie wasn't very good either. It was another 70's British movie but despite the presence of Peter Cushing I don't think it was Hammer. It was called the legend of the werewolf.

Nah thats not a Hammer. It's by like Tyburn or something like that.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-03 22:14:43

At 10/3/14 09:52 PM, stafffighter wrote:
At 10/3/14 09:43 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I'm in the middle of Frankenstein's Army.

This is stupid.

I hate found footage.It's one of those things that's been done right maybe 2 or 3 times. Other than that it's just cheap locations filled with people I don't care about.

Yeah, if I knew it was found footage, I probably wouldn't have recorded it. Man Bites Dog is probably the best found footage movie. [Rec] and Cloverfield were decent. I guess that's about it other than maybe the Blair Whitch Project (haven't seen it). A friend of mine showed me this one about a haunted house people go to and try to have a seance. Nothing fucking happened until the last like ten minutes.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-03 22:44:32

At 10/3/14 10:34 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Tonight I watched Cat People. From 1942.
I'd highly recommend this movie if you're looking for more psychological horror films.

Meh. Needs some Natassja Kinski labia.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-03 22:52:54

At 10/1/14 11:18 PM, Jercurpac wrote: I'm game. Let's start with Night of the Living Dead (1968).

Oh cool I'm watching the sequel of that right now.

I HДVЗИ'T ЭДTЗЙ SLICЭD ЬЯЗДD SIИCЭ I ШДS TЩЗLVЭ

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-03 23:35:41

At 10/3/14 10:52 PM, Boomstick wrote:
At 10/1/14 11:18 PM, Jercurpac wrote: I'm game. Let's start with Night of the Living Dead (1968).
Oh cool I'm watching the sequel of that right now.

Dawn of the Dead is waaay better than Night, IMO.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-03 23:47:31

Watched 1985's Fright Night on Netflix. Really charming movie with great horror and humor. I can see why they tried remaking this. Loved it.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-04 00:20:37

Dang. I scheduled the Descent to record but something went wrong and it recorded a fraction of Alien 3 instead. Oh well, I still remember it well enough if I want to watch the sequel. Heard it's not so good, though.

So, on the DVR, I got these to watch that I've never seen.

the Blob (1988)
the Conjuring
Insidious
Juan of the Dead
the Frighteners (saw bits of it)

And these to rewatch.

Creepshow (saw this on cable when I was a kid, never saw it uncut)
Gremlins (barely remember this one at all)
Red State (awesome movie, go watch it)
John Dies at the End (might not watch cuz I already watched it again pretty recently but it's great)
Evil Dead remake (same as above)
the Revenant (mad underrated)
Near Dark

And Tokyo Zombie on my computer. And these on my Netflix DVD queue that I've never seen (I don't get streaming).

You're Next
Grabbers
The Loved Ones
We are What We are
the Stuff
C.H.U.D
the Signal
the Collector
Cold Prey
Silent Hill: Revelation
the Descent 2

So do any of these suck? Any of them not actually horror? Also wondering if there are any good horror movies on YouTube under 90 minutes.

I just started the Fog. Never seen it before.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-04 03:39:40

I watched "Dawn of the Dead" the other day, but I have to say it wasn't really a good movie. I didn't like the acting, the script nor the costumes, really. Felt like I was watching a stupid, short version of "The Walking Dead". Gave me a good laugh, though, from time to time.

The first day I chose "Scream 4" since I've seen the three movies before that. As expected, that wasn't a good movie either.

Response to 31 Days of Horror Challenge 2014!!! 2014-10-04 12:07:50

Sorry, but I don't have enough money for Knology on Demand to do anything like that. I will, however, watch a horror themed video on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses, specifically Longbox Of The Damned, every day this month. Does that count?

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock