00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Yevs just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Newgrounds Worst Song Competition

10,708 Views | 94 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 17:21:23

Background:
A lot of contests around NG and the internet focus on you making the BEST song you can. However, something people seem to want to ignore is the WORST song you can make. That's where this contest, the NGWSC comes in! Feel free to forget all the stuff you've learned, pan everything to center, louden it so hard it's a solid wall (7D is minimum). This contest is about having fun and celebrating how far we've each come from our worst.

Now, there are three categories to this:
- Cringe (similar to your first song ever made): The music which hurts ones ears to listen to.
- Humor (e.g. PDQ Bach, songs made with fart sounds): The music which hurts ones sides to listen to.
- Satire (unintentionally similar to the second song you ever made): Music which is exceedingly trope-filled and piled on with cheese and bad production.

Entries in cringe may not consist purely of static, sirens, alarm clock sounds, etc. Please try to be creative. Great ideas include: using a phone microphone to record a really terribly played and sung piano piece, using the worst samples you can get your hands on really poorly (Gen MIDI?), having everything really out of balance in the mix, lots of peaking and clipping, things out of sync (turn off quantization!) or played in poorly (try finding a local primary school band and bring your phone mic!), etc.

Entries in humor may be well written and well produced. Emphasis in humor is purely on how funny it is (duh). We suggest doing things like: sampling yourself burping, farting, or saying words like "penis" and "ficus", using annoying or stupid effects on tracks, buying a kazoo or using an instrument you don't know how to play, allowing your cat to walk on your keyboard while recording, etc.

Entries in satire should be somewhat humorous, but please refrain from really criticizing at specific people or bands if possible. In other words, it's perfectly cool to make a rock/pop/jazz/classical/cinematic/whathaveyou parody, but refrain from saying stuff like "I made this because this is what ______ sounds like because ____ sucks." The purpose of the parody/satire section is to make fun of the tropes of certain genres and styles, not to make fun of those genres/styles and those who subscribe to them. (for example, write a pop song that uses excessive autotune, but don't go bashing pop music in your description)

Submission Requirements and Process:
SUPER IMPORTANT
- Please create your song DURING the contest (Posting of this thread to Sept. 19th at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5)).
- Tracks should be between 20 seconds and 2 minutes. Slightly longer tracks are acceptable for humor and satire, but pls, pls no long cringe tracks.
- It is NOT permitted to submit works made by others.
- We recommend using low-quality .mp3 (like 24-32 kbps rate) or other quality reduction methods for best results.
- Tracks should be uploaded to your audio sharing site of choice, such as instaud.io (PRIVATELY) and linked to ME (samulis) via pm or whatever.
- When you share them with me, PLEASE recommend which categories you nominate your track for.
- DO. NOT. SHARE. YOUR. TRACK. ELSEWHERE. WITH. ANYONE. (yes, even your mum)
- At the end of the contest, I will take the anonymous entries, put them on a survey page for a week or so, and everyone will rate the songs for each of the three awards. The one with the highest rating for each category wins that category.

Awards/Aftermath:
Each winner (there will be three) will get $20 USD via paypal and bragging rights. With the announcement, the tracks will be put up for display with the names of the creators. You may, at that point, release your track elsewhere, or try to bury the fact that you ever made that.

FAQ:
Q. Can I enter a song?
A. Yes
B. May I enter a song?
C. Yes
D. What is your favorite color?
E. We recommend brushing twice daily.
Q. How many songs can I enter?
R. You may enter 1-3 pieces of music. 1-4 if we are talking about songs. Opuses are unacceptable.
X. I want to win, can I bribe you?
Z. Please send all your monies to me and I will make u winrar 4 shure.
Hope those were helpful.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Oh, almost forgot, motivational art:

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 17:30:17

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 17:56:52

FINALLY a competition for the common folks!

That said, I know a few people who'd win this competition without too much trouble. :v I might give this a shot, if I get the time.

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 18:04:16

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 18:25:03

May the best person win/lose...?

Check out my pages!

Soundcloud Youtube Twitter Facebook

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 18:36:13

At 9/1/14 05:21 PM, samulis wrote: Now, there are three categories to this:
- Cringe (similar to your first song ever made): The music which hurts ones ears to listen to.
- Humor (e.g. PDQ Bach, songs made with fart sounds): The music which hurts ones sides to listen to.

Buy me a cat and I will produce such sounds for you...

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 18:37:45

At 9/1/14 05:56 PM, camoshark wrote: That said, I know a few people who'd win this competition without too much trouble. :v

So tempting to nominate people you don't like, isn't it? Hahaha

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! Veteran REAPER user. Ready to rock! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 18:41:26

At 9/1/14 06:37 PM, MetalRenard wrote: So tempting to nominate people you don't like, isn't it? Hahaha

You were saying?

JK

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 20:21:55

How are your entries coming along? C'mon, don't tell me you aren't all done yet!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 21:17:58

Hang on, let me piss on my piano and I should have something for you in like an hour

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-01 22:33:00

Just look up any speed-core song.

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 04:05:50

I'll pass. Rather not throw everything I spent hours researching and putting into practice out of the window.

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 04:37:48

I on the other hand am perfectly willing to throw absolutely everything I know down the drain every single time I make anything, it's kind of my style.

I got this. I hope you chaps are prepared.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 06:12:46

Ah, something I might have a chance at!

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 06:27:28

Hope I´ll find time to participate here. I´m always into doing tasteless music. Here´s a recent of mine which uses bad sounds, the mixing is horrible and it´s funny as well as it´s satire. Would have been a nice track for this competition ;)

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 10:07:37

At 9/2/14 06:27 AM, Azhthar wrote: Hope I´ll find time to participate here. I´m always into doing tasteless music. Here´s a recent of mine which uses bad sounds, the mixing is horrible and it´s funny as well as it´s satire. Would have been a nice track for this competition ;)
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/585073

Oh pls, my cat could do worse than that, and so can you!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 12:27:33

At 9/2/14 10:07 AM, samulis wrote: Oh pls, my cat could do worse than that, and so can you!

Me challenge cat for duel!

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 12:32:50

At 9/2/14 12:27 PM, Azhthar wrote:
At 9/2/14 10:07 AM, samulis wrote: Oh pls, my cat could do worse than that, and so can you!
Me challenge cat for duel!

kdlx./xhbjhnb

- cat

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 16:26:33

At 9/2/14 01:57 PM, TheDukeofJuke wrote: Here's my submission.

You're supposed to submit them by sending them to me so I can put them all up anonymously on the voting page. If you take it down now, I guess I can still accept it.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 17:19:00

At 9/2/14 04:51 PM, TheDukeofJuke wrote:
Forget about this one. I'm going to post a way worse one soon.

Haha good. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 17:36:13

Where is @Omegeist when you need him?

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 20:33:34

Dammit...this competition is going to make my competition look like a JOKE. :'(

Seriously though, this is a hilarious and very original idea.

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-02 23:20:49

I'M GOOD AT THIS

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-03 02:15:26

NOTICE: You may enter in any or all categories with your entry. There is no limit to how many categories you may enter in. There is also no limit to how many categories you may enter songs in. There is additionally no limit to the number of categories you may apply to your songs.

All clear? Gewd.

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-03 02:29:26

At 9/3/14 02:21 AM, Cabbster wrote: Wow I tried making some cringe but I just ended up making something sound like a pretty dope drop.. Tried to add cheesy vocals to at least add some sort of cringe but that just made it sound deeper..

Looks like this is gonna take time..

Prepare to cringe to the bone.

Hey man, u must be so good when u try to write bad u go around and write good.

Re: ur meme:

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-03 04:37:33

Entry sent! That was incredibly fun to make... and incredibly horrifying to listen to. =D

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-03 05:36:45

I'm tempted to do summat for this now.

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-03 09:58:54

At 9/3/14 05:36 AM, Troisnyx wrote: I'm tempted to do summat for this now.

it's refreshing in every way possible!

BBS Signature

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-03 10:14:42

At 9/3/14 09:58 AM, garlagan wrote:
At 9/3/14 05:36 AM, Troisnyx wrote: I'm tempted to do summat for this now.
it's refreshing in every way possible!

I might team up with @IrishChieftain for this.....

Response to Newgrounds Worst Song Competition 2014-09-03 13:04:34

You can count on ol' Ceevro to bring the funny! And if ANYONE knows everything there is to know about piss-poor mixing, it's THIS GUY!!!