A lot of contests around NG and the internet focus on you making the BEST song you can. However, something people seem to want to ignore is the WORST song you can make. That's where this contest, the NGWSC comes in! Feel free to forget all the stuff you've learned, pan everything to center, louden it so hard it's a solid wall (7D is minimum). This contest is about having fun and celebrating how far we've each come from our worst.
Now, there are three categories to this:
- Cringe (similar to your first song ever made): The music which hurts ones ears to listen to.
- Humor (e.g. PDQ Bach, songs made with fart sounds): The music which hurts ones sides to listen to.
- Satire (unintentionally similar to the second song you ever made): Music which is exceedingly trope-filled and piled on with cheese and bad production.
Entries in cringe may not consist purely of static, sirens, alarm clock sounds, etc. Please try to be creative. Great ideas include: using a phone microphone to record a really terribly played and sung piano piece, using the worst samples you can get your hands on really poorly (Gen MIDI?), having everything really out of balance in the mix, lots of peaking and clipping, things out of sync (turn off quantization!) or played in poorly (try finding a local primary school band and bring your phone mic!), etc.
Entries in humor may be well written and well produced. Emphasis in humor is purely on how funny it is (duh). We suggest doing things like: sampling yourself burping, farting, or saying words like "penis" and "ficus", using annoying or stupid effects on tracks, buying a kazoo or using an instrument you don't know how to play, allowing your cat to walk on your keyboard while recording, etc.
Entries in satire should be somewhat humorous, but please refrain from really criticizing at specific people or bands if possible. In other words, it's perfectly cool to make a rock/pop/jazz/classical/cinematic/whathaveyou parody, but refrain from saying stuff like "I made this because this is what ______ sounds like because ____ sucks." The purpose of the parody/satire section is to make fun of the tropes of certain genres and styles, not to make fun of those genres/styles and those who subscribe to them. (for example, write a pop song that uses excessive autotune, but don't go bashing pop music in your description)
Submission Requirements and Process:
- Please create your song DURING the contest (Posting of this thread to Sept. 19th at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5)).
- Tracks should be between 20 seconds and 2 minutes. Slightly longer tracks are acceptable for humor and satire, but pls, pls no long cringe tracks.
- It is NOT permitted to submit works made by others.
- We recommend using low-quality .mp3 (like 24-32 kbps rate) or other quality reduction methods for best results.
- Tracks should be uploaded to your audio sharing site of choice, such as instaud.io (PRIVATELY) and linked to ME (samulis) via pm or whatever.
- When you share them with me, PLEASE recommend which categories you nominate your track for.
- DO. NOT. SHARE. YOUR. TRACK. ELSEWHERE. WITH. ANYONE. (yes, even your mum)
- At the end of the contest, I will take the anonymous entries, put them on a survey page for a week or so, and everyone will rate the songs for each of the three awards. The one with the highest rating for each category wins that category.
Each winner (there will be three) will get $20 USD via paypal and bragging rights. With the announcement, the tracks will be put up for display with the names of the creators. You may, at that point, release your track elsewhere, or try to bury the fact that you ever made that.
Q. Can I enter a song?
B. May I enter a song?
D. What is your favorite color?
E. We recommend brushing twice daily.
Q. How many songs can I enter?
R. You may enter 1-3 pieces of music. 1-4 if we are talking about songs. Opuses are unacceptable.
X. I want to win, can I bribe you?
Z. Please send all your monies to me and I will make u winrar 4 shure.
Hope those were helpful.
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
Oh, almost forgot, motivational art: