00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

AcekillerX67 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

When people say today's music sucks

2,127 Views | 28 Replies

They do realize they're only talking about what's on the radio right? I mean, the only thing that really has gotten worse is the top 40 pop. It was once mediocre, sometimes catchy music that became downright terrible. Not a big deal for anyone who knows how to discover music. And those people don't dismiss all new music as bad.

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 08:30:34

When people say this it's a fairly uneducated thing to say or think...
There are thousands of new bands coming out every season who sing about anything from decapitated corpses to the joys of tax evasion to how snuggles and wiggles will enjoy the tree house today... Music is endless

"It can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable"

But in such we also have a very basic ear system and our brains are programed to enjoy a very select range of tone, and speed (along with a few other factors) but for the most part we only like go listen to very select music... And as the media likes to try to show us, we should only listen to the very center of this spectrum because it has to be something that we as a general population will have to love because science...

Most of the music on the radio is selected from the vast array of talent in the world who will turn around and sell products on air, and then off air

For instance when was the last time you herd anything from britney spears or the ealgles or justin bieber in the news... And then equally... On the radio...

Its been a while, as such it shows that the sales of these artists have fallen and the media only wants to sell us on stuff that can get the biggest bang for the buck... That means localized pop music that sounds similar to each other so we can get into conversations about how it sounds similar and the histories of the current artist, of which, will sell merchandise for the artist.

Supply and forced demand

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 08:31:16

Today's music doesn't suck.

The music popular in today's pop culture is what sucks.

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 09:39:54

I hate it so much when people think they're generation's just the worst.
Self-important pricks.

Every generation has had its ups and downs.

There's music that sucks today, there has been music that sucked way back, there will be music that will suck in the future.

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 09:47:15

I WAZ BORN IN DA RONG GENERASHUN.

Yeah, they just don't know how to find music.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 09:49:15

When people say that, it's usually probably because of pop music mostly played in the radio.
I kinda agree with them most of the time.

My taste in music is usually like almost any kind of electronic music (like weird ones like break core) and jazz (electroswing and overall 1920-1940 music), so I'm really one of the minorities here with weird taste in music.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 09:58:06

At 8/23/14 08:31 AM, larrynachos wrote: Today's music doesn't suck.

The music popular in today's pop culture is what sucks.

The music popular in any time's pop culture sucked. This phenomenon is ancient.

Teacher, goth, communist, cynic, alcoholic, master swordsman, king of shitpoasts.

It's better to die together than to live alone.

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 10:25:16

At 8/23/14 07:40 AM, NuclearInfected wrote:

Because what people are really complaining is the radio shit.

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 11:01:46

No, they don't mean on the radio. Don't you go to YouTube, dude? Remember all the Justin Bieber videos that appear and how "Baby" became the most disliked video ever made? Percentage wise, it doesn't rank above Rick Perry's Strong, and to be fair, that is worse.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 12:06:35

I prefer my tape collection of 80's rock.

Am I cool yet?

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 12:42:53

At 8/23/14 12:17 PM, fieldertiger wrote:
At 8/23/14 12:06 PM, Mumbo wrote: I prefer my tape collection of 80's rock.

Am I cool yet?
Yeah, you're cool.

thx bb

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 13:01:52

They're just mad that their music sucks now.

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 13:03:37

"I hate music these days and I belong in the 50s when people had class"

-every 13 year-old who's listened to Ain't That A Kick In The Head by Dean Martin

"also, I hate all rap"

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 16:47:23

yep

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 17:18:52

Heavily-marketed stuff tends to suck, and not just music.

It's a good rule of thumb that the more something is advertised and shoved down everyone's throats the more it probably sucks. Not always true but it'll do you right more often than it'll do you wrong. Of course there are a good amount of highly suggestible people out there who, if something is repeated enough to them, start to believe it, so they "like" whatever is heavily-marketed and so on and so forth. They're idiots IMO but there are a lot of them.

One of the best things you can do is stop watching TV. Seriously. Just stop it. Go watch shows you like on DVD or Netflix or whatever but TV these days is really pretty pointless other than as a marketing tool.

Unfortunately that won't keep all the suck at bay but should help with a lot of it.

Want to play Flash games on Newgrounds again? See here

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 20:46:06

People also don't realize that it's always been that way. Terrible music is not restricted to recent times.

There has always been terrible music even from the best eras of entertainment.

fuk

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 21:15:21

At 8/23/14 09:47 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I WAZ BORN IN DA RONG GENERASHUN.

Yeah, they just don't know how to find music.

So they listen to what passed the test of time from the previous generation and believe that today's pop is far worst then what it was before, and also just all-around ignore anything that isn't commercial. Simply said, they're people without any proper musical knowledge who can't keep their mouth shut on subjects they obviously know nothing about.

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 21:23:26

TL;DR explanation = the most promoted music plays on the radio and sucks but there are plenty of lesser-known good bands out there.

Seriously love the Miestas zeitgeist....

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 22:07:26

At 8/23/14 05:41 PM, Xenomit wrote: Saying that any music sucks automatically makes you retarded as shit. The music can suck in your opinion, but there's no such thing as objectively shitty art, and insisting that there is just makes you an insufferable little piece of shit.

You suck

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 22:43:27

Bart Baker is better than the original people who made the music because his music makes more sense. It's sound cool from the beginning but then it just plays on the radio over 9000 times, it gets really annoying. This guy is funny.
Bart 1

Also i watch GMA Weekend and i laughed the part where 1 news reporter said Iggy Azalea fell off on stage. proof.
Hi.
More parodies
IGGY IS NICKI MINAJ!
DERP
JB

"let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself" - FDR

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -George Santayana

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 23:08:20

It's easy for us to say that music played on the radio is crap, it's been that way for many years, there is no one reason why it's like that, and to try to simply point to a singular reason is simply missing the forest from the trees. Yes, major record companies have a huge part in that, along with the usual generation gap and pigeon-holed stereotypes that go along with it, but the thing about music in general is that it's a democracy (I believe Canas already mentioned this before) and there are literately thousands of artists that are out there, so there is no viable excuse for people not to get good music.

In fact, musical democracy has been around long before the Internet, with the advent of records, mix-tapes, uncensored CDs and so on. Of course, you'll naturally going to have those who'll enjoy whatever is on the Top 40, edited for content, but that doesn't mean that it's the only reliable source of music, and hasn't been for decades. I could go on and on, but I'm sure that most everyone understood what I'm talking about.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 23:35:11

The true enemy is pop music, the kind of music that almost always fall through the cracks of time and those who heard it at its peak, thank god that it did.

People hate contemporary popular music, ask your parents, your grandparents and then tell your kids the shit you had to hear these days. Pop music simply consists of beats and rhythms designed to get stuck in your head, they're money making cash grabs that just play off of whatever is proving popular at the time so they can get as huge as possible before falling off. After the hype dies, the beats get played out, you realize how shitty it all was.

Only truly quality music stands the test of time, note I said quality, not whatever appeals to you personally, as I don't care for many genres of music but can still see the quality in the tracks. Throw a dart at a board full of popular bands and singers that are still heard by the millions today and there will always be a reason to their success, and none of those reason will ever be the same as why certain songs are popular for a short time. No one will remember the crap playing on your radio right now in 10 years, except the sad washed up singers that played those songs.

The Beatles, Elvis, Frank Sinatra, AC/DC, Louis Armstrong, Dean Martin, The Doors, Queen. The frontrunners of generations in their genre will always be able to find a way to stand the test of time and it won't be a catchy tune that does it, its heart felt music that resonates from any other place than their wallets.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-23 23:54:55

I ucking hate it when people say that shit. First, 2014 has had some great pop music on the radio; obviously we're not talking anything too deep or emotionally moving, but there have been some solid beats that get you moving, which is important for pop music today. Second, the people who say this are always intending this ignorant statement to somehow prove that they're actually passionate about music, which isn't true at all of course because someone passionate about music would be aware that good music is always coming out from artists who care, if you care enough to find them.

Fucking people man

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-24 00:59:21

What I always tell people too is go watch some local artists. No, not some big-name artists whose concert tickets cost more than a new video game. Some local artists who are either free to watch or have a nominal cover fee (pay no more than $10 and usually less).

Go watch some artists you haven't heard of and have no idea about. If it's music genres you're interested in, the worst that can happen is, well, you wasted your time. Oh well. But it might be awesome and you might meet people there and the musicians might even talk with you, high-five you, and you might even get free promotional stuff -- something that'd pretty much never happen with huge name artists.

"Oh I haven't heard of them. They might suck." Who cares? Go to a show once and a while especially if you have no idea about the artist (other than a generic what kind of genre they play) and enjoy it. And even if they do suck, do you really regret it? Take my advice and you're out no more than $10 (and sometimes only $5 or even $0) and you got to see a band you've never seen before. All-in-all not a bad time out I say.

That said, if they're of a genre you don't particularly enjoy, then obviously don't bother. For example I don't bother with country or rap because I know the chances I'm going to enjoy a random country or rap artist are very small. It's just not my thing and that's fine. Because if it is your thing, then those are exactly the ones you should go to, and so forth.

If it's almost any other genre I'm up for watching some random band perform. Sure. Why not?

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-24 01:21:50

Generalizations are the tools of the ignorant.

The kind of old they just don't make anymore!

[Had your submission unpublished? Click here!]

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-24 05:41:46

I just want to add, if you do watch live shows, sometimes some of the people at the show can get annoying. Sometimes it's so bad they're annoying the musicians to the point they stop the show and tell people to cut that shit out. It happens.

I find it's mostly people who are trying to act "tough" but really they just come across as huge annoying posers. I mean when some skinny guy is acting "tough" because he thinks he's "hardcore" it's kind of hard to take him seriously.

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-24 06:00:48

At 8/23/14 09:39 AM, NGPulp wrote: I hate it so much when people think they're generation's just the worst.
Self-important pricks.

Every generation has had its ups and downs.

There's music that sucks today, there has been music that sucked way back, there will be music that will suck in the future.

Heck. That even applies to things like art and litterature.

The cake is a liar!

BBS Signature

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-24 06:29:12

At 8/24/14 06:00 AM, ragnkinson wrote:
At 8/23/14 09:39 AM, NGPulp wrote: Every generation has had its ups and downs.
Heck. That even applies to things like art and litterature.

Indeed.
It applies to anything, really.

Social issues, media, problems, etc.

At 8/24/14 05:41 AM, NeonSpider wrote: I just want to add, if you do watch live shows, sometimes some of the people at the show can get annoying. Sometimes it's so bad they're annoying the musicians to the point they stop the show and tell people to cut that shit out. It happens.

When I was a kid, about 4 or 5, my mother and I went to some band playing on the beach. It was a rather small gathering.

I really wanted to go back to our hotel room and I was so pissed to the point that I started attempting to throw sand at the band.

I was shouting, "You guys don't know how to play!" or something like that.
I think the band started laughing.

Looking back that was a pretty hilarious event.
Man, I was one shitty kid.

Response to When people say today's music sucks 2014-08-24 09:41:21

Music has always had its bad and good times. I remember an article on Cracked saying how the most popular song in the 1960's was "Sugar, Sugar" (or at least for awhile) written by the Archie gang. Of course, modern singers like Rebecca Black are probably no less cartoonish.

You know the world's gone crazy when the best rapper's a white guy and the best golfer's a black guy - Chris Rock