00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Where do I start???

971 Views | 6 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Where do I start??? 2014-07-10 14:56:01

I want to get into drawing but i'm terrible. I'm not even sure what to do. I really want to draw environments, but I really want to draw creatures as well. I'm less interested in drawing people, but they are still important to me. I'm not even sure what kind of tutorials to start on.

Are there maybe more general line straightening or hand steadying tutorial I can follow? My handwriting is bad too, so is it important for me to improve on that for art?

Response to Where do I start??? 2014-07-10 18:36:39

Calm down. Draw what you enjoy. Show what you draw to people, listen to critique from people who know what they are talking about and youll do fine.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Where do I start??? 2014-07-10 20:35:17

My tumblr yo.

My art thread.

If anyone wanna be drawing pals, add me on discord fam "daker#3361"

BBS Signature

Response to Where do I start??? 2014-07-11 01:57:17

I agree with darker. Drawing on the right side of the brain is a great starting place. Its used in many colleges, and its a great read. I would also recommend you read it. Let me ask you a few questions.

1) is this something you want to do a a hobby or something you want to turn into a career?

2) If YES to a career, what specifically? Video games, book illustrations, graphic design, comics.....

3) Either way...what artists and styles do you enjoy, and what do you want to learn? Digital, traditional, watercolor, oil, acrylic, charcoal, sculpture, ink? prob a few, but is one or a few specific calling your name?

4) what artists do you enjoy?

5) how old are you? (no one is ever too young or old to follow their dream, but age is usually a factor...ie do you already work, are you in school?.....etc

Knowing this stuff will better help people point you in the direction that will best help you reach your goals.

Response to Where do I start??? 2014-07-14 11:37:36

For landscape drawing, especially fantasy landscapes, you need to have a lot of straight lines and an eye for detail. And then focus on terrain, people/ vehicles (if you're going to have them), Then there's the sky and a cut off point so that the drawing looks like it's complete but not cut off. This is more manga/anime but it's a decent start and your age has nothing to do with drawing. Personally I believe it's 1% talent and 99% skill. That will probably get a lot of people pissed off.

Words of wisdom from an escaped mental patient.

Dude you could totes add me on steam!

You look hot, but you could never be as hot as me.

Response to Where do I start??? 2014-07-16 21:54:16

At 7/10/14 02:56 PM, Lethal-Input wrote: I want to get into drawing but i'm terrible. I'm not even sure what to do. I really want to draw environments, but I really want to draw creatures as well. I'm less interested in drawing people, but they are still important to me. I'm not even sure what kind of tutorials to start on.

Are there maybe more general line straightening or hand steadying tutorial I can follow? My handwriting is bad too, so is it important for me to improve on that for art?

The best thing to do is practice constantly. The more you draw, the better you will get. I would recommend studying from life or reference, and really dive deep into lighting, shape, and form. There are plenty of great books out there that can help you get focused. How To Draw, by Scott Robertson is one of my favorites. It has plenty of great tips about line work and perspective, you might want to check it out. The simplest answer on where to start is by drawing what you love, and doing it everyday.