00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Johndewey just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G A D M '14: Auditions

38,718 Views | 545 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 00:03:43

no it's 47mb because it's not an mp3 file lmao

Not

NOT

NOT

NOT

Nevermind I'm retarded and drunk. That judge question thing is still a real thing though.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 00:38:58

I would like to change my audition entry to this new song I completed today:

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 00:40:57

At 7/7/14 04:49 PM, ApprenticeBlacksmith wrote: Happy End [extended remake]

Since I don't really produce any new music anymore. Gonna roll with my personal fav that's extended remake of my very old tune.
Loop like always :)

oh, you will need to produce new music to participate in this, though.

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 01:07:58

At 7/7/14 10:40 PM, BrainLight wrote:
At 7/7/14 09:28 PM, TheHeartgrinder wrote: Fuck it. I'm in.
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/580010
YOU'RE GOING DOWN BUSTER BROWN

Don't forget the astroglide. You might need it. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 01:10:38

However, I do have a question: who chooses the matches? Are we just going to be randomly placed on the bracket after the group round, or are our opponents specifically chosen? I admit that pitting us against somebody of our skill level will be more epic, but that also adds extra stress upon me.

Oh god, I can just see it now...

"We were going to pair off people by skill level, but no one could match up to 'bosa + kor-rune', so we decided to just give them the win. See you all next year!"

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 01:10:47

At 7/8/14 12:02 AM, Bosa wrote: However, I do have a question: who chooses the matches? Are we just going to be randomly placed on the bracket after the group round, or are our opponents specifically chosen? I admit that pitting us against somebody of our skill level will be more epic, but that also adds extra stress upon me.

What would be cool is if we added an incentive to not just compete against the musician you're facing in a round, but also against everyone where the person with the highest score in that round faces the winner with the lowest score in the next bracket. This would add an incentive to not have the lowest score of the winners but rather to try for the highest score--to reward the person that did the best by making their chances easier to advance when pitted against someone with the lowest score of the last round. Makes things a little more interesting wouldn't you say?

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 02:19:00

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 03:40:22

At 7/8/14 12:02 AM, Bosa wrote: However, I do have a question: who chooses the matches? Are we just going to be randomly placed on the bracket after the group round.

it'd probably just be easier to make all the matches (and groups) randomized for the whole competition

the way i'm seeing it:

round 1: 16 groups of 4, one person from each group moves on
round 2: 4 groups of 4, two people from each group move on
round 3: 2 groups of 4, two people from each group move on
and then single elimination for the semis, 3rd place match and grand final.

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 03:44:24

At 7/7/14 11:40 PM, johnfn wrote:
I actually kinda like the idea of having a group round where the two top-scoring competitors move on. I like this idea of a group round at first, but the other one seems a bit more fair for matchups where there are two highly skilled musicians.
I want to voice support for this idea. I think groups of 4 where 2 pass would be more fair than head to head matchups. In a 4 person, 2 pass group, it's much less likely that high scoring people will get out early (just think about last year, when etherealwinds and headphoamz got something like 9.4 and 9.3 between them - it seems profoundly unfair that headphoamz would be kicked out with such a great piece!)

The problem with this is that it takes out the stress and challenge of a knockout competition. When you watch other forms of knockouts, for example the World Cup, you look forward to the games with the high-level classic teams, even though those games might be earlier in the knockout, which results in one of the teams being knocked out even if they might be higher scoring than other teams in the same bracket-line. I personally understand your point, but I feel like it would somewhat detract from the overall experience in reducing the amount of excitement about the early rounds. If you remove the possibility of a head-to-head clash between people who are popular and highly-skilled early, people will just lose interest until probably the later rounds. And besides, we've had multiple cases previously where an underdog beats someone completely out of the blue in a 1v1 matchup. That is, in my opinion, what makes the competition more exciting overall.

At 7/8/14 12:02 AM, Bosa wrote:
At 7/7/14 11:55 PM, midimachine wrote: the idea of groups in round 1 is make the comp shorter, but i would like it to be 1:1 with regards to wins and eliminations from round 2 onwards.
By what I gather from the original post, that is what is going to happen yeah?

However, I do have a question: who chooses the matches? Are we just going to be randomly placed on the bracket after the group round, or are our opponents specifically chosen? I admit that pitting us against somebody of our skill level will be more epic, but that also adds extra stress upon me.

Round 1 groups will be seeded into the 16 groups of 4, with 1 person passing from each group. The 16 winners will then be organised into the bracket to try and ensure more match-ups of the same genre, but past that point there will be no further seeding or tweaking. This should allow for people to be more strategic regards the opponents they might be facing later on, and keep a few aces up their sleeve for later rounds.

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 03:52:22

At 7/8/14 12:02 AM, Bosa wrote:

Indeed it would be more epic, but these epic rounds will happen in the later rounds for sure. Last year the matches were chosen. Personaly i dont mind not to get 5 ultra killer opponents in a roll. Its hard if you have serious things to do in your real life. The coolest would be a youtube show where the names were pulled out of a box --> @Step the lottery fairy? :D

I still think that a 4 way battle with 1 winner is ok. The most important thing for each is always to break his own limits so your true enemy is always yourself. The problem again will be that many styles are hard to be compared. Is orchestral better / worse than jazz? Is steampunk beter than world or rock? Will there be extra points if someone gets out of his comfort zone? It will again depend on what the individual judge prefers.

What i found cool is if each round would have differend genres - makes it easier to compare and also is extremer for the audio gladiators!

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 05:33:57

I like and dislike the 1 v 4 thing at the start. I dislike it because you really have a chance of dropping out and although it makes it exciting it makes it incredibly tough if you get two awesome tracks, someone great could be lost. This is why the world cup does have a runner up. Butthey also start with 32, not 64. For this reason I like it. The group of 4 works because it gives two extra people a chance to go forward that may not have been in the competition to start with, it's also quite an achievement for the winner of that group. It also makes you bring out your big guns in round one. Because you need to 3 people, not 1.

It looks ruthless, but it gives to other people a chance, than not having it at all.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 06:36:15

Basically, for those still unsure about how the contest works, what we're probably going to do is:

1.) Choose 64 participants from the auditions.
2.) Turn them into 16 groups of 4.
3.) Get the highest-scoring musician from each group and advance them to the next round (meaning 16 winners).
4.) The competition continues like this.

The two differences from previous NGADMs is that:
- A round is essentially "skipped" due to the groups of 4 thing in Round 1. Honestly, the main reason for this is to stop the contest from lasting for so long. There are multiple reasons why length is a bad thing in a contest; people can lose interest, people generally get more busy as we get later into the year, it's more tasking for both competitors and judges, etc. NGADM is by nature a long competition, especially now that we've started accepting 64 competitors, but shortening it a little does more good than harm IMO.

- Now there are actual, structured brackets. As you can see in the diagram above, if you win your matchup, you'll be guaranteed to go against the winner of your neighbouring matchup, rather than another random winner of the round. This opposes what we used to do where we'd just grab the winners of the previous round and seed them again for entirely new matchups. Again, many reasons for this. For starters it improves transparency on our side, so we get less suspicion of bias. It also allows you to plan out your competition performance since you'll have an idea of who you might be matched up against in future rounds. This is more of an experiment than something that we feel is necessary (unlike the Round 1 grouping which we do think is necessary), so if it doesn't work out we'll keep that in mind and avoid it next time.

Hope that clears things up!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 07:46:54

At 7/8/14 06:36 AM, Step wrote: Basically, for those still unsure about how the contest works, what we're probably going to do is:

1.) Choose 64 participants from the auditions.
2.) Turn them into 16 groups of 4.
3.) Get the highest-scoring musician from each group and advance them to the next round (meaning 16 winners).
4.) The competition continues like this.

Will there be a Battle for Place 3, too? In general: Groups are cool, Brackets are also cool :D

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 08:07:50

(just think about last year, when etherealwinds and headphoamz got something like 9.4 and 9.3 between them - it seems profoundly unfair that headphoamz would be kicked out with such a great piece!)

that was a sad day :(( i love you @headphoamz

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 08:10:26

At 7/8/14 08:07 AM, etherealwinds wrote:
(just think about last year, when etherealwinds and headphoamz got something like 9.4 and 9.3 between them - it seems profoundly unfair that headphoamz would be kicked out with such a great piece!)

Yeah that was harsh. But the fact the first group is seeded you might not see anything like that until later in the game.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 08:29:39

Okay, so in response to the "you'll be pitted against the winner of the group you're next to" or whatever, bad English as I'm in a rush to go to lunch. How will the order of the groups be decided and how will the initial matchups be decided? :)

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 09:03:04

At 7/8/14 08:29 AM, etherealwinds wrote: Okay, so in response to the "you'll be pitted against the winner of the group you're next to" or whatever, bad English as I'm in a rush to go to lunch. How will the order of the groups be decided and how will the initial matchups be decided? :)

Yep, I'm interested to know this as well. Someone above me suggested a selection by YouTube or something along those lines. Just simply, how is this meant to be done?

Is it going to be a random selection of which four go against each other, or is it going to be a careful picking of who should go against who, depending on their strengths and weaknesses?

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 09:22:03

At 7/8/14 09:03 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 7/8/14 08:29 AM, etherealwinds wrote: Okay, so in response to the "you'll be pitted against the winner of the group you're next to" or whatever, bad English as I'm in a rush to go to lunch. How will the order of the groups be decided and how will the initial matchups be decided? :)
Yep, I'm interested to know this as well. Someone above me suggested a selection by YouTube or something along those lines. Just simply, how is this meant to be done?

Is it going to be a random selection of which four go against each other, or is it going to be a careful picking of who should go against who, depending on their strengths and weaknesses?

We will be seeding groups based on genres typically produced by the artist, and how likely that person is to produce exciting stuff over the course of the contest. This is not to say we will be biased towards people we percieved as "top of the group" before the contest. Each and every person in the group will get equal and fair scoring, and upsets are far from impossible (in fact they tend to happen a lot). The winner of each group (16 of them) will then be seeded into 8 parings of 2 contestants each. Each pairing is placed in the bracket shown in the diagram, and from then on there will be no further seeding. The winner of a pairing will go on to face the winner of the neighbouring pairing, and so on and so forth until the final.

If there's any further questions, feel free to PM me so I can explain in more detail.

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 09:22:18

Well its not done yet but i think it will suffice for now.
Contrary (Preview)

Beware that whenever the sun rays touch my skin i will pop like a flower and show my true colors.

Oh and you might see me play rocket league lol

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 11:24:22

At 7/7/14 12:48 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: I hear there might be steamy zippers in this contest

That'd be a nice stripper name.

*avoids subject*

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 11:53:17

I like it! :)

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 12:55:51

At 7/8/14 11:24 AM, ZipZipper wrote:
At 7/7/14 12:48 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: I hear there might be steamy zippers in this contest
That'd be a nice stripper name.

*avoids subject*

Mmm, steamy zippers. Will you unzip for me?

Also, this is why there should probably be a discussion thread, we've totally flooded this with discussion of the scoring.

Also also, I REALLY SUPPORT the organization that @midimachine said. I don't think it would get rid of awesome submissions, since (as has been said many times) upsets *do* happen. It would be more fair to the stronger contestants, meaning more awesome matchups later on, and the underdogs might feel they have more of a chance even if they're in a group with two good people - after all, they have twice the likelihood that one will drop the ball and let them through.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 13:18:44

At 7/8/14 08:10 AM, PeterSatera wrote:
At 7/8/14 08:07 AM, etherealwinds wrote:

Yeah that was harsh. But the fact the first group is seeded you might not see anything like that until later in the game.

love you too EW <3
The group part is very intriguing. Seems like a much faster and easier process, but like I was telling @etherealwinds, so much more competitive!

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 13:23:30

Here's what I have! First time trying out for this competition. Good luck to everyone!

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 14:33:43

Aw, man...I kind of liked the YouTube showcase idea...plus I really wanted to hear what a Maltese accent sounded like! ^^

"Time's fun when you're having flies." ~Kermit the Frog

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 14:48:38

BBS Signature

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 17:51:48

I will enter with this song, Good luck Everyone :)

PS : The flower was also made by me

N G A D M '14: Auditions

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 18:14:10

At 7/8/14 02:33 PM, TheDoor6 wrote: I really wanted to hear what a Maltese accent sounded like! ^^

No. You don't.

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 18:14:38

My song

Best of luck to all!

Response to N G A D M '14: Auditions 2014-07-08 19:04:37

There's seriously a lot of awesome tracks in here. I've already added loads of them to my fav's they're so good! 0_o

BBS Signature