00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

4ng3lzh4untm3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Trying to Find a Game Theme

1,497 Views | 8 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Trying to Find a Game Theme 2014-05-17 19:59:40

This is a repost, but it was suggested that I should ask again here. Sorry if that is uncouth.

I have been working for many months on my first commercial game release on Android. The game will be called Heartbreak and it is meant to be a casual, but challenging Breakout-inspired game. You can see a glimpse of the game's basic look (from an early prototype) here.

As you may note, the music in that video is the superb Strike Back by Modigs. Heartbreak was originally made for the 2013 Game Jam and Strike Back was chosen as the theme song for the game. It has remained a constant part of Heartbreak in every iteration since and I think it's pretty much perfect for the mood I want to convey. I like how it has a mysterious tone while still being upbeat and exciting, but it doesn't come out the gate lie an angry bull; instead, it starts with a punch, then draws back, letting the mood build, before breaking in again with a good, strong beat that matches the heart beating on screen.

Here's the problem: Strike Back, like most songs on Newgrounds, are non-commercial unless one gets specific permission, and Modigs is very, very hard to get a hold of. I have contacted him multiple times on Newgrounds and Facebook before he finally responded on Facebook after about 2-3 months of my attempts to get a hold of him. His final word? He was cool with me using it, but I had to ask permission from his manager, whom he failed to give any contact information for. I managed to find a Facebook and email for his manager and contacted him myself, but it's been about three weeks now with no response. Frankly, I'm exhausted and frustrated from waiting and I don't want the game's release date to hang on permission for one song.

So the long-winded question here is: can anyone suggest any great songwriters here on Newgrounds who are relatively easy to get a hold of, open to allowing their song to be used in a commercial game release, and have a style of music that hits a style/emotional tone similar to Modigs' Strike Back? If anyone has any suggestions, it would be an enormous help!

Response to Trying to Find a Game Theme 2014-05-18 17:50:31

You can take a look through my music. I might not be exactly what you're looking for, but i do pack a lot of emotion into my edm.

http://www.soundcloud.com/forfeit

[redshift]

SoundCloud

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to Find a Game Theme 2014-05-19 02:02:47

I have some cool tracks you might like, here are few examples:

DJVI - Base After Base
DJVI - Can't Let Go
DJVI - Active

Check out my YouTube channel for more :)

Newest song: Rippers

Response to Trying to Find a Game Theme 2014-05-19 02:16:03

What kind of timeline do you have? I can throw something similar together for you by the end of the week if you like, and if you decide to use it just give me credits at the bottom of the home screen or something.

Response to Trying to Find a Game Theme 2014-05-21 18:16:39

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but feel free to use some of my work, as long as you're willing to give me credit!

http://jetzasghost.newgrounds.com/

Response to Trying to Find a Game Theme 2014-05-22 08:41:49

This seems to fit what you're looking for.

However, it's not made by me. You'll have to contact @dj-Nate yourself and I have no idea if he still visits Newgrounds regularly (his last activity on here was months ago), so I don't know how much luck you'll have getting hold of him.

As for me, unfortunately EDM isn't my strong point at all and I rarely make any of it, but here are some tracks of mine that MIGHT kind of fit what you're looking for.

Feel free to use any of them commercially as long as I'm given credit. Good luck with the game!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Trying to Find a Game Theme 2014-05-26 17:35:10

Sorry for the long wait for this response--I moved to a new apartment and haven't had Internet access.

Thanks so much for all the great responses! I'll go through everyone's portfolios and see if anything catches my attention in particular. If not, the offer to create something new is amazingly generous and would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, all!

Response to Trying to Find a Game Theme 2014-06-03 21:53:07

Hey, sounds promising. I would sure like to write a track for you.
I think you might like my work, and I've been looking for this kind of opportunity for ages.

Check out my soundcloud page and let me know if something interests you (I'm new to NG so I've only uploaded 1 track yet):
https://soundcloud.com/propagandatool

Looking forward to playing your game!

Cedric