00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Wulfwynne just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Search for a Game Theme

441 Views | 0 Replies

The Search for a Game Theme 2014-05-17 19:27:53

I supremely apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this kind of thing in, but I want input from people who know music--something I sadly know very, very little about.

I have been working for many months on my first commercial game release on Android. The game will be called Heartbreak and it is meant to be a casual, but challenging Breakout-inspired game. You can see a glimpse of the game's basic look (from an early prototype) here.

As you may note, the music in that video is the superb Strike Back by Modigs. Heartbreak was originally made for the 2013 Game Jam and Strike Back was chosen as the theme song for the game. It has remained a constant part of Heartbreak in every iteration since and I think it's pretty much perfect for the mood I want to convey. I like how it has a mysterious tone while still being upbeat and exciting, but it doesn't come out the gate lie an angry bull; instead, it starts with a punch, then draws back, letting the mood build, before breaking in again with a good, strong beat that matches the heart beating on screen.

Here's the problem: Strike Back, like most songs on Newgrounds, are non-commercial unless one gets specific permission, and Modigs is very, very hard to get a hold of. I have contacted him multiple times on Newgrounds and Facebook before he finally responded on Facebook after about 2-3 months of my attempts to get a hold of him. His final word? He was cool with me using it, but I had to ask permission from his manager, whom he failed to give any contact information for. I managed to find a Facebook and email for his manager and contacted him myself, but it's been about three weeks now with no response. Frankly, I'm exhausted and frustrated from waiting and I don't want the game's release date to hang on permission for one song.

So the long-winded question here is: can anyone suggest any great songwriters here on Newgrounds who are relatively easy to get a hold of, open to allowing their song to be used in a commercial game release, and have a style of music that hits a style/emotional tone similar to Modigs' Strike Back? If anyone has any suggestions, it would be an enormous help!