00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Em0-Snail just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Thinking About Buying Snes

713 Views | 17 Replies

Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 01:47:56

Wonder if I should. I never really got to play retro games.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 01:55:15

why not rom it?

Most of the old SNES games are really hard to find anyways. Thats why they were ported over to ROMs in the first place

as long as you already own the old game its not a problem.

Alot of the old nintendo cartriges are really poorly made and may have bit creep. I have a couple old nintendo game that won't work just because they're 20 something years old

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 01:58:16

At 4/12/14 01:55 AM, Kel-chan wrote: why not rom it?

I don't know how to get it on PC.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 02:02:11

The SNES has become a pretty expensive console to collect for now. If you think you have the money to spend $30+ a piece for 20 year old games, then go right ahead. It's a great system with a varied and exciting library, it's just a bit pricey due to being in high demand.

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 02:03:14

At 4/12/14 02:02 AM, Oolaph wrote: The SNES has become a pretty expensive console to collect for now. If you think you have the money to spend $30+ a piece for 20 year old games, then go right ahead. It's a great system with a varied and exciting library, it's just a bit pricey due to being in high demand.

I looked on amazon or some place like that. Found one for 70 bucks. Not to bad.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 02:17:20

At 4/12/14 01:47 AM, MontosBonos wrote: Wonder if I should. I never really got to play retro games.

Why wonder? Super Metroid, Earthbound, Chrone Trigger, A Link To The Past, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, Super Star Wars games, Secret Of Mana, Final Fantasy 3.

Just do it!

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 02:26:13

At 4/12/14 02:10 AM, Piggler wrote:
I listed my SNES and all my games on ebay a whole week ago, and not a single bid.
I'm taking at least a fifty dollar loss and still nobody wants it. Where is this high demand?

What games are you selling?

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 02:28:49

At 4/12/14 02:17 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 4/12/14 01:47 AM, MontosBonos wrote: Wonder if I should. I never really got to play retro games.
Why wonder? Super Metroid, Earthbound, Chrone Trigger, A Link To The Past, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, Super Star Wars games, Secret Of Mana, Final Fantasy 3.

Just do it!

I agree. The newer consoles have some great games, but there are also very memorable ones for the older. I would definitely consider it if I were you.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 02:31:04

At 4/12/14 01:58 AM, MontosBonos wrote: I don't know how to get it on PC.

Are you serious? It's so easy to emulate SNES games it's crazy.

You should get a Super Nintendo. You should also have a CRT TV to play it on so there isn't lag. There's tons of great shit on the Super Nintendo.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 02:38:39

At 4/12/14 02:32 AM, Piggler wrote:
At 4/12/14 02:26 AM, StorybookSeven wrote: What games are you selling?
A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Earthworm Jim, and Aladdin. It's not a lot of games, but I feel like it's a reasonable amount considering the box size, shipping weight, and the fact that I have to fit the system, cords, and two controllers in the same box.

I'm selling Donkey Kong Country 2 in a separate auction just in case nobody buys the system bundle for a while.

I have to eat too, ya know.

Oh, you're selling it all off, including the console and controllers? Are you sure you would really want to get rid of it all?

I've been looking for Star Fox recently but I'm not seeing it anywhere. Out of those, I have A Link to the Past, Super Mario World, and DKC2, they're all superb games.

I feel you, selling your childhood games is kinda rough.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 02:56:00

At 4/12/14 02:03 AM, MontosBonos wrote: I looked on amazon or some place like that. Found one for 70 bucks. Not to bad.

Found a Super Nintendo console for $70? That's a bit pricey, if you're serious about getting one you should look around for a bit and you can probably grab one for $45 or so. If you meant $70 for a game, then yeah you're going to come across that sort of price quite often for the games that are more sought after, usually cartridge only too. If you want a cheaper but not-so-authentic experience, you can hook up a USB controller to your computer and go for the big "E".

At 4/12/14 02:10 AM, Piggler wrote: Not really. Compared to $400 for a PS4, a moderate $70 for a SNES is much better.

It also does much less than a PS4 and is 20 years old, it's not really fair to compare it to something that just came out. I'm not saying you have to be rich to play it, but it's much more expensive than the Genesis where you can still get complete-in-box titles for like $8.

Maybe if you want the really rare games. I bought all of my SNES cartridges for under $20. They're good titles too, like SMW, Earthworm Jim, DKC2, etc.

I'm assuming you mean you got them cartridge only or got really lucky, because all of those usually go for $35-60 boxed. Most of the games in the $70 range are things like Earthbound, which isn't actually hard to find, just expensive due to every collector wanting it.

I listed my SNES and all my games on ebay a whole week ago, and not a single bid.
I'm taking at least a fifty dollar loss and still nobody wants it. Where is this high demand?

Over saturation, plus I don't think people don't tend to buy lots on Ebay as often as they buy single games. "Retro" collecting is a complete mess. You have people constantly trying to sell for ridiculous prices, people falling for it and buying at the ridiculous prices, the average price of the games slowly rise due to people knowing they can get away with it, and then clueless people coming in and selling that same $60 game for $5 that get snatched up within minutes. Lesser known titles also quickly rise in price when popular people like AVGN or Game Grumps cover them in a video. Of course the prices vary greatly depending on where you look, you could find a great deal and a complete rip-off on the very same webpage due to different sellers selling at whatever price they want since there's no real price standard for these things.

But like I said, you're not going to go broke getting games for the system, but for someone that "never got to play retro games" dropping up to $90 for the console and cartridge to get your first taste might be a bit much.

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 02:58:22

At 4/12/14 02:51 AM, Piggler wrote:
At 4/12/l14 02:38 AM, StorybookSeven wrote: Oh, you're selling it all off, including the console and controllers? Are you sure you would really want to get rid of it all?
Yeah, I'm not one to hold on to a lot of possessions. My room is cluttered as all shit and if I get a hundred bucks and a cleaner room, then I'll be happy.

I really don't have anything to clutter my room with except my stacks of books, papers, and sometimes clothes on the floor. What condition are the controllers in?

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 06:44:21

Snes console is a collecters item so you're gonna have to look hard for a cheap one. Since the snes emulators are close to perfection you could install emulators n roms.

Get lyrically fit!!!!

Props to Embr for putting my sig into shape!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 09:40:55

If you got the cash to blow and you want one to hold and press the buttons and such, do it. If not, I've heard its very easy to acquire a ROM for it...I used to have a large library of roms, but I'm too scurred to download them again because I don't know what website to trust, I'm too lazy to research it, and quite frankly the last thing I need right now is yet another distraction from things I've procrastinating.

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 10:26:18

Go for it. The SNES is one of the best consoles ever made.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 10:40:02

I think you shouldnt. You missed out by not being born or not being able to afford it at the time its too late now and you missed the boat. Game over.

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 10:47:54

At 4/12/14 10:40 AM, NeNe wrote:
I think you shouldnt. You missed out by not being born or not being able to afford it at the time its too late now and you missed the boat. Game over.

Ah, no it's not.

BBS Signature

Response to Thinking About Buying Snes 2014-04-12 16:56:20

I say go for it.
Also, I have seen quite a lot of SNESes going for pretty cheap. Like $20 and under cheap. Hell mine was only $10 and it came with Super Mario All-Stars and Doom! Granted SM AS was JUST the cart but Doom was still in the box with everything still in it. I could probably get more out of just that than I did paying for all that stuff. And I've seen a ton of SNES games that are pretty cheap. Not just around here, but online. So it's not like you'd break the bank getting a couple games and the console.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature