00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GMan2006i just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Will PC Desktops become obsolete?

4,933 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-29 21:01:45

Years ago if you wanted the best performance out of a PC, you would choose a desktop no doubt about it. But I've recently come to a realization, technology is advancing quickly. Before laptops couldn't do the things PCs were able to do, but with quick advancement of computers, laptops are becoming much more optimal. What do you think? Do you think there could be some truth to it or am I just being stupid?

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-29 21:25:32

stupid

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-29 22:38:11

Best case scenario the master beings of 2036 will let us plug a mouse, keyboard and monitor into our One Tablet, provided we pass the privilege check.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 00:57:58

Gaming laptops are large, heavy, eat battery, heat up like hell, and hella expensive, it'll happen one day, but not soon.

If ya have something to say, PM me. I have a lot of time to spare.

Also never PM egg82.

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 03:13:14

I bought a laptop about 3 years ago because I didn't really have a desk to have a computer and it was less expensive than buying a desktop. now that I actually have a desk I wish i would have waited and got a desktop with it. Using my laptop on my desk just feels wrong.

my vote goes for no. Laptop are just a bit more trendy atm.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 03:16:57

You can fit a lot of heavy hardware into a desktop, as it isn't meant to be mobile. Laptops will get better, but so will desktops. I think they'll always be a thing. Time will tell, though.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 03:37:29

not anytime soon. if you want a heavy hitting processing unit you go with PC. hell you can easily get a beastly machine in a mid tower to do anything.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 08:18:12

Back in the day, a normal computer filled an entire room and was difficult to use. One of today's PC will beat it in every way imaginable. However, those giant centers aren't obsolete, they just took a massive upgrade and became supercomputers, performing functions like server hosting. At some point, a mobile device may become more powerful than a current PC, but the equivalent PC in those times will be much more powerful than that, simply because you can cram more technology into it than a phone. I can see PCs following the same path as the room-sized computers, using them as a computing powerhouses that send information back to less powerful devices in your room or whatever.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 12:01:25

At 7/29/13 09:01 PM, darklink4567 wrote: What do you think?

The glorious PC master race is too smug to give up

*sigh*

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 14:07:59

Hahaha.

Check out the Flash RPG I made in 2024. It takes about 25 minutes to complete.

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 16:11:45

I think all-in-ones and mini PCs will take over the mainstream desktop market.

Builders will still have options like cases, boards and video cards.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 17:15:03

as long as I can Build my rig with performance parts I am happy.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 17:42:14

I think most people will get laptops or tablets, but gamers and people that need a lot of power will use desktops.

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 17:58:34

More serious reply: most of the money and innovation goes into the mobile market today, and johnny average consumer has little reason to choose a PC over a tablet anymore. It's safe to say PCs as we know them today will be phased out in our lifetime but tablets will likely retain mouse, keyboard and monitor support. And of course there'll still be enthusiasts building and using desktops, but within a few decades tablets will be advanced enough to seriously compete as powerful gaming machines.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 18:05:10

Only a sucker would own a desktop when omni-tools are invented.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 18:32:04

I've read that Intel will slowly be phasing out their LGA socket line in favor of a soldered-on BGA approach.

All this means is that you'll have the option of buying motherboards with the processors built right in - Heatsinks will still be replaceable, as always.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 19:29:41

it will take quite a while for PC's to be phased if at all. by 10-30 years Mobile devices should have the power to have todays High performance PC standards but there will still be PC with even higher performance and the cycle goes on.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 19:52:09

It's not going away. Not anytime soon at least.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 20:22:42

As of now no. As far as I know laptops are not as customizable as desktops are in terms of hardware. The other problem is just they're more awkward to use especially when you're outside. Lights go on making the screen get alot of glare, it's hard to get a nice surface to get a plug in mouse in and the built in mouse is not good for PC gaming. So what happens? You pretty much only play PC games at home.....negating the point of the laptop in the first place. Desktop monitors and the stability of the desktop make them better for gaming. Besides most people play video games for hours on end, so a laptop is kind of redundant when you're just sitting at home.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 22:28:28

At 7/29/13 09:01 PM, darklink4567 wrote: Before laptops couldn't do the things PCs were able to do, but with quick advancement of computers, laptops are becoming much more optimal. What do you think? Do you think there could be some truth to it or am I just being stupid?

Desktop PC's will always be at least one step ahead of laptops.

Think about it, if you want power and a laptop is powerful then it's PC counterpart will either be cheaper or more powerful.

To protect the world from devastation.

kidd25 is the best Newgrounder ever.

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-30 23:10:05

desktops will always be around because of they are used for the prototypes for new hard and software. it usually goes like this on the technological chart where new technology goes and repeats.

PC > Laptops > Mobile then it repeats.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-31 05:29:39

I sure hope they don't...

Cartoonist lad, occasional BBS poster and all-round human hailing from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

NOTICE: Anyone caught posting A.I. 'art' on Newgrounds.com will have their balls ripped off and flushed down the toilet.

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-07-31 11:52:08

I think it won't.
Laptops' insides arent replacable.
So if you want to have a certain kind of new graphics card, you can't do that on the laptop.
Also, almost every part of a desktop are replacable.
Laptops are just handy to carry outside, or if you have a small room.

Drawin' and being trash. :3

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-08-01 11:01:41

No matter how much people deny it, it is closer to happening than most of us think. I mean, if you consider that you can put i7s and GTX 680s in mITX cases, then surely the desktop is going to have miniturization.

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-08-02 05:45:07

No. Desktops are far more stronger than gaming laptops, and they can be upgraded.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-08-02 07:14:01

not until Mobile devices or laptops are equal or exceed the performance in power and customization for farts (swapping in and out) like the PC. otherwise it isn't going anywhere.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-08-02 14:30:16

Not until cloud computing is connected to super computers. As is, high power desktops have heavy usage as graphics and scientific tools. As long as game designers, scientists, animators, and etc. need a computer, manufacturers will produce extra units to sell to consumers to offset a loss.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-08-02 14:52:22

Hell no as long as technology advances PCs will always get the good stuff first until they can downsize it to mobile size and by then a new technology will already be out for the PC. PCs will always be relevent.

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-08-03 08:37:29

laptops will NEVER be better then desktops

BBS Signature

Response to Will PC Desktops become obsolete? 2013-08-03 16:02:37

This could possibly be one of the dumbest topics I've evr seen on Newgrounds. I could see desktops and the gaming cases being obsolete maybe 50-60 yrs from now, but that is a long time from now.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.