00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

lazyliving456 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Why is Nintendo not...

3,025 Views | 42 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-19 18:48:37

Purchasing 3rd party content, paying for ports. Or investing in major new Ips?

And last of all, why is there marketing and upcoming game news so lacking?

I love Nintendo, and I know they can foretell a problem. In those board meetings with execs, this topic had to have come up.. what are they doing?!

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 12:23:54

No one can come up with a guess?

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 12:50:00

At 1/20/13 12:27 PM, Protagonist wrote: Haven't you heard of Bayonetta 2? Besides, Nintendo likes to keep things underwraps. We have no idea what they're going because they're doing it behind closed doors.

I think that actually hurts them in the long run. Being so secretive, Nintendo sometimes waits until the last six months to release new game information.
It is good that Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive, but it is not a system seller.

I really hope, that Nintendo get's more 3rd party content for 2013. It would really suck if the Wii U turned into the Virtual Boy...We all know had bad that went...

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 13:15:53

At 1/20/13 12:50 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote:

I really hope, that Nintendo get's more 3rd party content for 2013. It would really suck if the Wii U turned into the Virtual Boy...We all know had bad that went...

The 3DS was more at risk at being the Virtual, for obvious reasons. The Wii U is merging the dual screen-ness of the DS with the motion controls of the Wii, which is actually quite amazing.

The fact that they keep delaying their biggest title (Pikmin 3) is annoying, but if Miyamoto delays a game, it is for good reason.

But still, delaying games almost screwed the 3DS over. If no Mario Land or Kart came out for it in its first year, the 3DS would be long forgotten by now.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 14:39:25

At 1/19/13 06:48 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote: Purchasing 3rd party content, paying for ports. Or investing in major new Ips?

Because most modern, big name IP's, suck major ass.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 14:56:41

At 1/20/13 02:39 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/19/13 06:48 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote: Purchasing 3rd party content, paying for ports. Or investing in major new Ips?
Because most modern, big name IP's, suck major ass.

Which ones?

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 15:11:45

At 1/20/13 02:56 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote: Which ones?

Call of Duty, God of War, Battlefield, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 15:31:41

At 1/20/13 03:11 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/20/13 02:56 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote: Which ones?
Call of Duty, God of War, Battlefield, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed

See, your statement boils down to a matter of opinion.

I like all those games, my statements are facts, such as. Nintendo's 3rd party is weaker than PS3 or Xbox, Nintendo does have a history of keeping a lid on it's games.

Please only post facts

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 15:33:33

The Wii-U does have a few ported titles such Arkham city and Mass effect 3.

This is where I wrote something funny

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 15:44:39

At 1/20/13 03:33 PM, Mismo wrote: The Wii-U does have a few ported titles such Arkham city and Mass effect 3.

Which is the problem, I could speculate why, it could boil down to money, developers not seeing the system as true next gen..

I love Nintendo, but they need to snatch up more exclusives and reboot older titles. Nintendo cannot rely on Mario and Zelda alone anymore to carry the system. The 3DS is doing pretty good. It had a rough start, and I would like to see the Wii U have a good turnaround.

But without more titles and news of upcoming games, it might lead to Wii U being neglected by gamers and developers alike.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 16:10:04

", paying for ports"

last time i checked, nintendo ports sometimes sucked.

i mean check out these games then their pc/modern day(ps3/xbox 360) counterparts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlezone:_Rise_of_the_Black_D ogs

pc: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlezone_%281998_video_game%2 9

anybody who has also played Duke Nukem 64 will notice the immense lack of content from the PC version of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_3D

filler text

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 17:05:36

Nintendo had some good games. But i never played more than Zelda, Mario and Duck Hunt.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 19:09:51

At 1/20/13 03:31 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote: Please only post facts

Those are facts.

Those games are designed horribly, full of filler, and are not worth Nintendo's time.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 19:21:58

At 1/20/13 07:09 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/20/13 03:31 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote:
Those are facts.

No, those are opinions, and shitty ones at that. To think otherwise is not only doing a disservice to games today, but is clearly ignorant to the fact that the majority of fans so happen to enjoy those games, and are usually rated high for a good reason.

Those games are designed horribly, full of filler, and are not worth Nintendo's time.

Ok, then what games would constitute having excellent design, and be worthy of Nintendo's time then?

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 20:01:36

At 1/20/13 04:10 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: ", paying for ports"

last time i checked, nintendo ports sometimes sucked.

i mean check out these games then their pc/modern day(ps3/xbox 360) counterparts

Why are we talking about Wii games? The Wii U is out. The 3DS is out. Both surpass their predecessor in terms of power. Nintendo makes a lot of sacrifices that appear stupid to the casual obderver, but they ultimately save Nintendo a lot of money.

Censoring Mortal Kombat kept the politicians off their backs. Keeping cartridges for the N64 saved them thousands from what would be pirated into CDs.

Nintendo most likely has a lot of games that they don't want to slip out right now. Probably games many people will scoff at as well, which is why it is better to unveil them when they are at a playable stage, so people don't criticize them.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 20:37:12

At 1/20/13 08:01 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
Nintendo most likely has a lot of games that they don't want to slip out right now. Probably games many people will scoff at as well, which is why it is better to unveil them when they are at a playable stage, so people don't criticize them.

If they were smart, instead of relying on 3rd party games, they'd bring back some franchises we haven't seen in a while like Star Fox, Earthbound, Mr. Game & Watch, or F-Zero. That would be awesome and breathe new life into the Wii U.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 21:17:04

At 1/20/13 03:11 PM, LemonCrush wrote: God of War

I had respect for you up until I read that. Besides, Nintendo couldn't even touch that franchise; Sony has all the rights to it and I really doubt that they're going to try and help out competition with handing over one of their most beloved series under the PlayStation brand.

And you said Assassin's Creed also. Haven't they already ported Assassin's Creed 3 to Wii U? Or am I just mistaken?

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 21:25:32

At 1/20/13 07:21 PM, orangebomb wrote: No, those are opinions, and shitty ones at that. To think otherwise is not only doing a disservice to games today, but is clearly ignorant to the fact that the majority of fans so happen to enjoy those games, and are usually rated high for a good reason.

Lots of people like McDonalds and Justin Bieber. Does that make them good? Modern devs rely too much on realistic graphics, not enough on gameplay or innovation

Ok, then what games would constitute having excellent design, and be worthy of Nintendo's time then?

Creative stories, difficulty curve, interesting and innovative ideas. Intuitive design.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 21:27:19

At 1/20/13 08:37 PM, ZJ wrote:
If they were smart, instead of relying on 3rd party games, they'd bring back some franchises we haven't seen in a while like Star Fox, Earthbound, Mr. Game & Watch, or F-Zero. That would be awesome and breathe new life into the Wii U.

And bring them back to their glory of what people want them to be. Every good franchise Nintendo has has become (forcefully) a different type of game

Starfox- Bring it back to a normal rail ship shooter
Earthbound- Never gonna happen
Game and Watch- Eh...
F-Zero- Make a decnt racing game

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 21:28:56

At 1/20/13 09:17 PM, Trapex wrote: I had respect for you up until I read that.

God of War sucks. It's Devil May Cry with a bunch of extra bullshit.

And you said Assassin's Creed also. Haven't they already ported Assassin's Creed 3 to Wii U? Or am I just mistaken?

Eh, probably.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 21:34:49

At 1/20/13 09:27 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/20/13 08:37 PM, ZJ wrote:

Starfox- Bring it back to a normal rail ship shooter

They remade 64 for 3DS. It has not been forgotten.

Earthbound- Never gonna happen

Two characters and a villain were in Brawl. Olimar and Pit from Kid Icarus were both in Brawl, the former having a game coming out this year, and the latter having his first game in decades last year.

Game and Watch- Eh...

Was in Brawl and Nintendo Land. See last point.

F-Zero- Make a decnt racing game

This was in Nintendo Land, Wii Music, and Smash Bros for years. Most likely going to be made sooner or later.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 21:43:36

At 1/20/13 09:25 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/20/13 07:21 PM, orangebomb wrote:
Lots of people like McDonalds and Justin Bieber. Does that make them good?

Which proves what exactly? If a lot people like something, then there will be more of it, that's basic econ 101.

Modern devs rely too much on realistic graphics, not enough on gameplay or innovation

Now you sound like that idiot Carbon64 who thinks that they should cut back on graphics just because there isn't enough gameplay or whatever, plus, it's not like developers intentionally sacrifice gameplay for better graphics if that's what your thinking. I get that gameplay is more important than graphics, {duh} but that DOESN'T mean that devs should half-ass the graphics on a game.

As for the innovation argument, there is no concrete answer to what innovation is, other than indie games/developers who are mostly shit and is popular with hipsters. These gamers can't be satisfied with what's out there now, despite having many different genres available if they take the time to look.

Creative stories, difficulty curve, interesting and innovative ideas. Intuitive design.

All of them subjective. Once again, innovation is not in concrete because it means so many things to different people. Why can't some people realize that we advance a lot in each generation of consoles and games?

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-20 23:51:25

At 1/20/13 07:21 PM, orangebomb wrote:
At 1/20/13 07:09 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/20/13 03:31 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote:
Those are facts.
No, those are opinions, and shitty ones at that.To think otherwise is not only doing a disservice to games today, but is clearly ignorant to the fact that the majority of fans so happen to enjoy those games, and are usually rated high for a good reason.

I am sorry, we must of got off on the wrong foot. Or did you miss the train heading to Denver State Hospital. Out of no where on unknown pretenses.You bash my statement by calling it "shitty" and not giving a explanation other than, "To think otherwise is not only doing a disservice to games today"

I just have to assume were not on the same courteous levels of conversation. Let alone start arguing like teenagers.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-21 01:14:43

At 1/20/13 09:34 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote:
At 1/20/13 09:27 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Starfox- Bring it back to a normal rail ship shooter
They remade 64 for 3DS. It has not been forgotten.

I think it's implied that he means a completely new game.

I do think that Starfox with on-foot objectives do have a lot of potential. It just hasn't been done right on Assault. It can be amazing on co-op modes.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-21 01:51:41

At 1/20/13 09:34 PM, Bobbybroccoli wrote: They remade 64 for 3DS. It has not been forgotten.

A re-release of a 15 year old game, does not count

Two characters and a villain were in Brawl. Olimar and Pit from Kid Icarus were both in Brawl, the former having a game coming out this year, and the latter having his first game in decades last year.

Earthbound will not happen. The creator has been saying for years there will not be a Mother 4. He has mention some sort of Mother related thing, but at the same time, said it would not be a virtual console. Mother is done in the US.

Was in Brawl and Nintendo Land. See last point.

But it's stupid

This was in Nintendo Land, Wii Music, and Smash Bros for years. Most likely going to be made sooner or later.

No it wasn't. A charcter was in Brawl and it had a mini game or two based on it.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-21 01:54:48

At 1/20/13 09:43 PM, orangebomb wrote: Which proves what exactly? If a lot people like something, then there will be more of it, that's basic econ 101.

True. But my point is popularity has nothing to do with quality.

Now you sound like that idiot Carbon64 who thinks that they should cut back on graphics just because there isn't enough gameplay or whatever, plus, it's not like developers intentionally sacrifice gameplay for better graphics if that's what your thinking. I get that gameplay is more important than graphics, {duh} but that DOESN'T mean that devs should half-ass the graphics on a game.

No, I'm not saying they should half-ass graphics. I'm saying they should NOT half-ass gameplay, and not rely on graphics to sell games.

As for the innovation argument, there is no concrete answer to what innovation is, other than indie games/developers who are mostly shit and is popular with hipsters. These gamers can't be satisfied with what's out there now, despite having many different genres available if they take the time to look.

Major releases these days consist of shooting people. That's it. Games like Limbo or Braid, are innovative. Call of Duty, is not.

All of them subjective. Once again, innovation is not in concrete because it means so many things to different people. Why can't some people realize that we advance a lot in each generation of consoles and games?

Games haven't been evolving at all. It's all BS hand holding gameplay with nothing fun or interesting about it.

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-21 08:32:06

At 1/20/13 12:50 PM, StrapOnFetus wrote:
At 1/20/13 12:27 PM, Protagonist wrote:
I think that actually hurts them in the long run. Being so secretive, Nintendo sometimes waits until the last six months to
release new game information.

Why the hell does it matter when they release the information? You're still not going to be able to get your hands on it until the release of it. Six months is plenty of time.

Seriously, who even reads these things anymore?

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-21 12:54:58

You're right about 3rd party content, they mainly rely on Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, Metroid etc to have their consoles sell well. Now don't get me wrong these series are great but these series aren't every bodies cup of tea. Zelda can be too puzzling for some, Metroid too dark, Pokemon too and i quote from many of my friends "slow" and Mario, repetitive. Nintendo have had a lot of third party support for the Wii u's launch window but they need to keep that up to hold the fans until they release first party titles like Star fox, they can't just rely on their own company, yet at the same time it can be a good thing, look at Sony for example, they rely too much on third party developers and many of the mascots like Crash and Spyro bit the dust before the PS2 was 4 years old.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-21 12:58:08

Actually the series might come to a stop. The creator of F-zero doesn't know how to continue the series that makes it feel fresh, if he does get some good ideas we get a Wii u game, if not then you better have an old copy lying around somewhere.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Why is Nintendo not... 2013-01-21 17:16:08

At 1/21/13 12:54 PM, darkjam wrote:

I agree