Be a Supporter!

A bigger, stronger community

  • 1,087 Views
  • 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 14:19:12 Reply

I'm not expecting much for this thread...because when things like this are posted here, they just..die

But anyway, I'm a big fan of NG animators like Egoraptor, Oney, RubberNinja, Hotdiggedydemon, etc, and I really admire their sense community among them. They all collaborate from time to time, and all support each other...like a team almost.

And I wonder to myself why the NG music community doesn't have a similar camaraderie? Everything here seems very competitive, or too broad. Yes, we have the "Audio Advert" thread, but it's sooo full of millions of songs you know? I just think there's a real potential for us to get involved in each other's work, as far as promotion and exposure goes, which I'd be willing to bet is something we all could use.

Ooorrrr, I could just be crazy. Maybe there is a strong community, and I'm just missing out

But if I'm right, what do you guys suggest we can do to support and promote each other? I, personally suggest doing a follow for follow thing on twitter, or sub for sub type thing on Youtube.

I don't know, maybe I'm just blowing hot air, but I think a tight knit group of NG musicians could be really beneficial.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 14:52:49 Reply

At 1/18/13 02:19 PM, LemonCrush wrote: I'm not expecting much for this thread...because when things like this are posted here, they just..die

But anyway, I'm a big fan of NG animators like Egoraptor, Oney, RubberNinja, Hotdiggedydemon, etc, and I really admire their sense community among them. They all collaborate from time to time, and all support each other...like a team almost.

And I wonder to myself why the NG music community doesn't have a similar camaraderie? Everything here seems very competitive, or too broad. Yes, we have the "Audio Advert" thread, but it's sooo full of millions of songs you know? I just think there's a real potential for us to get involved in each other's work, as far as promotion and exposure goes, which I'd be willing to bet is something we all could use.

Ooorrrr, I could just be crazy. Maybe there is a strong community, and I'm just missing out

But if I'm right, what do you guys suggest we can do to support and promote each other? I, personally suggest doing a follow for follow thing on twitter, or sub for sub type thing on Youtube.

I don't know, maybe I'm just blowing hot air, but I think a tight knit group of NG musicians could be really beneficial.

As far as I've been aware, the community's been tight-knit. It really depends on how willing we are to reach out to that bunch of musicians we want to commune with. I've had one or two friends willing to promote me, which is realistically what I would expect even from my multitude of friends.

Everyone knows that subforsubs or follow-for-follows don't garner respect, as is what happened with one of my friends from the Mario Paint Hangout who did such. If anyone follows me, I would rather he followed my updates out of the sincerity of his heart. And I follow people whom I know I will admire, or people whom I know have potential.

Also, the Friends system.


AMDG ✝ NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 15:05:03 Reply

At 1/18/13 02:52 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: As far as I've been aware, the community's been tight-knit. It really depends on how willing we are to reach out to that bunch of musicians we want to commune with. I've had one or two friends willing to promote me, which is realistically what I would expect even from my multitude of friends.

I guess you have a point. It's just that, even if your stuff is good, it's hard to get fans (or followers, or subscribers, etc) because there is sooo much material. The only way to really gain new fans and exposure is for someone else to plug you.

Everyone knows that subforsubs or follow-for-follows don't garner respect, as is what happened with one of my friends from the Mario Paint Hangout who did such. If anyone follows me, I would rather he followed my updates out of the sincerity of his heart. And I follow people whom I know I will admire, or people whom I know have potential.

I agree, but it's exposing yourself to people in the first place, that is the problem. I feel like the only way to accomplish this is to have other people plug you. I've uploaded probably an album's worth of material here, but it's very easy to get lost and recognized unless you have some sort of provenance.

Also, the Friends system.

Explain?

Neon-Bard
Neon-Bard
  • Member since: Aug. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 15:29:30 Reply

I agree with you Lemon, but I also agree with what Trois said as well. I think a follow-follow system generally works if there is a genuine interest in doing so as Trois pointed out. The portal, and sometimes the forum, seem a little too competitive and sometimes rough around the edges for my liking, which is why I tend to be little apprehensive about posting in the forum. Perhaps others feel the same way, which is why the portal has a lack of that true 'community' feeling. Perhaps this very train of thought is part of the reason why there is a slight lack of community. I don't really know.

However, that's not to say that I think this is a 'bad' place, no way, not a chance! I've been able to contact people from around the forum and portal and talk to them or even ask them questions about various things, and they are always willing to help! :)

Ultimately, I think that a stronger community would mean better and more meaningful music. That's why we're all here...isn't it?


If you have a moment, check out some of my work: [Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 15:33:11 Reply

I don't know about the audio portal but the audio forum has an okay community, there are collabs all the time.

At 1/18/13 02:19 PM, LemonCrush wrote: But if I'm right, what do you guys suggest we can do to support and promote each other? I, personally suggest doing a follow for follow thing on twitter, or sub for sub type thing on Youtube.

Yeah, well, let's get started.

The links are in my sig.

Clickem.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 15:38:25 Reply

At 1/18/13 03:29 PM, Neon-Bard wrote: I agree with you Lemon, but I also agree with what Trois said as well. I think a follow-follow system generally works if there is a genuine interest in doing so as Trois pointed out. The portal, and sometimes the forum, seem a little too competitive and sometimes rough around the edges for my liking, which is why I tend to be little apprehensive about posting in the forum. Perhaps others feel the same way, which is why the portal has a lack of that true 'community' feeling. Perhaps this very train of thought is part of the reason why there is a slight lack of community. I don't really know.

I agree with Trois too. She has a legitimate point.

But you agree with my point about the portal and forum being crazy (and I don't mean that in a bad way). It's very easy to get stuff lost in there. We could have the next (insert awesome musician here) but it gets easily buried because there's tons of stuff getting uploaded everyday.

However, that's not to say that I think this is a 'bad' place, no way, not a chance! I've been able to contact people from around the forum and portal and talk to them or even ask them questions about various things, and they are always willing to help! :)

I don't think it's bad either. It's great for collab and stuff, and requesting help. But it isn't really great for finding new fans...I have over 100 downloads...but only 5 fans

Ultimately, I think that a stronger community would mean better and more meaningful music. That's why we're all here...isn't it?

I agree, and that why I posted this

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 15:41:08 Reply

At 1/18/13 03:33 PM, Buoy wrote: Clickem.

Check your twitter ;)

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 15:43:40 Reply

At 1/18/13 03:41 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/18/13 03:33 PM, Buoy wrote: Clickem.
Check your twitter ;)

none of those links were to twitter how does that even work

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 15:51:35 Reply

At 1/18/13 03:43 PM, Buoy wrote: none of those links were to twitter how does that even work

I've already "fanned" you before, and a link to your twitter is on your profile

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 15:59:42 Reply

Now I am not sure how this will work for every single person on the AP, but I'm sure some of us have had mentors of some sort over on NG (mine being Sorohanro; he was the reason why I was motivated to join NG in the first place). These are people who are far more well-versed in production and whatnot, and are willing to share these things with others.

I only do as much as I can on reviews, but that's as far as I can go: I can only do so much, because although I've come a long way from when I first started sequencing in 2010, I still have a lot more to learn, and Sorohanro and HFX still correct me!

If we can't be full-time mentors to anyone else, then let's at least be specific of the feel a piece should go for, or the things that can be improved. Genuinely wanting the other to do better is a step forward to the whole "community spirit," if I may put it that way.


AMDG ✝ NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 16:30:27 Reply

Because in the end I dont respect the vast majority of people on here as musicians.

SonicJ
SonicJ
  • Member since: Apr. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 17:02:56 Reply

At 1/18/13 04:30 PM, jpbear wrote: Because in the end I dont respect the vast majority of people on here as musicians.

Now, when you say you don't respect a good number of people here as musicians, what do you mean? Cam you please offer some more detail into your thought, or constructive criticism for any lurkers that happen to stumble onto a common such as yours?


Audio portal reviews : A detailed discussion and study Leave a random artist a constructive review. You never know how that could help.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 18:12:02 Reply

At 1/18/13 04:30 PM, jpbear wrote: Because in the end I dont respect the vast majority of people on here as musicians.

Then this thread, obviously, is not directed at you.

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 10
Artist
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 19:54:32 Reply

At 1/18/13 06:12 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/18/13 04:30 PM, jpbear wrote: Because in the end I dont respect the vast majority of people on here as musicians.
Then this thread, obviously, is not directed at you.

it's a valid point, and not one that you can just sweep under the carpet


audio / bbs troubles? drop me a PM

BBS Signature
ExtraordinaryTerrest
ExtraordinaryTerrest
  • Member since: Aug. 15, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 11
Artist
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 20:39:42 Reply

The hip hop community is pretty alive. I think competitions help to keep people interested. I don't necessarily believe the 'follow x follow' tactic is the right thing to do. Just follow the artists you like, and hope there's enough people that feel the same way about your music. Also, I think the title of the song has a part to play in the whole process. A song with a captivating title is bound to get more views.


I apologize in advance.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 21:28:39 Reply

At 1/18/13 07:54 PM, jarrydn wrote: it's a valid point, and not one that you can just sweep under the carpet

It's about as valid as me saying "who like chocolate ice cream" and having someone walk in and say "fuck chocolate ice cream"

If you aren't interested, or don't like it, why bother associating or trying to associate with people who do.

If you don't want to builder better bonds with fellow NG musicians, that's fine. Why go into a thread announcing why you don't want to?

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-18 21:30:40 Reply

At 1/18/13 08:39 PM, ExtraordinaryTerrest wrote:

:Just follow the artists you like, and hope there's enough people that feel the same way about your music. Also, I think the title of the song has a part to play in the whole process. A song with a captivating title is bound to get more views.

You have point here. However, some people may not get the opportunity to even find out if they like your music, because you're almost instantly buried under newer submissions.

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Member since: May. 14, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 03:41:05 Reply

At 1/18/13 09:30 PM, LemonCrush wrote: You have point here. However, some people may not get the opportunity to even find out if they like your music, because you're almost instantly buried under newer submissions.

Welcome to the real world, buddy.


Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Member since: Dec. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 07:28:59 Reply

At 1/18/13 09:30 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
Just follow the artists you like, and hope there's enough people that feel the same way about your music. Also, I think the title of the song has a part to play in the whole process. A song with a captivating title is bound to get more views.
You have point here. However, some people may not get the opportunity to even find out if they like your music, because you're almost instantly buried under newer submissions.

I usually go by this philosophy: if you want something, go and get it.

There are enough people around to make a team or a small fanbase for you. If you want more union from the community, get into the fray and fight, and be prepared for the consequences. You've already made the first step and that's telling what do you think or what ideas do you have to improve your surroundings - virtual as they may be.

But you still have to understand that the only way right now to be known here is by being competitive to others while still being friendly to those who are lending your ears to your music, positively or negatively. It is not a utopian scenario, never will be, and we're surely not here to make a utopia, but rather a place to live in dynamic symbiosis.

If I had the will to get on the site 24/7, I would have already spammed all sections with links about me + replied to any single thread in every damn forum (as childish as some may be). Sounds aggressive right? Intrusive, I'd say. Then what's a better solution? Acting behind the shadows? Or slowly getting to know the people around you by helping each other, exchanging critique, ideas, collaborating... See, the engine starting the whole machine is you. You can't rely always on this invisible entity called "community". The community INCLUDES yourself. The community will be born spontaneously after you've made something. Starting from zero, which will become one and then ten, a hundred even. MGS4 teaches, yo.

If truly dream for a "bigger, stronger community" then fight for it. Fight for what you're believing it would be a better solution for everybody around. Otherwise, sorry, it's just a sterile cauldron of chit-chatting and complaining.

You know, I don't wanna sound like someone who suddenly pops out of nowhere claiming you should do things instead of just talking. Personally, I have my own fans, I have my small circle of friends, I have my acquaintances, contacts, and so on. I'm pretty nice to those who are interested in my music, I always thank them in any occasion. Likewise, even to those who wrote negatively about me, I thanked them for their opinion and time. I've built all that in a 3 and a half years time span (and even before, considering I was around the internet way prior to my NG). It's a slow process, of course it is. But I never gave up on my music, despite zero-bombings, inflammatory reviews and what-not. It's called adapting, no matter how rules seem tough to you. I think I know how to move around now.

Somebody will disagree with you, somebody will love you, somebody will hate you for no reason, somebody will even go fan crazy on you. Welcome to Earth, enjoy your stay... and while it lasts, do something useful.

PS: I might wanna add that NG isn't the only way of "creating bonds". Social networks are called that way for a reason.

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Member since: May. 14, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 07:37:11 Reply

At 1/19/13 07:28 AM, KKSlider60 wrote: NG isn't the only way of "creating bonds". Social networks are called that way for a reason.

This.
Get your stuff on every single social network available to man - Soundcloud, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Last.fm, so forth.
Then make sure to hit up some big productions forums and make mates there. They help with the whole hey-other-people-listen-to-me-i-am-cool aspect, often


Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.

jpbear
jpbear
  • Member since: Apr. 24, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 11:13:26 Reply

At 1/18/13 09:28 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
If you don't want to builder better bonds with fellow NG musicians, that's fine. Why go into a thread announcing why you don't want to?

its not that i dont WANT to, its that i need to be on the same level as the person im working with in a track. When i repeatedly get failing scores on every contest on this website i realize how dumb a lot of the names here are.

Either way, im collabing with three NG current/former members at the moment lol.

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Member since: Feb. 6, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 20
Gamer
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 11:18:49 Reply

if you guys want to help out the audio portal, start reviewing.

less than 5 reviews a day will only take up 20 minutes of your time, the most.

if new folks see other people reviewing, they will start reviewing themselves.


lel

Envy
Envy
  • Member since: Aug. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 12:50:16 Reply

At 1/19/13 11:18 AM, Sequenced wrote: if you guys want to help out the audio portal, start reviewing.

less than 5 reviews a day will only take up 20 minutes of your time, the most.

if new folks see other people reviewing, they will start reviewing themselves.

I'm on of the people jpbear(sp?) hates.

I'm absolutely awful at collabs and prefer to work on my own anyway. This is mostly due to organizational issues and whatnot, which I'm sure many people on here have.


At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote: the brilliant songs who create a production for music Wat

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 13:55:49 Reply

At 1/19/13 03:41 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote: Welcome to the real world, buddy.

Artistic movements (communities?) are not really like that

Chemich
Chemich
  • Member since: Jan. 27, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 13:58:11 Reply

At 1/18/13 04:30 PM, jpbear wrote: Because in the end I dont respect the vast majority of people on here as musicians.

Going to have to agree with this, that and I just hate people.


☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
harmonicacheese
harmonicacheese
  • Member since: Jun. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 14:11:57 Reply

You should get people together and do a YouTube band thing over the internet, I always thought that was cool. Everyone records a clip of them doing their part, and edit it together.


Soundcloud, Tumblr, and Youtube Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 15:50:51 Reply

At 1/19/13 07:37 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote: This.
Get your stuff on every single social network available to man - Soundcloud, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Last.fm, so forth.
Then make sure to hit up some big productions forums and make mates there. They help with the whole hey-other-people-listen-to-me-i-am-cool aspect, often

I'm into social networking. But there's no point in tweeting or updating a blog if no one is subscribed to them...

KKSlider60
KKSlider60
  • Member since: Dec. 7, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 15:58:16 Reply

At 1/19/13 03:50 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/19/13 07:37 AM, ChainsawPolice wrote: This.
Get your stuff on every single social network available to man - Soundcloud, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, Last.fm, so forth.
Then make sure to hit up some big productions forums and make mates there. They help with the whole hey-other-people-listen-to-me-i-am-cool aspect, often
I'm into social networking. But there's no point in tweeting or updating a blog if no one is subscribed to them...

If you don't do anything, of course nobody will subscribe to you. It's like saying that you got nobody in your birthday party because you didn't tell anybody in the first place. xD

Even if there's only one person among your fans, he/she will still be enough of a reason to keep doing what you've been doing so far.

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Member since: Oct. 9, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 43
Artist
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 17:14:09 Reply

the NACs were one such attempt. Imo they did pretty well.

ChainsawPolice
ChainsawPolice
  • Member since: May. 14, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to A bigger, stronger community 2013-01-19 19:44:53 Reply

At 1/19/13 03:50 PM, LemonCrush wrote: I'm into social networking. But there's no point in tweeting or updating a blog if no one is subscribed to them...

Oh come on, that's just being negative. Spread your word!


Professional audio/visual idiot, poor excuse for a human being, gathering dust on a shelf somewhere in Sydney, NSW, Australia.