00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Quality of school lunches

3,078 Views | 29 Replies

Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 13:01:24

I know the quality tends to vary from school to school but when it comes to how healthy eating for kids have been emphasized, often times in the school cafeteria the food that are served would look as if they have been dug from the radioactive underground.

Ever experienced something like that? If not, then lucky you.

The burgers sometimes are undercooked and even then they would taste like something have been added in there when it shouldn't have, whatever it was (believe me, it's disgusting and that's in high school). It gets better in college but still, during the early times, bringing your own lunch is the safer bet.

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 13:03:40

in my old HS, lunches were terrible... however you can't really compare them to what my kid eats at school... they are so much better now a days than they used to be.

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 13:45:45

At 1/11/13 01:03 PM, DevourerJay wrote: in my old HS, lunches were terrible... however you can't really compare them to what my kid eats at school... they are so much better now a days than they used to be.

They're lucky.

In my days at P.S. 60, you would wonder if some of the stuff they cooked came from the sewage. I know now and then there are some good stuff, but lot of times it's just bad.

The only time they serve good stuff on a consistent basis was summer school, makes you wonder.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 13:50:59

At my high school, the food was awful. Sometimes it was only half cooked, other times it tasted disgusting. Funny thing is, I was at a career for half the day and the food there is cooked by students, it was way better than anything my high school served. The students put more effort into cooking than the cafeteria did.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 13:54:55

School lunches in my day were ok but very starchy. We ate fries three times a week. and the only vegetable they served was broccoli.

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 13:55:50

At 1/11/13 01:50 PM, SmartyPants wrote:

Career Campus. Sorry about that. So no one is confused

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 14:17:09

My secondary school had good meals. Not great by any stretch of the imagination but fully passable as food with reasonable quality, could get a variety of food depending on what the day was and they usually did a great desert with chocolate sauce also. And then once a week forget which day was apple crumble and custard, totally had that every week.

It is a pity that most of the students just bought chips.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 14:29:26

It was kind of bad in high school because they didn't have anything decent to eat at all. You were supposed to bring your own lunch and if you forgot then all that was available was candy, cookies and apples.

At university its better since they actually have lunches available. The food is kind of cheap and lacking in flavour though. The soup is often too salty or too peppery with nothing in it. Also, the slightly healthier stuff is very expensive in comparison so most students just eat deep fried things (in other words, they're not exactly promoting healthy eating).

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 14:58:09

I seriously don't get why people are complaining about school lunches. You can buy a loaf of bread at your nearest store, put some cheese/nutella/peanut butter/egg/etcetera on it in the morning, and you have the lunch you want for less money you would need to spend if you buy it at school.

What's keeping all of you from spending two extra minutes every morning preparing your lunch?

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.

Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 15:02:01

At my University I am on an unlimited meal plan, and each meal is like an all you can eat buffet. The food quality varies, but is generally about B- grade. But what is nice is there are specialty bars where you can get stir fry or pasta or pizza, etc. All meal plans at my University are the same price, so I figure why not go for the unlimited. If you don't, you get a set amount to spend at our cafe, but it pales in comparison.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 15:59:39

At 1/11/13 03:02 PM, generalwinter wrote: At my University I am on an unlimited meal plan, and each meal is like an all you can eat buffet. The food quality varies, but is generally about B- grade. But what is nice is there are specialty bars where you can get stir fry or pasta or pizza, etc. All meal plans at my University are the same price, so I figure why not go for the unlimited. If you don't, you get a set amount to spend at our cafe, but it pales in comparison.

That sounds nice, too bad not every schools have that.

Granted in my college, I would go out to other restaurants to eat instead. That or go to stores and buy some foods (especially cheap junk foods) to snack on.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 16:08:17

Shame that the government has more interest and spends more money killing kids in the Middle East than in ensuring nutrition and health of children in America

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 16:13:20

At 1/11/13 04:08 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Shame that the government has more interest and spends more money killing kids in the Middle East than in ensuring nutrition and health of children in America

Not like that would matter since those kids are being used as living bombs anyway. Might as well just put them out of their respective miseries.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 16:25:45

I always made my own lunches. It was cheaper and tasted better. People who complain about the unhealthiness of school lunches should make their own lunch, or make their kids' lunches, whatever.

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 16:39:40

At 1/11/13 04:25 PM, FattyWhale wrote: I always made my own lunches. It was cheaper and tasted better. People who complain about the unhealthiness of school lunches should make their own lunch, or make their kids' lunches, whatever.

You have to admit, some people are too lazy to make their own lunches so in the end they would rely on paying for the lunch money to help feed the kids. The same lunch money which in popular cultures features them getting bullied out of students by thugs the principal would do jack shit about thinking it's "harmless".

It's been an issue now and then.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 16:53:40

At 1/11/13 04:39 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: You have to admit, some people are too lazy to make their own lunches so in the end they would rely on paying for the lunch money to help feed the kids.

I have heard arguments like this before. "I don't have time to make my lunch." You don't? It takes 5 minutes to make a sandwich and put some snacks into a paper bag. I refuse to believe that no one can spare 5 minutes a day.

People who gripe about school lunches really annoy me for this reason.

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 16:57:47

At 1/11/13 04:53 PM, FattyWhale wrote:
At 1/11/13 04:39 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: You have to admit, some people are too lazy to make their own lunches so in the end they would rely on paying for the lunch money to help feed the kids.
I have heard arguments like this before. "I don't have time to make my lunch." You don't? It takes 5 minutes to make a sandwich and put some snacks into a paper bag. I refuse to believe that no one can spare 5 minutes a day.

People who gripe about school lunches really annoy me for this reason.

I know, if you have the right products then it shouldn't take long to make a sandwich. Not to mention the lunch bag can also have a more healthier option such as an apple and some juice (despite the high sugar content). Guess some people are more content on treating the school as a daycare system.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 17:51:09

At 1/11/13 05:43 PM, Cootie wrote: Our school served fries and pizza as an option daily. Now that is what I call healthy.

Remember, according to the government, ketchup and tomato sauce is a veggie now.

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 17:53:00

At 1/11/13 05:51 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/11/13 05:43 PM, Cootie wrote: Our school served fries and pizza as an option daily. Now that is what I call healthy.
Remember, according to the government, ketchup and tomato sauce is a veggie now.

I blame Ronald Reagan.

Though I consider tomato as a vegetable disguising itself as a fruit because it's confused.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 17:54:13

In my school there is no cafeteria. Bringing your own lunch is mandatory, unless you want to eat fast food everyday. (There's a Mcdonalds across the street.)

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 19:58:59

Hot dogs at my school taste like shit

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 20:07:54

The university cafe next to the building I work in is dire. Cold, undercooked burgers or reheated chinese food prepared elsewhere. Best you can say about them is that the chips are fine. Don't even want to think about the breakfasts.

It used to be okay 2 or 3 years back as well. They'd do little pizzas which were really nice, and perfectly decent yorkshire puddings full of beef and veg, but that's all gone now.

With regards to actual school lunches, I've never eaten one. My primary school was around the corner from my grandparents' house, so I went home for dinner, and in comprehensive I'd go to the local shops. Either a steak bake and a doughnut from Greggs, or a cone of chips and a bacon sandwich from Dicksons, then on to the paper shop for a drink and a chocolate bar.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 21:34:59

I heard from my brother that school food was better in the eighties. I wouldn't know from experience.

I usually didn't eat school lunch anyway, it would make me violently ill (tested and proven) so I always had to bring lunch from home.

Ecchi first, ask questions never.

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 22:26:00

I've actually been blessed with a high school with good cafeteria food. There's pizza, sandwiches, burgers, and even wings on some days, and it's all hot and fresh. I was pleasantly surprised.

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 22:32:36

Wow, from all the replies in here it seems I'm lucky to be in a school that serves a decent lunch.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-11 22:43:23

There is no cafeteria at my school instead we have a canteen/shop thing with the types of food you would find in a deli. There is some food that is cooked (usually the special) and its always pretty well cooked.

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-12 00:10:35

In my old elementary school, they probably have some of the worst cooked food ever, and even if they were cooked right, they were barely edible at best, I dare say that this is one step above prison food and airline meals on a shitty airline. Middle and High school were somewhat better in the fact that you had some choice in what you want, such as pizza, cheeseburgers or sometimes subs along with fries or fruit, and they didn't taste like shit. {hell, you can even buy soda/Gatorade in the HS cafe, but I think they stop doing that recently} Although, most people packed their own lunch to begin with because it was much cheaper than those school meals, which were overpriced to begin with.

My guess is that because a lot of schools are in the red, they either have to take a lot of cutbacks on small things like food or even chairs, or just simply don't bother upgrading their menus at all, as a way of flaunting their smart-ass arrogance.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-12 00:42:40

When I was a kid it was basically slop on a plate. I never ate that shit and I never will.

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-12 02:44:09

every high school will not have quality lunches

bring your own lunch you pussy

Apple is a communist dynasty that is trying to take the world down in flames under its oppressive boot. Samsung will surge the universe into glory #androidnation

Sig by Decky

BBS Signature

Response to Quality of school lunches 2013-01-12 03:46:07

I'm happy that my schools never have had a cafeteria.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature