New Topic Respond to this Topic
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 01:01 PM Reply

I know the quality tends to vary from school to school but when it comes to how healthy eating for kids have been emphasized, often times in the school cafeteria the food that are served would look as if they have been dug from the radioactive underground.

Ever experienced something like that? If not, then lucky you.

The burgers sometimes are undercooked and even then they would taste like something have been added in there when it shouldn't have, whatever it was (believe me, it's disgusting and that's in high school). It gets better in college but still, during the early times, bringing your own lunch is the safer bet.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
DevourerJay
DevourerJay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Blank Slate
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 01:03 PM Reply

in my old HS, lunches were terrible... however you can't really compare them to what my kid eats at school... they are so much better now a days than they used to be.

DevourerJay~Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Sig By Xeno.
Formerly known as MissingNYC

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 01:45 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 01:03 PM, DevourerJay wrote: in my old HS, lunches were terrible... however you can't really compare them to what my kid eats at school... they are so much better now a days than they used to be.

They're lucky.

In my days at P.S. 60, you would wonder if some of the stuff they cooked came from the sewage. I know now and then there are some good stuff, but lot of times it's just bad.

The only time they serve good stuff on a consistent basis was summer school, makes you wonder.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Reader
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 01:50 PM Reply

At my high school, the food was awful. Sometimes it was only half cooked, other times it tasted disgusting. Funny thing is, I was at a career for half the day and the food there is cooked by students, it was way better than anything my high school served. The students put more effort into cooking than the cafeteria did.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 01:52 PM Reply

The food was okay because you are hungry while you are there. But honestly I don't imagine the bullshit that they pushed off unto us to be that healthy. Lunchroom food is basically the same a prison meals.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Mizzjuicyflava
Mizzjuicyflava
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Reader
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 01:54 PM Reply

School lunches in my day were ok but very starchy. We ate fries three times a week. and the only vegetable they served was broccoli.

HEY BOO!!!

BBS Signature
SmartyPants
SmartyPants
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Reader
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 01:55 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 01:50 PM, SmartyPants wrote:

Career Campus. Sorry about that. So no one is confused

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 02:17 PM Reply

My secondary school had good meals. Not great by any stretch of the imagination but fully passable as food with reasonable quality, could get a variety of food depending on what the day was and they usually did a great desert with chocolate sauce also. And then once a week forget which day was apple crumble and custard, totally had that every week.

It is a pity that most of the students just bought chips.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
Urban-Champion
Urban-Champion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 02:20 PM Reply

Aside from my high school's cafeteria, we had a strip mall right beside our school which had a subway and a family pizza

those are certainly not the healthiest choices but they taste a lot better than the shit that cafeteria would overcharge us for.

SCTE3
SCTE3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Musician
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 02:25 PM Reply

I had very few occasions where the school food tasted awful in quality. Most of the time the lunch being served was decent.

<3//Request a Review//Review Request Club // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 02:29 PM Reply

It was kind of bad in high school because they didn't have anything decent to eat at all. You were supposed to bring your own lunch and if you forgot then all that was available was candy, cookies and apples.

At university its better since they actually have lunches available. The food is kind of cheap and lacking in flavour though. The soup is often too salty or too peppery with nothing in it. Also, the slightly healthier stuff is very expensive in comparison so most students just eat deep fried things (in other words, they're not exactly promoting healthy eating).

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Knuckstrike
Knuckstrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Gamer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 02:58 PM Reply

I seriously don't get why people are complaining about school lunches. You can buy a loaf of bread at your nearest store, put some cheese/nutella/peanut butter/egg/etcetera on it in the morning, and you have the lunch you want for less money you would need to spend if you buy it at school.

What's keeping all of you from spending two extra minutes every morning preparing your lunch?

The Review Request club, the Blammers List (update every 15th), and the Protectors List (Update every 1st). My sig has it all.
Sig by Emperor-Bubba

BBS Signature
generalwinter
generalwinter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 03:02 PM Reply

At my University I am on an unlimited meal plan, and each meal is like an all you can eat buffet. The food quality varies, but is generally about B- grade. But what is nice is there are specialty bars where you can get stir fry or pasta or pizza, etc. All meal plans at my University are the same price, so I figure why not go for the unlimited. If you don't, you get a set amount to spend at our cafe, but it pales in comparison.

Those who do not learn from the mistakes of their past are doomed to repeat them.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 03:59 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 03:02 PM, generalwinter wrote: At my University I am on an unlimited meal plan, and each meal is like an all you can eat buffet. The food quality varies, but is generally about B- grade. But what is nice is there are specialty bars where you can get stir fry or pasta or pizza, etc. All meal plans at my University are the same price, so I figure why not go for the unlimited. If you don't, you get a set amount to spend at our cafe, but it pales in comparison.

That sounds nice, too bad not every schools have that.

Granted in my college, I would go out to other restaurants to eat instead. That or go to stores and buy some foods (especially cheap junk foods) to snack on.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 04:08 PM Reply

Shame that the government has more interest and spends more money killing kids in the Middle East than in ensuring nutrition and health of children in America

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 04:13 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 04:08 PM, LemonCrush wrote: Shame that the government has more interest and spends more money killing kids in the Middle East than in ensuring nutrition and health of children in America

Not like that would matter since those kids are being used as living bombs anyway. Might as well just put them out of their respective miseries.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 04:25 PM Reply

I always made my own lunches. It was cheaper and tasted better. People who complain about the unhealthiness of school lunches should make their own lunch, or make their kids' lunches, whatever.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 04:25 PM, FattyWhale wrote: I always made my own lunches. It was cheaper and tasted better. People who complain about the unhealthiness of school lunches should make their own lunch, or make their kids' lunches, whatever.

You have to admit, some people are too lazy to make their own lunches so in the end they would rely on paying for the lunch money to help feed the kids. The same lunch money which in popular cultures features them getting bullied out of students by thugs the principal would do jack shit about thinking it's "harmless".

It's been an issue now and then.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
FattyWhale
FattyWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Melancholy
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 04:53 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 04:39 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: You have to admit, some people are too lazy to make their own lunches so in the end they would rely on paying for the lunch money to help feed the kids.

I have heard arguments like this before. "I don't have time to make my lunch." You don't? It takes 5 minutes to make a sandwich and put some snacks into a paper bag. I refuse to believe that no one can spare 5 minutes a day.

People who gripe about school lunches really annoy me for this reason.

[1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
:3

BBS Signature
Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 04:57 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 04:53 PM, FattyWhale wrote:
At 1/11/13 04:39 PM, Idiot-Finder wrote: You have to admit, some people are too lazy to make their own lunches so in the end they would rely on paying for the lunch money to help feed the kids.
I have heard arguments like this before. "I don't have time to make my lunch." You don't? It takes 5 minutes to make a sandwich and put some snacks into a paper bag. I refuse to believe that no one can spare 5 minutes a day.

People who gripe about school lunches really annoy me for this reason.

I know, if you have the right products then it shouldn't take long to make a sandwich. Not to mention the lunch bag can also have a more healthier option such as an apple and some juice (despite the high sugar content). Guess some people are more content on treating the school as a daycare system.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 05:43 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 01:54 PM, mizzjuicyflava wrote: School lunches in my day were ok but very starchy. We ate fries three times a week. and the only vegetable they served was broccoli.

Our school served fries and pizza as an option daily. Now that is what I call healthy.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 05:51 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 05:43 PM, Cootie wrote: Our school served fries and pizza as an option daily. Now that is what I call healthy.

Remember, according to the government, ketchup and tomato sauce is a veggie now.

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 05:53 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 05:51 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 1/11/13 05:43 PM, Cootie wrote: Our school served fries and pizza as an option daily. Now that is what I call healthy.
Remember, according to the government, ketchup and tomato sauce is a veggie now.

I blame Ronald Reagan.

Though I consider tomato as a vegetable disguising itself as a fruit because it's confused.

Please subscribe

BBS Signature
IronicMaiden
IronicMaiden
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 05:54 PM Reply

In my school there is no cafeteria. Bringing your own lunch is mandatory, unless you want to eat fast food everyday. (There's a Mcdonalds across the street.)

nyancat23
nyancat23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 07:58 PM Reply

Hot dogs at my school taste like shit

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 08:07 PM Reply

The university cafe next to the building I work in is dire. Cold, undercooked burgers or reheated chinese food prepared elsewhere. Best you can say about them is that the chips are fine. Don't even want to think about the breakfasts.

It used to be okay 2 or 3 years back as well. They'd do little pizzas which were really nice, and perfectly decent yorkshire puddings full of beef and veg, but that's all gone now.

With regards to actual school lunches, I've never eaten one. My primary school was around the corner from my grandparents' house, so I went home for dinner, and in comprehensive I'd go to the local shops. Either a steak bake and a doughnut from Greggs, or a cone of chips and a bacon sandwich from Dicksons, then on to the paper shop for a drink and a chocolate bar.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 08:10 PM Reply

They were terrible, yes, but I got mine for free, so I can't complain

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 09:32 PM Reply

At my school some were good tasting but all were unhealthy. The requirements are retarded as far as what counts as fruits and veggies.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Suprememessage
Suprememessage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Writer
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 09:34 PM Reply

I heard from my brother that school food was better in the eighties. I wouldn't know from experience.

I usually didn't eat school lunch anyway, it would make me violently ill (tested and proven) so I always had to bring lunch from home.

Member of Alpha Team in the WNG. Find out how to join here.

BBS Signature
Xenomit
Xenomit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Quality of school lunches Jan. 11th, 2013 @ 09:35 PM Reply

At 1/11/13 09:32 PM, Sensationalism wrote: At my school some were good tasting but all were unhealthy. The requirements are retarded as far as what counts as fruits and veggies.

I got lunches for free, so I got the first milk for free, a quarter for each extra milk after that. These milks were absolutely shitty, and I could literally drink one in a single gulp. Literally. The fact that I had to conserve a tiny little paper box of milk every day for lunch really pisses me off.

TAB
"FUCKING LIKE A NINJAAAAAAAA" ~ Yinping
"xenomit is well... xenomit" ~ General consensus

BBS Signature