00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Yevs just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Tomorrow is my day is court

2,921 Views | 35 Replies

Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:17:35

In good ol' Georgia for speeding. I'm confronting a judge in court for the first time, I feel more unprepared than nervous.

So how would you present your case to a judge for going 20mph over the speed limit? Or would you just plead guilty? Will consider both sarcastic and serious suggestions.

My case:
There wasn't a 55mph sign posted visible before or after I was pulled over.
I was accelerating to get up a steep hill.
I've had my abbs for almost 6 years now.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:19:01

Exactly the points you just now brought up. I don't have enough information to help you out.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:21:22

At 1/3/13 01:20 AM, Xenomit wrote: Do what I do to authority, question every rule and every ruler

While wearing a furry costume*

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:23:07

20mph over?

I have no clue how to make that sound good. You'll probably have to do a plea and just get reduced fine and suspension.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:24:09

At 1/3/13 01:22 AM, Shauna wrote: Showing your boobs usually helps.

It's a lady judge, from Georgia. However I could leave my fly open..

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:25:11

Tell them, ''I am a dyslexic human being who made a simple mistake that of which is deserving a lot more attention than necessary compared to the other problems that are going on as we sit here and argue between my position your position of false authority.''

You do not make examples, you make excuses; you do not solve problems, you shift problems; you do not stand behind your statements, you stand behind your stasis.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:26:55

what evidence do you have?

have you token pictures of the hill, and proof of no signs being posted?

also, be respectful. A court is a place place of justice, respect the judge, and the cop, and logically argue your point.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:31:40

At 1/3/13 01:26 AM, Heretic-Anchorite wrote: what evidence do you have?

have you token pictures of the hill, and proof of no signs being posted?

also, be respectful. A court is a place place of justice, respect the judge, and the cop, and logically argue your point.

I don't have any physical evidence. It was dark outside when I got pulled over, so I have no pictures of where I was pulled over.

Really my case is based on being unaware of the speed limit and my credibility as a vigilant driver. As soon as I saw the cop I pulled over within 3 seconds or so, I was paying full attention to the road.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:38:11

At 1/3/13 01:31 AM, Saen wrote:
I don't have any physical evidence. It was dark outside when I got pulled over, so I have no pictures of where I was pulled over.

Really my case is based on being unaware of the speed limit and my credibility as a vigilant driver. As soon as I saw the cop I pulled over within 3 seconds or so, I was paying full attention to the road.

I doubt that's going to work, as the cop can easily claim there was a speed-limit sign somewhere and you'd have no proof otherwise, and your history won't mean anything as a past of never doing something doesn't prove you never will in the future.

the court will take the cops word over yours as they are in a position of authority, so I'd say you will most likely screwed.

Time to hire Phoenix Wright.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:40:40

From what has been said so far it seems that a plea bargain is your best option. Why haven't you consulted with a lawyer?

Also what was the fine and demerits(is that how it works there?)?

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:52:04

I guess I'm going to jail, thug life.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:56:47

Explain your case and fess up to it, it's not that fucking hard

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 01:59:38

At 1/3/13 01:24 AM, Saen wrote:
At 1/3/13 01:22 AM, Shauna wrote: Showing your boobs usually helps.
It's a lady judge, from Georgia. However I could leave my fly open..

Fuck that, let it hang.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 02:02:48

Also you're not going to jail for speeding retard you'll get a small fine and points on your license. Only a problem if you can't afford the fine.

At 1/3/13 01:24 AM, Saen wrote: It's a lady judge, from Georgia. However I could leave my fly open..

You're just asking to get incarcerated

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 09:31:05

I used to have a friend who used to get speeding tickets all the time, and he'd always choose to go to court than pay them over the phone or whatever. He said the cop that gave you the ticket has to show up on your court date, if he's not then they dismiss it. I guess cops have better things to do because he got his dismissed most times.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 09:51:00

Pull your dick out in court.

Invite the judge to go 30mph over the limit on it.

// Sig Makers // WWE Fans // Tumblr //

BBS Signature

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 09:52:38

Really my case is based on being unaware of the speed limit

In pretty much every jurisdiction ignorance is no excuse. In my opinion its best to plead guilty and get a lesser punishment

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 10:37:39

Go back to the hill you were speeding on. Check if there actually is a speed sign. Uproot the sign and drive away with it. Bury it with the other bodies. Simple.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 10:42:27

At 1/3/13 09:52 AM, Dogbert581 wrote:
Really my case is based on being unaware of the speed limit
In pretty much every jurisdiction ignorance is no excuse. In my opinion its best to plead guilty and get a lesser punishment

Yeah but if there is no way to see the rules, then its not ignorance of the rules.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 10:42:49

Just use honesty and be sincere. Besides it was just speeding, just pay the damn ticket and be on your way. The least that will get done to you is the judge will let you off with a warning.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 11:00:05

At 1/3/13 10:42 AM, The-Great-One wrote: Just use honesty and be sincere. Besides it was just speeding, just pay the damn ticket and be on your way. The least that will get done to you is the judge will let you off with a warning.

To be honest with myself. I would probably find myself ''thinking I'm better than the authority'' according to the judge's perception. I would question the authority and power in their position and ask the judge, ''I do not call anyone sir or ma'am, or your honor. I don't know you. You are a mere stranger to me. Here we are now, discussing rules, but underneath it all, we are both mere humans and I am the one who accepts this more than yourself. So you're position as a judge is fitting for how you look down on me in your set of clothes with that mallete of yours. My life shouldn't rest in yours hand; only that mallete and this precarious role you play in the unhearkened roles of our everyday lives.''

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 11:16:22

At 1/3/13 11:00 AM, Insanctuary wrote: To be honest with myself. I would probably find myself ''thinking I'm better than the authority'' according to the judge's perception. I would question the authority and power in their position and ask the judge, ''I do not call anyone sir or ma'am, or your honor. I don't know you. You are a mere stranger to me. Here we are now, discussing rules, but underneath it all, we are both mere humans and I am the one who accepts this more than yourself. So you're position as a judge is fitting for how you look down on me in your set of clothes with that mallete of yours. My life shouldn't rest in yours hand; only that mallete and this precarious role you play in the unhearkened roles of our everyday lives.''

I promise you, (s)he'd only let you finish that question because it's hilarious. But yea, basically they'll love forcing you to refer to them as 'your honor' or hold you in contempt of court, which is a nice way to earn yourself jail time for being disrespectful.

To the OP: you need to gather a minimum of evidence to support your case. Ignorance of the law is typically not an excuse. You were doing 75? Check the laws for state speed limits where you live, gather photographs to support the assumption that you couldn't have seen the speed limit 55 sign when you were pulled over, challenge the officer's assessment of your speed (could he have radar'd another car nearby? Could he have estimated incorrectly because of another extenuating circumstance?), etc. Oh yea, and look respectable. If you've got a suit and tie: wear it.

I just avoided serious trouble with the charge of 'driving on a suspended license' (long story) because A: it was legit not my fault and B: I appeared before the magistrate looking arguably better than I did on prom night. The first thing she said was 'thanks for dressing up'.

Yea, and don't bank on the officer 'not showing up'. Showing up to court to prosecute offenders is 50% of their job description, not doing so without good reason would go over just as well as you not showing up. The reasons they don't: illness or having a traffic stop on their shift get out of hand that they aren't able to finish up with in time for the court appearance.

Anyway, since it seems like you've done nothing to prepare for this, you're probably not going to get the ticket dismissed. Good luck either way.

BBS Signature

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 11:23:51

At 1/3/13 11:16 AM, Evark wrote: I promise you, (s)he'd only let you finish that question because it's hilarious.

And how do you find this amusing?

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 11:24:50

If I were guilty of speeding I wouldn't even bother challenging it. Especially if my excuse was just ignorance of the speed limit. I really don't see how a positive outcome can come of that. You say the limit was 55 and you were going 20 over? I don't think there are any roads in the UK were 75mph is within the speed limit and I can't see it being much different in the US. I don't really see there being a valid excuse for being 20 over the limit anyway, regardless of whether or not you know the limit imposed on any given road. Unless it was a motorway or whatever you Americans call them.

Also, this song seemed appropriate.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 11:31:14

At 1/3/13 01:17 AM, Saen wrote: In good ol' Georgia for speeding. I'm confronting a judge in court for the first time, I feel more unprepared than nervous.

So how would you present your case to a judge for going 20mph over the speed limit? Or would you just plead guilty? Will consider both sarcastic and serious suggestions.

My case:
There wasn't a 55mph sign posted visible before or after I was pulled over.
I was accelerating to get up a steep hill.
I've had my abbs for almost 6 years now.

I took criminal justice classes in my state but i'm not really familiar with Georgia's state law but from a general stand point judges are hard to persuade and 95% of the time the judge will side with the police officer. It's an position of authority and credibility issue but your best bet is to take evidence and lawyer up. Its a pain in the ass process but its better than pleading guilty or trying to present the case your self.

Remember to kiss ass and be respectful to the judge.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 11:33:44

At 1/3/13 11:31 AM, Dominickaos wrote: Remember to kiss ass and be respectful to the judge.

I wouldn't. I would find it more entertaining to stir civil disobedience.

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 11:37:48

At 1/3/13 11:24 AM, Dean wrote:
I don't think there are any roads in the UK were 75mph is within the speed limit and I can't see it being much different in the US.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I don't live in Georgia, but around here it's common knowledge that the highest speed limit is 65mph (on the highway). I don't see an excuse that would actually get you out of any trouble, unless you have higher speed limits around your area. I'd just take the slap on the wrist and pay the fine.

BBS Signature

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 11:38:26

At 1/3/13 01:20 AM, Xenomit wrote: Do what I do to authority, question every rule and every ruler

woah look it's james dean!!!

I'm not banned, this is just where I'm vulgar.

BBS Signature

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 11:40:03

At 1/3/13 11:23 AM, Insanctuary wrote: And how do you find this amusing?

Asserting the unfairness of a judge's ability to judge by judging the judge as not accepting their own humanity as readily as yourself? How? I guess ultimately I just imagine you addressing the judge like that and the real-world response to your fantasy. The harsh juxtaposition between the two is amusing. Like the expectation/reality pictures littering my facebook feed every day.

BBS Signature

Response to Tomorrow is my day is court 2013-01-03 11:47:56

At 1/3/13 11:40 AM, Evark wrote: Like the expectation/reality pictures littering my facebook feed every day.

Honestly, I am never a conformist unto those who only comform to their degenerate whims. I will die a rebellious and genuine life before I succumb to this senseless bidding. I'd rather live a shameful life than a wasteful lives. However, my shame is in their eyes only, which doesn't matter, for they cannot see themselves.