00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dark Souls 2!

29,302 Views | 330 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-03-28 13:03:14

At 3/28/14 05:07 AM, malachi117 wrote: So I decided I was finally going to take the long process of breaking Santiers spear into something useful now that I'm in NG+. Since I was only in the Giants Forrest I figured I'd be relatively safe and the mass of weaker enemies would aid in my quest to lower that sweet durability.

There are those acid pits in the shaded woods that murder your durability real quick but I guess you have to wait until you get a fragrant branch for that

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-03-28 15:30:14

At 3/28/14 01:03 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: There are those acid pits in the shaded woods that murder your durability real quick but I guess you have to wait until you get a fragrant branch for that

Those don't effect weapons.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:

360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-03-28 17:29:37

They need to give the mirror knight the Old Monk style of summoning because so far I've been summoned into nothing but piles upon piles of gankers

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-03 09:48:57

Finally got around to beating the game, although I haven't gone into new game+ yet becuase I want to finish Vendrick and the Ancient Dragon, plus a few covenant things.

At 3/28/14 05:29 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: They need to give the mirror knight the Old Monk style of summoning because so far I've been summoned into nothing but piles upon piles of gankers

Holy shit, the mirror knight can summon actual players? Every time it summoned a guy I took them out in a few seconds so I probably only had NPCs.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-04 01:49:17

Hey you wanna git gud?

Jester's robes
Chariot lance
Havels greatshield

the robes nullify backstabs and critical hits. So all you really need to do is upgrade the shield and lance and you're gud 2 go

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-06 03:26:10

Lightning Defender Greatsword is amazing. Higher than S lighting scaling, great damage, good and fast moveset, and it even has a built in Sunlight Blade cast to save an attunement slot. Favorite weapon I've used so far. I've been at the end of NG+ for quite a few hours now. Mostly just PVPing and grinding for materials to try out new weapons. On a side note, using the binoculars to snipe people with lighting spears doing rat PVP in doors of pharos is hilarious.

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-06 14:19:38

I just defeated the Demon of Song on my first try and literally yelled "NO! Why didn't you kill me?!" out of frustration.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-06 15:33:01

At 4/6/14 02:19 PM, kmau wrote: I just defeated the Demon of Song on my first try and literally yelled "NO! Why didn't you kill me?!" out of frustration.

Guess they had a piss easy boss there to make up for the absolute bullshit that was Amana. Still, it could 1hit you if you weren't careful. True undisputed easiest is Magus and the Congregation, runner-up is covetous demon. Flexile Sentry is a joke too, but that fight is horrible in NG+.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-06 17:44:11

My PvP build involves fast rolling and powerstancing two +5 MLGS. I haven't lost with this setup yet.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-06 21:08:11

So I broke Santier's Spear in like 5 minutes. I think I've found the best method. Just kill the pig things by Majula mansion and smack the corpses. If you manage to pile all 3, you can take away 10 durability per hit. Also don't have to worry about invasions.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-06 21:33:49

I stood down in a Ratbro's area for a good ten minutes not even doing anything because they were hiding on the upper level spamming gestures and even sending me messages calling me a coward

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-06 22:47:59

God, WoG is so broken.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-06 23:24:46

At 4/6/14 09:33 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: I stood down in a Ratbro's area for a good ten minutes not even doing anything because they were hiding on the upper level spamming gestures and even sending me messages calling me a coward

When that happens, I just equip binoculars and snipe them with a sunlight spear, usually 1 shotting them. They never see it coming. I do the same shit to anyone who waits by the lever when I invade them in Iron Keep.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-06 23:30:44

At 4/6/14 10:47 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: God, WoG is so broken.

Yeah, it's even stronger than in DaS 1. If I get hit by it, it always 1 shots me in full havels, with 25 VGR and third dragon ring.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-07 02:40:03

At 4/6/14 11:30 PM, Stretchysumo wrote:
Yeah, it's even stronger than in DaS 1. If I get hit by it, it always 1 shots me in full havels, with 25 VGR and third dragon ring.

Yeah, I guess it just gives me more incentive to git gud at dodging it. Much like dark magic in AotA.

Also, holy hell the media attention to this has really brought in pissy newbies. On the forums its nothing but cries of " OP OP WOW THOSE CUNTS FUCK THEM THEY SUCK THESE ATTACKS ARE LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO COUNTER ".

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-07 08:20:39

this game felt a bit too easy partially. the checkpoints are really frequent sometimes and the enemies stop spawning thing reduces the difficulty. there are many hard bosses but most of the time i didnt feel the same tension or pressure not to die as in dark souls or demons souls(which i think had the best designed difficulty overall in this series.) so pretty much none of the areas in the game felt like they were brutal enough, and many of the bosses are pushovers, in fact it seems like the mandatory bosses aren't as hard as the optional bosses, which seems stupid. i don't know if it's because i'm desensitized after playing the first 2 games in the series. i just think that sequels should be a bit harder than their predecessors, but here they went in the opposite direction.
so i honestly feel like they kind of ruined the difficulty "balance". the next game might be even worse.
also they said that they were going to improve enemy ai, but it didn't feel improved at all. and why are there so many bosses in the early parts that can be defeated just by strafing to the right and hitting their back?

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-07 17:17:17

It sucks, but you have to live with it.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-07 21:00:15

If you wear the white ring and leave a Red summon sign, it'll show up as a white summon sign and you still invade people.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-07 22:31:22

At 4/7/14 09:00 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: If you wear the white ring and leave a Red summon sign, it'll show up as a white summon sign and you still invade people.

Seriously? I think it's time to put down summon signs in Amana.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-07 23:05:30

At 4/7/14 09:00 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: If you wear the white ring and leave a Red summon sign, it'll show up as a white summon sign and you still invade people.

It still leaves a red summon sign.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-07 23:25:11

So... Is this game anything like Dark Souls or is it more like Demon's Souls? I kind of want to get this but I didn't like Dark Souls at all.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-08 00:43:31

At 4/7/14 10:31 PM, Stretchysumo wrote:
Seriously? I think it's time to put down summon signs in Amana.

Nah my bad. Faulty information on the wiki community.

So how's everyone doing on figuring out the lore and plot?

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-08 02:20:03

At 4/8/14 12:43 AM, TheSporkLord wrote: So how's everyone doing on figuring out the lore and plot?

I'm at the doorstep of the final boss for the first time, and I still have zero idea what my objective in the game even is, and not for a lack of trying either. I know that Souls games aren't prided on their story, but the storytelling is preeeetty bad. Gameplay's fun enough, but the fact that I just feel like I'm randomly wandering about, aside from a brief few stages of 'find the king', is one of the things that keeps it from feeling as rewarding as the other games. Like four times now I've had a feeling of 'okay, NOW I will learn what I'm doing, right? Right?'

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-08 02:37:02

At 4/8/14 12:43 AM, TheSporkLord wrote:
So how's everyone doing on figuring out the lore and plot?

I like the whole reincarnation angle they have for this game what with all the characters being parallels to a character or characters from Dark Souls and how the big 4 in this game drop a soul from the big 4 in the original in NG+.

As I understand the plot is also very similar to Dark Souls in that the King has become hollowed despite his best efforts and now the throne must be occupied by another who can renew the cycle. The player character is likely drawn to Drangleic because Vendrick has such a powerful soul and the curse of the undead inflicts a thirst for souls in the branded.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-08 03:19:48

At 4/8/14 02:20 AM, Psychopathic-Mind wrote:
At 4/8/14 12:43 AM, TheSporkLord wrote: So how's everyone doing on figuring out the lore and plot?
I'm at the doorstep of the final boss for the first time, and I still have zero idea what my objective in the game even is,

I feel like it's supposed to be like that. Your memory fades as you hollow. At the start of the story it's very clear and straight forward what you need to do, but the story becomes more confusing and less direct towards the end, as if your character themselves is having problems remembering what they came to this land for.

Don't go hollow.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-08 08:07:25

At 4/8/14 03:19 AM, malachi117 wrote: I feel like it's supposed to be like that. Your memory fades as you hollow. At the start of the story it's very clear and straight forward what you need to do, but the story becomes more confusing and less direct towards the end, as if your character themselves is having problems remembering what they came to this land for.

Don't go hollow.

But then why do the Emerald Herald and the dragon seem to have some kind of purpose for me, which they just refuse to explain? The Herald definitely wants me doing something. Why should I bother going for the last boss? Is there a point? It sure doesn't feel like it.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-08 09:49:45

the level design in this game was a bit too familiar with the other games. aldia's keep was my favorite because of how different it felt. i wish there was more like that.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-08 17:26:54

Well as far as I know in terms of plot, POSSIBLE SPOILERS DURRR HURRR.

Vendrick and Aldia stole the petrified dragon egg from the giants, most likely to experiment on since shanalotte said she was actually created and raised by dragons. So she was an attempt by Vendrick and Aldia to try and stop the curse, however she says that her creation just agitated the curse even more. But now since the dragon egg was stolen, the giants were enraged and laid siege to Drangleic, but not before Nashandra came to warn Vendrick about them. Now after the war is over vendrick and aldia had the dragon egg, which was the harbor of life, to raise dragons for their dragonriders and use the bones to make the golems that power castle drangleic. Now move ahead some time after the experiments fail and Vendrick starts to realize what Nashandra really is ( presumably a fragment of the souls of Manus ) and that she was just using him to try and get the giant's kinship and take the Throne of Want for herself. Vendrick realizes this and takes steps to stop her from getting it, like taking his ring ( the only thing that could open the door to the throne of want ) and sealing himself in the crypts and taking Velstadt to protect him. After seeing this, Nashandra tries to manipulate the chosen undead to basically open the throne of want for her and then intercept you at the last minute.

So yeah

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-08 20:53:08

At 4/8/14 09:49 AM, DeIirium wrote: the level design in this game was a bit too familiar with the other games. aldia's keep was my favorite because of how different it felt. i wish there was more like that.

Too bad Aldia's keep is one of the shortest areas in the game.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-04-08 22:42:19

At 4/8/14 05:26 PM, TheSporkLord wrote: So yeah

The thing that makes me curious is why the player needs the Giant's Kinship to have Nashandra go to the Throne of Want.

The player can fight and kill the Throne Defender and Watcher but Nashandra herself won't appear until you kill the Giant Lord in the Memory of Jeigh. The only guess I can make at the moment is that it might have something to do with the continuity of the timeline or something. I'd like to think there is a more in depth explanation but I haven't come across it.

At 4/8/14 08:53 PM, Stretchysumo wrote: Too bad Aldia's keep is one of the shortest areas in the game.

Aldia's Keep was very Duke's Archives I loved it and the Dragon Aerie right after it was also really awesome especially for how visually different it is from other Souls games areas. I especially liked the Dragon Guardian fight arena which was like a big colorful birdcage and the view you are treated to after beating the boss is awesome.

At 4/8/14 08:07 AM, Psychopathic-Mind wrote: But then why do the Emerald Herald and the dragon seem to have some kind of purpose for me, which they just refuse to explain? The Herald definitely wants me doing something. Why should I bother going for the last boss? Is there a point? It sure doesn't feel like it.

She does explain it. Literally the first time you come to her she asks if you are here to become the next 'monarch' which you obviously are because you were drawn to Drangleic by the curse. As you defeat the 4 great souls, Veldstat, and reach the Dragon Aerie she continues to elaborate more on your role and hers in the game's events. All of this is in game dialog I just don't understand why people complain that there's no 'direction' of the plot when there clearly is and they even did it in the form of the Herald who you HAVE to talk to unless you never plan on leveling up or getting estus upgrades.