00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tophat1607 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dark Souls 2!

29,360 Views | 330 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-10-27 00:14:53

It's almost upon us. Just a few more hours

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-10-27 03:57:21

2 hours late, yet still no beta. Shit FROM get it together.

PSN ID/Gamertag: KittensWithBeer

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-10-27 04:04:05

At 10/27/13 03:57 AM, Stretchysumo wrote: 2 hours late, yet still no beta. Shit FROM get it together.

NA/SA is officially cancelled. Im fucking done

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-10-27 04:09:35

At 10/27/13 04:04 AM, TheSporkLord wrote:
At 10/27/13 03:57 AM, Stretchysumo wrote: 2 hours late, yet still no beta. Shit FROM get it together.
NA/SA is officially cancelled. Im fucking done

Stayed up all night just to not even play the beta. Fuck this bullshit.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-10-27 12:45:10

Even though I am still miffed about this, it was a stress test. It wasn't meant to be a demo, it was to trouble shoot. So they found an error and are giving us 'Muricans another chance to play. At least they acknowledged it and apologized.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-11-08 18:28:18

All right its coming tomorrow. Nothing will stop us now

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-11-10 03:44:35

Just finished the beta. I explored every possible area. The combat seems pretty smooth and skills are a bit different now. You lose health when hollow, like in DeS, but it decreases every time you die. I like the balance between estus and gradual healing items. I found it easy to get summons/pvp. Zweihander is back and it feels more powerful than ever, even if you ignore raw damage, it just feels, like you're swinging a huge fucking sword. The 2h R2 zwei attack is fucked though. Very hard to land with a fucked up hitbox. All in all I have high hopes for this game. I just wish we could have gotten a bit more content, but it's understandable for a stress test.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-11-10 03:55:08

Seems like the hitboxes in pvp are a bit messed up. Striking air visibly shouldn't cause damage, but it may just be lag.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-11-10 05:23:56

I can't wait for this game to launch, had dozens of playthroughs in Demon's Souls and a couple in Dark Souls. It's my favorite videogame series. :D

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-11-11 00:33:25

Copy pasted because I don't feel like re writing everything

Well I completed it, got through the skeleton lords in minutes, that battle was A LOT easier than expected. I died against the chariot battle once, but that's because I was getting blasted by a mage thing in a corner. After that I got through it like a breeze.

Some things I was worried about

The zweihander/greatswords. These things swing like they're freaking butter knives in the beta. But they still had the weird hit box issue everyone was talking about, there were times where I absolutely knew I should have hit something. Assuming they fix that and nothing else about swing speed, greatswords are going to be ridiculous.

Enemy range of attack, there were enemies that had long weapons and of course had a longer area of attack. And then there were enemies that used maybe swords that could still hit me and damage my stamina even if I was behind them. Seems like a minor thing if actually a problem though.

Resistance, I would say more about this but I am fairly certain they're going to nerf this so no big deal for now.

Some things I liked

Parrying felt a lot more weighted. I don't know if there's a direct relation to your equip load, but I had a hard time landing a parry when I was using all my heavier equipment. Maybe this will stop all the parry fishers that would just hornet ring everyone to death.

Enemies/mobs actually hunt you down for the most part. I had those four red phantoms follow me all around the dang map and they never gave up.

Enemies seem more camouflaged now. Even with the brightness turned way up there were still groups of enemies that blended in so well.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-11-12 13:36:37

At 12/8/12 10:06 AM, POTaTOS wrote: Shouldn't it technically be Demon's Souls 3?

Yes. It's strange they're altering their sequel naming convention this way.

I hope it's not quite as horrendously difficult as demon/dark were.

I beat them both but it was some of the hardest shit I've ever had to content with. And I've been stuck in a bunker in the middle east on deploy separated from my unit for over a week.

∀x (∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ∀x ¬(x ∈ e)) ∨ ∃y ¬∃e (e ∈ x ∧ ¬∃z (z ∈ y ∧ z ∈ e ∧ ∀x ¬((x ∈ y ∧ x ∈ e) ∧ ¬(x = z)))))

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-11-12 18:46:34

At 11/12/13 01:36 PM, sharpnova wrote:
At 12/8/12 10:06 AM, POTaTOS wrote: Shouldn't it technically be Demon's Souls 3?
Yes. It's strange they're altering their sequel naming convention this way.

I hope it's not quite as horrendously difficult as demon/dark were.

I beat them both but it was some of the hardest shit I've ever had to content with. And I've been stuck in a bunker in the middle east on deploy separated from my unit for over a week.

DS2 should be much easier for you since you should have the mechanics down. The games have a steep learning curve, but aren't flat out unfair. The whole point is that the difficulty forces you to learn the game mechanics and use them effectively, so I see it as a good thing. After all, you need a challenge to get better at the game. My first DeS playthrough I got fucking destroyed, but now it's fairly easy to speedrun.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-11-14 20:47:54

I look forward to learning each enemies attack pattern, again

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-12-05 02:52:55

At 11/14/13 08:47 PM, GingerBaron wrote: I look forward to learning each enemies attack pattern, again

THIS. Now days, simplest shit is to lock-on and simply run in for a backstab or practice parry timing. Hardest game I ever played when first picked up. Now it all makes sense after like only 1 month of gameplay haha.

Dark Souls consumed my life.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-12-06 11:24:01

I've heard this about a long time ago, similar to Dark Souls.

Eryn Channel

Anime-NoireChan on IGN

PSN ID: Anime-NoireChan | Even though, getting popular, Esshh. No worries now.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-12-09 09:06:38

At 11/14/13 08:47 PM, GingerBaron wrote: I look forward to learning each enemies attack pattern, again

They're supposed to like, learn your attack pattern too, I've heard. Making the game even harder. They adapt to the way you play the game. Not sure how complex it is though.

I had the chance to try the demo-version out at Dreamhack. The Mirror Knight fucked me up my ass so hard, man.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-12-09 14:45:54

Fuck me, and fuck yes. Still haven't beaten Dark Souls, but you know, trial and error. For 10 straight fucking days.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2013-12-11 03:33:47

If this game would BE release on eighth-gen console,
then it's a BIG time.

Eryn Channel

Anime-NoireChan on IGN

PSN ID: Anime-NoireChan | Even though, getting popular, Esshh. No worries now.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-01-31 21:58:48

Actually no, Dark Souls was a knock off of Demon's Souls Namco Bandai got asked to make a game that would go multi-console and wanted it to be like Demon's Souls. They never wanted Dark Souls to be a sequel. It was originally going to be called Dark Ring because of the Dark Sign but that was a slang in England that meant asshole, so they changed it to Dark Souls.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-01 00:55:54

At 12/9/13 02:45 PM, darkjam wrote: Fuck me, and fuck yes. Still haven't beaten Dark Souls, but you know, trial and error. For 10 straight fucking days.

"10 straight fucking days." Bah, if you are new to the Souls games then you are going to have to try for at least a month if not longer. That is of course if you aren't a gaming kind of person.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-01 01:51:33

So will there be a actual plot to the game besides to go to A, B and C then you Have to go to D and E then make a few vital decisions?

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-01 02:57:29

At 2/1/14 01:51 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: So will there be a actual plot to the game besides to go to A, B and C then you Have to go to D and E then make a few vital decisions?

In other words, every rpg ever?

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-01 10:16:42

At 2/1/14 01:51 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: So will there be a actual plot to the game besides to go to A, B and C then you Have to go to D and E then make a few vital decisions?

the lore is just 2deep4u

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-01 20:37:49

At 2/1/14 02:57 AM, TheSporkLord wrote:

theres no real back story besides these dragons and humans and some others fought humans won and a age is coming to a end and your character is the chosen one to decide the result, in a real RPG you would have a actual plot that would impact the story before and during the plot of the game, character development and strong narrative noth Dark
souls has besides the lore of there was a battle at the beginning and there would be a prophecy of a chosen Undead to decide how it truly ends.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-01 21:08:06

At 2/1/14 08:37 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
At 2/1/14 02:57 AM, TheSporkLord wrote:
theres no real back story besides these dragons and humans and some others fought humans won and a age is coming to a end and your character is the chosen one to decide the result, in a real RPG you would have a actual plot that would impact the story before and during the plot of the game, character development and strong narrative noth Dark
souls has besides the lore of there was a battle at the beginning and there would be a prophecy of a chosen Undead to decide how it truly ends.

Lol the lore whores would get so mad at you for saying that. Some people genuinely believe DaS has an amazing and deep story. Nobody plays it for the story, though, the gameplay is the selling point. I just want dedicated servers like DeS, not a clusterfuck like DaS.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-01 23:47:48

At 2/1/14 09:08 PM, Stretchysumo wrote: Lol the lore whores would get so mad at you for saying that. Some people genuinely believe DaS has an amazing and deep story.

It does have a story

It's not the game's fault people can't be bothered to read. People who actually enjoy this game do in fact like discovering and discussing lore rather than having some shitty cookie cutter JRPG story about battling the epic brooding effeminate bad guy and maybe learning something about themselves along the way. Dark Souls handles it's story a lot better than other rpgs because a builds an immersive world where people don't stop to explain their life story to you at designated intervals.

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-02 03:14:41

At 2/1/14 11:47 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 2/1/14 09:08 PM, Stretchysumo wrote: Lol the lore whores would get so mad at you for saying that. Some people genuinely believe DaS has an amazing and deep story.
It does have a story

I know it does. I'm just talking about people who adamantly say that it's the greatest story ever because you have to read item descriptions and discover it on your own. Not shitting on the story or people who like to discuss the lore by any means, just the belligerent ones.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-02 07:53:48

At 2/1/14 12:55 AM, RKB wrote: "10 straight fucking days." Bah, if you are new to the Souls games then you are going to have to try for at least a month if not longer. That is of course if you aren't a gaming kind of person.

lol beat it last week.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-02 10:10:08

At 12/8/12 02:24 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
Honestly, my biggest complaint with Dark souls was that it just dropped you right in with hardly any explanation of what is going on in the game. Only a basic description of combat, no real blooming of plot or story. I think this game can only get better being more direct.

This is exactly why the game is so good. Unlike every other RPG game thats praised beyond imagining *cough*Mass Effect*cough* this game will NOT hold your hand at all, it will NOT play nice, it will NOT give you a string to follow. It will only give you a clue whenever you finish chasing down one clue, which is exactly the point of an adventure game, you are SUPPOSED to figure shit out for yourself, not let the game do it for you.

In Dark Souls, you actually have to pay attention to understand the story, but the beauty of it is that you dont even HAVE to, its not shoved down your throat like every other adventure game to date, you arent GIVEN reasons to continue, you find your own. Its not like, HEY YOU HAVE THIS AMAZING THING YOU HAVE TO DO FOR THE GOOD OF THE UNIVERSE, NOW GO DO IT OR EVERYONE WILL BE DISAPPOINTED AND PROBABLY DIE. Its just hey, this world is overrun with death, and the balance between good and evil is non existant. What are you gonna do about it? If they made Dark Souls 2 more straight-forward, honestly that would ruin the game and the whole appeal of it.

The whole reason people continue to play a game after it destroys them again and again is because they want to see what else the game has to offer, and Dark Souls has TONS to offer, if you actually look for it, which unfortunately most people dont, either out of lazieness, or just confusion.

Change is inevitable, all you can do is make sure it happens in your favor.

Cheap Voice acting/Narrator voiceovers!

Response to Dark Souls 2! 2014-02-03 19:57:59

At 12/8/12 04:53 PM, Gobblemeister wrote:
At 12/8/12 02:24 PM, TheSporkLord wrote:
These games are about finding the game for yourself and being truly immersed in it.

This means no retarded tutorial sessions where the game finds some contrived, bullshit reason to hold your hand when it's not even that complex to start with. It also means no exposition cutscenes again holding your hand through the story.

The ambiguity of the Souls series is part of its identity and any steps toward being more 'direct' are just another step toward being a watered down, hack and slash for casuals that features 7 QTEs per boss battle.

This is pretentious.

The lore is found through item descriptions. 'Item Descriptions' and hearing NPC's talk occasionally. It's not the most riveting plot in the world. It's vague as hell.

There is a story, yes. There was, is, and always will BE a much BETTER way to go about it. That's why Dark Souls II is going the Demon's Souls route, building a world around it and having exposition, as opposed to just giving atmosphere.