00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

perilsofafrog just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

RandomApple's art thread

3,784 Views | 34 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 14:51:03

Hello, i'm RandomApple, and this is my art thread. Please take a minute to review my art, and point out any flaws or share your thoughts. I am open to constructive criticism, so please be honest.

I will only post new pieces of art here, or respond to posts.
Okay, let's start with a few recent drawings.

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 14:53:48

Did you accidentally forget to post an image? Anyway I checked your section and it looks decent in regards to your shading. Your anatomy is what needs to be worked on. Try using basic geometrical shapes like cylinders and boxes to build your characters that are human.

My YouTube Channel feel free to support me on Ko-Fi

I do video essays on ATLUS games

BBS Signature

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 14:58:02

Pretty old drawing. 3-4 hours work.
Done in paint tool sai.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 14:59:36

At 11/11/12 02:53 PM, Absinthe wrote: Did you accidentally forget to post an image? Anyway I checked your section and it looks decent in regards to your shading. Your anatomy is what needs to be worked on. Try using basic geometrical shapes like cylinders and boxes to build your characters that are human.

Actually, i didn't expect anyone to reply this quickly. I took some time finding the pictures and decided to post them all in separate posts

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 15:03:49

about 6 hours work.
done in paint tool sai.

Also many thanks to Absinthe for the feedback.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 15:36:54

good job

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 15:49:37

1 hour work. More an experiment than a full-fledged drawing.
Done in paint tool sai.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 15:53:03

Thank you very much, homojezus.
Next up: fan art piece.
4-5 hours work. Paint tool sai.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 17:02:47

do you have any recent foundation studies or sketches for us to look at. I saw you had one here already, I just want to see a few more. You know, so I can see a whole variety of your stuff.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 17:24:01

At 11/11/12 05:02 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: do you have any recent foundation studies or sketches for us to look at. I saw you had one here already, I just want to see a few more. You know, so I can see a whole variety of your stuff.

To be honest, I don't practice anatomy that much on paper, and most of my drawings have sought their way to my trash can. I learn a lot better just watching other drawings or real life, and memorizing patterns.
Here is a very recent one, though. (paint tool sai)

Also many thanks for taking time to leave a post.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 17:28:30

At 11/11/12 05:24 PM, RandomApple wrote:
At 11/11/12 05:02 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: do you have any recent foundation studies or sketches for us to look at. I saw you had one here already, I just want to see a few more. You know, so I can see a whole variety of your stuff.
To be honest, I don't practice anatomy that much on paper, and most of my drawings have sought their way to my trash can. I learn a lot better just watching other drawings or real life, and memorizing patterns.

That is a good way to start, but a little study never hurts. Actually right now I'm doing an excercise for more fluid lines while watching some cartoons. So basics never hurt.

I would like to see some of your pencil/pen and paper work though. even if it is just to see the gap between your digital and traditional skills

BBS Signature

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 17:33:52

A second foundation study from a long time ago. This was about 1 and a half years ago, when I decided to start drawing in my spare time.
Hands bugged me a lot.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 17:40:10

At 11/11/12 05:33 PM, RandomApple wrote: A second foundation study from a long time ago. This was about 1 and a half years ago, when I decided to start drawing in my spare time.
Hands bugged me a lot.

Hands continue to be a hell for me as well, but we all got to start somewhere.

Got anything more recent?

Its cool if you don't. But keep in mind we want to see your works in progress just as much as we wanna see the final project

BBS Signature

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 17:50:26

At 11/11/12 05:40 PM, Kinsei01 wrote:
At 11/11/12 05:33 PM, RandomApple wrote: A second foundation study from a long time ago. This was about 1 and a half years ago, when I decided to start drawing in my spare time.
Hands bugged me a lot.
Hands continue to be a hell for me as well, but we all got to start somewhere.

Got anything more recent?

Its cool if you don't. But keep in mind we want to see your works in progress just as much as we wanna see the final project

I don't have anything recent at moment anymore, but I will post more sketches/art as soon as I can draw them. I will try to free up time for this alongside my studies.
And thank you very much, kinsei, for your posts. It is very motivating to see people are interested in my art.

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-11 18:02:15

At 11/11/12 03:49 PM, RandomApple wrote: 1 hour work. More an experiment than a full-fledged drawing.
Done in paint tool sai.

This, even though it's just an unfinished experiment, looks the most interesting to me so far. Practice and testing is just as, if not more important as finished work. You have solid ideas, but your execution can go higher. Keep it up and don't stop posting!

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-12 15:51:25

Seeing as the experimental piece was appreciated (thank you luckylime), I kept this piece more experimental as well.
This is just a sketch, I will colour this piece later on.
For each of my drawings, i keep a strict colour code. Gray sketches indicate joints and whatnot, red sketches show the anatomy, even if this is covered by clothing, and blue sketches indicate fabric of any sort.
1 hour work, paint tool sai.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-13 16:30:02

Finished version of previously shown sketch.
I must say, I really let my mind go wild with this one. It seems the more emotion i put in my ideas,
the better the result. I also experimented with the possibilities of sai regarding the background,
but I should learn how to work with photoshop.
Had lots of fun.
2 hours work coloring (paint tool sai).

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-19 16:12:07

little rough (and very messy) sketch of a fighting couple. It would be much appreciated if you could point out individual anatomy faults (I know I've made quite a few). Difficult perspective. 30 minutes in sai.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-22 16:01:18

A 1 hour sketch made in sai. unlike the previous one, I will force myself to finish this piece. If anyone has any question about how I color my drawings (or about anything else), do not hesitate to ask.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-27 16:05:15

The last two sketches lacked a great deal of quality and anatomical correctness, so I've refrained myself from coloring them. This piece will be colored in the near future since I like the style quite a bit.
1 to 2 hours work, paint tool sai.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-27 16:46:43

You might have better luck if you use thicker lines. I was amazed to see that these were made using paint tool sai. You must not be using the tools with pressure on/a tablet or something because i cannot explain this line quality with that information. Usually mouse made art has crisp lines BECAUSE of there being no variation in width.

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-11-28 08:35:34

At 11/27/12 04:46 PM, Template88 wrote: You might have better luck if you use thicker lines. I was amazed to see that these were made using paint tool sai. You must not be using the tools with pressure on/a tablet or something because i cannot explain this line quality with that information. Usually mouse made art has crisp lines BECAUSE of there being no variation in width.

All my art is done in sai with pressure on a (bamboo) tablet. The reason why my line art looks like mouse made art is probably because of the way I draw: The lines are mostly thinner lines stacked upon each other for a constant line width. If you would zoom in on better resolution drawing, you can see the variation in line width.
Thanks, Template, for leaving a review.

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-12-02 13:53:09

Allright. It took me a while to color this one, but I'm not dissatisfied with the results. My only fear is it looking too chaotic or incoherent. If anyone has any suggestions about the coloring, anatomy or whatnot, please leave a post.
(paint tool sai, 4 hours).

On a side note: Does anyone know how to cut out part of the drawing so that the background is transparant/not visible? If this could be done with either sai or photoshop, this would open possibilities for me.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-12-29 16:41:48

This drawing was originally drawn for another thread 'I draw your character, my style.', but i figured i'd post it here too.
The character and the drawing this was based off, belong to ZaneZansorrow. I know my art doesn't compare to him, but i'll hope I'll get there someday.
Sai, about 5 hours.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-12-29 17:03:23

Not bad at all- I feel as though your strongest piece is the translucent girl.

An ongoing thing I notice about your stuff is that the bodies never seem quite right. I actually think your surprisingly decent at hands though. I think you'd benefit from pushing your proportions practice a little more.

Dr. Spedmund McMallet

BBS Signature

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-12-29 18:13:12

At 12/29/12 05:03 PM, Idioteque123 wrote: Not bad at all- I feel as though your strongest piece is the translucent girl.

An ongoing thing I notice about your stuff is that the bodies never seem quite right. I actually think your surprisingly decent at hands though. I think you'd benefit from pushing your proportions practice a little more.

Thank you very much, Idioteque. It's true that I often make mistakes when I sketch the wireframes off my characters, and leave those mistakes when I finalize the lineart. I'll try to work on my anatomy and backgrounds in the future.

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-12-29 18:15:59

I would recommend using boxes for your rib cages and hips, rather than the circles you're using now. Also to push your "lines of action" for a tad more interesting pose. Exaggerate your pose as far as you can just to the point before it becomes unnatural. Kind of. Play with the idea. =D

RandomApple's art thread

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2012-12-29 18:22:05

At 12/29/12 06:15 PM, maficmelody wrote: I would recommend using boxes for your rib cages and hips, rather than the circles you're using now. Also to push your "lines of action" for a tad more interesting pose. Exaggerate your pose as far as you can just to the point before it becomes unnatural. Kind of. Play with the idea. =D

Boxes seem a lot better for wireframes, but mostly when I use them, I screw up the perspective. But I certainly agree I should use them in the future. Thank you all for your helpful advice, i will try to learn from it.

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2013-01-15 15:58:43

It's been a long while since i've drawn anything, mainly because of the exam period. Thus, it was time for some practice. These are a series of very quick sketches to try out a box frame for anatomy. Since this seems to be one of my weaker points, I must work to resolve that.

RandomApple's art thread

Response to RandomApple's art thread 2013-01-15 16:26:10

Nice! I'm loving the lines of action you have going.

At 1/15/13 03:58 PM, RandomApple wrote: It's been a long while since i've drawn anything, mainly because of the exam period. Thus, it was time for some practice. These are a series of very quick sketches to try out a box frame for anatomy. Since this seems to be one of my weaker points, I must work to resolve that.

| Art n' animation Tumblr | R&S comic Tumblr | Follow for LIVE streams Twitter | Animation CH YouTube |