00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

NeonWolfNate just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Windows 8 Launch Thread

5,876 Views | 89 Replies

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 16:36:07

Okay, so I just solved the Minecraft performance problem by changing the notebook bios setting from switchable graphics to discrete graphics mode.

Chances are that updating the bios could help get switchable graphics working again.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 21:04:14

A lot of people have commented that Windows 8 has ruined the old "Windows" feel. There's no this, no that. The layout is mainly suited for touchscreen, but a lot of people still use the traditional mouse and keyboard.

I quite doubt I'll ever buy Windows 8, as Windows 7 is fine for me, being a big step from crappy Vista.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-29 04:53:49

Hey, It appears that Microsoft hasn't (completely) gotten rid of the classic start menu after all...

Link.

Chances are that if Windows 8 turns out to be another "bad" release, then they might put back the old start menu in Windows 9 (or whatever they decide to call it).

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-29 05:40:32

At 10/29/12 04:53 AM, Painbringer wrote: Hey, It appears that Microsoft hasn't (completely) gotten rid of the classic start menu after all...

Link.

Chances are that if Windows 8 turns out to be another "bad" release, then they might put back the old start menu in Windows 9 (or whatever they decide to call it).

How can anybody prefer that over the new metro start menu?

The metro start menu is so much better than the previous start menu. I think most people dislike it just because they can't deal with change. There are bad things about metro.. but as a start menu it's much better.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-29 12:11:26

At 10/29/12 10:55 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: 40 EURO! Holy shit that's cheap. I might actually get it. Is it compatible with like Steam and shit?

Might want to hold back on that...
Gabe Newell expressed his hate for Windows 8. Hell, I couldn't find anything good to hear from the professional game developers about Windows 8.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-29 12:13:41

The only thing I can't possibly criticize is having to go to desktop mode in internet explorer to view certain flash content, and this affects newgrounds. The flash movies load fine, but the audio portal requires desktop mode. I wonder if there is a way newgrounds can fix this since your flash movies are not affected.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 03:52:21

One great thing about Windows 8 I discovered is that all my old 32-bit Windows 95/98 games run a lot better and without any of the old problems (bad colors, game crashes, fast scroll rate, etc) from previous Windows versions.

Sadly, my 16-bit Windows 95 and older games are still unsupported on a 64-bit OS.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 04:02:11

At 10/29/12 12:11 PM, RyanBustersword123 wrote:
At 10/29/12 10:55 AM, MikeyS9607 wrote: 40 EURO! Holy shit that's cheap. I might actually get it. Is it compatible with like Steam and shit?
Might want to hold back on that...
Gabe Newell expressed his hate for Windows 8. Hell, I couldn't find anything good to hear from the professional game developers about Windows 8.

It's basically a store for mobile apps that are also compatible with desktop/laptop computers. Most people probably aren't going to want to use the metro apps on their PCs. I don't think it's going to affect the PC gaming market much at all.

At 10/31/12 03:52 AM, Painbringer wrote: Sadly, my 16-bit Windows 95 and older games are still unsupported on a 64-bit OS.

Have you tried using compatibility mode?

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 04:07:08

The only thing I've had problems with is Skype. Steam works perfectly fine on Windows 8. There's some minor issues with some programs and games but they aren't too big. I haven't been able to get on Skype on Windows 8 and Amnesia froze up a few times. Everything else has worked perfectly fine. It'll work better once it's been out a bit longer.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 04:21:48

At 10/31/12 04:02 AM, Jolly wrote: Have you tried using compatibility mode?

Do you take me for an idiot???

No amount of compatibility mode can make Castle of the Winds or SimCopter install/run in 64-bit Windows.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 05:52:32

I'm sure if Windows doesn't bring back the Start menu, a third party developer will.

I've had to use a program named Classic Shell in order to obtain a "Classic" start menu, which Windows 7 doesn't have.

So personally I'm not too worried for the time being.
Vista is also still being supported right? :P

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 05:53:37

Sorry, for the double post, but this is the aforementioned start menu that I prefer...

Official Windows 8 Launch Thread

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 06:20:56

At 10/31/12 04:21 AM, Painbringer wrote:
At 10/31/12 04:02 AM, Jolly wrote: Have you tried using compatibility mode?
Do you take me for an idiot???

No amount of compatibility mode can make Castle of the Winds or SimCopter install/run in 64-bit Windows.

Have you tried DosBOX? It basically emulates a 16-bit dos machine on a 64-bit pc.
I just used it yesterday to play Wolfenstien3d and Doom on my 64bit laptop and they worked like a charm, even with fullscreen. I read it works on Windows 8 too.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 06:28:32

At 10/31/12 06:20 AM, RyanBustersword123 wrote: Have you tried DosBOX?

YES!!!

YOU CANNOT INSTALL WINDOWS GAMES IN DOS MODE.

Grrr.

And yes, DOSbox is a godsend for all my old DOS based games - I just wish there was something like that for Windows games.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 14:22:50

Wait... Windows 8 doesn't have a start menu? Can someone explain this to me? It sounds like an absolutely horrible idea on Microsoft's part. How are we expected to open programs? Don't tell me Windows 8 users are expected to pin any programs they use to the taskbar or make shortcuts for them in the desktop or something? And how do you shut down/log out/etc?

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 14:49:30

Running XP atm on a second hand Compaq Presario SR1000.

Not a single BSoD or issue with games like SC2/Shogun 2:TW etc.

However, once Littlewoods and Acer fix their shit and deliver my new PC (this one is a little aged after all) I'll be runnign Windows 8 (comes with the pc) on mah nuh Acer Aspire XC Intel Core i5

Watch this space for a more family orientated review

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com

Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 14:51:19

At 10/31/12 02:22 PM, Step wrote: Wait... Windows 8 doesn't have a start menu? wahwahwah

Move your mouse to the corner brah....

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com

Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 14:56:44

I wouldn't install Windows on my machine if you paid me to.

"If loving Python is crazy then I don't want to be sane." -Diki

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 16:06:08

At 10/31/12 02:51 PM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Move your mouse to the corner brah....

I don't have Windows 8 and I don't plan on getting it. Just curious.

At 10/31/12 03:44 PM, EJR wrote: When you press the Windows key or drag your cursor to the bottom left corner of your screen + click you get taken to a tile interface that you find on their phones and such. It's actually really cool. There's a desktop option if you want to use windows classically, but then the rest of the tiles could be programs, apps, widgets, you name it. It essentially replaces the start menu and adds a lot more on to it. To find programs that aren't on your taskbar or in the tile interface you have to right click the tile interface and press the option "all apps" and it brings you to another listing; alternatively you could just start typing the name of the app or program from the interface and it'll find it immediately.

This is my dashboard. I've customized it so everything I regularly use is first and widgets take up the next few columns. I really like it. Everything feels so smooth and clean. The Music app is horrendous so I'm still sticking to Spotify for my music playback.

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/e4fb94d9ebced3c49695ad85 b74b7a53

That actually looks really tacky and unnecessary. It opens up a whole new window just for the user to choose what program to run? That seems pretty ridiculous. Also the start menu makes a distinction between recently used programs, programs that you pin to it, and the Control Panel/My Computer, etc... by placing them in their own lists. That interface doesn't look like it makes the distinction and just throws everything as an assortment of pictures (of course this is just an educated guess, I haven't actually tried the thing myself).

Frankly to me it looks like a transition from a mobile OS to a desktop OS that went horribly wrong. That kind of interface may work well for a mobile, but taking the start menu away for desktop users too is a bad idea that just doesn't seem to work as well with a keyboard and mouse and will just cause lots of people to try and get accustomed to it when the start menu worked so well before. In my opinion, of course.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 17:02:32

Id rather just browse my files normally through explorer rather than use the silly new start thing.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 17:08:05

The new computer that's coming with it will come with it. It's basically 7 with some addons, so I don't mind.

:Shit, no Start Button???

That Scout is a Soldier!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 17:35:27

can someone say baby's first os
seriously why would anyone pay for this bullshit when XP/Ubuntu/7/literally any other os does the job better than it

This is the greatest forum posting of All time

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 17:53:52

At 10/31/12 05:35 PM, swedishcandy wrote: can someone say baby's first os
seriously why would anyone pay for this bullshit when XP/Ubuntu/7/literally any other os does the job better than it

They fixed a lot of performance and driver issues this time.

That and it's only $40 for the Pro download.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 19:15:30

Yeeeeeeah sticking with Win 7.

XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 19:44:01

At 10/31/12 07:15 PM, SneakyGameBoy wrote: Yeeeeeeah sticking with Win 7.

Friends don't let friends Windows 8 themselves.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 22:32:24

At 9/25/12 07:48 PM, Weeaboo wrote:
At 9/25/12 07:44 PM, Painbringer wrote:
At 9/25/12 07:38 PM, Weeaboo wrote: Why would I spend my money on a bad rep OS when I can have Ubuntu for free?
Video Games.
Would you like some WINE with that, sir.

wine is horribly slow as linux lacks any good drivers whatsoever and playing games through a virtual machine only adds to the bottleneck

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-31 23:39:21

At 10/31/12 10:37 PM, Austerity wrote: Including Starcraft 1?

Yup. Just tested it and got it working with the compatibility wizard.

The screen went black a couple of times but Alt-Tab fixed it.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2013-01-25 10:05:14

Why is there a three month silence in this thread? Come'on.. windows 8 is definitely not worse than 7. I have been using it on my laptop for one month now and I have to say that I got the hang of it. Sure, there are some things which take a while to get used to but all in all, I would have to say that it's rather interesting. :)

For instance, with this OS you can bring your laptop to the factory settings while keeping all of your files. It works pretty much like the reset option on a smartphone.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2013-01-25 10:49:55

At 10/31/12 10:43 PM, dem0lecule wrote: Eat my shit, 2 more 0-day exploits coming.

What is that?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2013-01-25 11:16:38

God I love my PC and its 20-bit gigamax hard-processor with dby2 spec upgrades and 10 second blue screen reboot turbo! Fuck Windows, its just so unnecessarily complicated and bland.