00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official Windows 8 Launch Thread

5,871 Views | 89 Replies

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-09-26 23:29:00

At 9/26/12 11:15 PM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 9/26/12 10:52 PM, Contraband678 wrote: Try using a Windows 95 computer with the internet as it is today and you will get a sense of where XP is headed. Yes, at some point it will barely be working at all or hopelessly antiquated, but in all likelihood your computer will die by then, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Screw it, I'm getting ubuntu next week or something.

Get Hackintosh Snow Leopard or Hackintosh Lion. I'm running Hackintosh Lion right now because my graphics card supports only Lion. Both are good operating systems if you love things that look sexy. Also, if you're like me and grew up with Windows your entire life, it's nice to have something different for once.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-09-27 01:55:20

At 9/26/12 10:44 PM, Contraband678 wrote: Then again, it also makes it a smaller target for hackers. It will be some time before you are totally screwed, so I wouldn't worry about it. You'll know when you need to upgrade.

You have until April 8, 2014 until Windows XP ends up like Windows 98, ME and 2000.

And if you have Vista, you only have until April 11, 2017.

Windows 7 is good until January 14, 2020.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-09-27 02:06:11

Wow! That would be great. There is just something I worried about. How will you use old lap tops for this new windows?

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-26 22:13:41

It's out. I got it today.

When you go down to the bottom left corner a button for the start menu comes up, so it's like it's still there but it's no longer taking up space.

I don't think metro will be too bad once I get used to it.

I don't really like the solid colours. I preferred aero. They've changed the text at the top of windows to be dark grey/black. I normally use a solid black theme, so that's annoying.

When ever you put your cursor into a corner different things pop-up.

There's probably ways to fix a lot of the problems, I just don't know how to yet. I'll probably just try to get used to a lot of the current "problems". Most people, including myself, probably won't like them just because they're new.

Screenshot:

Also, Microsoft Security Essentials is now Windows Defender.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-26 22:21:33

Whats with microsoft pumping out operating systems recently? First vista, then 7, now 8. Honestly, why not treat it like XP? Update it to fuck and monitor it to the point where it become the perfect operating system. I would still use XP if it wasnt for the fact alot of programs and games are going to stop supporting it.

Windows 7 is accident prone it feels. And its not even minor errors, half the time they are nearly fatal, like the OS getting corrupted.

I'm just a dreamer.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-26 22:32:51

At 10/26/12 10:21 PM, sweet21 wrote: Whats with microsoft pumping out operating systems recently? First vista, then 7, now 8. Honestly, why not treat it like XP? Update it to fuck and monitor it to the point where it become the perfect operating system. I would still use XP if it wasnt for the fact alot of programs and games are going to stop supporting it.

Other than XP there's been about a 2-3 year gap between each OS. I don't mind Windows 8 being a different OS. The people that want to avoid metro can.

Windows 7 is accident prone it feels. And its not even minor errors, half the time they are nearly fatal, like the OS getting corrupted.

I've never had any problems with Windows 7. Not even a BSoD.

Here's a pic of the store. I doubt I'll be downloading from it much. So far everything I've downloaded has opened full screen in metro. Not good for mult-tasking. I don't think many people will use it much.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-26 22:39:58

This is definitely made with tablets in mind. I downloaded the calculator from the store. It's in full screen with massive buttons. Why would anybody ever use this on their PC?

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-26 22:44:14

At 10/26/12 10:39 PM, Jolly wrote: This is definitely made with tablets in mind. I downloaded the calculator from the store. It's in full screen with massive buttons. Why would anybody ever use this on their PC?

Yeah, for a tablet great. Desktop, No!

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-26 23:08:45

At 10/26/12 10:21 PM, sweet21 wrote: Whats with microsoft pumping out operating systems recently? First vista, then 7, now 8. Honestly, why not treat it like XP? Update it to fuck and monitor it to the point where it become the perfect operating system. I would still use XP if it wasnt for the fact alot of programs and games are going to stop supporting it.

XP was good for its time but its complete shite now. There was nothing wrong with vista and there is nothing wrong with 7, people should just stop being fucking retards and upgrade. Also theres nothing wrong with 7, its just you.

W8 will probably rape the smartphone and tablet market, and Apple will probably lose loads of market share and it will be Android vs W8.

comment pls | follow pls | aka FishType1

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-26 23:19:11

At 10/26/12 11:16 PM, Innermike wrote: I tried it back when they still had a start button on the task bar
get on my level yo
But seriously no, I have a Windows 7 partition with all the drivers for my macbook air finally functioning perfectly, if I need to use windows I'm set, 8 fucked up my macbook pro's GPU like nobody's business.

You dont get an opinion because you have a mac.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-26 23:22:17

Though i do use Windows atm, I do agree mother fucking penguins! Does your windows have a mother fucking penguin? No, thus inferior. Penguins mean better, fact.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-26 23:24:17

At 10/26/12 11:08 PM, BumFodder wrote:

XP was good for its time but its complete shite now. There was nothing wrong with vista and there is nothing wrong with 7, people should just stop being fucking retards and upgrade. Also theres nothing wrong with 7, its just you.

Yeah, I've never heard about anybody having problems with Windows 7 until now. Win7 is great. When I used XP in 2008 my PC regularly blue screened when my screensaver came on. I've never gotten the BSoD on Windows 7.

Well, once on the first day I was using my PC that I built for the first time.
W8 will probably rape the smartphone and tablet market, and Apple will probably lose loads of market share and it will be Android vs W8.

The apps seem pretty good so far. They're shitty for a PC though.

Like this. Who would use this? Nobody. Nobody is ever seriously going to play games with this. Unless they're just fucking around with it.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-26 23:25:22

Pic:

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 03:43:33

At 10/28/12 01:14 AM, EJR wrote: I kind of wanted to upgrade, but after hearing it's better as a tablet / touch screen OS I started to think otherwise. It doesn't look as good as I thought it would be. It's pretty simplistic and I actually hate that they took out aero.

I like it. The apps in the store are, for the most part, pretty dumb. The Hulu one and Netflix one may be good, but they both require a subscription, which I don't have. Metro isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It works a lot better than the start menus in previous versions of Windows.

The mail, people, and messaging applications are pretty cool. You can easily check multiple email accounts with mail and it runs really smoothly and quickly. People is essentially Facebook. Messaging really doesn't do as much as I think it should.. it only supports Windows live messenger and Facebook.. but it's decent regardless. When somebody messages you on Facebook their message pops up in the top right corner of the screen.

I honestly think the pros outweigh the cons. Everything about it feels so much faster than it did in Windows 7. If you're going to buy it, try to buy it here. You can get it for $15. (The normal price is $40, for the upgrade version)

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 03:50:28

Also, the task manager is a lot better than it used to be.

Pic 1
Pic 2:

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 04:03:19

At 10/28/12 03:57 AM, EJR wrote:
At 10/28/12 03:43 AM, Jolly wrote: I like it. The apps in the store are, for the most part, pretty dumb. The Hulu one and Netflix one may be good, but they both require a subscription, which I don't have. Metro isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It works a lot better than the start menus in previous versions of Windows.
I'm checking out a few more recent videos of the metro UI and the apps and stuff and it's starting to grow on me. It doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought. I'm just worried about the compatibility of most of my programs. I have a lot that aren't regularly updated but the majority of them are programs I don't really use anyway... I guess it's time to get rid of a bunch of them.

Go here and click "Download Pro for $39.99". It downloads a thing that installs Windows 8 for you. I think there's a compatibility test before you actually buy it.

The only thing I had compatibility problems with is security essentials, and that's because it's built into Windows now.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 05:48:28

I was only 12 when I first saw the classic start menu we are all familiar with...

And now it's gone - Forever.

I just hope all my start menu programs have been transferred to the new format.

So far my biggest issue is lag in Minecraft which I've never experienced before.

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 07:09:51

As much as I don't like the look of Windows 8, I've been considering building a better PC with gaming in mind and I might end up going with Windows 8 as the primary OS. Usually I'd just stick a Linux distro on it but unfortunately developers and users still haven't made the transition to Linux based systems yet :(

If Linux had more support from game developers, installing Windows wouldn't even be crossing my mind but unfortunately it seems to be the only option if you want to game with relative ease.

On the plus side, I've watched a few people review Windows 8 not too long ago and while they all seemed to agree that it felt strange at first, I think they all ended up liking it once they adjusted. I haven't properly used a Windows OS since XP, so it will probably be quite a jump for me, if I do take the Windows route.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 07:34:39

At 10/28/12 06:36 AM, Cootie wrote:
At 10/28/12 05:48 AM, Painbringer wrote: I was only 12 when I first saw the classic start menu we are all familiar with...

And now it's gone - Forever.

I just hope all my start menu programs have been transferred to the new format.

So far my biggest issue is lag in Minecraft which I've never experienced before.
It isn't gone forever because they could scrap this whole Metro idea if the whole ecosystem doesn't work out. Hopefully it will because your PC, tablet, phone, and Xbox all working the same is a brilliant idea if you are able to make it work.

I doubt they will. Honestly, I prefer metro.

At 10/28/12 07:09 AM, Dean wrote: If Linux had more support from game developers, installing Windows wouldn't even be crossing my mind but unfortunately it seems to be the only option if you want to game with relative ease.

It might get more support soon, with Steam coming out for Linux.
The beta survey came out today:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php

On the plus side, I've watched a few people review Windows 8 not too long ago and while they all seemed to agree that it felt strange at first, I think they all ended up liking it once they adjusted. I haven't properly used a Windows OS since XP, so it will probably be quite a jump for me, if I do take the Windows route.

Yeah, the more I use it the more I like it.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 08:15:12

I tried Windows 8 on a laptop at a store an I hate it. The start screen sucks. Whenever I tried scrolling the screen left or right, I accidentally moved some metro icons. I really wish they would at least make the start screen a choice, so they don't piss off people that really liked the start menu. Metro would work well on a tablet PC or maybe even a laptop, but not a desktop computer. Controlling the start screen would suck with a mouse. At least with a laptop's touch pad, you can swipe it with 2 fingers to scroll left and right. Paying to be able to play DVDs is bullshit. Windows 8 sucks. I'm sticking with Windows 7.

I'm sure I will never get Windows 8 unless they fix it's problems.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 09:01:28

At 10/28/12 07:34 AM, Jolly wrote: It might get more support soon, with Steam coming out for Linux.

I was wondering when that was out. Hopefully linux support becomes more common than shitty mac support.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 09:40:16

At 10/26/12 10:32 PM, Jolly wrote:

Here's a pic of the store. I doubt I'll be downloading from it much. So far everything I've downloaded has opened full screen in metro. Not good for mult-tasking. I don't think many people will use it much.

You have to download Pinball and Minesweeper for it?

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 10:39:46

At 10/28/12 08:15 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: Paying to be able to play DVDs is bullshit.

It seems to me that while Windows Media Center costs money, you can still just download VLC Player, pop in a DVD and watch it.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 10:42:54

It's not "Windows" anymore. They should call it something else. They have improved some stuff like the task manager, but it's not Windows anymore. There's no windows outside of the Desktop mode. Hope they fix it in Windows 9.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 11:09:00

At 10/28/12 07:34 AM, Jolly wrote: It might get more support soon, with Steam coming out for Linux.

Yea, Linux popularity definitely seems to be on the increase. I hear more people speaking about Linux now than I did a few years back. I'm a computer science student though, so it's probably more common for the people I'm around to be using Linux than it would be if I were around day to day users. Steam support would definitely be a good start in bringing more game developers to Linux.

I filled out that survey.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 14:47:29

At 10/28/12 02:45 PM, Cootie wrote: Microsoft is just trying to stop Apple from running all over them

If thats what Apple is trying to do, theyre not doing a very good job.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 15:53:38

At 10/28/12 09:40 AM, wildfire4461 wrote:
At 10/26/12 10:32 PM, Jolly wrote:

You have to download Pinball and Minesweeper for it?

Yes. I think the Microsoft version is gone.

At 10/28/12 10:39 AM, Tremulos wrote:
At 10/28/12 08:15 AM, Sword-of-Kings wrote: Paying to be able to play DVDs is bullshit.
It seems to me that while Windows Media Center costs money, you can still just download VLC Player, pop in a DVD and watch it.

VLC is a lot better anyway.

At 10/28/12 03:29 PM, BigBadtheBazz wrote: I heard that windows 8 is bad for indie developers. is this true? is it completely closed like I have heard?

It's not completely closed. You can still download stuff that isn't on the app store. And I wouldn't say the metro app store is bad for indie game makers at all. I'd say it's a better for indie game makers. The iOS app store isn't bad for indie game makers, is it? This is the same thing.

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 15:55:02

Installed fast, looks great, kept all my old programs and files. I can't complain and I don't see it being a problem once you are accustomed to it.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 16:02:25

At 10/28/12 03:53 PM, Jolly wrote: The iOS app store isn't bad for indie game makers, is it?

Actually, it is.

BBS Signature

Response to Official Windows 8 Launch Thread 2012-10-28 16:20:34

At 10/28/12 04:02 PM, BumFodder wrote:
At 10/28/12 03:53 PM, Jolly wrote: The iOS app store isn't bad for indie game makers, is it?
Actually, it is.

How? Doesn't everybody have a pretty equal chance of getting a lot of sales?