Be a Supporter!

An overrated series

  • 1,915 Views
  • 57 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
Masterporkygamer
Masterporkygamer
  • Member since: Jan. 29, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
An overrated series 2012-07-15 00:02:33 Reply

Name a series you think is overrated and why.For me its call of duty.I'm not saying they are bad games.But they are far from being the best.They just are the same thing over and over.But people go out and buy them every year.They don't even fix the problem from the last game and people are all like"ten out ten" "nine out ten" ''best game ever" Best shooter ever" Jeez! wake up people your're getting screwed by Activison and Infinityward but you don't seem to care.

slipknotfan33
slipknotfan33
  • Member since: Mar. 26, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 00:05:45 Reply

Gears Of War, it's basically a copy of Resistance just put in the third person angle.


KEWLBOY 2012

Blazirc
Blazirc
  • Member since: Jun. 6, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Musician
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 00:19:29 Reply

Honestly, I think the Super Mario series is overrated. The only good mario games were super mario sunshine, super mario 64, and super mario galaxy.


One good thing about music, is that when it hits you, you feel no pain.

-Bob Marley

Exile
Exile
  • Member since: Jan. 19, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Gamer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 00:27:43 Reply

Uncharted series.

Boring combat all the way through.

unconsidered
unconsidered
  • Member since: Mar. 11, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Animator
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 00:35:23 Reply

Resident Evil

I'm sorry but they have over 20 games, and half of those were re-releases or spin-offs. 8 films, a comic book series, and a collection of novels.

It's like another Star Wars or something.

The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 00:37:37 Reply

At 7/15/12 12:19 AM, Blazirc wrote: Honestly, I think the Super Mario series is overrated. The only good mario games were super mario sunshine, super mario 64, and super mario galaxy.

First off, in the Mario Bros. series (in other words strictly platformers), there hasn't been a single bad game. Yeah games have gotten better, but I certainly would not put Super Mario 64 over Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, or Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. Super Mario 64 I think is one of the most overrated in the Mario Bros. series and Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island are the two most underrated in the Mario Bros. series.

The games are always changing and adapting which each new installment. Now to be fair there are better platformers out there that don't get the same recognition due to Mario, which is a shame really. In that aspect I can agree that Mario is a tad overrated, but not as much.

I think people need to learn and understand the word overrated a bit more before they start throwing it around a lot, but that's never gonna happen.

Halberd
Halberd
  • Member since: Aug. 22, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 00:39:27 Reply

I think Doom is a little overrated...at least in some places on the internet.

People nostalgia over it but when was the last time a game in the series came out anyway?

I also think that the games have dated and I prefer Half-Life 1 to Doom although I do like Doom mods and custom content


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NguTypiXqqY
ILLEGAL MARIJUANA RELATED ACTIVITIES
The hand I killed your children with masturbates to the memory of it

phrozonfire
phrozonfire
  • Member since: Sep. 7, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Gamer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 00:40:14 Reply

At 7/15/12 12:05 AM, slipknotfan33 wrote: Gears Of War, it's basically a copy of Resistance just put in the third person angle.

Except Gears of War came out first, and was in development longer, you tard.


"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature
POTaTOS
POTaTOS
  • Member since: Jan. 7, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 01:44:16 Reply

I choose Minecraft because it has no guns. Halo is way better.


[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature
Chdonga
Chdonga
  • Member since: Mar. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 46
Game Developer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 01:46:24 Reply

I choose Final Fantasy. It's too popular and it overshadows my favorite series, Dragon Quest. Anything I don't like that's more popular than something I do like must be overrated, because I don't like it.


BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Member since: Jul. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Programmer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 01:59:53 Reply

Half-Life is choppy for me and the plot is just bland as fuck and doesn't help when its made by Valve.

SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Member since: Mar. 30, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 04:20:54 Reply

I think call of duty is as overrated as underrated.I can't undersand why people find it so great but neither I can figure out why people hate it as it is pretty good.Overrated series for me is Halo.It's nothing special.


Bitte Nazi mods keine bannerino, weil ich ein Nazi Schwein als ihr bin. Danke schön!

BBS Signature
Trambamboline
Trambamboline
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 04:29:36 Reply

There are a few. If I listed them all I'd be here until I starve so balls to that.

But I'll just say the whole "First person modern/slightly futuristic shooter" genre. I do not understand the appeal, and yet they make billions. It's incomprehensible to me.


"Anything could happen in the next half hour!"
"For the love of God, don't stop pretending you're a dragon!"

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 04:48:18 Reply

The fucking Elder Scrolls of Opinions by Bethesda Game of the Year Editions.

Monsie
Monsie
  • Member since: Mar. 27, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 05:09:51 Reply

Without a doubt, Halo. The first game's plot was the only one that half made sense, and the second game had the best multiplayer. But the series refuses to die.

Trambamboline
Trambamboline
  • Member since: Dec. 18, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Gamer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 05:11:30 Reply

At 7/15/12 05:09 AM, Monsie wrote: Without a doubt, Halo. The first game's plot was the only one that half made sense, and the second game had the best multiplayer. But the series refuses to die.

Yeah, when the original creators try to end the series, it's probably time to let it go. But still, Microsoft, cash-cow and all that.


"Anything could happen in the next half hour!"
"For the love of God, don't stop pretending you're a dragon!"

BBS Signature
SneakyGameBoy
SneakyGameBoy
  • Member since: Aug. 7, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Gamer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 06:18:38 Reply

At 7/15/12 12:05 AM, slipknotfan33 wrote: Gears Of War, it's basically a copy of Resistance just put in the third person angle.

Lol what? People like you can not come up with a constructive reason why you think game sucks so you just compare it to something you think is similar. YES! Comparing is the reason why the game sucks. "Hey Guyz Halo sucks because it copied Stars Wars and DOOM. I declare that the Halo franchise is shit and people should stop buying it!" Seriously the whole comparing shit is getting old and shows no good reason why the game sucks.


XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature
SneakyGameBoy
SneakyGameBoy
  • Member since: Aug. 7, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 12
Gamer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 06:22:35 Reply

If there's anything overrated I would say COD franchise. Ever since COD 4 it has gotten too much praise.


XBL Gamertag: Cpt D3FAULT | PSN ID: SNEAKYGAMEBOY | GAMING SINCE 2002 ;D

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Member since: Dec. 20, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 07:28:31 Reply

At 7/15/12 12:19 AM, Blazirc wrote: Honestly, I think the Super Mario series is overrated. The only good mario games were super mario sunshine, super mario 64, and super mario galaxy.

Maybe you should actually play some of the pre-64 games before dissing them. SMB3 and SMW were far better than Sunshine and lightyears better than SM64.

At 7/15/12 12:05 AM, slipknotfan33 wrote: Gears Of War, it's basically a copy of Resistance just put in the third person angle.

Gears of War came out first (although the difference in release dates is negligible) and was in development for longer. So no.


"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Writer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 07:39:37 Reply

At 7/15/12 01:59 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Half-Life is choppy for me and the plot is just bland as fuck and doesn't help when its made by Valve.

Wow. Is that your actual opinion or a butthurt bandwagon rider?

RyanBustersword123
RyanBustersword123
  • Member since: Nov. 20, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 09:53:41 Reply

At 7/15/12 01:59 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Half-Life is choppy for me and the plot is just bland as fuck and doesn't help when its made by Valve.

You mean it doesn't help when it's made by one of the only few companies that go for long development time to make their games as perfect as possible? I can't really see your point when you claim that Valve is recognized as a bad company.

At 7/15/12 01:44 AM, POTaTOS wrote: I choose Minecraft because it has no guns. Halo is way better.

Halo is an FPS. Minecraft is a sandbox game and it's barely a series.
You're comparing two games from two different genres.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

cheese654
cheese654
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 10:03:39 Reply

The Assassin's Creed series. The controls are horrible and the plot is incomprehensible.
Or maybe I'm just dumb.


BBS Signature
Sword-of-Kings
Sword-of-Kings
  • Member since: Jun. 17, 2010
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Gamer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 10:28:24 Reply

At 7/15/12 01:44 AM, POTaTOS wrote: I choose Minecraft because it has no guns. Halo is way better.

I'm sure there are gun mods that you can download. It isn't that hard to mod Minecraft.

mrpwnzer
mrpwnzer
  • Member since: Apr. 2, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 11:07:50 Reply

EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER RELEASED ERVERRATED!!!

It's true.


Xbox live: C0n Queso
PSN: A-Spiky-Kitten
Steam: Baby Diesel

BBS Signature
Ketzelkab
Ketzelkab
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 11:52:53 Reply

While this seems like a thread of 'wake up you sheeple, why can't you notice things like me?' I think it's a bit childish to just call a series you don't enjoy over-rated.

But, i'll participate and attempt to take a slightly unbiased approach. The series I enjoy the least and think is 'over-rated' would have to be Call of Duty as well, but for more clear reasons.

1. The same game engine, 6 games in a row.
This is what allows Activision to churn out a game every year. They have the security in knowing that they are going to break record sales on a yearly basis, why should they show ingenuity? They don't need to and probably never will.

2. They lucked out on being the 'Cool FPS'
Call of Duty has essentially taken the success of Halo this generation and now has the spot as the FPS everyone plays.
The fact that there's also a schoolyard mentality helps their sales, kids in school who don't play COD aren't cool.

3. Developers gonna develop
As mad as everyone may be about the yearly game, it is just another game. And you can't argue that Activision/Treyarch/Infinity Ward are not successful at publishing/developing games. They obviously are doing their job right and not everyone is in the business to be 'indie' or have artistic expressions through their games.

4. Why do I care?
I don't really. I just felt like making words, i'm not mad and I still play Call of Duty with my friends occasionally but I won't continue to buy them. In the end it's just another game you like or you don't.


Twitter | Soundcloud | Follow me?
Let's stalk each other on the interwebs!

iMini
iMini
  • Member since: Mar. 4, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 11:54:54 Reply

At 7/15/12 05:11 AM, Trambamboline wrote:
At 7/15/12 05:09 AM, Monsie wrote: Without a doubt, Halo. The first game's plot was the only one that half made sense, and the second game had the best multiplayer. But the series refuses to die.
Yeah, when the original creators try to end the series, it's probably time to let it go. But still, Microsoft, cash-cow and all that.

But the plot does make sense...

Microsoft owns Halo, just because Bungie doesn't do it anymore doesn't mean the series is over. The ending of Halo 3 never even implied that it was the last, hell, MC even says "wake me when you need me" how much more of a obvious set up do you need?

Furthermore 343 studios has many ex-Bungie employees, it's a new studio but Bungie's in there.

I think the most over rated series is Bioshock. People seem to love it, but I've played both games for a fair amount if time. They're bland and really clunky.


illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
Gremlin
Gremlin
  • Member since: Sep. 28, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 12:55:27 Reply

Call of Duty is the most overrated of all in my eyes, it's the same thing every year with small differences.


MEDIC!

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Member since: Dec. 28, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Gamer
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 12:58:58 Reply

These kinds of threads are always terrible because all anyone ever does is post the same franchises every time.

kmau
kmau
  • Member since: Sep. 23, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Animator
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 13:02:25 Reply

Everything I don't like is overrated.


BBS Signature
kakalxlax
kakalxlax
  • Member since: Jun. 2, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 14:40:42 Reply

not series but single overrated games:

Zelda ocarine of time

Final Fantasy 7

the only reason for a person to think those games are THAT good is because of nostalgiofaggosity


Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.