00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Whraen just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

An overrated series

3,874 Views | 52 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 16:31:05

Pokemon gradually became overrated, same concept with new exploration gimmicks to keep it fresh. Pokemon to me is just a time waster like one of them game demo's that comes with a cheap new cellphone.

I don't care much for most JRPG's either.

QOTW:

"I hate you because you never pass up and opportunity to mention that you are a "female"-Wreckr

How to review like your opinion matters

BBS Signature

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 16:47:37

Without a doubt the most overrated series is Call Of Duty. Ridiculously unrealistic with cliche gameplay all throughout. One of the most UNDERRATED series though would have to be TimeSplitters. It may not be the most original game out there, but back in the days of Playstation 2 and original Xbox, it was just so much fun to play with friends.

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 17:16:23

At 7/15/12 02:40 PM, kakalxlax wrote: not series but single overrated games:

Zelda ocarine of time

Final Fantasy 7

the only reason for a person to think those games are THAT good is because of nostalgiofaggosity

Your opinions are thus irrelevant if you can't see a good game when it is in front of you.

They may not be as good as people claim, as they aren't the best games ever made, but there is no debating the fact they are both amazing games. It would be as if you said Deus Ex, Silent Hill 2 and Morrowind were also bad games.

I always find it amusing when people claim games are bad, despite the games in question being solely responsible for attracting generations to alternate forms of gaming. Most children didn't care for RPGs back in the day, I was one of those, then I played Final Fantasy 7 like my brothers and I got dragged into enjoying my now favourite genre. Any game that is able to force a change in a gamer's mind like that has no debatable points to oppose being called a good game.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 17:35:49

Zelda ocarine of time

Final Fantasy 7

Honestly, Ocarina of Time was my favorite Zelda game with Link to the Past and Minish Cap taking a close second. BUT, I forgot about FF 7. I will completely agree with you on that one. I've played every Final Fantasy from 6 on at least a little, and I enjoyed 6, 8, 9, and 10 more than 7. I did like the fight scenes in Advent Children though. :)

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 20:16:30

Zombies Online. birds-eye view MMORPG rip-off of left 4 dead i like it but it's kinda stupid go on www.gunshine.net 2 try it

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 20:27:25

Zelda ocarine of time

Final Fantasy 7

the only reason for a person to think those games are THAT good is because of nostalgiofaggosity

What about great music and stories?

BBS Signature

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 20:37:39

Not really a series, but Batman:Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City.

The combat in both is really bland, and the camera angles leave more to be desired.

Viva La Liquid Funk Baby. Keep it Mellow for all our sakes.

For Crap Nobody Cares About

BBS Signature

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 22:01:33

At 7/15/12 05:30 PM, Tramps wrote:
I really don't know if you're consistently trolling or just really stupid and unable to appreciate anything that's good. Every single post I've seen off you is calling out a justifiably good title or saying something inane or just plain idiotic. Please stop posting.

why you think that was already explained

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-15 22:50:00

At 7/15/12 07:39 AM, The-Great-One wrote:
At 7/15/12 01:59 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Half-Life is choppy for me and the plot is just bland as fuck and doesn't help when its made by Valve.
Wow. Is that your actual opinion or a butthurt bandwagon rider?

Oh no someone has a different opinion that contradicts popular sentiment. Obviously he's lying and hated Valve before he played the game.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 00:25:18

Is this kind of thread even feasible? I mean, the definition of overrated is "something that gets more hype and credit than it's actually worth." This can easily apply to ANYTHING that is considered good. At the end it translates to "games I don't like."

So here are a few games I don't like:

- Fable II. I like the graphics and premise of the game, but the gameplay itself is quite boring and clunky. The weapons and magic attacks feel like they do nothing, and sometimes I'd even get stuck in corners unable to do anything. The ending parts are also lackluster and make the game feel like a chore. Speaking of chores, how about those jobs to get gold?

- New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I love Mario games, but this one just never tickled my fancy. Oddly enough, the "new" in the title doesn't really hold up with the game, as there's only a few aspects that have actually changed since the first one on the DS. Gameplay-wise it's alright, but the controls don't really sit well with me compared to, say, the NES titles. The multiplayer makes levels cluttered and people tend to get in the way more than they can help, even when working together.

- The Kingdom Hearts games. I can't get into them for some odd reason. I realize there's some good gameplay and a neat plot, but I just can't find myself to enjoy it as much as others do. Strange. The "'cause I don't like it" argument isn't something I want to say, but in this case it just seems like there's no other way of putting it out there.

"Scatman" refers to the use vocal improvisation and nonsense syllables in jazz and hip-hop music made famous by people like Ella Fitzgerald and John Paul Larkin.

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 01:56:08

At 7/16/12 12:25 AM, JonnyScatman wrote: Is this kind of thread even feasible? I mean, the definition of overrated is "something that gets more hype and credit than it's actually worth." This can easily apply to ANYTHING that is considered good. At the end it translates to "games I don't like."

Nope, this thread really isn't feasible. Mainly due to only some people knowing what the definition of overrated is, but others who use it incorrectly. Overrated basically means the game is still good, but just not as good as everybody says it is. This thread failed though.

I say we abort.

An overrated series

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 02:22:26

Fallout. Seriously.

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 05:42:09

At 7/15/12 10:03 AM, cheese654 wrote: The Assassin's Creed series. The controls are horrible and the plot is incomprehensible.
Or maybe I'm just dumb.

I think you're just dumb. The controls are far from horrible (there far too many games out there with worst) and the plot is pretty easy to follow as long as you have a decent attention span.

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 13:46:02

call of duty 5 games 5 years and now 6 this year there to much coming and not a thing has improved in it and at least treyarch those things that makes their games enjoyable like in bo2 with the branching story line that will be good. but they need a new engine and improve on multiplayer big time every body talks about it all the time saying its awesome the best that they has ever been. but thats just a cliche with every call of duty game thats has been released and it's just the same crap all over and over again for the past 5 and possibly 6 years. but i have hopes bo2 and hope it doesn't fail

but the best ones are waw and mw 1
i may post again later i have a headache

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 15:10:13

Honestly, I think the first person shooter genre in general is overrated. I see way too much stuff on the Internet around FPS games. The only ones in that genre I really like are TF2 and Halo (to an extent).

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 16:08:08

I wouldn't say that the Sonic series is overrated because I don't think anybody honestly likes it. The Assassin's Creed series however, is nowhere near the god-send some people act like it is.

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 21:28:51

At 7/15/12 09:53 AM, RyanBustersword123 wrote:
At 7/15/12 01:44 AM, POTaTOS wrote: I choose Minecraft because it has no guns. Halo is way better.
Halo is an FPS. Minecraft is a sandbox game and it's barely a series.
You're comparing two games from two different genres.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

I am RyanBustersword123 and what is sarcasm?

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 21:32:49

minecraft

filler text

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 21:37:57

At 7/16/12 09:32 PM, GrizzlyOne wrote: minecraft

I don't remember there being a Minecraft 2. Since when is it a series?

BBS Signature

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 21:40:27

<quote>I don't remember there being a Minecraft 2. Since when is it a series?</quote>

since notch or whoever announced minecraft 2

filler text

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-16 21:46:38

In my opinions...

Metal Gear Solid - I played few of its versions. Honestly I find out how plain and boring of its gameplay and presentation. Just a goddamn poser game that overrated by blinded fans.

Final Fantasy - I enjoy whatever the game was - only up to VII. After that it's all same shit with remixed stuff, exclusively made for fanbois who can't tell the different between a real and fake adventure game. Where were the good Japanese game makers?

Call of Duty - Modern Warfare and up. Everytime Activision roles out a so-called new version of the COD series, it's a plain boring piece of shit that does some great effect on virtual trigger happy skids. Not so fast, I am not a BF fan either. However I adore COD 1,2 & 3 very much.

Sonic - I am sorry but unfortunately I find games which have similar gameplays are much more original. Period.

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-17 02:33:27

At 7/15/12 12:02 AM, Masterporkygamer wrote: Name a series you think is overrated and why.For me its call of duty.I'm not saying they are bad games.But they are far from being the best.They just are the same thing over and over.But people go out and buy them every year.They don't even fix the problem from the last game and people are all like"ten out ten" "nine out ten" ''best game ever" Best shooter ever" Jeez! wake up people your're getting screwed by Activison and Infinityward but you don't seem to care.

How about "AAA Games" in general. you hear lots of marketing buzz so you think they are better than they actually are...

except art i suppose, that's really the thing that makes AAA games "better" than indie.

Response to An overrated series 2012-07-17 10:04:28

At 7/16/12 09:46 PM, NorskeDrittsekk wrote: In my opinions...

Metal Gear Solid - I played few of its versions. Honestly I find out how plain and boring of its gameplay and presentation. Just a goddamn poser game that overrated by blinded fans.

Metal Gear Solid is the result of Hideo Kojima wanting to make a movie, but being unable to fit 7 of hours of scenes into a single movie. So he made a series of video games.

BBS Signature