00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Zaetalos just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NightCrow's Art wall

3,993 Views | 25 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-08 11:48:19

Hai, since i'm not really a great artist, i'd like to get some reviews on my art. I'm not taking it very professionaly, more of a hobby. Below picture is a mage i did, which is actually made after a costume of mine

NightCrow's Art wall

My art Thread, prepare to get your eyes burned!

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-08 11:50:04

This is a slig (enemy from a game called Oddworld) i strated drawing as a challenge from a friend of mine, PredatorX9. I have to atleast sketch the outlines and such till the end of this week. This is day 1 progress

NightCrow's Art wall

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-08 11:51:18

At 5/8/12 11:50 AM, NiteCrow wrote: This is a slig (enemy from a game called Oddworld) i strated drawing as a challenge from a friend of mine, PredatorX9. I have to atleast sketch the outlines and such till the end of this week. This is day 1 progress

Day 2 (sorry for the multiple post :/)

NightCrow's Art wall

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-08 12:40:08

There really isn't a whole lot to be said Night.

So long as you don't take this seriously, you will never see any real improvement. You're currently very ridgid and slow at drawing, based on the fact that it took you a single day to pump out a leg on a robot. Looking at your mage, it's clear that a little bit of observational drawing would do you some good (It does everyone some good), considering his dimensions are incredibly wonky. His legs should be much longer, he should have a neck, heads aren't ovals, etc.

If you want people to comment and help your art grow, try doing a full drawing and posting it. So far you've done little low detail drawings. Up the complexity a little bit, and up the detail. It's sometimes hard to get people serious enough to tell you what's wrong, as a lot will tell you if they do or don't like it and stop, but when you actually have someone critiquing your work, and can do wonders for you.

That and more people will start commenting on what you're doing. And who doesn't enjoy a little recognition?

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-08 13:28:53

At 5/8/12 12:40 PM, ThunderSpam wrote: There really isn't a whole lot to be said Night.

So long as you don't take this seriously, you will never see any real improvement. You're currently very ridgid and slow at drawing, based on the fact that it took you a single day to pump out a leg on a robot. Looking at your mage, it's clear that a little bit of observational drawing would do you some good (It does everyone some good), considering his dimensions are incredibly wonky. His legs should be much longer, he should have a neck, heads aren't ovals, etc.

If you want people to comment and help your art grow, try doing a full drawing and posting it. So far you've done little low detail drawings. Up the complexity a little bit, and up the detail. It's sometimes hard to get people serious enough to tell you what's wrong, as a lot will tell you if they do or don't like it and stop, but when you actually have someone critiquing your work, and can do wonders for you.

Hi, thanks for your comment, didn't actually expect someone would critique this in a proper way. Anyway, roger, more detailed drawings. And yes, slowness is a problem, along side that i spend too little time doing stuff like this. Mage was crappy mostly because i wanted to draw the costume mainly, so that's why he doesn't have a face nor proper proportions. But yeah, will try to do somethig more detailed, just can't think of anything that would be proper to draw. I'll probably have to check some of my sketches for inspiration :/ Anyway, thanks again for the tips, I appreciate it.

That and more people will start commenting on what you're doing. And who doesn't enjoy a little recognition?

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-10 11:18:15

Bah, my working pc got taken up these two days, and i can't finish my slig project which i was about to dedicate more to. So in the mean time, i present you some of my older to new-ish sketches in the real world:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/96/19353234.jpg/

and a guy i did yesterday out of boredom... but it looked way better in real, because i had to take them with my phone camera, which even though is niceish, can't do the job fully right. So sorry for that, some of the shading is the camera's fault. A more detailed drawing coming up as soon as i get to my other pc!

NightCrow's Art wall

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-11 13:46:29

Quick sketch, awayting any flaw reports or some crit before coloring (this is kinda not my usuall style)

Eye see you!

NightCrow's Art wall

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-11 14:17:16

At 5/11/12 01:46 PM, NiteCrow wrote: Quick sketch, awayting any flaw reports or some crit before coloring (this is kinda not my usuall style)

Eye see you!

Looks good, only the background might need some adjustments like the second line of tree's should be a little more to the bottom.

Click on the sig!

Or my thread

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-12 00:01:46

its good to start young for things like drawing i started when i was 21 and its still a pain in the ass, still learning and when you quite for a while you forget stuff

my recomendation: look for anatomy on the internet, try copying photos until you can do it without a reference, when you get better you`ll start drawing each time faster

cloth, hands, feet: all a pain in the ass

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-12 13:04:06

My hand hurts from drawing fur...lots of fur...

^That means that i was learning to draw fur from reference. This is what i've got right now:
http://pelotes.jea.com/redfox.htm
Ok, that's just the real thing :D Real picture below:

NightCrow's Art wall

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-12 16:11:43

foxes is the way to go :D

try using a darker version of the fox colours for the inner contour, at least if you want a more "realistic" or sober drawing, if you want to go for something more cartoony go for dense unblurred black lines and get rid of details

Its only rape if you say no.

Say no to rape.

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-14 13:24:19

Well, what can i say. Wanted to upload a drawing today for my birthday. Aaaand i got nothing D:

Otherwise than that, currently studying the anatomy a bit further more, i don't know how the hell i'm gonna finish the rest of the fox, and nothing else going on right now. That's it for this lame-o update : /

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-14 14:53:06

Hey N.C.Happy birthday.The fox is very nicely done.put some more job on it(shadows,etc.) :)
P.s
3 days left, until Slig's challenge's finish line.
Hurry up! Or you will LOSE! xD

prX9

my YouTube channel :

http://www.youtube.com/predatorX9

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-16 09:34:34

On the way back to home from school, i was caught up in a rain. And then i started wondering about it. What makes a rain look like rain? And why? So, this entire next week, i'll be probably posting my thoughts about how this and that works and why it looks like.

My observations on the rain, but more of, on water: Rain is a series of dropping water...drops... Each individual drop is sphear shaped when completely still. As it starts dropping affected by the gravity, it's 80-99 % of the mass get's into the tip, while there is a little tail being developed behind it. The faster the drop falls, the longer the tail, the thinner the whole drop is, and the smaller the tip is. As the tail increases it's lenght, it also increases the chances of the tail breaking appart into smaller drops, or particles.
When the water is accumulated on edges of the surffaces, it runs down until it reaches the down most point, or when it reaches a point before an "uphill". Then it accumalates into a drop, until it can't no longer withstand the force of gravity, and then finally breaks apart. When it drops, the water is left to accumulate another drop once more, a little drop behind the main drop formed by the breaking apart action and finally the main drop, WHICH is has a Dissorted shape, caused by the tail hitting the main drop body from inertia.
Also, water doesn't have a true color. It's see through, and it gets the color from objects it reflect and/or dissorts (when the are behind/underneath/anything the water). Water is shaded, just like almost anything else. Water doesn't have a color it self, the color is given when it has additional things mixed in. But, even after this study, i can't draw the water properly D:
And when kids draw the rain drops as straight lines instead of drops with little tails, they're actually drawing them more correctly than otherwise ^^

Also, some stuff about the teeth. Did you wonder why the dentists apply the filling in a special way? It is so the the two teeth must always "mold" together. You can see it for your self in the mirror : the lower row of the teeth have a special bends for the fangs and other teeth.

Have a bit observations left in my mind, I hope someone finds this atleast a bit interesting : / Oh and i'll still be drawing, just got some erm...stuff to do... *coughtekkenonlinecough*

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-16 13:40:23

At 5/8/12 11:51 AM, NiteCrow wrote:
At 5/8/12 11:50 AM, NiteCrow wrote: This is a slig (enemy from a game called Oddworld) i strated drawing as a challenge from a friend of mine, PredatorX9. I have to atleast sketch the outlines and such till the end of this week. This is day 1 progress
Day 2 (sorry for the multiple post :/)

Slig status: Outline finish

GIT IM'

NightCrow's Art wall

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-16 15:46:08

....<:MISION_COMPLETE!!!:>.....
:D
Finally you have draw'ed a slig!!!
Well, what can i say, you have made a well job on it.
Meybe you will make some shadows on him, if you will have a free time between your most seacret and important job's "ehrmehrmTekkenOnlineehrmehrm" xD .
Your thoug's about the rain and water are really interesting to read (i thinked that i was reading a "Dalai Lama's" book :D) .
meybe you should take a picture of a water in the cup, or somthing like that, and try to copy it,
att first try to draw it like in anime cartoon . Why anime? Idk. I think that anime style have some more realisim than, let's say cartoon network cartoon's. It's not very hard to draw anime syled objects if you have some drawing skills :) try to draw the picture of cup full of water as much realistic as posibble, using the anime technique :D
lets say if you will practice every day, after 2 weaks you will be able to draw a realistic looking water.

I hope i hellp'ed you :)

so as always keep up the good work, and have a nice day!

prX9

my YouTube channel :

http://www.youtube.com/predatorX9

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-21 11:49:12

Slig status: Outline finish

GIT IM'

Day 4 (actually day 14 or something, just day 4 as in working on it, and not actually a full day but like 20 minutes and...whatever lol)

Well, decided to shade the guy today aaaaand... I suck when it comes to shading D:

NightCrow's Art wall

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-27 09:18:34

Damn, animating is so frustrating...thanks god i don't animate anymore...but then again, might comeback some day. Actually, i need to animate right now. And...full bodies takes up so much time... idk how others do it... this is just the outline i've got right now : Dump

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-27 09:29:13

At 5/27/12 09:18 AM, NiteCrow wrote: Damn, animating is so frustrating

I hear you man, that shit devours your time and good animations need 25 drawing for just 1 second.

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-05-27 09:53:30

At 5/27/12 09:29 AM, M-Maher wrote:
At 5/27/12 09:18 AM, NiteCrow wrote: Damn, animating is so frustrating
I hear you man, that shit devours your time and good animations need 25 drawing for just 1 second.

Actually alot people use 24fps but only draw every second frame, so its actually only 12 drawings a second.

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-06-05 11:21:27

Hmph, been running out of ideas. So i decided to go with requests. So yeah, feel free to request in this thread, just don't request the same thing over and over again (even if you didn't request it, but instead someone requested it before you). Oh and don't expect whooping HD quality pictures. Also, taking 3 suggestions (there might be more later, but 3 will do for now) of textures (wood, metal, water is also kind of a texture). The 3 first non - repeating texture suggestions will be taken, others will have to hold. Basicaly i'll try to draw a simple object and try to make it eg. metal, wood, ect. Thanks for taking your time 9if you do of course :( ) ^^

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-06-09 12:08:38

Need to keep myself motivated... And since no one is responding, i did this mediocre attempt at a zombie face. It was more detailed while zoomed in, but you can't see some of the details because of how small it is :/

NightCrow's Art wall

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-06-09 17:33:32

Just a thought...

I don't know how you go about doing all of your drawings, so I can only assume you attack all of them the way you did with your slig picture. I think the first thing that I noticed, from your very first post of it, is that you didn't draw any sort of skeleton/guidelines to follow. Even if you're heavily referencing an image, it really helps to have them there. It helps you create more dynamic poses as well as take away all the second guessing you might do once you start adding in the details.

Doing this might even help you speed up the drawing process.

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-06-14 11:51:18

At 6/9/12 05:33 PM, monsterparty wrote: Just a thought...

I don't know how you go about doing all of your drawings, so I can only assume you attack all of them the way you did with your slig picture. I think the first thing that I noticed, from your very first post of it, is that you didn't draw any sort of skeleton/guidelines to follow. Even if you're heavily referencing an image, it really helps to have them there. It helps you create more dynamic poses as well as take away all the second guessing you might do once you start adding in the details.

Doing this might even help you speed up the drawing process.

Ahhh yes, i don't do those, i should try to do those. Thanks for the tip ^^

Been busy animating so forgot to upload this:

NightCrow's Art wall

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-06-14 11:56:36

At 6/14/12 11:51 AM, NiteCrow wrote:
At 6/9/12 05:33 PM, monsterparty wrote:
Ahhh yes, i don't do those, i should try to do those. Thanks for the tip ^^

Been busy animating so forgot to upload this:

Whoops :

NightCrow's Art wall

BBS Signature

Response to NightCrow's Art wall 2012-09-28 12:19:54

Oh god, this has been so dead...

So, school started recently (well, it's actually have been 1 month but w/e), and I took art of course. The new teacher asked us to show our works, and apparently, i got "Qualified" for it (there are 6 people in total in the class, so the teacher can concentrate on different students' styles). I haven't posted my newer works, so you don't really know if what exactly i showed her. Might upload those later. I did some basic practice already (drawing basic shapes and stuff), and got the first assignment : To do a composition of any basic forms. I'll upload it later as soon as i finish it up

So, i recently started doing pixel art. Right now i'm just copying stuff into paint and editing the sprites to get the hang of it.
All of these are made by me (re-made by me that is) and transformed a bit. They are in chronological order of making:
http://i.imgur.com/Yx5mG.png (Ness from earthbound)
http://i.imgur.com/huPle.png (Ash Ketchum)
http://i.imgur.com/8hz5K.png (Megaman)
http://i.imgur.com/wYhv9.png (Samus Aran)

That's all for now ^^

BBS Signature