00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Decky's Warped Mind

18,512 Views | 107 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Decky's Warped Mind 2012-03-26 08:34:01

Welcome to my art thread!

I know that I've already got one but it has been inactive for a while and I've started to create pieces in a different style, using more advance software and a general improvement in my art so I think it's time for a fresh start. So here we go:

1st work

I created a poster for the UK punk festival Rebellion Festival for a college project. I used flash for the guy and then edited it in Photoshop. The background was created by scanning in various hand drawn doodles and then layering them on top of each other in various visibilities. The text was created by ripping and scanning in letters from flyers to give a punk feel to the poster. Enjoy.

Decky's Warped Mind

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-03-26 08:49:43

2nd Work

Another poster that I made for Rebellion Festival, this one has the band names instead of the punk gut graphic.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-03-26 09:15:18

At 3/26/12 08:34 AM, Decky wrote: I know that I've already got one but it has been inactive for a while and I've started to create pieces in a different style, using more advance software and a general improvement in my art so I think it's time for a fresh start. So here we go:

The whole point of an art thread is to be able to look back and see how people have evolved and changed in their styles and skill :P

Knowing that you posted the guy in the emoticon collab really takes away from my opinion of the first piece... he doesn't belong. The 2nd one is much better. I like the background. It's busy but works. The reds don't match.

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-03-26 09:16:25

At 3/26/12 08:35 AM, Amaranthus wrote: I remember that guy on the poster.

Yeah I though that if it wasn't going to be used in that collab that I might as well get some use out of it ;). What do you think of this incarnation of it? I believe it works quite well.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-03-26 09:23:33

At 3/26/12 09:15 AM, ReNaeNae wrote: The whole point of an art thread is to be able to look back and see how people have evolved and changed in their styles and skill :P

This is true although I really didn't like being associated with some of the earlier drawings in that place, plus I have had a username change since I created that art thread.

Knowing that you posted the guy in the emoticon collab really takes away from my opinion of the first piece... he doesn't belong.

Hmmm, I have to disagree with the idea that he doesn't fit. I know that some of the first poster was used in another one of my pieces but it has been edited and I'm not sure if saying that a guy with a mohawk sticking two fingers up doesn't belong on a punk rock festival poster. If that is what you mean.

The 2nd one is much better. I like the background. It's busy but works.

Thank you, I tried to go for a kind of busy heavily graffitied toilet wall kind of thing with the background, I'm quite pleased with how it worked out.

The reds don't match.

I was trying to draw the eye to the title and "Rancid" by using two different reds.

Thanks for your feedback :).

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-03-26 12:19:28

At 3/26/12 09:23 AM, Decky wrote: I'm not sure if saying that a guy with a mohawk sticking two fingers up doesn't belong on a punk rock festival poster. If that is what you mean.

No, I meant the style in which he was drawn doesn't go with the rest of the elements.

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-03-26 17:51:05

At 3/26/12 12:19 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: No, I meant the style in which he was drawn doesn't go with the rest of the elements.

O' I see what you mean. I agree to some extent with what you are saying. what I was trying to do with this piece was create a quite simple punk guy graphic for the center and due to my style of drawing being cartoony and no matter what I do and how much I try and change it it'll probably always be so, that's how it came out. I'll try and make something better soon.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-06-04 19:30:21

3rd Work

I uploaded this The Art Portal a while ago (an hour or two) and completely forgot about this place. I'm not somebody who draws very often nowadays, due to a lot of college work. Anyway, this was a pencil drawing because I hadn't done one for a long time and wondered what I could still draw in "the old school" way. It was then coloured with drawing inks and slightly edited in GIMP. Link below as I would like to get some votes and maybe a review or two for it, I doubt anybody will gather the energy so just give me feedback here in that case.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-06-08 11:14:05

4th Work

Really just a sketch of a skull but I quite like it. Think I may be using it as part of a later piece. Anyway, just a basic pencil drawing and then the lines gone over in pen.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-06-10 10:20:59

4th Work 0.2

Now with added colour.

I used drawing inks and think that with a bit of straw in his mouth and some dungarees I could have myself a nice zombie redneck image.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-06-10 10:33:08

At 6/10/12 10:20 AM, Decky wrote: 4th Work 0.2

Now with added colour.

I used drawing inks and think that with a bit of straw in his mouth and some dungarees I could have myself a nice zombie redneck image.

Id love to see that head on a body, haha. Seriously though, you should draw a body for it

"Colors, like features, follow the changes of the emotions."

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-06-10 10:42:00

At 6/10/12 10:33 AM, sirhenrystudios wrote: Id love to see that head on a body, haha. Seriously though, you should draw a body for it

I will be, I'm thinking of some kind of American Gothic like image, in the way that I really wanna make this guy a rural character with a farm house of sorts in the background.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-08-10 15:37:54

Been workin' on my baking skills.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-08-26 09:39:10

WIP of another skull, this one I'm making in sumo paint as my girlfriend got it with her newq tablet and I wanted to see what I could make with it. As it stands I think that i'll end up running it through GIMP once I'm done colouring to see what I can improve.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-08-26 12:56:11

Pretty sure that I've finished the colouring now but I'm lost as to what to but as the background. Has anybody got any ideas? Could really do with some help.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-08-26 14:46:48

5th Piece

Well I'm calling it done and have uploaded it to the portal, please comment and vote......anybody.......nope, this place is a ghost town. Anyway yeah, link below.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-02 15:24:56

6th Piece

Just a little something. Please vote and review.

Heres a pic if you can't be arsed to press the link.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-02 15:37:52

At 9/2/12 03:24 PM, Decky wrote: 6th Piece

Just a little something. Please vote and review.
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/decky/purple-frog
Heres a pic if you can't be arsed to press the link.

Not bad. I really think the colors work.
Speaking of, I think you should experiment with some wild colors. I think it might work with some of your pieces.

Whiskey | The Old | The New | Portal | updated sig thanks to gumby

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-02 15:58:33

At 9/2/12 03:37 PM, Kinsei01 wrote: Not bad. I really think the colors work.

Thanks, I tried to use bold, cold colours to make it seem kind of like a nu skool tattoo.

Speaking of, I think you should experiment with some wild colors. I think it might work with some of your pieces.

Not a bad idea, I'll be more bold with my use of colour for my next piece.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-04 12:22:53

You've commented a lot in my thread so I feel I should return the love.
I've noticed that I really like your drawings that have really solid lines and coloring like the one for the cupcake collab with the big gold dude as well as the Joker guy in your art thread (which you should totally expand on). However I feel when you get into the softer shading the quality goes down. I think mostly it is your darks aren't dark enough and your lights aren't light enough (contrast values? I can't think of the proper term right now). You're linework also is a bit shaky, I don't know what your resources are so maybe they're limiting it. Hope I was of some help. Keep on kickin' ass.

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-05 12:49:21

At 9/4/12 12:22 PM, JackDGreatest wrote: Hope I was of some help. Keep on kickin' ass.

Thanks for the feedback and yes it was of help. I'll try and use darker and lighter colours in the future.

Here's the line art for another piece that I've been working on.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-05 14:01:23

Reminds me the art style Iron Maiden use :3

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-05 16:20:02

At 9/5/12 02:01 PM, BeckyRawr wrote: Reminds me the art style Iron Maiden use :3

Is a little like Eddie I'll give you that hahaha.

Added a little bit of colour.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-05 19:39:54

7th Piece

I'm calling this done now, hope that you all like it. Link below as well as a smaller version :).

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-07 20:18:05

At 9/5/12 07:39 PM, Decky wrote: 7th Piece

I'm calling this done now, hope that you all like it. Link below as well as a smaller version :).
http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/decky/reaper

I really like the cloak's colors its seriously awesome. I think that the eye holes, noes hole, mouth and area within the hood would benefit from being flt black like the linework.

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-08 08:43:25

At 9/7/12 08:18 PM, JackDGreatest wrote: I really like the cloak's colors its seriously awesome. I think that the eye holes, noes hole, mouth and area within the hood would benefit from being flt black like the linework.

Cheers for the advice, I'll take it on board and try to improve.

Line art for my next piece. It needs something to the right of it I think, Maybe a chinese character or something.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-10 04:43:41

Well, it has been a strange couple of days for me. I've been suffering with some chronic headaches that have made it nearly impossible to even consider drawing. They are all but gone now but due to this progress on my latest piece has been slow at best. Here is what I got so far.

Also I got a new Facebook like page for my art. If you have an account and would like it that'd be awesome.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-10 14:38:09

Right, I think I'm going to call it a day and continue with this tomorrow but this is what I got so far. I know that in places the colouring needs going over but I think it's coming along.

Decky's Warped Mind

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-10 14:45:46

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'm really not a fan of this blurry fuzzy colouring that you've been doing :/

Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2012-09-10 14:49:38

At 9/10/12 02:45 PM, big-jonny-13 wrote: I don't know if I'm the only one, but I'm really not a fan of this blurry fuzzy colouring that you've been doing :/

Fair enough, it's a style I'm going for. Sharp out line and more blurred colour to give the pieces like a tattoo feel. I guess like everything it's down to personal taste.

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature