New Topic Respond to this Topic
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-02-09 19:17:20 Reply

It's quite rare that I do random little doodles but today was just one of those days as I sat down with some Monty Python and for some reason made this bit of crap.

Decky's Warped Mind

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-02-19 13:06:21 Reply

3D purple planet, been a while since I tried 3D.

Higher Quality Version

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-02-27 09:01:44 Reply

At 2/19/13 01:06 PM, Decky wrote: 3D purple planet, been a while since I tried 3D.

Using the same sort of technique I've started to make what I think I might use as a title page in my portfolio for up and coming university interviews. What do you think so far?

Yes, the cliffs at the bottom were an existing image that was edited. It's only the bottom and the rest is original.
It's original size is A3 so this is scaled down. I tried to link to the original here but the dump is being slow.

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-02-27 12:09:49 Reply

At 2/27/13 09:01 AM, Decky wrote:
At 2/19/13 01:06 PM, Decky wrote: 3D purple planet, been a while since I tried 3D.
Using the same sort of technique I've started to make what I think I might use as a title page in my portfolio for up and coming university interviews. What do you think so far?

haha that looks awefull! I know you can take it.

The opposing light sources make no sense. bright light on the mountains from the front and pretty bright light on the planets from the side/back.

God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-02-27 20:57:42 Reply

At 2/27/13 12:09 PM, Tomsan wrote: haha that looks awefull!

Blunt but to the point, guessing awefull is the same as awful ;).

The opposing light sources make no sense. bright light on the mountains from the front and pretty bright light on the planets from the side/back.

I see your point about that, it was a stupid mistake on my part. I've done my best to mend it and try to make it better in general, hopefully this is more to your liking. It is me trying something almost completely new to me remember.

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-03-16 12:29:58 Reply

Well, I got one offer so far to study graphic design at Chester University and this has brought around a sudden realisation, I'm expected in september to turn up with a good knowledge and skill with Illustrator, a software that I really can't stand. I'm currently sorting getting a copy but does anybody know any good tutorials for it? I'm going to try and teach myself form the basics over the summer.

Below is just a random sketch I did the other day, might as well post it.

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Lemmiwinks91
Lemmiwinks91
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-03-16 22:35:42 Reply

At 3/16/13 12:29 PM, Decky wrote: Well, I got one offer so far to study graphic design at Chester University and this has brought around a sudden realisation, I'm expected in september to turn up with a good knowledge and skill with Illustrator, a software that I really can't stand. I'm currently sorting getting a copy but does anybody know any good tutorials for it? I'm going to try and teach myself form the basics over the summer.
Below is just a random sketch I did the other day, might as well post it.

http://vector.tutsplus.com/

Nice thread, i'd just like to say when you are colouring in digitally try not not use the soft brush and use a hard brush with transfer and shape dynamics on providing you have a wacom tablet. This is if you are using photoshop which i'm assuming you are.

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-03-17 16:47:18 Reply

At 3/16/13 10:35 PM, Lemmiwinks91 wrote: http://vector.tutsplus.com/

Thanks for the link :).

Nice thread, i'd just like to say when you are colouring in digitally try not not use the soft brush and use a hard brush with transfer and shape dynamics on providing you have a wacom tablet. This is if you are using photoshop which i'm assuming you are.

Not quite, I tend to use freeware like Sumo Paint as I'm not into forking out a lot of cash for software and I hate using tablets, I've always used a mouse. Tried to make the jump to a tablet a year or so back in college but I really didn't like it.

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-11-05 12:58:58 Reply

From one of my uni projects. Basically I had these dimensions and a circle in the center, with this I had to portray one of the planets from the Gustav Holst's orchestral suite The Planets using just colour and type, this one is Mars - The Bringer of War. It's been quite a good exercise in getting to grips with typography. Two more coming soon.

Also it's been a while.

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-11-12 11:12:20 Reply

Second in the series. Saturn - The Bringer of Old Age.

For this one I placed positive quotes about ageing on the outside of the circle and then a more dark, cynical view point of ageing in the centre. I think I got the theme across well but feedback would be nice.

Seriously guys, feedback would be awesome.

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-11-12 12:40:40 Reply

When working with typography, legibility should have a high priority I think. Text over text is usually a big no-no, but I'm also looking at the hands of the clock, specifically the one for minutes. Squishing and stretching text *can* work if it's only by a very small percentage, otherwise you'd be better off choosing an extended version of that typeface, or adjust the tracking. That also goes for the quote at the bottom.

I do like the way you've sorted the background text though, compared to the Mars one it's much more interesting to look at. However, I don't think the words are following your concept of positive on the outside, dark on the inside. "Death" is one of the more prominent words getting repeated, which is as negative as it could get I imagine.

Composition wise, I'm not really sure what's going on. My eyes are drawn towards the hands of the clock because of the high contrast between the hands and the background, but other than that I don't feel like there's any direction to it. I didn't really get the idea of dark inside positive outside, but that might've just been me.

Continuing on composition, I think making the inner circle dark with white text on top would make that idea more obvious, but I'm assuming the colour had to be recognizable from Saturn. What I'm thinking instead would be flipping that whole concept, so the text inside has a positive view, while the surroundings are all dark, cold, and cynical (like space!). That way you could also have all the word in the background just spell "Death" at different sizes, so as to clear up any noise there too.

Another thing is the composition is almost entirely playing on one colour tone. Maybe more colours could've been applied to the composition?

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-11-13 06:36:21 Reply

At 11/12/13 12:40 PM, Havegum wrote: Feedback

Cheers for the feedback Havegum. Did a couple of moderations here and there and now I think it's much better. Going to go back and work on Mars some more now.

Picture quality a little low

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-11-13 11:17:07 Reply

Improved Mars now too :)

I know the quality of these picture is bad. They seem to have a file size over 1mb :(. Guessing it's because I'm using Illustrator, not my favourite software. Anyway here is some good quality links too:

Mars - The Bringer of War
Saturn - The Bringer of Old Age

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-11-13 17:50:40 Reply

At 11/13/13 11:17 AM, Decky wrote: Improved Mars now too :)

I think the quadruple text is working really well but I notice some of the lines are not properly aligned. I also like how the "War is hell" quote is placed in the open spot, but I think it lacks a real "punch" so to speak. I'm not a big fan of using Arial, I think you'd be better off choosing a grotesque with more character.

I'm also not liking the gradient and text in the background, it looks bland and boring to me. Perhaps you could make their size proportionate to how devastating they were?

BBS Signature
JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Artist
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-11-13 20:06:47 Reply

At 11/12/13 11:12 AM, Decky wrote: Second in the series. Saturn - The Bringer of Old Age.

For this one I placed positive quotes about ageing on the outside of the circle and then a more dark, cynical view point of ageing in the centre. I think I got the theme across well but feedback would be nice.
Seriously guys, feedback would be awesome.

I think that this one looks a bit busy with all of the words everywhere, I would say maybe lose the transparent overlayed words just keep them as the background. I get what you are going for with the moving hands and the "motion blur" thing but I think it might look a bit sharper if were just the solid words. The clock as a whole could take up more of the canvas in my opinion but I'm not 100% if that will help much.
That's my input. I'm by no means a professional and may have given you bad advice, but hopefully some of it will help.

Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-11-13 21:46:14 Reply

Cheers for the feedback guys.

At 11/13/13 02:45 PM, Amaranthus wrote: Tried touching them up in Photoshop yet?

Can only use Illustrator on this project.

At 11/13/13 05:50 PM, Havegum wrote: I think the quadruple text is working really well but I notice some of the lines are not properly aligned.

I had noticed that myself although I'm finding it hard to get it just right on Illustrator, not my best software.

I also like how the "War is hell" quote is placed in the open spot, but I think it lacks a real "punch" so to speak. I'm not a big fan of using Arial, I think you'd be better off choosing a grotesque with more character.

The idea behind the very basic, standard font choices in the Mars piece is a reflection on the same choices used on the British war posters so I'm reluctant to change that.

I'm also not liking the gradient and text in the background, it looks bland and boring to me. Perhaps you could make their size proportionate to how devastating they were?

Hmmm, I see where you are coming from about the gradient as it's my least favorite aspect of the piece but I'm not sure if I want to completely get rid of it. Maybe make it diagonal and have it going from black to grey as apposed to nearly white.

At 11/13/13 08:06 PM, JackDCurleo wrote: The clock as a whole could take up more of the canvas in my opinion but I'm not 100% if that will help much.

Sadly the circle has to be that size, the brief doesn't allow for it to be changed.

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-11-14 06:46:24 Reply

At 11/13/13 09:46 PM, Decky wrote:
I also like how the "War is hell" quote is placed in the open spot, but I think it lacks a real "punch" so to speak. I'm not a big fan of using Arial, I think you'd be better off choosing a grotesque with more character.
The idea behind the very basic, standard font choices in the Mars piece is a reflection on the same choices used on the British war posters so I'm reluctant to change that.

Googling British war posters I get showed tons of different typefaces, the "Keep calm and carry on" seems to be the only one seen using Arial, and even then it's only in modern takes on it (since Arial wasn't released until long after the war).

From the image below showing some of the typefaces I came across, and I'd say they're fairly varied maybe you can google up some inspiration?

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-11-19 07:28:15 Reply

Venus - The Bringer of Peace

Higher Quality Version

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2013-12-24 13:14:27 Reply

Decided to submit it with just the three that were needed for my project as I'm currently pushed for time with other things. Anyway, give it a vote and if you're feeling nice a review.

• The Planet Series
    The Planet Series by Decky

This piece was created for a university project. I had to design three graphics to represent three of The Planets, Gustav Hol...

Score
    5.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Other
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Also have a Merry Christmas.

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-01-21 07:19:33 Reply

A bit of collage work.

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-02-04 11:11:20 Reply

An Implicit Treasure Island poster.

Feedback would be most appreciated.

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-02-12 06:02:35 Reply

At 2/4/14 11:11 AM, Decky wrote: An Implicit Treasure Island poster.

And and explicit one :).

Feedback?

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-02-12 10:47:43 Reply

At 2/12/14 06:02 AM, Decky wrote: And and explicit one :).

Made better, I think.

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-04-02 16:26:23 Reply

Just messing around with a lino print that I made, scanned and then edited in Photoshop. Think this could look good with a bit more work. Think I'll be using this for a uni project where I have to make a graphic with several techniques. Just gotta get a song lyric and something from a digital photograph I have taken and I'm gone. I think...

I'll have to read the brief again.

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-05-13 07:50:16 Reply

A new poster. Anybody still looking through this thread?

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-05-13 10:10:19 Reply

At 5/13/14 07:50 AM, Decky wrote: A new poster. Anybody still looking through this thread?

Better version.

• Plush
    Plush by Decky

Another one of my university projects. This time I had to create a graphic for a song that included some of the songs lyrics,...

Score
    5.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Ages 13+

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-11-11 08:48:47 Reply

Well, I haven't updated this for a while. Currently I'm busy with my university work, most of which has no place in the art portal or even this thread but I thought I'd post a taste of what I've been up to, so, stand by for some branding!

This is branding for a local art centre. It includes a new logo, letterhead, business car (front and back), compliment slip and a web banner ad.

Better Quality Image Here (slightly as it is A2)

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-11-11 14:54:05 Reply

At 11/11/14 08:48 AM, Decky wrote: Well, I haven't updated this for a while. Currently I'm busy with my university work, most of which has no place in the art portal or even this thread but I thought I'd post a taste of what I've been up to, so, stand by for some branding!

I don't know if you're looking for feedback on this but here we go.

In todays modern world, it's important to keep in mind where and how your logotype is going to be displayed. Sometimes it's on the edge of a poster, sometimes it's a large image on a monitor. Maybe it'll have to fit the 16px limits of typical internet browser favicons, and maybe it'll be displayed on a banner spanning several floors on the side of a building. You need to make sure your logotype is still recognizable and gets the message across in all of these scenarios.

In this case, "castle park" and "centre" becomes illegible at slightly less than 100 pixels. It's always risky to incorporate fonts into your logo - especially fonts with low weight - because they quickly turn illegible once they're displayed in a smaller size. A lot of brands separate their logo and text to avoid this.

On larger sizes it's important that every little detail is perfect because every little error is going to be blown up in everyones faces. The most obvious inconsistencies are the x-height of the font "arts" is set in. It creates a messy rythm that doesn't fit the otherwise symmetrical and harmonious profile. The same goes for the kerning of "castle park" and "centre". Few fonts have perfectly kerned glyph pairs, so it's necessary to go in and tweak that. The lines wrapping around "centre" are also different in size.

Your brands colours are four monochrome greens - green can be described as a very natural colour, monochrome palettes can be described as peaceful and harmonious, and the triangle is a recurring theme, which is very balanced and symmetrical. These can all be positive traits, but all of these on their own and combined can sometimes be too natural, too harmonious, and too balanced - to the point of dull, monotonous, uninteresting.

This is problematic especially in marketing - where the goal is to grab attention. If your branding dictates a neutral expression it can be a challenge to make your advertisements get noticed. When I think of an arts centre I think bold, expressive. Maybe you can find a way to incorporate that in your design?

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-11-12 09:42:04 Reply

At 11/11/14 02:54 PM, Havegum wrote: I don't know if you're looking for feedback on this but here we go.

It was more just to update this thread as it had been several months. I didn't know how much graphic design knowledge was in The Art Portal so I welcome your feedback. I just wasn't really expecting any.

In todays modern world, it's important to keep in mind where and how your logotype is going to be displayed. Sometimes it's on the edge of a poster, sometimes it's a large image on a monitor. Maybe it'll have to fit the 16px limits of typical internet browser favicons, and maybe it'll be displayed on a banner spanning several floors on the side of a building. You need to make sure your logotype is still recognizable and gets the message across in all of these scenarios.

I understand what you are saying. To my knowledge the Logo will only really be used on the sign for the Art Centre, this will be a quite substantial size and on their website. All the other trimmings on this are just to give the client an idea of how it could be used. They may make the business cards, I don't know. As for use of the Logo in a small size I was going to just use the top of the triangle with none of the text. Sorry for not making that clear.

In this case, "castle park" and "centre" becomes illegible at slightly less than 100 pixels. It's always risky to incorporate fonts into your logo - especially fonts with low weight - because they quickly turn illegible once they're displayed in a smaller size. A lot of brands separate their logo and text to avoid this.

This was something that was bugging me also. I think maybe a change of font is in order.

On larger sizes it's important that every little detail is perfect because every little error is going to be blown up in everyones faces. The most obvious inconsistencies are the x-height of the font "arts" is set in. It creates a messy rythm that doesn't fit the otherwise symmetrical and harmonious profile. The same goes for the kerning of "castle park" and "centre". Few fonts have perfectly kerned glyph pairs, so it's necessary to go in and tweak that. The lines wrapping around "centre" are also different in size.

Honestly, after some of the things you pointed out here I thought to myself "I noticed this and changed it last week" I think some off the little details you are speaking of have been fixed and I posted an older version here *face palm*. The lines at the bottom are thing thing that made me click onto that. Because I completely re did them and made sure.

Your brands colours are four monochrome greens - green can be described as a very natural colour, monochrome palettes can be described as peaceful and harmonious, and the triangle is a recurring theme, which is very balanced and symmetrical. These can all be positive traits, but all of these on their own and combined can sometimes be too natural, too harmonious, and too balanced - to the point of dull, monotonous, uninteresting.

I do agree that this color scheme can be seen as dull but I like the use of green because the art centre is in the middle of a big park (it also has a clock tower on the top of the building, hence the clock tower logo) but to be honest I'm unaware on how to make the colour scheme more interesting without going against the simple style that I have gone for.

This is problematic especially in marketing - where the goal is to grab attention. If your branding dictates a neutral expression it can be a challenge to make your advertisements get noticed. When I think of an arts centre I think bold, expressive. Maybe you can find a way to incorporate that in your design?

Hmmmm, I was earlier in the ideas thinking of the triangle logo as a negative in a paint splat but thought it was a little cliche. What do you think?

Thank you again for your feedback.

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Decky's Warped Mind 2014-11-12 10:31:15 Reply

At 11/12/14 09:42 AM, Decky wrote: As for use of the Logo in a small size I was going to just use the top of the triangle with none of the text.

Here is a quick mock up of what I mean. Though the 16 px I have to admit is still far to illegible

Decky's Warped Mind

BBS Signature