00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

snoozerzz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion

12,710 Views | 142 Replies

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-09 10:39:29

I'm looking forward to judging these submissions -- going to wait until I start the process to giving them a listen, but it looks like there's a pretty good turnout so far! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-09 11:38:57

At 14 minutes ago, varrin7 wrote: I apologize for my original question in the other MAC thread. I though I had clicked the right one, but then I noticed all the audio entries after I had posted.

Anyways I wanted to know if it's permitted to use choirs in my entry?

I believe so. I used choirs, quite a few other entries make use of choirs and BrokenDeck hasn't said anything about it. Also, choirs are technically part of the orchestra and they aren't considered electronic instruments like synths for example.

That, and last year's Orchestral NAC had plenty of submissions with choirs.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-09 22:06:36

The user BlueAngelEagle has submitted a song for the contest that he made the DAY BEFORE the contest was ANNOUNCED.

Should we still let his song in?

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-11 07:20:15

At 1 day ago, BrokenDeck wrote: The user BlueAngelEagle has submitted a song for the contest that he made the DAY BEFORE the contest was ANNOUNCED.

Should we still let his song in?

I suppose there's not much harm in it. I vote he gets let in.

Also, Echo submitted his track. I was afraid he'd do that.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-11 14:35:31

At 7 hours ago, Supersteph54 wrote: Also, Echo submitted his track. I was afraid he'd do that.

I suppose I should edit my submission then. There are some things I didn't add before, and there are some things I overlooked big time. I'm glad that I'm allowed to do this :):)

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-11 22:00:48

At 2 hours ago, varrin7 wrote: So we aren't aloud to make piano only songs, but are we allowed to include piano in our entry?

Yes you can include piano in your song.

At 10 minutes ago, Computer112 wrote: We aren't allow to make cover or remix right?

The song must be completely original.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-12 10:06:34

It was brought to my attention that the melody in my track was almost identical to a melody from the film Kung Fu Panda. I would like to issue an official apology regards my doing this and would like to assure you it was not intentional as I have a bad habit of writing melodies which I've heard before but believe are mine and I have in fact done it before. I have taken the necessary steps to change my melody so it is different from the melody in the film, but I am not sure if it is different enough. If anyone feels I should change the melody further, by all means tell me so I will do so.

Thank you to Computer112 and Supersteph54 for bringing this to my attention, and sorry once again to anyone who might've thought I'd stolen the melody intentionally.

Echo

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-12 10:16:25

At 2 minutes ago, Echo wrote: If anyone feels I should change the melody further, by all means tell me so I will do so.

I'm glad you apologised.

By the way, since Echo forgot to mention; here's the song in question which had the same melody that he used throughout his song Eye of the Dragon (listen to the melody played by the woodwind at the very beginning). He changed the melody now; I'm just wondering if it's still OK now that the melody is changed, since there still is the rule of 'no remixes'.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-12 10:44:58

I decided to take part.

My piece doesn't have a huge variety of instruments, but I tried my best to make a decent song that qualified as orchestral:3

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-12 15:35:06

So far I have seen some absolutely amazing pieces here... Totally reaffirmed my belief that the AP has some extremely talented composers in traditional orchestral. I've tried to review a few of my favorite pieces so far, but I have missed a few and others are so grand I cannot really bring myself to review them and others that I was going to and then kinda forgot, so I'm sorry if I missed a few.

I have always thought of myself as a fairly good orchestral artist, but compared to some of these, I am beginning to feel like some random guy in a room full of orchestral greats. I think the amount of participation, from greats, yet also the great work by some lesser members, some of whom I have never even heard of, is a testament to the vastness of this community. I have yet to hear a baroque piece, but if I do, we will have covered pretty much every period of orchestra/ensemble-based classical (medieval and back is where the groups start playing more in unison and such).

Anyone else had their mind blown by all of this or is it just me? ;P

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-12 17:09:48

At 1 hour ago, samulis wrote: Anyone else had their mind blown by all of this or is it just me? ;P

Nope, not just you. During orchestral competitions like these I always feel as if the brilliant orchestral composers of Newgrounds decide to stop hiding, come out of nowhere and produce some genius.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-12 17:37:10

At 1 hour ago, samulis wrote: Anyone else had their mind blown by all of this or is it just me? ;P

Me too. It not only encouraged me to work hard on my own music, but I was surprised to see such a turnout. Now, quantity is one thing, but the level of quality has been REALLY high! And some people are producing their best work yet.

Regardless of the winner, I think we all benefit from this thing!

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-13 11:00:50

At 17 hours ago, NickPerrin wrote:
Me too. It not only encouraged me to work hard on my own music, but I was surprised to see such a turnout. Now, quantity is one thing, but the level of quality has been REALLY high! And some people are producing their best work yet.

Regardless of the winner, I think we all benefit from this thing!

Absolutely!

But yeah, im absolutely stunned at the awesome themes people have came up with, compositions are really well thought out and people have put in so much effort. Tough time for the judges as there are so many excellent entries!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-14 09:28:33

Hey! Just letting a notice my song's nearing completion, but I'm having a hard time with the final bits.

I really hope to post it in time, I've been working my ass off on this piece for the last month, and I think it's safe to call it my best work yet!

I'm also just as amazed as everybody else as to the general quality of the submissions this year, it seems everybody's given their best, and it's highly encouraging!

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-15 00:10:54

Today is the LAST DAY that this contest will be accepting submissions! Get 'em in while they're hot!

:O :O :O :O :O

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-15 13:02:39

At 12 hours ago, BrokenDeck wrote: Today is the LAST DAY that this contest will be accepting submissions! Get 'em in while they're hot!

O :O :O :O :O

Been working for 12 hours straight now. Got my gear yesterday so with some luck I'll be able to finish it before the deadline ends...

12 hours.... :(

Film & Game Composer - 4 Years with FL Studio - Contact me

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/lis ten/471408

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-15 15:19:14

Hey all :D

I've just finished my piece. Started today.. x) I never thought I'd make it. Now I'm finally at peace...
I'm BTW loving all of your hard work, I'm listening trough them all now for deep
relaxation.

Film & Game Composer - 4 Years with FL Studio - Contact me

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/lis ten/471408

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-15 20:35:42

Under 4 hours left people!

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-15 20:38:06

There are so many submissions I'm trying to rank them against each other but its really giving my a headache... I've listened to about 40 of them so far. I've taken the most note of: Eluding Darkness, Apocalypse 2012, World Elves Left Behind, Sanctuary, and MAC12: New Beginnings. Still more to listen too tho...
On a side note Viking Barbers from Space has got to be the most creative title I have seen for a song following this theme and would make a good, quicky flash animation.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-15 20:39:21

So much participation in this contest!

Good work to all!

Judges are gonna have a fun time :)

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-15 23:05:42

ONE more hour to go!

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-15 23:21:19

Finally got around to posting mine, after around a month and a half of work!

I'm completely exhausted from the work done in the past week, hardly got any sleep, and I've used 100% of my time working on this.

Good luck to all the other competitors, I've heard so much good stuff up to now, I can hardly wait to see the results!

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-15 23:40:33

Count me in the started-on-the-last-day club. If only there were more hours in a day. Anyways, the title of my track, The Grand Quest For More Beer, got clipped, losing the word Beer at the end. Careless as I am, I did not notice until I had published, not wanting to miss the deadline. There doesn't seem to a way of editing the title at this point. Oh well, I'm sure that will be implemented soon.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-16 00:04:38

THAT'S IT!

The deadline for entry has now passed.

Good luck to everyone.

A Top 8 will be announced next week!

Godspeed...

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-16 01:48:01

Wow 70 entries unless I missed a couple somewhere. They are all high quality too. That is going to be hard to judge. I'm curious to see if I come up with the same top 8 as the official judges. Maybe I'll post which 8 I like best when I finalize my list. It will be interesting to see how a complete noob's top 8 compare with the experts' top 8.

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-16 06:31:03

Oh man, this is going to be tough. A lot of people in this contest really gave it their all.

The decent, good-sport person inside me wants to wish everyone luck, but the competitive bastard inside me is desperately hoping I do well.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-16 06:32:00

At 4 hours ago, NitrogenousBeing wrote: Wow 70 entries unless I missed a couple somewhere.

Holy sheet - 70 ?!

I don't want to be the judge of that. I didn't listen to all of them, but some of those I've listened to are amazing enough to realize I won't stand a chance in this. Whoever makes it to the final 8 can be very proud of what he / her accomplished!

Good luck, everyone!!!

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-16 13:43:21

Good work everybody! And good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-16 17:07:42

At 10 hours ago, JPRixdorfer wrote: Holy sheet - 70 ?!

Whoever makes it to the final 8 can be very proud of what he / her accomplished!

Totally... The judges are determining the top 8 classical-Orchestral artists in all of Newgrounds at this time.

Under pressure! Pushing down on me!

Thank goodness I am not judging!

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion 2012-02-16 22:36:17

Holy SHEEEEET! There are so many goddamn brilliant entries.

Thank you SO MUCH for making it really hard to judge! :3