Bosa
Bosa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 20th, 2012 @ 02:51 PM Reply

Every one who enters is going to do such a great job! I honestly can't wait to hear the upcoming submissions to this contest!

Give it everything you've got! Be sure to add as much detail to your instruments as possible since this is a strictly orchestral competition, and I believe the best way to put me in my place is to make a piece that is not so repetitious -- keep the listener interested and eager to hear what comes next! This is a very fun contest, fellows!

Those that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength

BBS Signature
Echo
Echo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 22nd, 2012 @ 04:30 AM Reply

Almost done from mah track, 4 minutes of orchestral goodness coming up :3

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 22nd, 2012 @ 05:26 AM Reply

At 1/22/12 04:30 AM, Echo wrote: Almost done from mah track, 4 minutes of orchestral goodness coming up :3

I'm 2 minutes in and it's turning out great. It's on, Echo.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
Echo
Echo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 22nd, 2012 @ 06:44 AM Reply

At 1/22/12 05:26 AM, Supersteph54 wrote:
At 1/22/12 04:30 AM, Echo wrote: Almost done from mah track, 4 minutes of orchestral goodness coming up :3
I'm 2 minutes in and it's turning out great. It's on, Echo.

Come at me bro!

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
reel2
reel2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 02:52 AM Reply

I wish I could make something better for this contest but my soundcard broke down, then after that my reserve soundcard broke down, then my harddrive broke down all in the same day, and now my modwheel doesn't work and I'm waiting on my new equipment............. Maybe if I hurry after I've setup the new equip I might be able to compete properly.

For now this is the only thing I'm entering with.

• Emotional Cello
    Emotional Cello by reel2

Click to listen.

Score
    4.39 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

my story.

Film & Game Composer - 4 Years with FL Studio - Contact me
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/lis ten/471408

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 07:28 AM Reply

At 1/23/12 02:52 AM, reel2 wrote: I wish I could make something better for this contest but my soundcard broke down, then after that my reserve soundcard broke down, then my harddrive broke down all in the same day, and now my modwheel doesn't work and I'm waiting on my new equipment............. Maybe if I hurry after I've setup the new equip I might be able to compete properly.

For now this is the only thing I'm entering with.
my story.

It's sorta ironic if you think about it...Your computer has went down and your music has suffered a blow because of it. And your track is similar to The Titanic theme. :P

I know how you feel though, my sound card has recently packed in yesterday and it's just not throwing out sound anymore, even though recognised by the system. My standard sound via the mobo works though. The wierd thing is though im starting to hear things i couldnt hear on the soundcard. Violins are sounding gritty instead of soft and it's made me rething my stuff. Harddrive though is a b*tch to lose, when those go down it's super frustrating! Hope you get your system back up to speed soon!

BBS Signature
reel2
reel2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 10:33 AM Reply

Haha it probably got me inspired.. :''( Owell, I went nuts and bought equiptment for 2500 USD. Studio monitors and everything. Can't wait :D I've never had speakers before, only a gaming headset and a buggy x-fi creative soundcard

Film & Game Composer - 4 Years with FL Studio - Contact me
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/lis ten/471408

PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 23rd, 2012 @ 11:52 AM Reply

At 1/23/12 10:33 AM, reel2 wrote: Haha it probably got me inspired.. :''( Owell, I went nuts and bought equiptment for 2500 USD. Studio monitors and everything. Can't wait :D I've never had speakers before, only a gaming headset and a buggy x-fi creative soundcard

lol! Thats what I had! Im looking elsewhere now to see what i can replace it with. Thinking about the maudio 192. Not sure with as its alot to part with...but nothing compared to 2500!!!

BBS Signature
Special-Ed
Special-Ed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 24th, 2012 @ 06:34 PM Reply

sweet! Man, I need critiques! Is there someone out there kind enough to share their opinion with me? I've literally got the song open, ready to edit, waiting for a suggestion.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/4 67105

Let's ride bikes!

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 07:47 AM Reply

Hey Special ed. It's sounding good. You have a claming bit at about 2:30. Then you come back into the tune again about 2:50, it would be amazing to go full throttle instead of dying out, really hit it maybe with some sustained theme from string or brass, it seems like we're leading up and up and up and then there's no climax. I like your composition, it's a bit repetitive but it imo it works. Becareful not to go too 'Sunshine' ;)

On another note, you may benefit from using Edirol orchestra or some additional orchestra sounds to really boost your sound of your orchestra minus the percussion, as it's dominating just a bit.

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 10:20 AM Reply

At 1/22/12 05:26 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: I'm 2 minutes in

Progress report. 2 minutes and 14 seconds in.

This is taking a while.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 25th, 2012 @ 12:14 PM Reply

Oh i hate it when that happens... you spend ages n ages on a few seconds trying to get the sound right.

Dont worry...im only 1minute 1 second in.

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 28th, 2012 @ 04:01 PM Reply

Two minutes thirty-five seconds. I even added a time signature change and yet another mood change. It's turning out pretty well.

Oh and by the way, I'm using a classical guitar quite a bit in my track (focus is still on oboes, horns, strings and all that good stuff, but I do have some parts which make prominent use of the guitar). I know it's mentioned that it's allowed, but it's not exactly part of the standard orchestra. Is it a problem?

And how are everyone else's submissions coming along? :3

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 29th, 2012 @ 11:23 AM Reply

I'm pretty content with mine... might try to add some more percussion at some point, but that's about it unless I find a part to add more woodwinds.

• The Crown of Arlidor
    The Crown of Arlidor by samulis

Click to listen.

Score
    4.50 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 30th, 2012 @ 04:50 AM Reply

At 1/28/12 04:01 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: Two minutes thirty-five seconds. I even added a time signature change and yet another mood change. It's turning out pretty well.

Oh and by the way, I'm using a classical guitar quite a bit in my track (focus is still on oboes, horns, strings and all that good stuff, but I do have some parts which make prominent use of the guitar). I know it's mentioned that it's allowed, but it's not exactly part of the standard orchestra. Is it a problem?

And how are everyone else's submissions coming along? :3

As far as I know from the rules it's an acoustic member so should be fine. Even that, you can use any instrument as long as it's not in the forefront.

Music wise - I'm actually about the same. Two mins 2:28Secs here and just finished establishing the mood/genre of the piece. I do feel like I need the possible 4-5 mins though to tell a story, but I dont want to bore people either, so i'll see where it takes me. I'm a bit meh with what I have, but I've spent far too long on this piece to not continue it.

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Jan. 30th, 2012 @ 08:46 AM Reply

Oh dear, I think my submission is a bit over... 28 minutes, 17 seconds.

I'm just kidding, I can do whatever I want because I'm a judge.
I'm just kidding, I'm not entering the contest because I'm a judge.
I'm just kidding, I'm really looking forward to all of your entries.
Wow, it's like 'Inception' in here.
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 1st, 2012 @ 12:00 AM Reply

The month of January is over, and now February has now come!

You now have little over TWO WEEKS to finish and submit your songs.

The last days songs will be accepted will be Wednesday, February the 15th!

blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 10:43 AM Reply

Bump, want to make sure anyone who hasn't seen this contest by now has a chance to enter. There's still about 10 days to go, enough time to make a good song and submit.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 10:46 AM Reply

May as well do a progress report.

3 minutes and 8 seconds in. I've just got to find a way to transition to the ending climax, do the ending climax and then perhaps a piano solo at the end.

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 10:58 AM Reply

At 2/4/12 10:46 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: May as well do a progress report.

3 minutes and 8 seconds in. I've just got to find a way to transition to the ending climax, do the ending climax and then perhaps a piano solo at the end.

Tried using cymbal or bass drum rolls with a crescendo? Those always make great transitions... or runs on strings or flute or some Wagner-style dissonant chord leading upwards into the final chord.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 11:32 AM Reply

At 2/4/12 10:46 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: May as well do a progress report.

lol. 3:06 here. I've just transitioned my main transition. Looking forward to hearing yours!

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 11:37 AM Reply

At 2/4/12 10:58 AM, samulis wrote: Tried using cymbal or bass drum rolls with a crescendo? Those always make great transitions... or runs on strings or flute or some Wagner-style dissonant chord leading upwards into the final chord.

Haha, I already used pretty much all those transitions in the song :P. Well except instead of bass drum rolls I used timpani rolls.

My problem is moving from 3/4 to 4/4. I'm probably going to try an experiment where I play a note every beat in 3/4, and speed it up until they sound really quick, and then change to 4/4 and the sped up notes will sound like triplets, all the while building up to the climax. Sorry I'm crap at explaining! I don't know if it'll work since I never tried something like that before, but it's worth a shot!

Man, I seriously hope I'll make it on time.

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 12:12 PM Reply

At 2/4/12 11:37 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Man, I seriously hope I'll make it on time.

I'm sure you will ;)

BBS Signature
dem0lecule
dem0lecule
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 12:39 PM Reply

I gunna submit my entry at 11:50 15th night...

I don't think I'm going to do anything epic. >.<

Good luck people!

What comes around goes around...

BBS Signature
Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 01:32 PM Reply

At 2/4/12 11:37 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: My problem is moving from 3/4 to 4/4. I'm probably going to try an experiment where I play a note every beat in 3/4, and speed it up until they sound really quick, and then change to 4/4 and the sped up notes will sound like triplets, all the while building up to the climax.

That sounds like it could work quite well.

Another thing you could try is the Beethovian descending figure. (If you don't know what I'm talking about -- watch this video, and skip to 4:02.)

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 4th, 2012 @ 06:56 PM Reply

Well, I've added another 8 bars of 3/4, now I've definitely got to start with that transition...

At 2/4/12 01:32 PM, RampantMusik wrote: That sounds like it could work quite well.

Another thing you could try is the Beethovian descending figure. (If you don't know what I'm talking about -- watch this video, and skip to 4:02.)

Wow that's a really cool technique. I don't think it'll fit with the song I have right now, but I'm definitely keeping it in mind for future tracks.

I'll try the triplet idea and if not I'll just play it safe and go for a more generic transition.

BBS Signature
PeterSatera
PeterSatera
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 5th, 2012 @ 07:51 AM Reply

Brokendeck question here!

The Rules state that tracks should not go over the 5mins, and ones that do should be reviewed case by case. I thought I had finished last night but this morning im not so sure. I'm actually pretty much dead on the 5mins right now, however it feels like it just suddenly stops. I could do with an outro of about 30 seconds just to pull as back down to a softer conclusion.

I was wondering your, the judges, and actually other participants feelings on this.

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 5th, 2012 @ 02:37 PM Reply

By the way, I was wondering. I know it's against the rules to submit collabs to this competition, but it's still OK to improve the song based on criticism right? I mean I got feedback from my friends at school, and MANY people on MSN. None have edited my song or anything, but I still followed their tips and criticism so in a way they contributed to the track. Is this still OK?

Also, just a thought. If the redesign comes out with collaborative linking for audio, will collabs be allowed for this contest?

BBS Signature
NickPerrin
NickPerrin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Mac12 - Jan/feb Discussion Feb. 5th, 2012 @ 06:51 PM Reply

Oh shite! How did I miss that "5 minutes only" part?

I'm working on a track currently that is already at the 5 minute mark, and still needs another minute or two to complete the arc of the musical idea...

Ah well, guess I'll finish the track to its full conceptual length, then cut an "abridged" version just for the contest - with the full thing also available for comparison of course.