00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Was I Quoted?

7,535 Views | 48 Replies

Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 02:13:36

For the past few months I've been toying with the idea of a notification system for the NG community. Unfortunately it took a 7 hour layover to make it happen.

Being the lazy person I am, I like making computers do things for me. So instead of manually going through my posts on a daily basis, I'd like a computer to do it for me. I was planning on having the entire project completed before presenting, but I thought that I would see how it played with you guys first.

Before you try it out, please do me the favor in reading the following:

At this point this project is only about 50% complete. There are a lot of things that I want to be added, and need to be added in order to call this a success.

TO BE ADDED ... this week
1.) Instead of fetching your last 10 posts, the dashboard will pick up from where you left off (so if you've made X posts since your last visit, display those)
2.) The dashboard will archive your old posts, and check for updates.
3.) Registration will most-likely change.
4.) Password retrieval will be added, along user preferences.
5.) Option to retrieve nested quotes.

Because this is in alpha stage, keep in mind that there most-likely are various bugs. I haven't had the chance to test too thoroughly yet and there may also be browser-compatibility issues.

Side note: If your browser does not support javascript or if you're using an old version of IE, download a new browser. It's 2011 guys, get with the program.

So anyway, please check it out and tell me what you think. If you see any bugs, or have any ideas... Throw em at me! I'd like to get this thing rolling by 2012~

Was I Quoted: Alpha

Emote mod. Contact me for emote moderation.

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 02:18:51

At 12/9/11 02:16 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Cool. Who posts for a reason other than they hope to be quoted?

No one does.

SteamID: Fetus

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 02:22:41

I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it's an incredibly narcissistic action and you really shouldn't be worrying that anyone quotes you, ever. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to tell you that after you actually put work into this.

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 02:23:11

At 12/9/11 02:16 AM, Sensationalism wrote: Cool. Who posts for a reason other than they hope to be quoted?

Oh fame.

But I forgot to mention how registration works, because right now it's a bit funky...

When you type in your name the system will find you and print out an authentication code. From there, copy it and open up a new tab. Edit your profile and put the key into your bio. Anywhere (you don't have to remove what's already in there).

Save and go back to the tab, hit "i'm done" and it will verify you.

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 02:26:55

At 12/9/11 02:22 AM, Lintire wrote: I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it's an incredibly narcissistic action and you really shouldn't be worrying that anyone quotes you, ever. On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to tell you that after you actually put work into this.

I suppose the name of the project is a bit off-putting. The goal isn't in light of narcissism, its more of like a notification tool.

If I'm posting in a thread and someone has quoted me, they're responding to my post right? They're talking to me. So instead of going through a forum topic and seeing if someone has responded to your post, this tool does it for you. So right now I'm responding to your message by quoting you.

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 02:32:24

The way I post is more of an in the moment free flowing discussion type thing, like a forum not a BBS, I think most people use it like this. It'd be cool if you could get the code to add an image to the left of a thread you've posted in telling you someone referenced your post right on the thread display screen.

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 02:35:46

I always wondered why they didn't have this before. Wonderful idea.

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 02:52:19

At 12/9/11 02:23 AM, Gateau wrote: Edit your profile and put the key into your bio. Anywhere (you don't have to remove what's already in there).

Save and go back to the tab, hit "i'm done" and it will verify you.

Can we take it out after we're done with that?

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 03:13:04

At 12/9/11 02:35 AM, NeutralObjections wrote: I always wondered why they didn't have this before. Wonderful idea.

Thanks! Hopefully more people will think so and this work won't have gone to waste ._.

At 12/9/11 02:52 AM, Squidbit wrote: Can we take it out after we're done with that?

I've actually nuked the whole registration for now. You can simply go to the page and type in your Username to see if anyone has replied to you.

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 03:21:11

this sounds like a great idea to me, i always wanted to know if i ever got quoted or not so i can see if i need to reply to their post

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 08:19:00

That's awesome, I've been hoping for something like this for a long time! It's really handy to be able to see when somebody has replied to you, not for narcissistic purposes, but to know to reply to them.

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 11:54:16

At 12/9/11 11:52 AM, FBIpolux wrote: I love not quoting when responding. It makes the person I respond to so confused.

Oh but I know you're replying to me.

If you're a Newgrounds OG who appreciates Flash games with depth, check out the game I made in 2024.

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 12:09:14

It's ok, I guess.

THIS IS SO COOL!

Was I Quoted?

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 13:26:13

This is a brilliant idea!

So how does it work exactly? Does it check to see if any parts of the post in question are found in other posts of the thread, or does it fetch the date that the post was made and checks to see if that date can be found in any other posts?

So like if at 12/9/11 01:06 PM, in Thread 1 I wrote "Hello world!" would it look for instances of "Hello world!" or would it look for instances of "At 12/9/11 01:06 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:" in other posts? Or does it work completely differently?

Just curious :3. Anyway, really nice work with it, I haven't found any bugs yet!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 13:47:08

At 12/9/11 02:35 AM, NeutralObjections wrote: I always wondered why they didn't have this before. Wonderful idea.

Well... For me it is awesoke as it is. Is it awesome to know that someone quoted you? Believe me, notifications can ba a real PITA.

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 14:45:47

Wade doesn't fuck a give.

Tick Tock

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 14:56:13

At 12/9/11 01:26 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:
So how does it work exactly? Does it check to see if any parts of the post in question are found in other posts of the thread, or does it fetch the date that the post was made and checks to see if that date can be found in any other posts?

Actually, I was curious about this as well. How does this system work?

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 15:01:26

At 12/9/11 01:26 PM, Supersteph54 wrote: So like if at 12/9/11 01:06 PM, in Thread 1 I wrote "Hello world!" would it look for instances of "Hello world!" or would it look for instances of "At 12/9/11 01:06 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:" in other posts? Or does it work completely differently?

I've gone with matching the timestamp associated with the name in the quote, so you're right. Since the BBS software won't let you post two times within one minute, and as time is always an original variable; it seemed like the most viable option.

If quotestamps incorporated a unique ID or referenced a post ID it would've been more logical - but this way works just as well.

Just curious :3. Anyway, really nice work with it, I haven't found any bugs yet!

Thanks a lot!

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 16:10:37

At 12/9/11 03:01 PM, Gateau wrote: I've gone with matching the timestamp associated with the name in the quote, so you're right. Since the BBS software won't let you post two times within one minute, and as time is always an original variable; it seemed like the most viable option.

Cool!

I also ironically found out about your reply by using the notifier. That is beyond awesome.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 18:58:51

Pretty cool. I'm going to use it a lot.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it

Team Fortress 2 club

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 19:12:54

At 12/9/11 02:22 AM, Lintire wrote: On one hand, it's an incredibly narcissistic action
At 12/9/11 02:26 AM, Gateau wrote: The goal isn't in light of narcissism, its more of like a notification tool.
At 12/9/11 08:19 AM, Dromedary wrote: It's really handy to be able to see when somebody has replied to you, not for narcissistic purposes

All this talk about narcissism is delicious.

But no, this is a fantastic idea, and highly convenient

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 20:29:13

This is a pretty cool thing. I love seeing widgets for newgrounds.

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-09 21:37:06

This is pretty cool. It's a great idea, and I'd really like something similar to be implemented into the actual site.

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-10 05:42:50

Bug report.

If you check this page it says that my first post in "Your Aura is..." has 0 quotes when it has like 4 quotes.

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-10 07:04:31

Yeah, I would love a notification system. It would be very effective for debate management.

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-10 07:45:42

That's pretty awesome. Good work!

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-10 09:47:54

I might wait to use this once more bugs get worked out among other things ^.^

Great idea BTW I love being the little attention whore that I am.

My Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/fuzzum1 11

If you get a ban, it was totally worth it. 10/10, I love you. -Skaren

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-10 10:31:19

hey thats pretty cool

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-10 19:37:39

At 12/10/11 05:42 AM, Supersteph54 wrote: Bug report.

If you check this page it says that my first post in "Your Aura is..." has 0 quotes when it has like 4 quotes.

You're absolutely right!

I had an issue with my date parsing/stripping/building, and it was only happening on posts with a timestamp of 10 digits or greater (say 12/10/11 10:10 PM, stripped down to 1210111010PM).

Fixed now, thanks much for the heads up!

BBS Signature

Response to Was I Quoted? 2011-12-17 18:28:07

I'm finding myself using this a lot, it's pretty awesome.
I didn't realize how often I get quoted and never realized it. When I post stuff right before I go to sleep, I never think to check the thread again the next day. Or if I start playing a game or get distracted by some other site or something.

Is there ever going to be a more complete list of posts and their quotes?