00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

HugeNate just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What happened to cartoons?

2,435 Views | 41 Replies

What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 20:42:28

Is it just me, or are today's cartoons... lacking some quality from the older ones? I wish they had a higher quality like in Disney and Warner Bro. cartoons. Plus, they don't get to talk about current events and sneak in sexual innuendos.

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 20:45:29

I miss my 90's Nickelodian shows......even though my parents wouldn't let me watch Ren and Stimpy, I would watch it anyways.

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 20:52:24

I still enjoy all my childhood favorites. Just like as I was a kid, there were a lot of cartoons I didn't like, so I didn't watch them. It's about selection. I like some of the newer stuff, but I also dislike a bunch of it. I will admit that cartoon network's cartoons are getting a bit edgy though. Even though I love it to death, Regular Show is a perfect example of that.

Exploding genitalia

"Get buttfucked in the mouth." | "Dammit, let me spread my anger, breed my hate!"

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 20:59:56

At 11/28/11 08:52 PM, Wagggs wrote: I still enjoy all my childhood favorites. Just like as I was a kid, there were a lot of cartoons I didn't like, so I didn't watch them. It's about selection. I like some of the newer stuff, but I also dislike a bunch of it. I will admit that cartoon network's cartoons are getting a bit edgy though. Even though I love it to death,

I thought cartoon network already had some edgy stuff during the nineties,Ofcourse that was two decades ago ,I stopped watching shows on that channel after Courage The cowardly dog was cancelled... Pretty sure Billy & Mandy too.

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 21:03:19

I wish they would bring back Tiny Toon Adventures...

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 21:12:55

Megas XLR was the last good cartoon, period. Absolutely nothing that's aired since comes even close.

Miracles happen.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 21:13:05

At 11/28/11 08:47 PM, MiloBased wrote: Have you seen a cartoon on cartoon network? They don't sneak em in because they blatantly put it out there.

This. Quote from a weird ass Adventure Time song: "all our favorite foods are totally dead, they cannot procreate in little food beds."
That's a little blatant I'd say lol.

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 21:38:34

They got stupid thats what happened

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 22:04:08

cartoon network shat out there creativity years ago ((this also goes for alot of cartoonist))

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 22:06:21

At 11/28/11 08:45 PM, Zippy-MyMusic wrote: I miss my 90's Nickelodian shows......even though my parents wouldn't let me watch Ren and Stimpy, I would watch it anyways.

You do know they have a '90s thing on TeenNick, right? Had it going for a few months now.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 23:28:18

Standards are becoming lower. Cartoon Network, especially, is going down the shitter. The only show I watch on it now is Courage The Cowardly Dog, and that's a re-run. All the new shows reflect today's young generation; degenerates.

Looney Tunes will forever be the greatest cartoon ever.

This is my signature. It is a nice signature.

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 23:43:11

FYI, Disney was not the big giant corporation they are today until the release of 101 Dalmatians, which, quality wise, was a very shitty film.(not even Walt liked it, but the sales didn't lie, people, for some reason or another, liked it) It was less musical, which for me is a plus, but artistically, and animation wise, it was quite terrible. However, it was one of the most successful Disney films.

Before Dalmatians was released, Disney did all of it's cartoons on glass plates with paint. Everything was painstakingly created by dedicated artists, who really weren't trying to make cartoons, they were attempting to create art. They wanted to be taken seriously. Unfortunately, people see cartoons as cartoons, regardless of the quality of artwork.

Then came along the photocopy machine, where you could scan images, and print them out. Dalmatians was the first Disney film to do this. The background was painted, and the characters were drawn on paper, photocopied, and then color was added digitally.

Anyway, the reason art in cartoons sucks these days is because now cartoons truly ARE marketed mostly to children. Kids don't care about art, they just want a bunch of loud, and interesting things to happen in a cartoon.

Compare Pinnocio, which has cigar smoking, alcohol consumption, and him getting sold into slavery, to say, a cartoon these days which wouldn't even get produced if it contained any of these references. Cartoons back in the day were more made for adults than children. They worked, because adults would appreciate the references, jokes, and art, and kids were too young to understand.(tobacco and alcohol weren't as taboo as they are now, too)

Another thing to consider is money. Why spend X amount of money, when either way you're gonna make Y amount of cash?

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 23:45:29

This is of coarse excluding adult cartoons today like Beavis and Butthead, Family Guy, and South Park. So, the main reason overall seems to be cost. You can still make a great tv show, with shabby art, and have it be profitable, without having to pay an experienced artist. It's all about the benjamins.

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 23:51:41

Hey guys everything that I'm not nostalgic over and that I'm not the fucking target audience of sucks!

THE CARTOONS OF MY GENERATION ARE THE BEST AND FUCK EVERYTHING ELSE

Last.fm

Why the fuck did I like these forums again

CLICK SIGNATURE FOR DIFFERENT SONGS EACH WEEK

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-28 23:55:42

I wish the cartoons stills had their humor, otherwise I'd watch cartoons more often.

The Lonely Island = Best. Band. EBARR!!!

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-29 00:03:19

the quality of shows have deteriorated, both in style in humor.

THIS WORLD IS MADE OF LOVE AND PEACE!

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-29 00:06:57

my sister caught my dad watching regulear show and btw i hate cartoons nowadys because theve become just plain badly scripted and videogames are much better like this Mardek RPGS(flash game) diolog(its funny and sarcastic)>Adventure times diolog(Their trying WAY too hard or not at all)

Hi

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-29 00:09:05

Just like music, cartoons and television in general started to go down the shitter around 2005. Coincidence that it was the same year that George W. Bush got reelected president.

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-29 00:11:51

Some of you guys shitting on the new shit have links of My Little Pony clubs and sigs out of the show.
Because those are such retro cartoons, right?

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-29 00:15:17

At 11/29/11 12:11 AM, EvilerBowser1001 wrote: Some of you guys shitting on the new shit have links of My Little Pony clubs and sigs out of the show.
Because those are such retro cartoons, right?

Maybe MLP: FIM reminds us of cartoons we watched when we were kids? Did you ever consider that?

Also, Digimon is best anime

Twitter | Deviant Art | Steam | Gamertag: Eddmario

Official MLP: FIM crew. | Sig by Ryan

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-29 00:20:04

At 11/29/11 12:15 AM, Eddmario wrote:
Maybe MLP: FIM reminds us of cartoons we watched when we were kids? Did you ever consider that?

Perhaps if you start generalizing against something, perhaps you shouldn't like something that's part of the thing that you claim to hate?

You're still enjoying something that's primarily aimed at little girls.
Yes, it is also made so that parents and other relatives watching can enjoy it as well, but it's still a show aimed towards a different group.

YOU are not their primary demographic anymore.
I don't have much of an opinion about "modern" cartoons because I don't usually watch them. Because I'm not a child anymore. Not that I don't have some products aimed at children I enjoy, but it's not like I waste time bitching about shit I don't like that isn't even aimed at me.

Also, Digimon is best anime

You better be kidding.

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-29 00:43:59

Censorship, among other things such as lack of creativity and no love for your work definitely come into play.

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-29 00:46:50

At 11/29/11 12:43 AM, SlickExecutive wrote: Censorship, among other things such as lack of creativity and no love for your work definitely come into play.

Censorship can be overcome, screwed over, skirted, and have all sorts slipped in under the radar.
And really, sometimes it's good to be fairly detached from your work.

If you're too close to a work, you can't see if it's bad or not because it's your baby.
If you can step back...you can see what's up with it.

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-30 14:52:46

And they still refuse to reair Tiny Toon Adventures on Boomerang or anything. That why we have a petition to revive it: http://www.petitiononline.com/TinyToon/p etition.html

If there are any other Tiny Toon Adventures fans here, please sign it!

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-30 14:54:42

CARTOONS AREN'T LIKE THEY WERE WHEN I WAS A KID! KIDS THESE DAYS DON'T KNOW WHAT CARTOONS ARE REALLY ABOUT! I'M NOSTALGIA FAG! I'M NOSTALGIA FAG! AND I GOT NOSTALGIA SAND IN MY NOSTALGIA VAG!

Seriously just shut up. Teen Nick does the 90's with Nick thing at Midnight so go there.

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-30 15:19:05

At 11/30/11 02:54 PM, The-Great-One wrote:
Seriously just shut up. Teen Nick does the 90's with Nick thing at Midnight so go there.

Except they don't reair the best ones like Tiny oon Adventures and Animaniacs...

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-30 16:23:43

At 11/30/11 03:19 PM, Henchman1028 wrote: Except they don't reair the best ones like Tiny oon Adventures and Animaniacs...

Those were never originally Nicktoons though. Those were Warner Bros. cartoons. Nickelodeon picked them up later on though.

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-30 16:39:34

I personally find the humor of the new cartoons to be rather terrible. Cartoons screaming about stupid shit and the like. Maybe some aren't like that, but the horribleness of some of them made me turn away from Cartoon Network and fear ever going back. Chowder, for instance, was just dreadful.

Not to mention the character design of some of them, like Chowder or Adventure Time. I personally find the art and character bad. But hey, just me.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-30 16:42:12

At 11/30/11 03:21 PM, SnakeSkull wrote:
No shame in saying it if it is the truth, comrade.

Hey Arnold, for life!

You do realize I was being sarcastic right

...right?

...I mean everyone...doesn't everyone realize my facetiousness in that remark?

I mean, I love 90s cartoons myself but they're not fucking perfect, jesus christ.

Last.fm

BBS Signature

Response to What happened to cartoons? 2011-11-30 17:07:38

Yeah cartoons have become pretty average nowadays but I must say Adventure Time is pretty fucking good.

“Courage is not having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have the strength.”

He's back :3