00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thais1324 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Imperfect

1,201 Views | 18 Replies

Imperfect 2011-11-01 16:57:16

Is perfection attainable?

I would argue that in one way and only one way can perfection be achieved; numbers. Mathematics is the only true universal. Pi is Pi no matter what language you speak, no matter what god you worship, no matter where you live, no matter what number system you use; Pi is Pi.

It is arbitrary that the number system we use today is a base ten number system, but that's what we use.

Representing perfection in a decimal, or base ten, system is easy; 100%. 100 is a beautiful, round number, it doesn't make much sense in a unary or in a sexagesimal number system, but in decimal... ahh... it is a thing of beauty indeed! 10 x 10; perfect!

One less than 100 is 99.
99 is an imperfect number, it is less than 100, it is incomplete.

Humans are not numbers, in fact we owe our very existence to being imperfect, for it is all those little mutations--imperfections, that have ensured our survival as a species. We are incredibly flexible as a species; we adapt, we change to our environment, to our situation. Humans are imperfect and we are better for it.

Should we strive to be perfect? I say no! I say we strive for 99, for something that is attainable, for something real and tangible, not for some ideal we have that we will never reach. We will never be perfect but we can be less than perfect, we can be 99.

What I want to say here and now is that I am imperfect and you can too! <3

Imperfect

This sig is 100% effective protection from all hexes, curses, evil spirits and bad karma. Guaranteed.

BBS Signature

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:00:08

I love the way your post count is 9,999

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:01:26

Define "imperfection" and "flaw."

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:02:27

I DEFINITELY think you made this post to parody your post count :)

Also, Inb4HannahMontanaSong

BBS Signature

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:02:34

Everyone's idea of 'perfect' is different. Ergo, perfection as a collective, standardised ideal does not, and cannot exist. Striving for it in the eyes of anyone but yourself is pointless.

(And Hexadecimal is totally better. :P )

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:04:37

Perfect is achieveable if you define flaws in a sensible manner that would not assign too many to a certain state or procedure.

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:05:28

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:05:49

Too bad you based your ideas on evolution, which has been widely disproved by the general public. Perfection has walked the earth, but it is still unattainable by mortal standards.

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:06:41

Alright here's some true real facts about Kraig that he will confirm simply by being silent.

- At the age of 6 Kraig ate a hamburger patty that fell in the grass at his parent's BBQ. It had ants on it.

- In high school, he proudly wore Erasure and Flock of Seagulls t-shirts. He was beaten up only once by a kid wearing a Motley Crue tank top.

- Kraig's favorite hair style is the mullet. He has it and so does his wife.

- His dad was so ashamed of his poor SAT scores that he refused to buy him any Barbie dolls for Christmas that year.

- The first time Kraig had sex, he couldn't come because the dog ran away.

BBS Signature

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:25:39

At 11/1/11 04:57 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: What I want to say here and now is that I am imperfect and you can too! <3

You're a solid 9.9 in my book! <3

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:29:00

is attainable attainable ????

https://generated.inspirobot.me/a/qlPBXrQme5.jpg

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 17:31:43

Kraig has 99 problems, but a bitch ain't one.

... cos they're repulsed by his puke-covered beard.

don't reply if you agree with me, Kraig.

BBS Signature

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 18:18:23

Reading this thread I was reminded of the cricketer Bryan 'Bomber' Wells who retired when he thought he had 999 wickets, because as he pointed out 'lots of people will get 1000 wickets, I'll be the only one who gets 999'

He actually had 998 which kind of goes with your theme that nobody's perfect

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-01 18:23:16

At 11/1/11 06:19 PM, Xenomit wrote: If only this had been your 10,000 post

so close!

He's saving that for the "Perfection" speech.

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-02 06:14:54

Such wise words.. bless you Kraig :3

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-02 08:15:50

perfection is not attainable in our current realm (created by the god of the hebrews)

true perfection can only be known of and is revealed through the mysteries and negating of material desires

the hylic humans will never realize their foolishness and will simply continue their imperfect cycle of rebirth

dal lunge ci mira

di giove l'ira, e in un baleno va all'eghe in seno, da regal sede

tosto provvede, fa i generosi destrier squammosi ratto accoppiar

BBS Signature

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-02 08:23:57

Perfection Is probally one of those things that do not exist in my world though there are many ideals behind it ... In corruption wither it be from mentality or physicality we strive to get stronger from it.

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-02 08:30:39

what do you mean by 'perfection'?

in the ancient times, geometrical objects which display symmetries are considered perfect. for instance, the greeks used to think that stellar objects such as planets and stars are spherical in shape because heavenly objects must be perfect.

in this sense, it is impossible to achieve absolute perfection because there are bound to be flaws. suppose i pick an arbitary real number from the interval [0, 100]. the chance of picking an irrational number is EXACTLY 100% because the set of rational numbers has lebesgue measure 0. (i.e. 0 length).

i can think of another way of defining perfection. anything that cannot be improved is perfect. but i can certainly give you an example to show it is impossible in some case. take a peice of music for example. different people have different tastes. it is not possible to please everyone due to the subjective nature and thus achiving perfection is impossible too. the quailty of the music is not a concept that can be quatitified.

Latest TCs

I mainly focus on WPac and NATL basin.

Response to Imperfect 2011-11-02 10:57:09

At 11/1/11 04:57 PM, BlackmarketKraig wrote: Is perfection attainable.

No. Even the greatest can always grow. We are all in a state of defeat. There are much highest places we may reach.
To attain perfection means to meet a dead end. We would be without room for growth, expansion, conquest, or innovation.
Perfection is despair.
Perfection is destruction.
Perfection is death.