00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Almost-Ichabod just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab:

20,380 Views | 164 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-11-02 13:06:43

aww man, I was right in the middle of mine too! ...POO!!! lol

I blame Luwano!!! ;P

Hope things are going ok, or at least better for you JKA!!

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-11-02 13:14:44

Awww krud, ah well, I took too much of my sweet time trying to improve to wip up something great for the collab :{<..... Well good luck with ur issues :o

BBS Signature

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-11-02 15:01:31

At 11/2/11 01:06 PM, Nae wrote: aww man, I was right in the middle of mine too! ...POO!!! lol
I blame Luwano!!! ;P
Hope things are going ok, or at least better for you JKA!!

Oh yeah, I am to blame for confusing Nae about the deadline, sorry. Maybe you two can sort something out in a pm huh? :P

Either way thanks for hosting these collabs JKA they were great and I bet this one will be, too. Even though the art forum is kinda slow this year and there are not so many submissions. Good luck with it!

BBS Signature

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-11-06 15:31:50

I'm amazed more work didn't come through, ndc is really a great way to get work seen by people who don't usually browse the art portal. For those of you who submitted, thank you, and to those who haven't finished but wanted to submit please read the following.

As an illustrator about 80 percent of my professional clients have given me rushed deadlines. Just a about a decade ago this would never be tolerated because a majority of artists were still working traditionally and between dry times and the care that must be used when you cannot alter layers or use the ctrl alt delete function (I have actually reached for the keys when making a mistake on an oil painting) it makes the process a whole lot lengthier. I have known modern illustrators and concept artists who could create that same image digitally in less time then it takes to finish their morning cup of coffee. Because of this, clients have come to expect that all artists are equally proficient causing shorter and shorter deadlines. Personally, it takes me roughly 5-10 hours to complete a quality work so how I compete? Simple, I alot the same time I would be expected to work daily on any other non art job, a full 9 hour day with lunch and 2 breaks. Art is my proffesion and I treat it that way. Still I often here from clients who complain that other artists bids were far to lengthy, sometimes as much as a month or more time till completion. Now many artists have excuses for this that very from creativity blocks to having a full time job or school get in the way, and even the occasional living at home with only a short daily allowance for computer usage. Keep in mind that these are all un acceptable to any client or boss. artist block has a million and one ways around including many exercises that are easy and free, a full time job is only about 40 hours leaving at minimum 24 work hours to choose from on your time off, and believe it or not, when I was young my computer time was limited, I made it known to my parents that I was only on to work and after a few short sessions proved the value of my time, and when I was off I made the best use of my time by sketching details I wanted to add and figuring out compositions before hand to speed up my productivity while I was on.

If you find the above insulting, that's only a natural rection. It is a wake up call if you want art to really be a part of who you are it will most likely hit home and for many artists it can be too much, but I promise its what the real world expects from us. Dedication in every little thing we do.

Thank you all again for participating I look forward to seeing how we rated this year

BBS Signature

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-11-06 16:07:05

At 11/6/11 03:31 PM, Artist-Lost wrote: I'm amazed more work didn't come through, ndc is really a great way to get work seen by people who don't usually browse the art portal. For those of you who submitted, thank you, and to those who haven't finished but wanted to submit please read the following.
Lengthy account of how art takes time and dedication, and how clients are not gonna except excuses when you are late.

True as that may be, I really don't think it relates to this situation; at least not for most poeple.
A) Sure this is a good way to get some exposure, but there are a lot of other collabs and contests here on newgrounds that can get you exposure as an artist.
B) Many of us (including me) are not aspiring to be(come) professional artists, making art is a hobby, a way to let off steam.
C) Not submitting something while you would have wanted to doesn't mean you missed your deadline; perhaps you didn't do it because you also wanted to do something else and you only have a limited amount of time in a day.

I didn't submit anymore stuff because while this was running, I've been busy running, compiling and submitting my own collab and participating in an art contest (among others); both here in the ng forum, both good ways to get exposure (and make some money too).
I might have misinterpreted your post as arrogance about the ndc, but it's not the only bar in town.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-11-06 16:14:41

At 11/6/11 03:31 PM, Artist-Lost wrote: blah blah blah

If you were trying to make people feel bad or guilty, I think you failed... 'cuz this isn't a job, it's a fun activity that most people here do in their spare time. If we were getting paid, I imagine the art and participation level would have turned out MUCH differently.

Personally, I'm just sad that I won't be in this one since I've participated in all the past ndc's, but, OH WELL, life goes on :)

"Why do you hide, stupid aliens? Mr. Zurkon only wishes for to kill you."

BBS Signature

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-11-06 20:04:31

I believe I may have been miss-understood. My previous statement was not meant to guilt anyone, and if the situation does not apply then feel free to disregard, I haven't accused anyone it was simply my final bit of advice for this thread, a critique if you will. Those who find it offensive may find that pointing out their own shortcomings even if unrecognized can seem offensive. As an artist even unprofessional you will find that you will be subject to both brutally honest critiques and simple praise, while one provides a framework of possible improvement, the other builds ego. In a country were non competitive activities on our young I find that all we are doing is ego building while sacrificing actual growth. That is why I critique.

For those who are just doing this as a hobby, the statement still can apply in the sense that my role in this collab is to help artists improve. Spending more time is the most viable way to improve on anything be it art or what ever you aspire

BBS Signature

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-11-11 17:41:45

Location - Dublin, Ireland.
Age - 17.
Gender - Male.
Fun fact - facts aren't fun.

DUMP

Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab:

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-11-11 18:17:50

At 11/11/11 05:41 PM, flashero wrote: Location - Dublin, Ireland.
Age - 17.
Gender - Male.
Fun fact - facts aren't fun.

DUMP

sorry bro, he closed the Collab entries

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-11-11 20:46:18

ATTENTION: For those who had started a piece before the collab deadline, you can still submit your piece via private message (PM). A lot is going on personally that has interrupted me hosting collabs and continuing what I love most. But, you gotta do what you gotta do, right?

I started this collab for one main purpose and nothing more, to showcase artists work in a flash digital gallery. I do not make collabs for profit nor do I condemn that fact. I make and host collabs to showcase artists work. To show what the NG community has to offer and show what us as 'unknown' artists (in the truest sense) have to offer.

I still plan on making collabs and hosting more events like this but, for now my current position constricts me from doing animations, being more active and innovation on NG. I hope, soon, I can continue what I started.
I just want to thank everyone for the support in this, you are the ones who has made this collab what it is today ~JKA

NDC: 2011 ~ Twitter ~ Artwork ~ ©JKA

BBS Signature

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2011-12-07 08:13:39

So is this dead?

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2012-01-14 08:02:09

C'mon JKA say something!

BBS Signature

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2012-01-18 22:33:37

Sorry all. I haven't been all too active on Newgrounds lately... There is a lot going on in my personal life lately and things are getting a little crazy (I'm not going to go into any detail with that though).
To answer your question... No, it's not dead and won't be.

The collab is still in the works and will be released... I cant give an exact date but I promise you all it will get released (I wouldn't just leave on my own project).

I will try and update you all much more than I have been but I just have to sort a few things out and get everything a little more organised. Thank you all for being so patient... This thing will be done and released, don't worry about that :)

NDC: 2011 ~ Twitter ~ Artwork ~ ©JKA

BBS Signature

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2012-03-08 22:04:43

lol I forgot about this, I should start working on my stuff

Response to Ndc: 2011 - Art Collab: 2012-04-25 20:01:43

At 3/8/12 10:04 PM, Osuka wrote: lol I forgot about this, I should start working on my stuff

sorry dude, this collab is closed