00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GingaSnappd just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Useless reveiws

2,399 Views | 45 Replies

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-04-29 01:08:34

My old reviews from 09' are pretty bad. The Audio ones in particular. I also didn't know jack shit about keyboarding. Thanks to another forum, I eventually got a good WPM/Accuracy ratio going. Took me two years, but what the hay. Anywho, my old reviews are a bad reminder of myself from back then.

Missing: My Forum sig

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-04-29 01:28:49

At 4/28/11 09:00 PM, HighWay wrote: its more of a case of TL;DR

I agree with this sentiment (if I'm interpreting what you meant correctly).

Basically I believe that a lot of users simply mark a review as useless if it exceeds about a paragraph in length (mainly because these reviewers probably have short attention spans). Another factor which contributes to this problem is that many users don't like a review that challenges a popular game or attempts to give the author some "constructive criticism", this kind of sad though because some of the best reviews challenge popular opinions of a game. It seems that most users nowadays prefer a "one-liner review" saying something along the lines of "This Is Ghey" or "Lol good Gmne". Hopefull though this trend will eventually die out if enough people make a committment to make some quality reviews.

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-04-29 01:46:59

Oh jeez I hate those epic battle fantasy games, they are so boring and uninteresting. Why they stayed at number 1 for months and months I don't know. It has a massive following.

Now I feel like zero bombing it every day but 1. that doesn't do shit and 2. The mods and users throw a hissy fit if they find out about that, or is it just when you zero bomb audio that they do that? Zero bombing audio is retarded and immature as it completely debunks the score

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-10 19:05:34

...i dont know what to say...

Hi

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-10 19:07:24

I once gave a flash a GOOD and CONSTRUCTIVE review but said there was one problem with it.
Deemed useless.

[PSN/Steam- Airbourne238]

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-10 19:10:24

But come on, so many horrible reviews out there.

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-10 19:19:25

My reviews are pure concentrated shit.

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-10 19:25:55

Angsty teenagers read the number on a review and not the lengthy justification behind it. Unless it's scored 10 on a game they love, it will probably be deemed useless by them.

I wrote a review for Gemcraft Labyrinth the other day and within minutes, it was deemed Useless. I gave it a 10, but wrote a lot of stuff about things I might change, or things I didn't like in this version. Still, they deemed it useless. Good job.

The moral of this story - don't worry about what people do with marking your reviews as useless, it's whether or not they're abusive that really matters ;)

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-10 19:27:38

BRB rating all of coops reviews useless.

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-13 23:15:40

*epic faic* this is a good day for smarty peoplez.

Hi

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-15 16:01:16

Please dont make spinoff threads when the point is made

Hi

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-15 16:27:42

Quick question while I'm in this thread; does spam count as abusive? As in one of those "Don't read this or you'll die if you don't forward this to 500 other people" chain letter spammings on a review?

I freaking hate those.

This account is now defunct and will now serve as an alt - _)-UltimateCJ64-(_

Seriously, I'm serious.

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-21 13:36:16

Hey.

At 4/28/11 10:19 PM, Jolly wrote: Another reason people often mark useful reviews as useless if because of the length of them. Several of Afro_Stud's reviews have been marked as useless, most likely because of the length, despite them being really helpful.
At 4/29/11 01:28 AM, Pride wrote: Basically I believe that a lot of users simply mark a review as useless if it exceeds about a paragraph in length (mainly because these reviewers probably have short attention spans). Another factor which contributes to this problem is that many users don't like a review that challenges a popular game or attempts to give the author some "constructive criticism", this kind of sad though because some of the best reviews challenge popular opinions of a game.

I agree 115% with these.

I'll also add (and unless I missed it, no one has mentioned this here), there are a few authors which have big, easily bruised egos, and anyone who gives a critical and fair, impartial review, despite how useful it may be, will automatically have it marked as useless. The author, instead of being humble, might get defensive, or make some b.s. excuse as to why a certain aspect was done a certain way. Not often, but I've seen it in some author responses. Other than that, it's ultimately up to the author how decides if a review is useless.

There will always be haters on NG. For those like me, and others here, who actually take the time to write a decent review, we'll just have to deal with it. Oh, and keep writing helpful reviews. ;-)

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-21 13:41:55

Because people just want to get helpful ratings and so vote "helpful" on their reviews and ask other users or alts to.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-21 13:51:36

At 4/28/11 09:40 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: Meh, I Mark anything that's lower than 5 abusive regardless of length.

Why so? If a flash lacks in every aspect , then giving it 5 points would be clearly too much, marking it abusive without reading it is actually abusive.

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to Useless reveiws 2011-05-21 13:58:19

At 5/21/11 01:51 PM, Asandir wrote:
At 4/28/11 09:40 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: Meh, I Mark anything that's lower than 5 abusive regardless of length.
Why so? If a flash lacks in every aspect , then giving it 5 points would be clearly too much, marking it abusive without reading it is actually abusive.

Because Mikey is mentally challenged.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature