00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

VolublePally just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

People don't care about melodies??

3,011 Views | 41 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

This is all my personal opinion...

I see reviews here and there where people praise people for songs that very well may have a lot of variations going on, but there's no nice melody to follow anywhere.

But it doesn't seem like people care about that anymore. When did THAT happen???

When I listen to a song, the first thing I listen for is the melody of the song. I don't really give a damn about anything else UNTIL I get to that. But, I guess I'm the only one that still thinks like that(big shocker there...:p).

Why have people moved away from that? What's so attractive and clever about adding noise to a song to achieve "variation"?

I'm just curious to know.

A tribute to the Ace Attorney Series and OST. I have so much respect for both of those, that I decided to start my own Remix series.

Here is the link to Volume 1

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 12:04:27

I don't think people care less about melodies.
I think musicians are just trying to be different. There isn't too many variations of melodies left to choose from, without sounding like something that already exists.

Nothing worse than pouring your heart and soul into song just to have people say:

"wow, ripped that melody off" or "sounds exactly like X song"...bla bla...

I don't really know the answer, but I do see what you are saying.

There are still a few that care about melody. But it is getting harder and harder to be original with melodies.

So I think the "noise" might be a way to be original?

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 12:12:26

You're too close-minded. There is more to music than melodies. There are also different rhythms, timbres, playing styles, themes, words, the property of the song sounding badass, etc, that makes up a song and makes it unique etc blablabla.

In some songs, certain aspects are more important than others and so you have songs centered around great melodies and you also have songs centered around interesting rhythms and you also have songs based on a theme or story and then you have the songs that are made purely to sound badass.

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 12:46:06

I think you misunderstood my post, SBB...

I'm not saying that what you mentioned isn't important. My whole gripe is geared toward people not giving props or caring about original melodies in songs.

Everything that you mentioned is great, too, as it's all about where the musician wants to take people. I'm all in favor of that.

All I'm saying is just it seems that no one thinks that melodies are important and are moving away from that, and I personally think that's wrong.

That's not being close minded. I listen to all kinds of genres that keep that concept.

A tribute to the Ace Attorney Series and OST. I have so much respect for both of those, that I decided to start my own Remix series.

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 13:37:38

At 2/15/11 12:12 PM, SBB wrote: You're too close-minded. There is more to music than melodies. There are also different rhythms, timbres, playing styles, themes, words, the property of the song sounding badass, etc, that makes up a song and makes it unique etc blablabla.

In some songs, certain aspects are more important than others and so you have songs centered around great melodies and you also have songs centered around interesting rhythms and you also have songs based on a theme or story and then you have the songs that are made purely to sound badass.

You are exactly right! I mean really... There cant be limitless amount of awesome melodies in the world. And you really need to listen to the song. not the melody. Then you got to focus on smaller things like melody and bass and variations etc.
Im sorry if i said something that someone said before:D

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 13:45:31

At 2/15/11 12:12 PM, SBB wrote: You're too close-minded.

Haha. Aren't we all...LOL

Melody is what makes a song memorable. It's hard to hum a tune that doesn't click in your brain.
But something with a good beat that bangs, also is good to move around to.

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 13:55:08

At 2/15/11 01:37 PM, ACINO wrote:
At 2/15/11 12:12 PM, SBB wrote: You're too close-minded. There is more to music than melodies. There are also different rhythms, timbres, playing styles, themes, words, the property of the song sounding badass, etc, that makes up a song and makes it unique etc blablabla.

You are exactly right! I mean really... There cant be limitless amount of awesome melodies in the world. And you really need to listen to the song. not the melody. Then you got to focus on smaller things like melody and bass and variations etc.
Im sorry if i said something that someone said before:D

Again, I'm alone in my opinion, which is fine. It's too early for you guys to see. I get it..

I really don't know how else to say what I'm saying...No one's saying that a song has to all be awesome melodies ALL the time.

But, what I am saying is that an awesome melody should be the backbone of the song. THEN YOU CAN ADD everything else on top of that melody to make the song even stronger.

All I'm saying is that people pay attention to everything else without grasping the base of what a song is.

If you still don't get what I'm saying, then obviously you're one of those people, so you wouldn't see what I'm talking about.

There are PLENTY of songs out there that have it all. Think of legends like Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, Nirvana, .etc. All their songs had a wonderful melody that was the base. Then all the extra breakdowns, styles, .etc made the song even more glorious.

Hell, even Biggie and Jay Z said it's all about melodies.

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 14:03:37

Everyone has different tastes when it comes to music, but everyone can like something specific of the song, For example I love song intros far more than the melody(since most melodies are found in the chorus), they are the song starters and one of the most important factors when it comes to song writing because you must define a solid presentation if you want to people continue listening to the track. Another thing that i like are the song bridges, you know that part that prepares you for the chorus , it's just amazing.

What i think people don't care in these days are the lyrics:

Popular songs have the most stupid, overused and STUPID lyrics (did i told you that they were stupid??)

"Baby i need you"

"I can't stop loving you"

"Baby"

"Tonight im fucking you (seriously??)"

" We are going down to the ground" (no shit i thought you were going down to the SKY)

ETC.

Remember pink floyd lyrics? it was like abstract poetry, what a bout the beatles? they were small stories that fitted perfectly in the song.

but oh well, let's hope we get more lyricist that change the music industries

the prevoius lyrics are owned by their respective retarded owner. Acid paradox does not encourages people to stop listening mainstream music.

Music is my passion , not my business.

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 14:08:48

I get where you're coming from man, I used to only care about the melodies. I'd spend hours at the keyboard or strumming a guitar just trying to come up with the right sounding melody because all my favorite songs had these wonderful melodies. But not every song can be a Thriller. That's why I just let a song be what it is, no matter what it is. I don't think appreciation for a good melody has disappeared, I just don't think anybody has written a damn good one in a little while.

And Acid-Paradox you are so right, lyrics in modern music SUCK. All of us could have written that garbage at the age of 3.

Always links to my most recent track :D

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 14:22:21

At 2/15/11 02:08 PM, Ekojo wrote: And Acid-Paradox you are so right, lyrics in modern music SUCK. All of us could have written that garbage at the age of 3.

LEAKED PHOTO FROM ENRIQUE IGLESIAS LYRICIST'S OFFICE (EXCLUSIVE EXCLUSIVE!!!)

" Typing"

mmmmmm to .....night........... yeah yeah...........im...........loving......
.nah.............fucking you...............

THIS IS BRILLIANT!!!!

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 14:26:42

At 2/15/11 02:08 PM, Ekojo wrote: I get where you're coming from man, I used to only care about the melodies. I'd spend hours at the keyboard or strumming a guitar just trying to come up with the right sounding melody because all my favorite songs had these wonderful melodies. But not every song can be a Thriller. That's why I just let a song be what it is, no matter what it is. I don't think appreciation for a good melody has disappeared, I just don't think anybody has written a damn good one in a little while.

And Acid-Paradox you are so right, lyrics in modern music SUCK. All of us could have written that garbage at the age of 3.

You'd be surprised...check my songs out.

I TOTALLY agree with you on the lyrics, too, Acid lol

Well, it guess it's all about the person's tastes, I guess.

This all came about because of certain reviews. I personally have to have a melody in a song, so if I hear a song without a melody, but the song is a nice song, I'll still give a positive rating, because the artist obviously wasn't going for a melody driven song. I'll instantly see that and vote positively. I woudln't even mention anything about not having a great melody. It's not fair to the artist that I bash him because he doesn't have a melody in a nice song if that's not what he was going for.

I don't receive the same favors. Some songs I may only want to focus on the melody because it's just so tight, and I don't want to take away from it too much. Not all, just some. So, if you want me to have an open mind and focus on what the song is about, I expect the same from you, is all I'm saying.

And I just noticed when I do a song like that, people don't focus on the melody, which should sustain the song. They vote based on their personal quiffs....

I hate 808 drums, but I don't give someone a low score because they used them..If the concept of the song is great, I'll grade that and not let my disgust for 808 drums influence it.

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 15:20:50

Hahahahaha Acid. I completely stopped everything I was doing cause I saw that. Too funny.

And Eppskevin, I'm glad you vote fairly and aren't one of those boneheads running around bashing others music just because it's not what's currently "cool" on this site. Just to clarify, I try and look at what a song is trying to achieve even though I'm a melody guy myself. Sometimes my melody bias kicks in and I look down on a song unfairly, I think it happens to us all.

I gotta say though, I agree with you. Nobody makes comments on melodies. Except instead of thinking of it as such a bad thing, I'm trying to think of it as a way to incorporate more, hopefully good, melodies into one song. If everything works out, the songs with great melodies and great variations on those melodies will be the ones people respect and remember.

Always links to my most recent track :D

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 16:14:16

The last time I used a textbook melody, everyone started freaking out that it sounded similar to Moonlight Sonata...

Despite it being in not only a different key and progression, but also in a different time signature.

So I stick to whatever I think sounds good now instead, if it includes a melody or not.

Audio/BBS Mod

News: Bye bye Skype - Music: Tonight Will Be The Night- Art: Kira

\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 16:47:29

I don't want to imagine what is happening below that desk.

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 17:32:50

At 2/15/11 11:18 AM, eppskevin wrote: This is all my personal opinion...

This is alone a sign that you should make this in a news post.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:

the brilliant songs who create a production for music

Wat

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 17:35:38

At 2/15/11 05:32 PM, Envy wrote:

No?

This is a forum, where people discuss things and post their opinions

it's not a place where people recite facts

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 17:37:07

At 2/15/11 05:35 PM, SBB wrote:
At 2/15/11 05:32 PM, Envy wrote:
No?

Isn't it?

Wat

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 17:42:50

At 2/15/11 05:37 PM, Envy wrote:
At 2/15/11 05:35 PM, SBB wrote:
At 2/15/11 05:32 PM, Envy wrote: This is alone a sign that you should make this in a news post.
No?

Isn't it?

nope!

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 17:55:06

I think when all OP start a thread they write something that comes from their head right? so that would mean that it is a personal opinion right, but this is a personal opinion about something that we can also give our opinion, inb4 a discussion about his personal opinion while we give our opinion of what we think about his opinion (brilliant!)

If he would made a thread of "how he lost his virginity" "or how much he rocks in COD" or " I just bought a sexy guitar" or " Im going to go to the mall right now" , i think that's more of that type of personal opinions since we can really say much about it.

We barely have some nice threads here on the audio forum, like this one, We chat about the subject , maybe some related spam so we can have some laughs but we stick to the subject.

At 2/15/11 04:47 PM, SBB wrote: I don't want to imagine what is happening below that desk.

inb4 Kid Blowjo.............. oh wait

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 18:00:59

Wouldn't let me quote Acid for some reason...

So in response to Acid's repsonse:
LOL Exactly! What he said..

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 18:06:55

At 2/15/11 05:42 PM, SBB wrote:

nope!

Nope!

or yep!??????

Wat

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 18:20:30

At 2/15/11 11:18 AM, eppskevin wrote:
But it doesn't seem like people care about that anymore. When did THAT happen???

Rash generalization, which I'd argue. But probably sometimes around the 20th century/around the time of post-tonal music began, and furthermore when electronics developed and cultures became less segregrated to each other. Which means musicians have many, many new worlds to score and work with. Significantly more than in previous centuries.

When I listen to a song, the first thing I listen for is the melody of the song. I don't really give a damn about anything else UNTIL I get to that. But, I guess I'm the only one that still thinks like that(big shocker there...:p).

I'd disagree. Melody is the usually the easiest concept to grasp and relay, especially in Western cultures.

Why have people moved away from that? What's so attractive and clever about adding noise to a song to achieve "variation"?

Because of what I said above about new worlds to explore in the last 100 years, and what SBB said

"There is more to music than melodies. There are also different rhythms, timbres, playing styles, themes, words, the property of the song sounding badass, etc, that makes up a song and makes it unique etc blablabla.

In some songs, certain aspects are more important than others and so you have songs centered around great melodies and you also have songs centered around interesting rhythms and you also have songs based on a theme or story and then you have the songs that are made purely to sound badass."

Regardless, every good melody needs to have a good rhythm (the same note value repeated over has a less chance of catching the ear than groove or more elaborate rhythm) and a good timbre (piano over chalk on a chalkboard) or otherwise, it all falls apart.

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 18:23:59

At 2/15/11 06:20 PM, S3C wrote: In some songs, certain aspects are more important than others and so you have songs centered around great melodies and you also have songs centered around interesting rhythms and you also have songs based on a theme or story and then you have the songs that are made purely to sound badass."

well said sir, well said.

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 18:28:27

At 2/15/11 06:23 PM, SBB wrote:

well said sir, well said.

Thank you. I don't remember writing it though.

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 18:37:08

At 2/15/11 06:20 PM, S3C wrote: and then you have the songs that are made purely to sound badass."

If this wasn't true, dubstep wouldn't exist.

The Main Thing is to keep the Main, Thing the Main Thing.

Latest Song: Retraktion [House/Electro] / Latest Mix: Voltaicly Uncondensed

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 19:14:06

Melodies are bogus and have been ruining good music for far too long.

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-15 19:19:32

At 2/15/11 06:20 PM, S3C wrote:
At 2/15/11 11:18 AM, eppskevin wrote:
Rash generalization, which I'd argue. But probably sometimes around the 20th century/around the time of post-tonal music began, and furthermore when electronics developed and cultures became less segregrated to each other. Which means musicians have many, many new worlds to score and work with. Significantly more than in previous centuries.

You obviously didn't read on down the thread, as I explained my meaning in more depth...

Rash, indeed...

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 05:09:27

All my techno/dance songs are centered around a melody,

I've never had anyone tell me they sound like another song, so I just assume they're original enough, if I can name a song that the melody sounds like I'll just trash the melody and restart.

Melody and lyrics are the two things I find most important in the songs I listen to, but I can like a lot of songs that lack both but are still badass.

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 11:14:38

At 2/17/11 05:09 AM, stratkat wrote: All my techno/dance songs are centered around a melody,

I've never had anyone tell me they sound like another song, so I just assume they're original enough, if I can name a song that the melody sounds like I'll just trash the melody and restart.

Melody and lyrics are the two things I find most important in the songs I listen to, but I can like a lot of songs that lack both but are still badass.

I agree. I can appreciate all types of music, and I do. I was just griping really that people seem to just be moving away from thinking of creative melodies is all.

For example Drum and Bass... I can pretty much assume there won't be many melody driven songs, because Drums and Bass isn't about that, but I still appreciate it.

BBS Signature

Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 11:27:37

Welcome to the 21st century, where production gimmicks reign.