Be a Supporter!

People don't care about melodies??

  • 1,255 Views
  • 43 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
seel
seel
  • Member since: Jun. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 11:27:37 Reply

Welcome to the 21st century, where production gimmicks reign.

Alchemist94
Alchemist94
  • Member since: Jul. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 15:00:22 Reply

As most likely said before (I didn't read the thread), there's only 12 notes in western music. There's only so many original sequences that can be made with 12 notes, and I can guarantee that most, if not all good sounding melodies have been created before, therefore music is going in a more rhythmic direction, rather than melody based because every melody has practically been used.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 15:34:10 Reply

At 2/17/11 03:00 PM, Alchemist94 wrote: I can guarantee that most, if not all good sounding melodies have been created before

horse dung!

to give an idea of how many melodies there are in this world, if you want to arrange one octave of the 12 chromatic notes into a sequence of 12 notes without repeating a note, there are 479 million ways of doing so.

If you only want to consider the traditional 7 note scales (which you of course shouldn't as there are so many different tonalities beyond just major and minor), there are 5040 ways to do the same thing with only 7 different notes (If you can have notes repeating, then you'll get a way, way higher number), and there are 792 possible different 7 note scales, if you don't take key into consideration.

Since we're only talking about arranging an tiny number of notes here, I'll leave it to you to imagine how many different melodies you can have when you allow longer sequences of notes, different octaves, phrasings, rhythms, time signatures and so on.

Xyresic
Xyresic
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 17:46:08 Reply

At 2/17/11 03:34 PM, SBB wrote: Lots 'o math.

SBB is right, and he hasn't even said anything about chord progressions or bass. An underunning bass note can change the entire sound of a note or chord, making it sound completely different.


bork bork bork

Quarl
Quarl
  • Member since: May. 30, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 18:05:20 Reply

At 2/17/11 03:34 PM, SBB wrote:
At 2/17/11 03:00 PM, Alchemist94 wrote: I can guarantee that most, if not all good sounding melodies have been created before
horse dung!

to give an idea of how many melodies there are in this world, if you want to arrange one octave of the 12 chromatic notes into a sequence of 12 notes without repeating a note, there are 479 million ways of doing so

but how many of those combinations are going to make coherent phrases and motifs that are arguably pleasing? melodies get repeated all the time especially within pop music. Just because there are millions of possible combinations doesn't mean that a fraction of them ever happen on purpose.


Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 18:23:02 Reply

All of them. In some context. If you try hard enough. Note that I didn't say anything about phrasing or motifs, was just giving an example of the number of ways to arrange some notes.

My point is, there is an absolutely humongous amount of melodies out there in the unknown to explore and to say we have somehow used up all the "good sounding" ones is in my humble opinion horse dung.

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Member since: Sep. 21, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 18:38:28 Reply

Without a good melody, I can't enjoy a song. I don't think you can rate a song entirely on its melody, since a melody is useless if you can't execute it properly, but without a melody, a song is just noise to me.

At the same time, I am really sick of people calling other people closed minded because of their preferences. If someone doesn't like chocolate, it doesn't make them closed minded, it just means the don't like chocolate. If someone doesn't like songs that don't have melodies, then they don't like songs that don't have melodies. It doesn't mean anything and you can't accuse them of being closed minded for personal preference. You can certainly tell them that you think that kind of music sucks for x and x reasons, but you can't call them closed minded or make any other absurd assumptions. Not that anyone would ever listen to me.

Chris-V2
Chris-V2
  • Member since: Aug. 23, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 19:24:30 Reply

Let's bear in mind there's different "ways" of listening to music. A melody is often the main idea but the main idea shouldn't have to always be a melody. Many melodies are rhythmic in nature with lots of repeated notes - Elanor Rigby, for instance. But it's catchy. So is the riff to Beat On The Brat or Smoke On The Water. Who on this forum couldn't immitate the drumbeat to We Will Rock You?

I listen to Mr. Scruff different to Miles Davis or Phillip Glass or The Beatles or Sonic Youth. The styles are different and their approach to themes and writing are vastly different. And if they weren't I'd probably hate music.

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Member since: Aug. 11, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 19:38:14 Reply

At 2/15/11 11:18 AM, eppskevin wrote: This is all my personal opinion...

I see reviews here and there where people praise people for songs that very well may have a lot of variations going on, but there's no nice melody to follow anywhere.

But it doesn't seem like people care about that anymore. When did THAT happen???

When I listen to a song, the first thing I listen for is the melody of the song. I don't really give a damn about anything else UNTIL I get to that. But, I guess I'm the only one that still thinks like that(big shocker there...:p).

Why have people moved away from that? What's so attractive and clever about adding noise to a song to achieve "variation"?

I'm just curious to know.

ill be as factual as i possibly can here.

Its a matter of whats generic (and generic means what is done most)
The thing that is 'fly' nowadays is rythm / club / something you can move your genitals on.

Theres plenty of people that make melodical music though but this kind of people of wich im one... do not really care about being 'fly' and 'far out' like most youngerst are nowadays sprocketing stats.

Instead all we melodical musicians care about is treading upon new melodies now and then.

I hope this answers your legit question.

greetings cal.

ps. welcome to newgrounds.


Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

Acid-Paradox
Acid-Paradox
  • Member since: Aug. 29, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 23
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-17 21:21:37 Reply

At 2/17/11 06:38 PM, Blackhole12 wrote: At the same time, I am really sick of people calling other people closed minded because of their preferences. If someone doesn't like chocolate, it doesn't make them closed minded, it just means the don't like chocolate. If someone doesn't like songs that don't have melodies, then they don't like songs that don't have melodies. It doesn't mean anything and you can't accuse them of being closed minded for personal preference. You can certainly tell them that you think that kind of music sucks for x and x reasons, but you can't call them closed minded or make any other absurd assumptions. Not that anyone would ever listen to me.

Ignore those kind of people and don't worry because in the end, they're the close minded for not letting people liking something they do not.

INCOMING WALL OF TEXT!!! (seriously i need to stop posting walls of text lol)

I remember a long time ago (i think i was 14) there was going to be a huge "band war" at my sexy school, and the day before the "show" (lol) all bands gathered at school to organize what and when are each band was going to play their song, so yeah since everyone felt like a true ROCKSTAR!!! lol they even acted like if they were famous, well the point is that everyone was going to play a rock song or METAL because they were HARDCORE KIDS even if their moms were waiting for them outside.

So i was the drummer of our band, i managed to gather a guitar, bass, and we the three of us were going to do vocals,so i got the idea that we could play a different genre to stand out among the other bands that they will be just doing power chords, etc.

So i said, hey what if we could do a Jazz song?? or maybe some samba to give that latin touch that most people in USA are not used too hear. So one of the other kids of the other bands heard me and told me:

"Shut up Ruben (that's me), those genres SUCK, nobody gives a sh!t about jazz" and everyone started laughing" and then i said "why?" and once again he responded "because they SUCK" and i said "but why do you think they suck?? Is it because it's hard for you to play?? Do you even know something about music? scales, chords, minor,mayor,7th dominant,octave..... do you know what this means? " and he said "i don't need to know that sh!t , i only play METAL and im going to be famous" and finally i said "well then if you're going to have that mentality you're not going anywhere from here, just because your daddy buys you the best music equipment that you need doesn't make you better, if you want to dedicate your life to music you need to be able to play whatever genre they ask you and if you're going to play metal well , good for you but what are you going to do if someone asks you to play something else that you don't know a thing about it?? huh?" Then i decided not to play in the "band war" because i wasn't going to compete with musicians oh no, i was going to compete with a bunch of kids that just wanted attention and they didn't care a thing about music.

So 5 years later, all those kids of all the bands are in college to be lawyers, doctors, architects, teachers,etc. all that money wasted of expensive guitars, amps, drums, etc. are now gathering dust in their closet or maybe in the garbage. I think that im the only kid that decided to make a career in music composition but don't you think that things would be better if people would let other people to like something else that they don't like, not only with music, it can be religion, politics, sports,drinks, even condom brands you know what is the word of the year??

TOLERANCE


Music is my passion , not my business.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Member since: May. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 40
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-18 01:35:29 Reply

blackhole12 if you're referring to my 'close minded' comment, I was talking about the "what's so clever about adding noise" thing. If I had a good analogy for chocolate I'd use it but I don't

Revise
Revise
  • Member since: Feb. 18, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-18 04:17:41 Reply

I disagree, a song doesn't always have to be melodic but I definitely care about my melodies and they have to be exactly right or I can't handle it and I'll scrap it completely. Just whatever my mind is set to, I have to make it sound that way; I want it to sound good and feel good.

Reaper93
Reaper93
  • Member since: Sep. 4, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-18 11:05:59 Reply

Perhaps those people who are commenting on other non-melodic aspects of the song are

A) More interested in the technical aspects of the not-melody
B) Like the beat more or something
C) Tone deaf

The list goes on :p

blackattackbitch
blackattackbitch
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 04
Musician
Response to People don't care about melodies?? 2011-02-19 21:46:53 Reply

HEY! I CARE ABOUT MELODIES! I FUCKING LOVE MELODIES!

Seriously, I've been melody-focused since I was 7, when I would hum my favorite videogame melodies to myself.

Most of the time when I write a review and the melody isn't solid, I'll make sure to mention it.

But there's more to a song than just melodies. You could have the best melody in the world, but if that's the only thing in your song has that's actually good, then your song still sucks. Take it from me, I used to write a lot of songs that sucked but had melodies that I enjoy listening to even to this day.