00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

YubaOfficial just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,060,244 Views | 77,360 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-18 23:10:25

At 4/17/14 08:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Sure beats the hell out of Curl of the Burl, as far as singles.

Yeah I gotta agree with that. And Curl of the Burl was one of my favorite songs off of The Hunter.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-19 01:08:52

At 4/18/14 11:10 PM, Viper wrote: And Curl of the Burl was one of my favorite songs off of The Hunter.

eeeh

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-19 17:32:33

At 4/19/14 01:08 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 4/18/14 11:10 PM, Viper wrote: And Curl of the Burl was one of my favorite songs off of The Hunter.
eeeh

Don't hate on it. It is very pop, but it still holds a sexy Mastodon aesthetic and I like the stoner rock feeling of the track.

Also, what are the best albums of 2014 so far?

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-20 09:56:14

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-20 21:26:31

At 4/20/14 09:56 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: So, it's both Easter and 4/20...

Now that's something!

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-20 22:58:40

Take a guess as to where I was Saturday night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X28dKDGV0X8

my gf has pics from the show but hasn't uploaded them anywhere so heres this video from the show.
At 4/20/14 09:56 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: So, it's both Easter and 4/20...

Woo Stoned Jesus! Had a convo with the band at one point and discussed the possibility of them doing a First Communion shirt.

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-23 20:58:10

At 4/20/14 10:58 PM, Viper wrote: Take a guess as to where I was Saturday night.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X28dKDGV0X8

Motherfuckin' Papa Emeritus, man! It must have been awesome :) I'm just starting to get into their stuff, and I'm really liking it so far.

Also, a lot of people compare them to King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, which is cool and stuff. But I've never managed to get in any of these two bands. They sound a little too cheesy to my ears, and even the album Melissa by MF, which is apparently their masterpiece as pretty much left me cold.

Last thing! Boris will apparently be touring in North America, and I'm extra pissed that they don't make a stop in Montreal. These guys basically never tour, and when they do they skip me! Fuck them racist asians!

<3

Metal Hell

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-23 22:01:25

At 4/23/14 08:58 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Motherfuckin' Papa Emeritus, man! It must have been awesome :) I'm just starting to get into their stuff, and I'm really liking it so far.

Yes it was! Granted I can't say I liked the band who opened for them (King Dude). I mean, I'd probably be more okay with them if I listened to them and JUST them for like a week or two. But overall they were really meh.
Other than that the only problem I had was the fact that the show was sold out and it was completely packed where I was. Resulting in me pretty much being pinned against the barricade thing that was in front of the stage. The only part of my body I could move freely was my left arm because I was standing parallel to the barricade and over the course of the show somehow managed to have my side against it. Then my gf was standing directly in front of me because some douche that was near her kept pushing her into me while he was: taking pics of them like every 10 seconds, recording the show, and shouting through the entire show. Then her cousin was behind me and some chick was next to me and at the end of the show Papa Emeritus threw out a few roses and my gf almost got one but the person next to me knocked it away from her while it was in the air.
I was pretty surprised that they played Here Comes The Sun though. And they did two encores of Year Zero and then Monstrance Clock.
Also had Papa Emeritus practically starin me down for a couple seconds.

Also, a lot of people compare them to King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, which is cool and stuff. But I've never managed to get in any of these two bands. They sound a little too cheesy to my ears, and even the album Melissa by MF, which is apparently their masterpiece as pretty much left me cold.

Hmm....you could try giving Don't Break The Oath, Them and Conspiracy (since they're both part of the same concept), or Abigail.
You should also give Blue Oyster Cult a listen if you somehow haven't done so because I've heard Ghost being compared to them as well as King Diamond and Mercyful Fate.

Last thing! Boris will apparently be touring in North America, and I'm extra pissed that they don't make a stop in Montreal. These guys basically never tour, and when they do they skip me! Fuck them racist asians!

Looked it up and the cheapest tickets for the show closest to me are like $50 per ticket! And if I don't want to go alone I'd end up having to pay $100 for two.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-24 00:16:50

I dunno how you can not love Welcome Home by King Diamond.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-24 01:13:28

Like 9 days late but....
Happy 10th Birthday Metal Hell.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-24 02:14:16

At 4/23/14 10:01 PM, Viper wrote:
At 4/23/14 08:58 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Motherfuckin' Papa Emeritus, man! It must have been awesome :) I'm just starting to get into their stuff, and I'm really liking it so far.
Yes it was! Granted I can't say I liked the band who opened for them (King Dude). I mean, I'd probably be more okay with them if I listened to them and JUST them for like a week or two. But overall they were really meh.

King Dude...

Other than that the only problem I had was the fact that the show was sold out and it was completely packed where I was. Resulting in me pretty much being pinned against the barricade thing that was in front of the stage. The only part of my body I could move freely was my left arm because I was standing parallel to the barricade and over the course of the show somehow managed to have my side against it. Then my gf was standing directly in front of me because some douche that was near her kept pushing her into me while he was: taking pics of them like every 10 seconds, recording the show, and shouting through the entire show. Then her cousin was behind me and some chick was next to me and at the end of the show Papa Emeritus threw out a few roses and my gf almost got one but the person next to me knocked it away from her while it was in the air.

I'm still amazed by how douchy people can be during gigs. And ugly slob once stole (yes stole) a drumstick right from my hand like 5 seconds after I picked it up from the ground when the drummer of the band (Not sure what show that was, but I think it might have been Abigail Williams) threw it in the crowd.

Also, I hate when there is no room to move during live shows. At least you still enjoyed the show.

Hmm....you could try giving Don't Break The Oath, Them and Conspiracy (since they're both part of the same concept), or Abigail.

Thanks.

You should also give Blue Oyster Cult a listen if you somehow haven't done so because I've heard Ghost being compared to them as well as King Diamond and Mercyful Fate.

Alright!

Looked it up and the cheapest tickets for the show closest to me are like $50 per ticket! And if I don't want to go alone I'd end up having to pay $100 for two.

Wow... how come the price is so high? Is it because of the venue or Boris just have that much of an ego?

At 4/24/14 12:16 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I dunno how you can not love Welcome Home by King Diamond.

"Grandmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, welcome home
You have been gone far, far too long
Is this a dream, are you really back?

Let me help you out of the chair
Grandma
Let me touch you, let me feel"

Those lyrics, though.

That videoclip though!

It's almost as amazing as Candlemass' Bewitched videoclip! Oh and screw that! The fucking King Diamond flying ghost just kills it! New favorite videoclip!

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-24 03:26:36

Am I the only one who listens to Torture Division? I feel like I shouldn't be

Just now realized that they released a new demo, and GODDAMN they still got it.

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-24 15:47:17

At 4/24/14 02:14 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: King Dude...

Yeah.....

I'm still amazed by how douchy people can be during gigs. And ugly slob once stole (yes stole) a drumstick right from my hand like 5 seconds after I picked it up from the ground when the drummer of the band (Not sure what show that was, but I think it might have been Abigail Williams) threw it in the crowd.

That sounds awful. I'd probably be pretty pissed at someone if they did that to me.

Also, I hate when there is no room to move during live shows. At least you still enjoyed the show.

Yeah it was pretty bad....but yeah I did. Also there was a ton of room when I went to go see The Sword/American Sharks/Clutch. Then again I guess more people are listening to Ghost now than any of those bands....

Wow... how come the price is so high? Is it because of the venue or Boris just have that much of an ego?

No idea. But I'm guessing it's because of the venue. The last time they were near here they weren't half that price.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-24 16:04:51

Hey sup brothers ?
I'm currently listenning Amon Amarth ,Legion of the damned and Sabaton ...you should really check the two last bands they are awesome.

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-24 16:20:49

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-24 19:28:57

At 4/24/14 04:04 PM, CMTKingMacar wrote: Hey sup brothers ?
I'm currently listenning Amon Amarth ,Legion of the damned and Sabaton ...you should really check the two last bands they are awesome.

I know both Amon Amarth and Sabaton, but not Legion of the Damned. But I'm pretty picky when it comes to death metal, these days.

Talking about death metal, I'm pretty happy that there will be a majority of death metal bands on the Summer Slaughter Tour 2014 edition. They made pretty poor decisions before, but this year, it's basically what I expect from a tour that is promoted as a death metal tour. The last few years it was saturated by shitcore bands like Whitechapel and others like them.

Metal Hell

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-25 13:39:14

At 4/24/14 04:20 PM, Viper wrote: New Slayer song.
It's kinda meh....
http://www.metalinjection.net/av/listen-to-the-new-slayer-song-implode-right-now

It's okay, I guess. It's got the pointless Kerry King wankery like all their songs seem to nowadays, but the structure is more interesting than their usual fare.

Honestly I think they should just call it quits. It's not the same bad anymore.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-25 17:42:06

At 4/25/14 01:39 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote:
At 4/24/14 04:20 PM, Viper wrote: New Slayer song.
It's kinda meh....
http://www.metalinjection.net/av/listen-to-the-new-slayer-song-implode-right-now
It's okay, I guess. It's got the pointless Kerry King wankery like all their songs seem to nowadays, but the structure is more interesting than their usual fare.

Honestly I think they should just call it quits. It's not the same bad anymore.

This statement gets me wondering which band of the big four of thrash will disband first.

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-25 18:46:41

At 4/25/14 05:42 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: This statement gets me wondering which band of the big four of thrash will disband first.

I'm betting it'll go: Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, then Metallica
No real reason why. I just think Slayer will go first because Jeff died, Dave is out of the band, and Tom has said that he may or may not want to play as Slayer since Jeff died.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-25 18:57:17

At 4/25/14 06:46 PM, Viper wrote: I'm betting it'll go: Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, then Metallica
No real reason why. I just think Slayer will go first because Jeff died, Dave is out of the band, and Tom has said that he may or may not want to play as Slayer since Jeff died.

I'd choose the same order, but Megadeth would be at the end. Megadeth isn't really a band anyway, it's pretty much Dave Mustaine's project and it won't go down because of one or another musician leaving the band. Only Mustaine can make it end. But Metallica would most likely not survive the departure of either Hetfield or Ulrich. Yet, Metallica is still alive. I don't know much about Anthrax, though. So I don't have a very good reason to put them in that spot. And of course Slayer comes first, for the reasons you have stated.

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-28 00:21:45

At 4/27/14 11:13 PM, Vnzi wrote: Don't know if Boris is considered metal, but I've been listening to Boris' Pink a lot lately and I'm loving this more than I should really.

Yes they are, among other things. They combine elements of sludge, drone, doom metal, stoner metal, stoner rock, noise rock, dream pop and more. So yes, definitely metal.

Pink is an amazing album for sure. Farewell, Pink, Women On The Screen and Blackout are my favorite tracks on the album.

If you like Pink, I highly recommend Heavy Rocks (2002). It's an amazing album, even better than Pink and it's pretty much in the same vein.

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-28 11:31:19

Dude! Al Cisneros is selling his Green Matamp SLAVE Unit that was used during the recording of Dopesmoker!
You can find it here.
Heres a brief part of the description:

"SLEEP - This amp was used by Al Cisneros on the Sleep Recordings SLEEP - Sleep's Holy Mountain for two songs and the entire recording session[s] of SLEEP - Jerusalem / Dopesmoker. The amp was also used for the live shows during 1993 and Sleep's Holy Mountain USA tour in 1994.
Om - The amp was dormant during the time period from late 1994 until 2004. Al Cisneros returned to the music industry with his new band Om in 2005. Al used this amp for the entire recording sessions of Om - Variations on a Theme, Conference of the Birds and Pilgrimage. The amp was also used for all live shows from 2005-2009."

I really wish I had the money to get this because it is seriously a big piece of music history.

At 4/28/14 12:54 AM, Vnzi wrote:
At 4/28/14 12:21 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: If you like Pink, I highly recommend Heavy Rocks (2002). It's an amazing album, even better than Pink and it's pretty much in the same vein.
I got their other album Flood on a friend's request, and I really love that album to death. I'll definitely try getting more of their albums, especially if most of their discography was as good as the stuff I listened to.

And if you like Heavy Rocks (2002) you'd also like Heavy Rocks II and more than likely Smile as well.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-28 19:32:36

Brand new Red Fang song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxX6A3lrZ4M
They're doing a tour and it was supposed to be released when they started the tour but the band decided to be super awesome and release it ahead of it's planned release date.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-28 20:40:43

At 4/28/14 12:21 AM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 4/27/14 11:13 PM, Vnzi wrote: Don't know if Boris is considered metal, but I've been listening to Boris' Pink a lot lately and I'm loving this more than I should really.
Pink is an amazing album for sure. Farewell, Pink, Women On The Screen and Blackout are my favorite tracks on the album.

Farewell is my favorite. I love that song.

If you like Pink, I highly recommend Heavy Rocks (2002). It's an amazing album, even better than Pink and it's pretty much in the same vein.

Yes. Such a sick album. Especially 1970 and Rattlesnake.

At 4/28/14 12:54 AM, Vnzi wrote: I got their other album Flood on a friend's request, and I really love that album to death. I'll definitely try getting more of their albums, especially if most of their discography was as good as the stuff I listened to.

I'd go for Heavy Rocks and Amplifier Worship. Altar with Sunn O))) is also good.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-28 22:34:18

At 4/28/14 11:31 AM, Viper wrote: And if you like Heavy Rocks (2002) you'd also like Heavy Rocks II and more than likely Smile as well.

I still haven't listened to Heavy Rocks two, for some reason...

At 4/28/14 08:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Farewell is my favorite. I love that song.

Killer track!

Bell is an amazing track two!

At 4/28/14 12:54 AM, Vnzi wrote: I got their other album Flood on a friend's request, and I really love that album to death. I'll definitely try getting more of their albums, especially if most of their discography was as good as the stuff I listened to.
I'd go for Heavy Rocks and Amplifier Worship. Altar with Sunn O))) is also good.

I highly recommend Altar, it's a drone masterpiece!

Also guys, did any of you hear anything from Ulver and Sunn O))) collaborative album? I heard good comments about it, but never gave it a listen myself.

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-29 11:44:00

At 4/28/14 10:34 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 4/28/14 11:31 AM, Viper wrote: And if you like Heavy Rocks (2002) you'd also like Heavy Rocks II and more than likely Smile as well.
I still haven't listened to Heavy Rocks two, for some reason...

I have a video up on YouTube that has both Heavy Rocks albums one after another on it. I can put a link for it on here if you want me to. It actually works better than you think it would.
I also saw someone had a video up of Flood synced with I wanna say Sun Baked Snow Cave. I only heard a bit of it but it sounds really good.

Also guys, did any of you hear anything from Ulver and Sunn O))) collaborative album? I heard good comments about it, but never gave it a listen myself.

I've been on Southern Lord's site and keep seeing it on there and am VERY tempted to buy it. Though I'm about to send out payment for 2 vinyls I bought off of Relapse's site. Red Fang - Whales & Leeches picture disc and Windhand - Soma on Green and Orange splatter vinyl.

At 4/28/14 08:40 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 4/28/14 12:21 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: If you like Pink, I highly recommend Heavy Rocks (2002). It's an amazing album, even better than Pink and it's pretty much in the same vein.

1970 is probably my favorite from Heavy Rocks (2002). Then Heavy Friends, Death Valley, Korosu, and then Rattlesnake.
For Heavy Rocks II it'd be: Window Shopping, Missing Pieces, Jackson Head, and

Amplifier Worship is a pretty awesome album. Especially Huge, Vomitself, and Ganbow-Ki.
04092001 is also pretty good. Same with Black: Implication Flood and Feedbacker. You could really pick em up at any point in their discography because damn near all of their stuff is good.

At 4/28/14 08:15 PM, Vnzi wrote: Oh this is fantastic, I gotta check out their dates for the upcoming tour, my roommate owes me one concert and I'm damn sure going to bring her to a Red Fang one.

I convinced my gf to come with me because I got her into em not too long ago. We actually got our tickets the day they were made available. I'm definitely going to be sure to grab a copy of that 7" at the show. And see if they have any copies of Red Fang there. And maybe see if I can get some stuff signed by em. Most likely my picture discs since I have the one for Murder The Mountains and am getting Whales & Leeches.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-29 13:37:41

Mastodon have revealed the art for Once More Round The Sun, the track list, AND the release date.

The tracks are as follows:
1. Tread Lightly
2. The Motherload
3. High Road
4. Once More 'Round the Sun
5. Chimes at Midnight
6. Asleep in the Deep
7. Feast Your Eyes
8. Aunt Lisa
9. Ember City
10. Halloween
11. Diamond in the Witch House (featuring Scott Kelly of Neurosis)

It is set to be released June 24th.
I may end up buying both the CD and vinyl just for that artwork.

Metal Hell

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-29 17:25:23

Sweet fucking cover.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2014-04-29 22:38:49

At 4/24/14 07:28 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Talking about death metal, I'm pretty happy that there will be a majority of death metal bands on the Summer Slaughter Tour 2014 edition. They made pretty poor decisions before, but this year, it's basically what I expect from a tour that is promoted as a death metal tour. The last few years it was saturated by shitcore bands like Whitechapel and others like them.

Saw the lineup the other day man, I'm stoked. I saw Dying Fetus last year, and I just saw Goatwhore last week (along with Behemoth and 1349). Both bands are sick, supposedly Rivers of Nihil are gonna be booked on the Philly show, so even though I live in NY I might wait and get tickets for the one in Philly.

Good to hear death metal is still somewhat talked about here.

Response to Metal Hell 2014-05-01 01:27:20

At 4/30/14 09:02 PM, Vnzi wrote:
At 4/29/14 01:37 PM, Viper wrote: Mastodon have revealed the art for Once More Round The Sun, the track list, AND the release date.
It is set to be released June 24th.
I may end up buying both the CD and vinyl just for that artwork.
So now should be the time I get into Mastodon?

I guess? I'd personally suggest starting with something like Blood Mountain or The Hunter. Unless you're into heavier and more aggressive vocals. Then start with Remission then go in chronological order from there.
Remission, Leviathan, Call of the Mastodon, Blood Mountain, Crack The Skye, The Hunter, then Once More Round The Sun.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature