00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Metal Hell

3,058,399 Views | 77,360 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-12 23:53:08

I just listened to Meshuggah's demo-era material. One word sums up my reaction:

Meshullica. It honestly sounds like Metallica.

You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 01:26:11

At 1/12/13 11:53 PM, ElGhoulio wrote: I just listened to Meshuggah's demo-era material. One word sums up my reaction:

Meshullica. It honestly sounds like Metallica.

Meshuggah sucks imo. They're really not a good band when it comes to experimental metal.

Also I ordered an album that I couldn't find ANYWHERE online off this Ukrainian seller, and with my album I also got a bunch of advertisements on Ukrainian black metal bands. Lucifugum, Gromm, and Kosa. Lucifugum is the best, these guys are seriously freaking awesome. Anyone ever hear of these? Or listen to any other Ukrainian black metal bands?

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 09:14:06

At 1/12/13 07:00 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: By the way Sense, I was giving another chance to Mr. Bungle just now. Tried the track Slowly Growing Deaf. It's pretty awesome. Too bad the track as to end with a full minute filled with noises of a man taking a dripping shit. But hey... that's funny right ?

The better songs from the debut album are Squeeze Me Macaroni and Carousel. I'm aware that the album have those distracting moments but there's still quality music to be heard somewhere.

At 1/13/13 01:26 AM, mothballs wrote: Meshuggah sucks imo. They're really not a good band when it comes to experimental metal.

I've never been huge on Meshuggah. There's some stuff here and there I do like but everything else is meh to me. I've given them enough chances but most of it doesn't click on.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 11:59:51

At 1/12/13 11:53 PM, ElGhoulio wrote: Meshullica. It honestly sounds like Metallica.

Same goes for their first album. Essentially And Justice For All... with more groove.

Meshuggah are ok. When I'm in the mood for that kind of stuff, it can be satisfying, but other than that annual desire, I don't really listen to them. They stick to their formula a bit too much for me. My only real problem with them is their fan base. They ridicule groove metal, the -cores, and nu-metal, yet they listen to the same thing, albeit more complex.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 12:23:31

At 1/13/13 09:14 AM, Bahamut wrote: The better songs from the debut album are Squeeze Me Macaroni and Carousel. I'm aware that the album have those distracting moments but there's still quality music to be heard somewhere.

I'm not usually bothered by sillyness and randomness. But Mr. Bungle just has too much of that unfunny crude humor some Americans seem to love so much. I'll give the whole thing another try for sure, but damn... they are just making this so hard for me...

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 13:41:58

At 1/13/13 12:23 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I'm not usually bothered by sillyness and randomness. But Mr. Bungle just has too much of that unfunny crude humor some Americans seem to love so much.

I don't find Mr. Bungle Funny so much as I just like their silliness. How can a song about being a boiling egg not make you smile?

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 14:24:38

For the first Black Sabbath album in 18 years not counting The Devil You Know as well as having the first Ozzy Sabbath album in 35 years, a title like "13" is easily the least exciting name for a record.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 14:57:57

At 1/13/13 02:24 PM, Bahamut wrote: For the first Black Sabbath album in 18 years not counting The Devil You Know as well as having the first Ozzy Sabbath album in 35 years, a title like "13" is easily the least exciting name for a record.

.......what? What kind of name is 13?
And they got the dude from Rage Against The Machine to fill in for the drums? o.O What the hell is up with THAT?

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 17:00:27

At 1/13/13 02:57 PM, Viper50 wrote:
At 1/13/13 02:24 PM, Bahamut wrote: For the first Black Sabbath album in 18 years not counting The Devil You Know as well as having the first Ozzy Sabbath album in 35 years, a title like "13" is easily the least exciting name for a record.
.......what? What kind of name is 13?
And they got the dude from Rage Against The Machine to fill in for the drums? o.O What the hell is up with THAT?

Those might just be tricks to lower the fans expectations so they don't get dissapointed too much when the real thing comes out :P

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 17:29:50

At 1/13/13 05:00 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Those might just be tricks to lower the fans expectations so they don't get dissapointed too much when the real thing comes out :P

Eh who knows.....though I wont deny that I like a few songs by RATM ._.
Either way I'll still be buying it when it comes out. Even if they decide to have Ozzy rap on it haha.

that would actually be very interesting to hear to be honest xD

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 17:42:52

At 1/13/13 09:14 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 1/13/13 01:26 AM, mothballs wrote: Meshuggah sucks imo. They're really not a good band when it comes to experimental metal.
I've never been huge on Meshuggah. There's some stuff here and there I do like but everything else is meh to me. I've given them enough chances but most of it doesn't click on.

Have you guys heard their demo-era material? It sounds nothing like their newer material

You can't spell subtext without buttsex. | I control Psycryptik | Psycryptik controls your mind

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-13 20:18:23

Eh, Mr Bungle's goofiness doesn't bug me that much, but no it doesn't make me laugh.

Also, you guys think "13" is a bad album title? At least the number 13 has that superstitious, bad mojo kind of stigma to it.

Now, how about "8"?

Metal Hell

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-14 00:43:00

I've had this dreadful discussion on YouTube, in the comment section of a Mastodon track. I'm losing faith in this world...

Sdedvards : "This band is saving the heavy rock/metal genre!"

HeavenDuff (Me, of course) : "Saving it from what ? Leeches Of Lore ? Hammers Of Misfortune ? Agalloch ? Electric Wizard ? Bongripper ? Blotted Science ? Metal doesn't need saving. Mastodon is awesome, but your post isn't."

MoAug22 : "Every band you just named sucks donkey dongs. What planet are you living on to not think that metal is at least on life support if not dead. Won't even touch Mastodon saving metal because its going to take alot more bands than just one but get real bro you seem a little out of touch. You do know we're in 2013 and not 1985 right?"

Makes me want to kill hiptser pseudo-metalheads...

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-14 13:26:36

At 1/13/13 05:00 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Those might just be tricks to lower the fans expectations so they don't get dissapointed too much when the real thing comes out :P

Expectations were easily lost the moment they confirmed Bill Ward would not be returning.

At 1/13/13 05:42 PM, ElGhoulio wrote: Have you guys heard their demo-era material? It sounds nothing like their newer material

As a matter of fact, yes. I picked it up during some random downloads. Certainly much different to what I've heard from them.

At 1/13/13 08:18 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Now, how about "8"?

That's a little different. At least it's not some 13 cliche that doesn't even add any logic to an album. Then again, it depends the meaning of 8 for that album.

At 1/14/13 12:43 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: I've had this dreadful discussion on YouTube, in the comment section of a Mastodon track. I'm losing faith in this world...

Dear me, did that douche even know the bands you listed? I'm positive every single band you named there were formed AFTER 1990.

Makes me want to kill hiptser pseudo-metalheads...

And there's also some metalheads that I wish weren't even part of metal at all. Some of the comments on Slough Feg's Sky Chariots for when Metal Blade promoted the 3CD box set re-issue were dreadful. How can one even call it generic or say they're "30 years late"? Gaaaaah!

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-14 15:00:39

There is this young band named Armed Cloud. Their keyboardist wrote me an e-mail, requesting a review for their newest EP and gave a link to download it. If anybody else is interrested in writing a review for them, I thought I would share the link for the album download here.

Armed Cloud - Shroud of Rain

They seem like pretty cool guys, so if you feel like writing a review for the album, feel free to do so, I think they would appreciate it.

At 1/14/13 01:26 PM, Bahamut wrote: Dear me, did that douche even know the bands you listed? I'm positive every single band you named there were formed AFTER 1990.

I'm pretty sure he didn't know these. At best, he listened to a few seconds of one track by each band before posting that comment. He obviously doesn't have much knowledge about any of the ones I listed.

And there's also some metalheads that I wish weren't even part of metal at all. Some of the comments on Slough Feg's Sky Chariots for when Metal Blade promoted the 3CD box set re-issue were dreadful. How can one even call it generic or say they're "30 years late"? Gaaaaah!

I've had this dreadful discussion on last.fm about the controversial black metal band Profanatica. If anybody said anything negative about this band he was automaticaly a "pseudo-intellectual", and the fans were always under the impression that we were criticizing the maturity of the band. I've never said once that they were immature. But anyway... you know how arguments goes on last.fm. You write something, and if someone disagrees he will dig around your library to find something to laugh about in your musical taste, rather then trying to answer your comment with real thought out arguments...

Elsiane - Nobody Knows

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-14 16:13:10

At 1/14/13 03:58 PM, Shade wrote: Any one here listen to a power metal band by the name of Lost Horizon? I find their stuff quite enjoyable, Highlander (The One) is my personal favourite.

Musk Ox's guitarist recommanded me this band. I still haven't checked them out though. I definitely should.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-14 18:24:25

Anyone here whose a fan of Saint Vitus I was curious what you feel is their best album and what you feel is their worst.

As for me I'd say best is tied between Saint Vitus and Born Too Late. And the worst being C.O.D.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-15 09:24:05

At 1/14/13 03:00 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 1/14/13 01:26 PM, Bahamut wrote: Dear me, did that douche even know the bands you listed? I'm positive every single band you named there were formed AFTER 1990.
I'm pretty sure he didn't know these. At best, he listened to a few seconds of one track by each band before posting that comment. He obviously doesn't have much knowledge about any of the ones I listed.

Yeah, that's how it goes. Too bad there aren't more listeners like myself who would give some albums too many listens. :P You know, it's kinda sad when we can start justifying the worst reviewers from Metal-Archives since you can tell for the most part they at least took the time to listen to the albums they're reviewing.

I've had this dreadful discussion on last.fm

Yeah, Last.fm. 'Nuff said there. From day one I have thought the shoutboxes were one of the worst things that happened to the site and I'm still correct on that statement. I believe they were introduced just a few months prior to myself signing up.

At 1/14/13 03:58 PM, Shade wrote: Any one here listen to a power metal band by the name of Lost Horizon? I find their stuff quite enjoyable, Highlander (The One) is my personal favourite.

YES!!! These guys are definitely good. It's just a damn shame they haven't done anything in a decade now.

At 1/14/13 06:24 PM, Viper50 wrote: Anyone here whose a fan of Saint Vitus I was curious what you feel is their best album and what you feel is their worst.

Can't really say much about them since I only have two of their albums but Born Too Late is something to pick up. A really moody album and it works.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-15 10:09:59

At 1/15/13 09:24 AM, Bahamut wrote: Can't really say much about them since I only have two of their albums but Born Too Late is something to pick up. A really moody album and it works.

Ah okay. Well I'd say pick up either Saint Vitus or V since you already have Born Too Late.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-15 20:49:47

So HMV have officially announced they're going into "administration" as a result it's putting 4350 UK employees at risk.
Also store gift vouchers have been declared void until further notice.

So...yeah...doesn't really affect me though. But I just felt like sharing this.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-15 22:09:03

At 1/14/13 01:26 PM, Bahamut wrote: That's a little different. At least it's not some 13 cliche that doesn't even add any logic to an album. Then again, it depends the meaning of 8 for that album.

I imagine it has to do with Chanukkah, even though the members are actually Christians. I don't recall any of the lyrics, though. I don't pay much attention to lyrics.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-16 06:52:48

Just a little tip to everyone here including those that may not post here that often. If someone is coming here to try and trash on metal, just leave to me and I'll squash that motherfucker like a bug. They have no business posting here.

At 1/15/13 08:49 PM, Viper50 wrote: So HMV have officially announced they're going into "administration" as a result it's putting 4350 UK employees at risk.
Also store gift vouchers have been declared void until further notice.

So...yeah...doesn't really affect me though. But I just felt like sharing this.

It's quite a blow for me seeing as not only did I have a gift card to spend there, it's also the last of music on high street shops. Everywhere else only sells X Factor and Justin Bieber crap. I won't deny that they are horribly unreasonable with prices at times for music but if you do look hard enough, there are some genuinely good deals there. Last year Peaceville Records had all their releases at HMV for 6 quid per CD which is a damn good deal! However, now it is a struggle for the company to keep up with Amazon and such, particularly when Amazon have better management with lesser known music. I'll be at their big shop in London tomorrow providing it doesn't shut off before I get the chance to shop there.

It isn't always a good idea to rely on Amazon, eBay and anything else online as postal service here have a tendency to fuck up things and get shit lost in the post. It's never been a problem with ordering things from somewhere far like Japan or South Korea but somehow the Royal Mail can screw up with stuff that's only being sent within the UK. I guess this is where buying an album straight from iTunes has its advantage but it's not the real thing and it never will be. I do not want to be forced to digital downloads. Having all these CDs makes me feel like I genuinely have them; getting them online whether legal or not doesn't. I won't question anyone for their methods of downloading but it's hard to be comfortable with them when:

A) Tagged tracks can easily be wrong
B) Torrents are not always reliable
C) Sites like Megaupload and Mediafire are getting shot down left and right

So yeah, that's my rant for the day. It'll be a damn shame if the biggest music retailer in the UK is gone but this was kinda inevitable for a while now. It's just the timing couldn't have been any shittier for me.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-16 08:54:53

Im still enchanted by Spawn of Possession's Incurs album.

Best tech death album 2012!?

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-17 15:03:58

I'm going to a metal festival (Download) in Summer, and I follow the festival on Facebook. Whenever I read the comments people are always saying "we never get festivals and line ups like this in America". Which I just find a bit baffling. I know Download is a pretty big metal festival, but are festivals not as good across the pond? I suppose it could make a bit of sense, seeing as how you have more opportunities to see bands as they ALWAYS tour in America.

http://www.downloadfestival.co.uk/line-up

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-17 16:51:47

At 1/17/13 03:03 PM, iMini wrote: I suppose it could make a bit of sense, seeing as how you have more opportunities to see bands as they ALWAYS tour in America.

I hardly see any bands touring anywhere around here. And when they do 99% of the time its 21+ because of the whole being 21 to drink here. It's why I missed seeing: The Sword (more than once), High On Fire (more than once), Saint Vitus, Om, Graveyard, and more than likely Orange Goblin when they tour here for the first time in I think ever...or in a long time. I dont know. I will be severely pissed off if I miss them.
I already missed Electric Wizard when they were playing at the Maryland Deathfest last year, and it was their first show here in the states in 10 YEARS! I'm more than likely going to miss Sleep because I doubt anyone would go with me to Maryland to see them, and I am NOT driving all the way to Maryland all by myself.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-18 18:35:49

Just pre-ordered a Limited Edition 7" split EP of Red Fang and ASG off of Relapse.
I guess the only way to order it is with either: a Red Fang shirt, an ASG shirt, or a Red Fang hoodie. So I ordered the one with the Red Fang shirt since the hoodie one was fucking $40! Whereas one of the ones with the shirt was roughly $23.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-18 18:40:45

The nearest places where any bands that are at least slightly well known play are in Poughkeepsie, which is across the river from me. But most of the well known bands that play in NY play in the city.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-19 02:24:58

Just have to share this with you guys. Atmospheric black metal from Slovakia. Even if you're not into black metal, you gotta check out this masterpiece. Seriously, bands like this need more notoriety. This is amazing.

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-19 12:29:18

At 1/19/13 02:24 AM, mothballs wrote: Just have to share this with you guys. Atmospheric black metal from Slovakia. Even if you're not into black metal, you gotta check out this masterpiece. Seriously, bands like this need more notoriety. This is amazing.

Fantastic find, thank you!

Also since i lurk so much I guess I best list my 10 favorite metal bands so I can be a "member", right? In no specific order;

1. Emperor
2. Death
3. Attomica
4. Satyricon
5. Possessed
6. Nokturnal Mortum
7. Dio
8. Dissection
9. Devastation
10. Limbonic Art

BBS Signature

Response to Metal Hell 2013-01-19 13:04:12

At 1/19/13 12:29 PM, SaltshakerClock wrote: stuff

For some reason I thought you were already a member here.

ignore me....

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature