00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bam76pixon just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Animation Practice!?

138,597 Views | 989 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-18 16:55:32

At 12/18/10 03:57 PM, CloudEater wrote:
At 12/18/10 02:20 PM, Sam wrote: Hello there. I haven't animated in a very long time...
That's looking really good Saza ;D

Getting nostalgia up in this thread!

Started the front pose. I'm dreading drawing the hat. Thinking of ditching it just for hair.

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-18 17:00:37

why not do a walk cycle and use tweens or frame by frame.

Mmm... Walk cycle... Maybe... ...

He's right behind you... And he's got donuts :3

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-18 17:00:55

At 12/18/10 04:55 PM, Sam wrote:
At 12/18/10 03:57 PM, CloudEater wrote:
At 12/18/10 02:20 PM, Sam wrote: Hello there. I haven't animated in a very long time...
That's looking really good Saza ;D
Getting nostalgia up in this thread!

Started the front pose. I'm dreading drawing the hat. Thinking of ditching it just for hair.

don't do the hat, it's good practice and it suits the character.

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-18 17:02:36

At 12/18/10 05:00 PM, flashero wrote: don't do the hat, it's good practice and it suits the character.

*do the hat

sorry for the double post

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-18 17:03:23

At 12/18/10 05:00 PM, flashero wrote: do the hat, it's good practice and it suits the character.

Definitely true. I think I might leave it till last though, me being lazy and all (;

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-19 17:05:05

This is a little crappy (I think I uploaded it here by the feeling to keep this post alive) But anyways it's just a guy punching the... Mmmmm... Air? Well it's actually more like a guide than an animation

Come on! I wanna see that guy bash the crap out of the air

He's right behind you... And he's got donuts :3

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-20 06:35:32

At 12/19/10 05:05 PM, oscar11122 wrote: This is a little crappy (I think I uploaded it here by the feeling to keep this post alive) But anyways it's just a guy punching the... Mmmmm... Air? Well it's actually more like a guide than an animation

Come on! I wanna see that guy bash the crap out of the air

I don't know if you wanted help but here you go:

3 frame punch

I did it in like 5 minutes and I'm not exactly great with animation or anatomy, but hopefully this is better than no help at all.

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-22 16:06:44

nice topic o3o
i made this and spent quite a good time on it with TONS of filters and ALOT of layers :P
tell me wutcha think
i really wish i could post it to the portal but its so small but amazing quality
so ill just show ya here

http://aniharvey.deviantart.com/#/d35fd0 4

Distractions

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-22 17:19:39

At 12/22/10 04:06 PM, AniHarvs wrote: nice topic o3o
i made this and spent quite a good time on it with TONS of filters and ALOT of layers :P
tell me wutcha think
i really wish i could post it to the portal but its so small but amazing quality
so ill just show ya here

Why do you think using tons of filters and layers makes something good. You seem to be very biased about your own work.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-22 17:29:20

At 12/22/10 05:19 PM, Blounty wrote:
At 12/22/10 04:06 PM, AniHarvs wrote: nice topic o3o
tell me wutcha think
so ill just show ya here

Why do you think using tons of filters and layers makes something good. You seem to be very biased about your own work.

Was just about to mention that. You think a lot of yourself, when actually, the loop was average at best.

Filter-raping everything doesn't make it look good. Filters can be used exceptionally well under certain circumstances but that doesn't mean you should use them to the point where the whole stage is dominated with basic shapes with 4 filters on each.

The looping of the grass is terrible, you did well on the characters hair swaying considering it must only be a few frames long. I don't understand why the character animation was tons better than the grass. The buildings in the background are just rectangles with basic shading. It annoys the shit out of me how the colouring of the shading has surpassed the actual building, like you've just quickly scribbled using the brush tool and filled.

Also the moon doesn't do that.

You might get some good comments on DA but thats because they'd be impressed with a tween.

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-22 18:32:35

I've been listening to some indian music lately, and i felt inspired to make a cartoon this morning.
I'm hoping to finish by Xmas so im cutting some corners and blazing through it as best i can.
Its actually alot harder than i thought to lip synch a language you dont understand. Ah well its still good practice, and kinda fun.

WIP

None

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-22 19:11:16

At 12/22/10 06:32 PM, Luis wrote: I've been listening to some indian music lately, and i felt inspired to make a cartoon this morning.
I'm hoping to finish by Xmas so im cutting some corners and blazing through it as best i can.
Its actually alot harder than i thought to lip synch a language you dont understand. Ah well its still good practice, and kinda fun.

WIP

I'm truly jealous of your lip-syncing.

I can't exactly tell where you're going with it though, right now it seems a bit long winded to have him singing for that whole time, but obviously, WIP.

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-22 21:37:03

okay... i never really said the filters is what made it awesome i just said i used alot
and it adds a nice effect :P i thought it was cool so i wanted to show it..... no need to get over in criticism ._.
i tried to make a soothing thing
the reason the buildings are like that is because there further away

Distractions

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-22 21:42:11

Just some flash crap. Was supposed to be lipsync practice but I crapped out halfway. I feel comfortable posting this since hardly anyone comes to these forums... :(

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-22 21:50:40

At 12/22/10 09:42 PM, DNoack757 wrote: Just some flash crap. Was supposed to be lipsync practice but I crapped out halfway. I feel comfortable posting this since hardly anyone comes to these forums... :(

lip synching looked pretty good to me. I think the camera shots felt a little weird. like the first bit with the coach still talking ('i think he says you understand me'), you did a quick cut to the guy in the pink with no real benefit to the scene. I think its a jarring cut, youd have been better off keeping focus on the coach to emphasize the authority in that line he delivers. Also the wandering zoom in the beginning bits seem unnecessary. I like the part where you do that rushed panned down to him not having arms. It feels comfortable there. The drifting at the beginning I could live without, I felt.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-23 03:00:35

Hey Guys.
Im new here to newgrounds.
This is for my upcoming and first animation being posted to Newgrounds.
Its just a part of it ^_^
http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/a8fa 84781451cc7c6528df3c82c0fa59

P.S. could some one explain how to post the link with <a >

Hmmn

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-23 10:51:58

At 12/22/10 09:37 PM, AniHarvs wrote: okay... i never really said the filters is what made it awesome i just said i used alot
and it adds a nice effect :P i thought it was cool so i wanted to show it.....

Your use of filters is really bad, the blurring of the snow on the ground is completely terrible; the only time you should ever need a glow or blur filter is when something is luminous or if your focusing on a certain part of the scene.

i tried to make a soothing thing

The soothingness was there although it could have been a lot better. Mainly better or themed colours and music/sound would have made it more soothing

the reason the buildings are like that is because there further away

lol good one

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-23 11:32:18

well thank you i guess... :P for the critiqueing
also there IS music in it

Distractions

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-23 12:08:55

At 12/23/10 11:32 AM, AniHarvs wrote: well thank you i guess... :P for the critiqueing

Yeah, i tend to agree with most of CloudEater's feedback. I think filters are extremely tempting to use, particularly to newer animators. I like to think of making flash animations like cooking a meal, its a delicate balance of ingredients, just because i like bacon bits, doesnt mean everything i cook will benefit from cramming bacon bits into the pot. Some recipies will flat out be ruined. So you just have to be very concious of the dish you are cooking. You dont want to overpower it with filters, much like you wouldnt want to overpower a dish with spices, or in my case, bacon bits.

Anywho i made some progress on that indian shit i was working on last night.
If youre interested...

None

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-23 12:17:45

Luis can't cook.

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-23 12:26:28

At 12/23/10 12:08 PM, Luis wrote: Anywho i made some progress on that indian shit i was working on last night.
If youre interested...

Ive got to admit, I was a bit skeptical with having Luis (can I refer to him as "you" or is he Luis as a separate character?) singing for that long, but it's looking much nicer. Every time I watch your animations I'm extremely impressed by how much life you manage give your characters, keep us updated.

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-23 12:31:12

At 12/23/10 11:32 AM, AniHarvs wrote: well thank you i guess... :P for the critiqueing

oh! I must have had my speakers turned off :P

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-23 12:34:00

Luis, you may want to keep the top teeth static in your lip synch.
I realise that we are all making cartoons but the style you have
there doesn't really break so many rules so the moving upper teeth
seem strange

anyway...

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/da55 0e92cb9f807bbf7bb861f7109088

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-23 12:49:43

At 12/23/10 12:34 PM, MickHarrison wrote: Luis, you may want to keep the top teeth static in your lip synch.
I realise that we are all making cartoons but the style you have
there doesn't really break so many rules so the moving upper teeth
seem strange

Yea thats a good point, i'll see if i can tweak it. Speaking of teeth i actually like that the teeth change in your WIP. like he goes from very toothless to full set. The exaggeration feels comfortable and adds to comic relief

None

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-23 17:22:14

i got bored of working on that lip synching bit so i started working on some dancing dudes that im gonna plop in

http://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/f038 c91eaf5984c57f14773a32c299e2

None

BBS Signature

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-24 16:03:35

I like the stylistic movement, Luis. Also, his mustache is admirable.

Here's a little practice I did when I woke up today. They're just keyframes for now.
Taekwondo Kicks

Photographer - Digital Painter - Game Designer - Hawt Seckser

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-25 23:27:22

Just a test
DBZ style, very lame I know. It was for fun. And what can I say, I'm a sucker for dragonball!

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-26 01:34:43

At 12/25/10 11:27 PM, Quadkillz wrote: Just a test
DBZ style, very lame I know. It was for fun. And what can I say, I'm a sucker for dragonball!

I'm not sure I see what's going on?
Maybe it's just because I'm old and don't know DBZ..

Photographer - Digital Painter - Game Designer - Hawt Seckser

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-26 09:47:06

At 12/26/10 01:34 AM, brettamatowski wrote: I'm not sure I see what's going on?
Maybe it's just because I'm old and don't know DBZ.

They are fighting, because in dragon ball Z they would do the kind of thing; two frame movements while in a fight(although not always).

Response to Animation Practice!? 2010-12-26 21:22:18

Exactly, It was kind of an in-joke if you're a fan of DBZ. I made it for myself though, I had no intention of anyone seeing that , haha.