00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Patrick8008 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

NG London Meet VIII 2011

50,034 Views | 693 Replies

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-03-24 19:02:44

I would like to be put on the attending list if it isn't too much trouble.

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-03-24 19:21:29

At 3/24/11 06:22 PM, Gagsy wrote:
At 3/24/11 06:18 PM, Luis wrote: If you didnt update your user icon to the new 60x60 version, you'll have an ugly default icon. Shame on you!

link
So most users, including one member of staff.

Tsk tsk liljim.

Get bent, I'm not an artist.

LOISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! ICON NEED.

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-03-24 19:25:21

At 3/24/11 06:18 PM, Luis wrote: If you didnt update your user icon to the new 60x60 version, you'll have an ugly default icon. Shame on you!

I on the other-hand did not update and appear to have an icon. Talk about convenient.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-03-25 03:59:22

At 3/24/11 07:21 PM, liljim wrote:
Get bent

Now that just hurts my feelings.

You might not be an artist but you sure are a meany.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-03-25 04:51:29

At 3/25/11 03:59 AM, Gagsy wrote:
At 3/24/11 07:21 PM, liljim wrote:
Get bent
Now that just hurts my feelings.

You might not be an artist but you sure are a meany.

Lil' man syndrome.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-03-25 06:19:34

Hmm if i get time of the ol' bar job i might be able to come down, should be a larf.

Let me kill your thread for you, it wasn't all that interesting anyway.

Sig by Limited

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-03-25 08:06:12

Luis needs to add me to the list >:(

My girlfriend may or may not be attending.

Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body - Shalashaska-1, 2008

Feel free to MSN me: warsmithdave@msn.com

Beware the NGSkeletonGimp! M:tG Klub.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-04-05 19:53:21

At 3/25/11 08:06 AM, SkeletonGimp wrote: Luis needs to add me to the list >:(

Added, also added a few more stragglers to that hub page shit.

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-04 19:11:10

Sadly with new budgeting problems I probably won't be able to make this so I'm putting myself as out, living alone with no job is shit. Hopefully be up for later ones.

If I do manage to get some money spare I will re-think it but doubt it.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-04 19:20:00

At 5/4/11 07:11 PM, Ragnarokia wrote: Sadly with new budgeting problems I probably won't be able to make this so I'm putting myself as out, living alone with no job is shit. Hopefully be up for later ones.

Aw man, I was hoping to see you in London again. I'm still good to go with the weekend except I WILL NOT be with you guys on the Thursday because I have Slough Feg to see that night. That takes priority over one day of the meet!

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-04 19:37:48

I'm in a bit of a similar situation to Rag, budget wise. I'm really not sure what's going to happen with me now. Really hoping that I can still make it but it's a mixture of low funds and a dread of having to spend 9+ hours on a bus.

The shorter journey and cheaper alternative might just be for me to attend the Glasgow meet, but then I'm obviously not going to see as many of the familiar faces from Manchester :(

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-07 06:25:48

Is anyone who has previously been to the London meet for the weekend able to give me a rough estimate as to how much it actually cost them in total (including accommodation)? It's hard to say whether or not I actually have enough money to spare without having any idea of what it will cost me.

Manchester cost me around £120 in total I think, but most of that was for the accommodation. I'm expecting London to be a fair bit more, and I was planning on maybe sticking around for an extra day this time, seeing as it is 9 hours away.

So yea, anyone got a rough idea of what this will cost me?

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-13 12:35:18

London will be more expensive but most of that will be for transport. If you buy an oyster card, allow for £ (5+(6.6*numberOfDays)). For food& drink, allow for stuff to be 10to20% more than Birmingham. That only leaves accomodation/getting there, which you can calculate yourself.

I would of course be very happy to see you in Glasgow if that's what you choose...

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-13 12:48:46

At 5/13/11 12:35 PM, Bezman wrote: I would of course be very happy to see you in Glasgow if that's what you choose...

Thanks for the advice Bez. Transport actually costs me much at all. Since I'm taking the bus, a return ticket to London is only £6.50 if I was to order the ticket right now. Accommodation is the expensive part for me, from what I've gathered. Two nights in the Premier Inn Luis told me about is costing around £225 but I'm hoping to split a room with someone. The initial plan was to split a room with Ejit, but I don't think he's spending the night in London any more, but rather just stopping by for a day instead.

I guess an estimate of £200 would seem fair for the entire weekend.

Whilst I'm here, if anyone is looking for a room mate (assuming Ejit isn't actually staying, which I don't think he is) or has an alternative accommodation plan that I can get involved with, let me know. I'm more than happy to split costs with someone like I did in Manchester. I'd just rather not have to get a room at Premier Inn on my own, because it's too costly and would most likely result in me not attending.

It's still early days though, so things are liable to change. It would just be nice to have a rough idea of what I'm going to do accommodation wise in advance, before I go ahead with booking things.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-13 13:35:09

At 5/13/11 12:48 PM, Dean wrote: Thanks for the advice Bez. Transport actually costs me much at all.

Wait until you have to start using the tube on a regular basis (which you will) before casting that aspersion. If you do end up getting down to London, then the first thing you should do is get an Oyster card and put some credit on it.

You have to pay around £3 I think for the "deposit" on it (whatever that means), then you put whatever credit you want on there. What it effectively does is calculate the best price for your travel in London and deducts the price of your journeys from your credit.

That makes it a hell of a lot easier than guessing what day tickets you need for travel, as there are different zones. For instance, you might buy a day ticket for zones 1-3 and only travel within zone 1. That negates the need for the other two on the day ticket.

It's also worth noting that the Oyster card (or day tickets in the zones you're travelling in) are applicable for the tube AND night buses and trams. Don't get scammed like I did a few years ago if anyone approaches you and offers to sell you a ticket that they claim you need to travel.

You can pick them up at most stations - just ask someone at one of the kiosks if you don't know where to get them from.

When they sell you the card, they'll also suggest you get insurance on it. I wouldn't bother with that - they hand the card over in a plastic wallet, just get rid of the plastic wallet and put the card (which is like a credit card) in your own wallet. If you lose that, you're fucked anyway, so I don't see the point in spending money on insuring one card.

You can top up the credit on the Oyster card when you want to and it (to my knowledge) doesn't expire. I'd say you'd need to account for around £23-£33 including the card deposit for a weekend's travel in London (public transport only).

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-13 13:52:16

Thanks Jim. I guess I'm a little naive when it comes to a big city like London. I'm just not used to it. If I want to get around I just tend to walk but it's obviously not easily possible in London.

Even with these additional transport costs, it's still reasonably cheap I'd say. It would have cost me far more to fly down to London or take a train so I can't really complain.

I think the major downside to taking the bus though is that I wont arrive until 3pm on the Friday and I will have to leave at 3pm on the Sunday. I thought my time in Manchester flew by too fast, and I think London is going to go by even quicker which is a shame. Since it's such a trek for me to get down there, I'd really rather try to maximise the time I have. I had considered arriving on the Thursday so that my trip would last an additional day and I will still put some thought into this. It all just depends on how I'm doing financially closer to the event.

It's currently looking like I will be there. I'll be sure to look into these cards a little more as well.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-13 18:34:22

At 5/13/11 04:33 PM, LazyPint wrote: I want to book my flights for this asap to keep my travel costs down, but I don't want to commit to the Thursday night if there'll be no one there to split accommodation with.

Anyone planning to be there then? I know there was a pre-meet meet last year.

It's smack bang in the middle of the school summer holidays, so don't expect flights to be cheap. That said, the sooner you book the more affordable probably unless you go for cheap and (not very) cheerful like Easyjet/Ryanair.

Only going for the afternoon of the main meet day here, but worth checking the hub page and PM'ing those confirmed to look for potential sharers.

Part of Newgrounds furniture since 2000.Clicky, clicky.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-14 15:38:20

At 5/14/11 03:34 PM, LazyPint wrote: it's a damn sight better than sitting on a bus for nine hours like last year.

Don't rub it in.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-21 10:23:47

Hey yo, can any NG user just pop along or is it invite only?
Don't wanna be a faggot but I am not overly familiar with the ettiquette.

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-21 10:30:33

At 5/21/11 10:23 AM, Neod4000 wrote: Hey yo, can any NG user just pop along or is it invite only?
Don't wanna be a faggot but I am not overly familiar with the ettiquette.

Anyone is welcome to join in.

Since this thread was bumped, I thought I might as well let you all know what I'm probably not going to be attending now. So, I guess the next time most of you will potentially see me is at next years Manchester meet.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-28 23:56:38

This is a maybe for me at the moment but I'm sure something can be worked out...

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-29 00:38:11

I'm teetering on a maybe at the moment. Cash is looking tight.

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-29 21:36:55

At 5/21/11 10:30 AM, Dean wrote: I thought I might as well let you all know what I'm probably not going to be attending now.
At 5/28/11 11:56 PM, NEVR wrote: This is a maybe for me at the moment but I'm sure something can be worked out...
At 5/29/11 12:38 AM, Oliver wrote: I'm teetering on a maybe at the moment. Cash is looking tight.

Can I get a definite yes for once or will it just be me and Luis definitely there? :P Almost nothing is going to stop me from coming down that weekend at this point.

That reminds me, I need to buy those damn train tickets!

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-05-29 21:56:26

At 5/29/11 09:36 PM, Bahamut wrote: Can I get a definite yes for once or will it just be me and Luis definitely there? :P Almost nothing is going to stop me from coming down that weekend at this point.

I'd love to be able to give a definite yes or no right now, but it all hinges on whether or not I have work by then.

Obviously I should have work by the time the meet takes place, but in the current job climate nothing is really all that certain. The upside is that on Tuesday I have an appointment with my university's careers department, which should give me a shove in the right direction.

Fingers crossed, basically.

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-06-14 19:35:47

I'll go when I'm 18!

MrPercie on Dromedary: "smug santa claus face, bringing nicieties to those he likes but shite to those he hates - which is everyone"

Sig by this dude

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-06-26 11:33:26

Added in most of the events for this. More or less what you've come to expect from past London meets really, so probably no suprises. Though if the weather is good, we'll skip namco after the london eye and goto hyde park instead. I'll clean up the roster a bit later next month.

Linke

None

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-06-26 19:14:35

At 6/26/11 11:33 AM, Luis wrote: Added in most of the events for this. More or less what you've come to expect from past London meets really, so probably no suprises. Though if the weather is good, we'll skip namco after the london eye and goto hyde park instead. I'll clean up the roster a bit later next month.

Linke

Well, I expected this so I'm happy with what's going on for Friday and Saturday, even if Saturday's events are dependable. Not sure what I'll be doing during the daytime on Friday, though.

At 6/26/11 05:46 PM, LazyPint wrote: Well I'm being lame and dropping out of this, I really want to buy a car so can't really be wasting money on fun things anymore.

Just Glasgow and Iceland ;-)

Ah well, hopefully you can make it to whatever England meet we'll have next year. As for Glasgow, I'm still counting out on that, even if arrangements to Bloodstock didn't work out in the end.

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-06-26 19:38:14

I'm still a "probably".

Though if liljim is going to be there then I'll make more of an effort, I'd like to actually get a pint with him this time.

Also I need to meet teh Bahamuts

BBS Signature

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-06-30 19:18:07

I missed last year. I missed Bezman dancing.

Never again, I say! NEVER!

Response to NG London Meet VIII 2011 2011-06-30 19:24:13

So besides Ragnarokia, what other gay/bi men are going to this meet?

A truly prophetic sig...

BBS Signature