00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

squidmaster10 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results

10,491 Views | 191 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:06:53

Yes, we've taken a long time to get it done, yes we've had a few complaints, and yes we're very sorry for it, but we're glad to announce the winners of Round 1 of the Newgrounds Audio Deathmatch 2010!

The quality of submissions was even higher than I expected it to be. There were some superb tracks with very few problems in them, and I can safely say that there was no song which I didn't enjoy. That being said, I'm being way more harsh than last year. Lowest score I gave was a 6 and I only gave one 10 to the person who I think had the best submission this round.

Note that all the judges judged in a different manner. brokendeck only scored (and gave a few quick comments on each song in the PM he sent me, but he wants his comments to remain unknown by any participant), LogicalDefiance gave a score on every aspect of the song and created an average score for each submission, I wrote reviews and gave one score per submission, Pure-Metal-UTA wrote reviews, posted them on NG and gave one score per submission and finally, Darklight wrote reviews and scored different aspects of the song like LogicalDefiance did. Despite all these different judging styles, we still have a final result.

One thing to InvisibleObserver. Sorry to say you've been disqualified :(. We've still reviewed your song, but you used Hawking's voice in your submission, which as far as I know is against copyright rules. If you think we're wrong about it, then PM me or Darklight17 and we'll sort it out.

Some last thoughts; if you have any complaints about any of the judges, then PM me or Darklight17 (preferably Darklight17 so you can give him more work to do lolololol), unless it's a suggestion that you'd like to make about a particular judge's judging system. In that case PM the particular judge in question.

The results will be laid out like this:

Supersteph54's results.
Darklight17's results.
Pure-Metal-UTA's results.
LogicalDefiance's results.
brokendeck's results.
Final results.
List of who made it to Round 2.
Pairings.
Deadlines remaining.
Awkward silence while people read their results.
POST AWAY.

Just going clarify two things: firstly, the PM's will all be sent out tomorrow since Darklight has no time today. Secondly, since we had to delay for this round, we're readjusting the deadlines, so the deadlines in the main NGADM thread are now OBSOLETE.

Remember, post your submissions in THIS thread, and don't forget that the rules of the last round are still applicable for this round and all future rounds. Everything must be made in the two week period of this round, or in the 2 week period of the last round.

Lastly, I hope you enjoy the results. Please refrain from posting until I post the final results, pairings, deadlines and give the go-ahead. I'm going to be using my alts to post every judge's results (to avoid the rule of 4 posts in a thread per 30 minutes) since none of them seem to be on right now. By my alts, I mean DarkShadow166 and Raven-Guard. I'll make a new account if I need to.

And now, I bring you... THE RESULTS!

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:08:35

RESULTS - SUPERSTEPH54

1.) Kirbyfemur vs GronmonSE

SUMMARY: I'd have known you made it before hearing the first 2 seconds of it :P.

REVIEW:
An interesting track to say the least. I think it takes an amount of time before the listener can get 'into' the song and understand it. Definitely what I woudld call a Miscellaneous track, it's got so many quirky and weird sounds to it, and a very interesting and unforgettable melody in it. So much that I really don't mind listening to it repeatedly for a large amount of time (which is why I downloaded it).

One thing that seemed to stand out in this track would be the drums. They sound good and for a track in 7/4 time, and the beat isn't so hard to keep up with, but they sound out of place in this track. Like I said, the beats are very nice, but the drum samples themselves sound too distorted and DnB-like to sound good in a track like this. Also, the ending was nothing too special, I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, the sounds you used are very unique, and that piano's melodies are nice to listen to, but I can't seem to
enjoy the song as much as I would enjoy a 'normal' song. I think what you should do is keep that unique sound to your tracks, but make your sounds agree with each other more, if you get what I mean.

SCORE: 6/10

----------

SUMMARY: Nicely done.

REVIEW:
A calming song with a very light melody and a satisfying ending. I must say that this sounds really well done, and has a dreamy sound to it. It covers quite a wide range of the spectrum. The high piano and cymbals contrast with the bassey ambiance in the background.

The atmosphere is obviously very well done, and for such a soft song, the drums fit rather well. One small thing which bothers me is that the reverse cymbal at 2:16 is way to loud and I think it could benefit with a bit more reverb. Still, I think my main problem with this would be that it's not something I'd want to listen to again, and even in some parts I started to get a bit bored of it.

It works perfectly as background music, I'm sure, but as a standalone song, this isn't something I'd enjoy listening to for a lengthy amount of time. I think some more powerful buildups, some subtle sounds here and there, and more variety would definitely help, and maybe the introduction of a new instrument towards the end would help as well. Still, a very nice and relaxing song overall!

SCORE: 8/10

--------------------

2.) callitsleep89 vs mr-jazzman

N/A

--------------------

3.) UncleSqueezins vs Dj-Abbic

SUMMARY: Nice melodies.

REVIEW:
Great track! It's not common for you to see such cool melodies in Dubstep songs, and that combined with some excellent transitions and creative effects makes this quite a memorable song. It's nicely varied, has some cool sounds, and there isn't much wrong with it. Nice job.

You paid a lot of attention to detail in this track. The effect at 0:03, the quick reverse effect before the fourth snare hit in the drum beat, the filtering at 0:53, the excellent glitching at the end and of course the awesome part at 1:47 are just a few examples. The intro is also superb. My one gripe with this would be that lead. It sounds out of place and simply put, annoying. Still, the wobbling on it was nicely done.

The lead is basically the only problem I have with this. I'd complain about the slightly uninteresting ending, but that's just personal preference. Keep up the good work!

SCORE: 9/10

----------

SUMMARY: Had this on loop for quite a while...

REVIEW:
I've been listening to this for quite a while, but I haven't got tired of it yet. The melodies grow on you easily, and the synths sound bright and don't cut into the mix too much but are still clearly and easily heard. You've definitely stepped it up for the NGADM :P.

The intro was fantastic and had a really nice sound to it. A perfect transition to the plucks that start at 0:29 was just icing to the cake. You kept relatively the same style till around the two minute marker where you completely changed styles. I think this change was too drastic, to be honest. It sounds like you started a whole new song. The transition to it was very plain, and almost abrupt. Still, the part that followed was very cool, if not repetitive. I liked the key change though.

Anyway, overall, this is a very cool track. Tthis is definitely something I'm downloading. Just work on getting those two sections of the song fit together more, perhaps by adding a few more elements from the first section to the second section to keep the song sounding whole and not two songs attached together. Keep up the good work.

--------------------

4.) xKore vs SteakJohnson

SUMMARY: Impressive, especially for a minute.

REVIEW:
I never knew just one minute would sound so awesome. The composition is good, the mix is brilliant, and basically the whole thing sound extraordinary, and it's a really creative approach to Dubstep. Nice job.

What stands out in this would be the percussion. The rhythm of the kick was really cool, the cymbals fit perfectly, and the snare, while slightly too soft, sounds very powerful and perfect for a submission like this. The production is, naturally, outstanding. Obviously the biggest problem with this would be its length. This sounds like it could be expanded so much more, and a result of that it has quite an abrupt and unexpected ending.

I think this could easily be turned into a full song. There's not much wrong with it as it is now but it sounds so limited because of its length. Got to say though, that's not stopping me from giving you a good score. Keep it up!

----------

SUMMARY: Epic.

REVIEW:
I've got to say, I really hate this type of DnB, but there's no denying that this is well done. Despite it leaning a bit towards the short site, this is still a really cool submission. xKore sure has a formidable opponent.

The bass was dirty and all over the place, and fit perfect with those drums. Speaking of those, I love the sound of that snare and the kick sounds really good too. The 'weird stringy things' were actually quite interesting, and have a sort of futuristic sound to them. I just have two problems with this track. One is that the ending is very abrupt and weird, and the other problem is that I think the song needs to build up more tension. You did a good job of that in the various break transitions such as the ones at 0:32 and 0:47, but I think a part somewhere in the middle/towards the end where the song goes quite except for some soft percussion and a kick beat would really build up the tension, before you can let it all out in an epic climax.

Anyway, I'm done complaining. This sounds really cool, and other than the two issues I have in the song, this is pretty much perfect in my opinion. Excellent work!

--------------------

Results continue in the next post...

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:09:53

At 10/9/10 02:08 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:

5.) MrFijiWiji vs SessileNomad

SUMMARY: Very relaxing.

REVIEW:
Wow, a whole six minutes. It's clear that you worked really hard on this, and the end result was definitely worth it. This is just so easy to listen to and it's very progressive. I must say that even though progressive trance isn't one of my favourite genres, I still enjoyed this.

Rhythmically, this song is flawless. Aside from some generic rhythms here and there, there were some very cool rhythms, such as the rhythm of the melody (which, by the way, was very cool) at 1:28, the rhythm of that nice effect at 3:11 or the rhythm of that quiet conga-like thing at the beginning. I think that this vast amount of different rhythms was one of the best things of this. The piano part that came in somewhere around the four minute marker was also impressive and the piano fit better than I thought it would.

There are just two things which I think need improvement in this submission. Firstly, this sounds quite generic to be honest. The sounds you used aren't particularly original, and some parts in the song are quite generic, such as the beginning. It's hard to make progressive trance not sound generic though, so I won't complain too much about that. One thing which I will complain about, however, would be that at times the song sounds empty. Some parts don't cover as much of the spectrum as much as I would've wanted them to, and some parts really need some subtle synth in the background to help out with the depth (for example at 2:12).

That being said, this track is awesome. It kept me interested till the end, which is an impressive feat considering that this is over six minutes long. Keep it up.

----------

SUMMARY: Far from your best, unfortunately.

REVIEW:
While I prefer your IDM submissions way more, I suppose this isn't too bad. It's quite a good length, and has some good aspects to it, although if you do make it past this round, please continue with your godly IDM style :P.

I think the best thing about this would be the melodies. They aren't easy to forget and are very catchy, especially the melody at the beginning. The percussion was pretty good too, despite it being mostly a percussive hit per beat. One interesting thing which I noticed would be the parts at 0:43-ish and around 3:00. You literally drowned those parts in reverb to make the transition, and while it was somewhat painful to my ears, it still sounded pretty cool for some reason. Cool vocals too.

Anyway, having said all that, the lead you used at the beginning and towards the end was very ear-piercing, and the hardstyle saw lead was very generic. Also, some parts sounded random such as the part at 4:22 where the sweep thing suddenly stopped quite anti-climatically. Finally, I think the song is way too loud.

All in all, this is quirky and a decent hardstyle submission, but it's still quite ear-piercing and random, unfortunately, and needs some work. Anyhow, pretty good job nevertheless.

--------------------

6.) Bjra vs EbonHawk7X

N/A

--------------------

7.) Skela vs Mussirus

SUMMARY: Wow...

REVIEW:
How the heck do you do stuff like this in only 2 days? I mean seriously. Production is pristine, the sounds are all chosen extremely well, the drums sound fantastic. Damn... you're good.

This is just so full of action. Has some very cool sounds, excellent drums (if not a bit generic) and a ridiculously catchy melody. This starts well with an intro that plays the bassline that's used throughout the song. The drums come in and at this point I'm really enjoying this song. At 0:56 the song calms down a little, and I think this part was a nice touch. The transition at 1:22 was awesome, too, and throughout the song I heard many cool sound effects complimenting the melodies. However, two complaints. Firstly, this song got very repetitive. Sure, there was a tonne of sound effects and stuff to keep the song interesting, but I would've loved a few, say, subtle changes on the bassline, or another melody layered on top of what you already have. Lastly, the ending sucked :P.

Anyway, that's all I have to say about this. You clearly know what you're doing with producing music, and you do it well, so keep it up!

----------

SUMMARY: Awesome intro.

REVIEW:
I'm glad you got your internet connection when you did. Here's another superb track by you. Starts off with a slow intro, builds up to a nice melody, plays relatively the same style and then the song ends. A cool song, nice work.

The melodies are nicely done. Well, they should be, since they're basically one of the most important things in this particular genre. What I liked about this is that at times you played one melody with one instrument, and a different one with another. Provided such a nice effect. Now, for the stuff that can be improved; firstly I think that the song could have a lot more depth. Maybe at 0:41 you could add another layer of strings. Secondly, I don't like the transition at 1:02. It almost splits the song into two different songs, and a smoother transition would be better in my opinion. Also, I'm not a fan of the ending either. It's not that abrupt, but it just ends the song too... well :P. What I mean is, if you want this to fit with the name, I think a fade out and a final really soft/high note with the piano (possibly a slight ritardando too) would provide a much better effect. Memories fade away, in fact; they don't just end. Lastly, the song is a bit short :(.

I mentioned a number of different problems that I think can be fixed in this track, but heck, it doesn't take a genius to notice that this song is really well-made. Excellent work!

--------------------

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:11:23

8.) SineRider vs nubbinownz

SUMMARY: Nice job.

REVIEW:
This is a good track. The atmosphere is very dreamy and light, and it's easily something I can sleep to. While this does have a few problems, you've obviously put a good amount of effort into it and it sure did pay off.

The melodies are very good. They sound so mystical and fit perfectly in the song. The guitar surprisingly sounds very good too. Actually, all of the sounds were great. The pads were amazing, and the synths carrying the melodies were sublime. Transitions were all perfectly executed too, and the intro and outro were flawless.

Now, I have two main gripes with this song. Firstly, the drums sound somewhat out of place. At times they seem like they're off-sync or don't fit at all with the melodies that are playing, and also they are pretty repetitive. I think you should use the drums, but not throughout almost the whole song. However, reversing the drum beat at the end was really cool. Anyway, the second problem that I have with this is that I think it has too much reverb in it in my opinion. It surely makes the song sound dreamy, but at times it makes the song hard to keep track of.

Overall, this is a very, very nice track. The sounds all fit together so nicely (except the drums) and the production is great too. An enjoyable ambient song.

----------

SUMMARY: It does sound a bit rushed to be honest...

REVIEW:
...but I still think it's a very enjoyable song, with some awesome drums, and for six hours of work, I'm really impressed. I'm suddenly starting to wish your computer hadn't crashed,
haha.

Like I said, the drums were great. It's obvious that you spent a nice amount of time perfecting them. They fit so well with the song. I especially like the sound of the snare at 0:57, although I can't help but think that it sounds a bit too dry and could benefit from some high end reverb. Also, the kick is a slight bit too powerful, but then again that's probably just me. Anyway, long story short, the drums were amazing. As for the song itself, unfortunately it sounds quite empty. Sometimes you have as little as one instrument playing the melody accompanied by the drums. Even though the melodies themselves were nicely done, I still think this would benefit with a bit more depth to it.

I, again, must say that those drums are amazing. I think that's what stands out so much in this track. The way I see it, the main defect with this would be that it sounds empty, and at times a bit rushed, but heck, I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Nice work.

--------------------

9.) Bosa vs Spikrodd

N/A

--------------------

10.) borntodj167 vs AMP

SUMMARY: Nice mix.

REVIEW:
Hm, this is quite an interesting track. You have a variety of different sounds, yet the mix still says crisp and clear, if not slightly overdosed in reverb. An all-around decent submission!

I think the best thing of this track would be its vast amount of different sounds and instruments. I'm going to start by saying that I LOVED the guitar. It fit so perfectly in this track and served as a nice background. The addition of bongoes was interesting, although I would've liked a bit more of a complex rhythm on them, and maybe some different rhythms throughout the song. Speaking of the percussion, the drums fit rather well. The snare sounded nice, and even though it might sound slightly too harsh for a laid-back song like this, it fit better than I expected. Finally, the intro was fantastic and the ending was alright too.

Now for my complaints. While this does have a nice melody to it, I don't think it goes anywhere. No parts really stand out, and when the song finishes I don't find anything interesting to remember it by (other than, admittedly, that guitar). I think making some more interesting parts such as a few solos or some more interesting transitions will definitely help. In addition to that, I think the piano didn't fit at all at 2:16. It sounded fine in the rest of the song, but at 2:16 it sounded bland and stuck out too much in my opinion.

So yeah, I think that the fact that the song never turned into anything that caught my interest would be the main problem of this submission. It's a good submission with nice sounds and I enjoyed it, but this isn't something I'd want to listen to more than a few times.

----------

SUMMARY: Catchy.

REVIEW:
Wow, an interesting approach. A catchy melody with a very slightly scary theme to it played in a club-like manner. I've got to say, this is quite a memorable and interesting track. Good work!

The song starts with a nice atmospheric intro, and a few seconds in, a very 'familiar'-sounding melody starts playing. At first I'm thinking it's going to be some ambient track, but then when the heavy saw synths kick in, I was surprised, and impressed! Loved the part at 1:16, too. I'm not one to enjoy songs like this, but heck, the melody's catchy, the production is superb, the transitions are smooth (and there's a really awesome one at 2:05), the synths are nicely chosen and the intro and outro are both cool. Just one thing which needs work, and that's the variety of melodies. You had one melody for the whole near-3 minutes that this song plays for, with just a few very subtle changes here and there. Would've loved to hear more melodies.

But aside from the fact that this needs more melodies, it's a very nice song. Definitely different from your usual work, and I enjoyed it. Keep up the good work.

--------------------

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:12:52

11.) aliaspharow vs InvisibleObserver

SUMMARY: Great mixing!

REVIEW:
This is so awesome to listen to. Spectacular sounds, cool composition and the nicest mix I've heard in a while. I'm literally TRYING to find something wrong with it. Good work.

While I think you could have done a lot more with the melody, like evolve it into counter-melodies or layer different melodies on top of it, I think the melody is very well made, and the trance plucks were perfect for it. The pads were very atmospheric too, and fit perfectly. I can't help but think that you could've made the high end of the drums a bit less rough though, and possibly increase the mid/low end, since they do sound a bit harsh right now. That being said, I liked the ambient part, but I think I'll have to agree with Pure-Metal about the fact that it drags on for a bit too long. Don't get me wrong, it sounds awesome, but you could've made it a little shorter, or maybe introduce some new drum beats somewhere in the middle of it, and slowly introduce new sounds/synths.

Having said all that, this song is extraordinary. Amazing sounds, great mixing, and a nice melody too. Work a little more on changing the main melody a bit, perhaps EQing the drums a bit more and making the ambient part a bit shorter and/or more interesting. Other than those minor problems, I loved it!

----------

SUMMARY: A lot of attention to detail.

REVIEW:
Wow, the detail you put into this submission is really quite astounding. I'm hearing so much variety put into this submission, and so many different sounds playing at seemingly random times but keeping perfectly to the rhythm. This is awesome.

First thing I noticed was how well mixed this piece is. I'm hearing everything very clearly, despite so many different sounds being used. The sounds you used were all really cool, and give this song a spacey and light atmosphere. The drums were quite dry and a b it rough, but for some reason they fit nicely. You had many different sections in this to keep it interesting, such as the various drum glitching (for example at 2:42) and the ambient-like part at 3:14. The song never got too random and towards the end you repeated some elements which you used in the beginning, which gave this song a nice, solid structure. So yeah, TL;DR: this is very well-made.

My only complaint is that since the song stretches on for a whole six minutes, you could've used different drum kits at times. The beats were varied and I'm hearing many different rhythms, both complex and simple, but the drum sounds remained the same for the whole song. Maybe you could introduce a secondary drum kit which plays similar beats that the first plays, somewhere towards the middle of the song or something.

That being said, this is one hell of a good song. Keep it up!

Score: 9/10

--------------------

12.) varrin7 vs CKC2009

SUMMARY: Great, but a lot of room for improvement.

REVIEW:
Like I said in the summary, this is a good track, but to be honest I think it has potential to be so much better, and if you expand on it more, I think it could turn out to be a lot better.

The melodies are nicely done and so is the harmony. This has quite a soundtrack-like sound to it, atually. Unfortunately, it has a number of defects in my opinion. Firstly, I think it definitely lacks depth. The way I see it, this could be a lot more enjoyable if it had some string chords in the background. Secondly, I think the transition at 0:40-ish isn't so good. In my opinion, a gradual crescendo would be much more effective and much smoother than just suddenly increasing the volume. In addition, I'll be generic and also say that this needs percussion, especially later on in the song. Finally, I definitely think this could be longer.

I know that my review consists almost entirely of complaining about the problems that this song has, but still, I enjoyed this track quite a bit. It has a tonne of potential to be a better track, but all in all this was fun to listen to. Keep it up.

SCORE: 7/10

----------

SUMMARY: Quite cinematic.

REVIEW:
Not bad at all. First thing I noticed was how well this fits with the name. It has such a revolutionary sound to it, and it's very enjoyable. A powerful song, nice job.

One thing that really stands out in this piece would be the epic percussion. Its marching style fits perfectly in this submission, and for some reason the delay on some of the various percussion surprisingly fit quite nicely. The melodies are cool as well, and I loved the background strings. Finally, the transition at 0:36 is perhaps one of the best transitions I've heard in a long while.

Now, the main problem with this submission is that it sounds a bit predictable or rather, repetitive.
This may be bevause some parts last for longer than I think they should, and as a result make this song drag on for quite a while. Take the intro, for example. You kept it going for quite a long time, when I think it would've been fine if it finished at 0:20. the brass melody at the end was repeated quite a lot as well, in my opinion. Also, the song sounds a bit artificial. Some humanizing would make it sound so much better. Stuff like more instruments playing different things in the background, more varied dynamics, etc... can really give this a realistic feel to it, and it provides a much more powerful effect.

All in all, I like this piece quite a lot. Has a few defects, true, but it's epic, powerful and you've evidently put a lot of work into it. Keep up the good work, man.

--------------------

I am Step's alt.

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:14:00

14.) dj-Nate vs Chronamut

SUMMARY: Impressive

REVIEW:
A dubstep and ambient hybrid? Well, it's quite an original idea. I'm hearing a lot of dubstep elements throughout the song, but some ambient influences as well. Good stuff.

One thing I particularly liked would be the drums. Despite them being dubstep drums, they fit really nicely with some of the more ambient-like elements. The kick was nice and deep and the snare was superb. A good variety of different drum rhythms too. The mix was sublime and the melodies were pretty decent as well. The only thing which I didn't like about this submission would be that it can get quite repetitive. Some patterns were repeated quite a few times and while the background was nicely varied, I think the foreground has a lot of room for more variety.

In all, this is quite an enjoyable song. All I think this could improve in would be variety, but this is still a great submission.

----------

SUMMARY: Sorry, not your best.

REVIEW:
In my honest opinion, I thinky you have loads of tracks which are better than this. Sure, it's OK, but I kind of set a high standard for you :P. Still, it's not a bad song, pretty enjoyable overall, AND DAMN YOU I CAN'T GET THIS SONG OUT OF MY HEAD.

The melodies aren't easy to forget (see above). They sound quite unique, as are the sounds you used. Not only that, but the song is well-mastered too, although I can't help but think that some sounds drown each other out at times. Also, unfortunately, the song sounds very dry and the rought sounds you used only make it worse. The melodies, although quirky and hard to forget, aren't really that interesting. The drums are good but got repetitive. Finally, the ending didn't sound so good.

I've not got much to say about this. It's a unique-sounding track, but I think you surely have potential to do a lot better. Hey, maybe you can take a shot at dubstep sometime :P. But yeah, an all-around decent song.

--------------------

15.) dj-Jo vs Flashburn

SUMMARY: Crazy... Maybe too crazy?

REVIEW:
Hm... I can safely say it's one of the more action-packed songs submitted to the NGADM. Not that it's a bad thing, since I've got to admit, I enjoyed this. It's mastered well, has a cool storyline, sounds epic, what more could I ask for?

The main, let's say, 'attraction' of this song would clearly be the shamisen instrument, which gives the submission a sort of asian theme to it. It's an original idea and while it may have been almost overused, it fit nicely. The various shamisen solos were really cool, and the commposition was great. Oh and dude, the transition at 0:46 is just epic. Gave me goosebumps just hearing it :P. The drum beats were nicely varied too, although I think the snare rhythms did start to get a bit random at times - that's probably just me though.

Now to start complaining. The way I see it, the closer the song got to the end, the worse it got, mainly because of the tempo change which turned the song into a super hyper noisefest or something :P. I mean, the intro was brilliant and started the song very nicely, the part with the vocals was superb and the song was progressing really well, but I'm afraid I started to lose interest by 2:30 or so. Could be just me, I don't know. By the way, I don't like the snare. Sounds too distorted, and almost sounds like white noise. One last thing - I think the vocals could have been a bit clearer. They were pretty clear at the beginning, but then started getting drowned out.

Anyhow, complaining aside, this is a very cool song. Awesome intro, good melodies, epic transitions, interesting use of the shamisen and an all-around fantastic submission. Keep it up!

----------

SUMMARY: Well done.

REVIEW:
This is a calm and repetitive song, but still enjoyable. I must admit that I never really got bored listening to this, despite its occasional lack of variety. I mean, I've been listening to it for a good 10-15 minutes now :D.

It starts with quite a long intro. Very progressive and a long buildup. This sort of makes the transition when the drums come in at 1:39 very... satisfying if you get what I mean. So yeah, you've got to love that intro. The sweep you did was a bit ear-piercing though :P. Anyway, after the cool transition at 1:39, the song continues in roughly the same style until 3:20-ish and then the song ends a bit later. Throughout the song I heard some awesome synths and sounds too, so nice work over there.

However, like every other song, this has its defects. The drums weren't so interesting, to be honest. A kick and shaker beat played in a generic rhythm for the whole song; there's a lot of room for variety over here. Not only that, but I think the ambient part at the end felt like it came out of nowhere. I mean, he whole song had a recurring style to it, except the end where that pad comes in and eventually ends the song in an unexpected ending. Maybe you could move that part to the middle of the song, and try and fit it in with smooth transitions, and then end the song in a similar way that you started it with, perhaps using that long sweep you used at 1:39 at the very end too.

Those two defects are all I can think of. I seriously enjoyed this song quite a lot, so you get a good score from me!

--------------------

16.) HighBallers vs deathkllr84

N/A

Now for Darklight17's results.

I am Step's alt.

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:15:36

At 10/9/10 02:14 PM, DarkShadow166 wrote:
Now for Darklight17's results.

RESULTS - DARKLIGHT17

Timbre On The Walls, by Kirbyfemur
Type: Song
Genre: Miscellaneous

REVIEW:
Not bad i guess. Its a well produced song, that can't be denied. You've got high quality sounds being used and some high quality melodies being played, and

the drum line was very very good. However, it was a bit too random for my tastes, especially the intro. Now i get that this is you style, and i respect you

for that cause this is definetely something original, but i cant say im a big fan of discordancy in any of its forms. Other than that, the only other thing i

can really complain about was the lack of depth to the piece, there was no definite background to give it a strong backdrop. The Outro was decent enough. So

overall, you've got a decent song, but there are still some things that need a lot more work.

SCORE:
Intro = 1/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 2.5/3
Bass = 1/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

----------

Time To Let Go, by GronmonSE
Genre: Ambient

REVIEW:
Ambient at its best. I like the clean feel this has to it. It has a really calming soothing precense, the piano provides a nice relaxing melody with an

interesting pad backdrop to top it all off. The piano however, could have made use of more reverb, giving it a deeper feel. The drums were quite decent too,

but slightly repetitive in some parts. Overall blend and depth was great, those pads did their job well. I particularly love the introduction, with that nice

pad background and the piano coming in to build up. Transitions werent as smooth as i'd have liked, so maybe you could work on that. The outro could use some

more work too, as it was slightly too abrupt.

All in all, a great effort, and a song with much potential.

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 1/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 2.5/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2.5/3
Drums = 1.5/2
Melodies = 3.5/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

--------------------

N/A

--------------------

Uprising, by UncleSqueezins
Genre: Dubstep

REVIEW:
Not a bad effort. It definetely shows that you put tonnes of work into this. The intro was particularly great, those strings/pads really worked well in

setting off the overall atmosphere. The intro was however a bit too long, but the transition into the main section was great. The main section too was

superb, a nice glitchy drum line, with a good melody as well. More depth and a stronger bass line would have been better however, as the bass is a bit weak

in my opinion. I particularly like the faint piano line as that gave some more depth to the piece. The outro was decent, although a fade out is getting a bit

overused these days. Nevertheless, this song is quite good, it did get a bit repetitive though, especially the drums, but other than that i think its got

great potential. Good work.

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 1/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 2.5/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 1/2
Melodies = 3.5/4
--------------------
Score = 15/20 = 7.5/10

----------

NGADM Round 1, by DjAbbic
Genre: House

REVIEW:
Good, but repetitive. The intro was a great start off, it caught my attention instantly. It had a brilliant build up and a fair amount of depth. The

transition into the main section was superb, with a nice smooth switch. Drum work however, is sadly lacking. At the start its just basically a kick, nothing

more, nothing less. Now this would be fine if it became something else, but it stayed this way for most of the whole song. Another thing i noticed was that

the same melody was repeated several times before it modulated and changed, and this got a bit repetitive in some sections. The outro was however pretty well

worked out, with a nice cut off to the music. Overall, this is a decent piece, its got potential, but more work, espceially on the drums, would make is a lot

better.

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 1/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

--------------------

Last Chance, by xKore

REVIEW:
Simply fantastic. I have nothing much to say against this. Its juse one of those songs that you simply have to love, whether or not you like that genre. The

intro immiedetely sets off the piece with a nice short buildup. The faint drums and building melody with that glitchy voice in the background really worked

to the song's advantage here. The central bit of the song was every bit as great as the introduction, with a nice climax and some great depth. A bit more

bass would have been better, but it didn't really distract much from the overall vibey feel to the music. The only thing i can really complain about was its

length. I think this song had great potential and making it longer would definetely have made it better. As a result you got a short, albeit amazing, piece

of music, with a relatively abrupt ending. But overall, its an original, non repetitive piece, with fantstic drums, transitions and melodies.Great job!

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 1/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 4/4
--------------------
Score = 19/20 = 9.5/10

----------

Echo City, by SteakJohnson
Genre: Drum N Bass

REVIEW:
Oooh, Glitchy...Well this definetely caught my attention. The drums were the real highlight of this piece, as they're basically the only thing that can be

heard. They were decent enough, nice and fast, and mostly energetic and with a great rhytm. As for the Bass, it was good in the bits were it actually could

be heard, but in most of the song, it was jut completely overpowered by the drums. Intro and Outro weren't that good either, especially the wierd strings in

the intro, and also the abrupt ending. Transitions were quite smooth however, and i can't say that it was a repetitive song. Overall, if this had more of a

melody line and more depth, besides the drums, this would have been a great song. Not a bad job though!

SCORE:
Intro = 1.5/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 1/2
Transitions = 2/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 2/4
--------------------
Score = 15/20 = 7.5/10

--------------------

I am Step's alt.

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:20:15

At 10/9/10 02:15 PM, DarkShadow166 wrote: RESULTS - DARKLIGHT17

Aw crap, notepad messed up his results. Let me repost them properly.

Timbre On The Walls, by Kirbyfemur

REVIEW:
Not bad i guess. Its a well produced song, that can't be denied. You've got high quality sounds being used and some high quality melodies being played, and the drum line was very very good. However, it was a bit too random for my tastes, especially the intro. Now i get that this is you style, and i respect you for that cause this is definetely something original, but i cant say im a big fan of discordancy in any of its forms. Other than that, the only other thing i can really complain about was the lack of depth to the piece, there was no definite background to give it a strong backdrop. The Outro was decent enough. So overall, you've got a decent song, but there are still some things that need a lot more work.

SCORE:
Intro = 1/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 2.5/3
Bass = 1/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

----------

Time To Let Go, by GronmonSE

REVIEW:
Ambient at its best. I like the clean feel this has to it. It has a really calming soothing precense, the piano provides a nice relaxing melody with an interesting pad backdrop to top it all off. The piano however, could have made use of more reverb, giving it a deeper feel. The drums were quite decent too, but slightly repetitive in some parts. Overall blend and depth was great, those pads did their job well. I particularly love the introduction, with that nice pad background and the piano coming in to build up. Transitions werent as smooth as i'd have liked, so maybe you could work on that. The outro could use some more work too, as it was slightly too abrupt.

All in all, a great effort, and a song with much potential.

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 1/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 2.5/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2.5/3
Drums = 1.5/2
Melodies = 3.5/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

--------------------

N/A

--------------------

Uprising, by UncleSqueezins

REVIEW:
Not a bad effort. It definetely shows that you put tonnes of work into this. The intro was particularly great, those strings/pads really worked well in setting off the overall atmosphere. The intro was however a bit too long, but the transition into the main section was great. The main section too was superb, a nice glitchy drum line, with a good melody as well. More depth and a stronger bass line would have been better however, as the bass is a bit weak in my opinion. I particularly like the faint piano line as that gave some more depth to the piece. The outro was decent, although a fade out is getting a bit overused these days. Nevertheless, this song is quite good, it did get a bit repetitive though, especially the drums, but other than that i think its got great potential. Good work.

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 1/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 2.5/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 1/2
Melodies = 3.5/4
--------------------
Score = 15/20 = 7.5/10

----------

NGADM Round 1, by DjAbbic

REVIEW:
Good, but repetitive. The intro was a great start off, it caught my attention instantly. It had a brilliant build up and a fair amount of depth. The transition into the main section was superb, with a nice smooth switch. Drum work however, is sadly lacking. At the start its just basically a kick, nothing more, nothing less. Now this would be fine if it became something else, but it stayed this way for most of the whole song. Another thing i noticed was that the same melody was repeated several times before it modulated and changed, and this got a bit repetitive in some sections. The outro was however pretty well worked out, with a nice cut off to the music. Overall, this is a decent piece, its got potential, but more work, espceially on the drums, would make is a lot better.

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 1/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

--------------------

Last Chance, by xKore

REVIEW:
Simply fantastic. I have nothing much to say against this. Its juse one of those songs that you simply have to love, whether or not you like that genre. The intro immiedetely sets off the piece with a nice short buildup. The faint drums and building melody with that glitchy voice in the background really worked to the song's advantage here. The central bit of the song was every bit as great as the introduction, with a nice climax and some great depth. A bit more bass would have been better, but it didn't really distract much from the overall vibey feel to the music. The only thing i can really complain about was its length. I think this song had great potential and making it longer would definetely have made it better. As a result you got a short, albeit amazing, piece of music, with a relatively abrupt ending. But overall, its an original, non repetitive piece, with fantstic drums, transitions and melodies.Great job!

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 1/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 4/4
--------------------
Score = 19/20 = 9.5/10

----------

Echo City, by SteakJohnson

REVIEW:
Oooh, Glitchy...Well this definetely caught my attention. The drums were the real highlight of this piece, as they're basically the only thing that can be heard. They were decent enough, nice and fast, and mostly energetic and with a great rhytm. As for the Bass, it was good in the bits were it actually could be heard, but in most of the song, it was jut completely overpowered by the drums. Intro and Outro weren't that good either, especially the wierd strings in the intro, and also the abrupt ending. Transitions were quite smooth however, and i can't say that it was a repetitive song. Overall, if this had more of a melody line and more depth, besides the drums, this would have been a great song. Not a bad job though!

SCORE:
Intro = 1.5/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 1/2
Transitions = 2/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 2/4
--------------------
Score = 15/20 = 7.5/10

--------------------

I am Step's alt.

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:21:28

Subconscious, by MrFijiWiji
Genre: Trance

REVIEW:
A very interesting song. Production is great, instrument choice is great, blend is decent and depth is good. As a trance song, and a progressive one at that, it has to be repetitive, but it was a bit TOO repetitive for my tastes. I was stuck listening to much of the same melody over and over and over again, which got a bit boring. The least you could've done was vary the background around a bit, that would have made it a bit more interesting for a listener. Other than that, i can't really such much more. A great piece, from intro to outro. Nice work!

SCORE:
Intro = 1.5/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 1/2
Transitions = 2/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 15/20 = 7.5/10

--------------------

Music is an Expression, by SessileNomad
Genre: Dance

REVIEW:
Ouch thats nice. The intro caught my ear right from the start. The vocals started it off well, so nice call on those. Its also a pretty interesting buildup, but it is a bit too long, so that put me off a bit. The lack of real percussion was also a bit of a let down. I ussually look forward to hearing your glitchy drums, but the constant driving bass beat wasnt exactly the same and i cant say that i liked it that much. As a song, its a tad repetitive, mostly the first part. The rest is decently worked out and layed out. Overall, its a pretty good song, energetic in some parts, calm in others. I can say that it kept me listening to the very end. Nice work!

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 2/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 0/2
Melodies = 4/4
--------------------
Score = 17/20 = 8.5/10
--------------------

6.) Bjra vs EbonHawk7X

N/A

--------------------

7.) Skela vs Mussirus

NGDM #1, by Skela

REVIEW:
Pure wow. Fast paced is what comes to mind instantly here. Its a sheer tribute to energy. The intro got the song off with a fantastic start, and the flow from than on was pure greatness. Melodies got a bit repetitive every now and then, but other than that, i think i can honestly say that this song is perfect.
Drums and blend are really great, nothing tries to overpower something else and everything just seems to work together towards the climax, which, when it came, almost blew me over. Outro was fantastic too. Overall, great job, keep up the good work!

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 18/20 = 9/10

----------

Memories, by Mussirus

REVIEW:
Not bad at all. Its a great song thats for sure. I liked the way the instruments just seemed to blend in together, even if the samples werent of a particularly high quality. Unfortunately, the blend of the song was somewhat ruined by the overally bland drums, which besides being faint, were also a bit too repetitive. Also, a bit more variety could've been appreciated in the other parts of the song too. Intro and Outro were really good, despite being a bit too abrupt. Other than, that, this is a good song, decent quality but with a potential to be much more.

SCORE:
Intro = 1.5/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 1/2
Melodies = 4/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

--------------------

I Forgot in You, by SineRider

REVIEW:
Very soothing. Like most good ambient songs, it's very relaxing. The guitar at the start has a nice melody to it, but I felt like it kind of clashed with some of the chords you used. The delay and reverb on the drums is a nice touch to add, and the beat itself was well produced. The progressions are soothing. The arpeggios you used mix in quite nicely with the backround ambience. Intro was a nice starter, with a great transition into the main section. Outro had a bit of discordancy in some sectors, and that put me off a bit. Overall however, The instruments went well together, and the way you used the effects was great. A nice and calming song.

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 1/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 1/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

----------

Caught Off Gaurd, by nubbinownz

REVIEW:
Very interesting. I liked the "calm" intro. The staccatos with the delays gave it a great atmposphere, and the faint melody you brought in a bit later was great. I also liked the transition into the main section. I like the bass too, although it could have been more basey. Drums were a bit repetitive throughout, although they were pretty decent in terms of quality. One of the things which bugged me most though was the lack of depth to the music. One of the things i look for in a song is a deep feel to it, and that was sadly lacking in this. The melodies and transitions were great throughout though. The outro too was pretty good. Nice work.

SCORE:
Intro = 1.5/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 4/4
--------------------
Score = 17/20 = 8.5/10

--------------------

9.) Bosa vs Spikrodd

N/A

--------------------

10.) borntodj167 vs AMP

Endless Summer, by borntodj167

REVIEW:
Great work. This is a really good piece in my book, its got everything you need for a great piece, originality, atmosphere and superb melodies. I particularly like the variety of instruments playing throughout the piece, especially in the intro; which has a very calm feel. The eventual build up was great, with a nice transition into the modulated central section. I especially liked the guitar like instrument used in most of the song, as it gave some great depth. Drums however were the weak point in this. They could have used more work, and a more original drum line always makes the song much more interesting. On the top side though, you ended the piece off with a great outro, so plus points to you ;). Overall, a great song. You've got lots of potential in this genre. Good work!

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 2.5/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 1/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

----------

Creeper, by AMP

REVIEW:
Great work. Its amazing how alike this style of music is to your opponents. Both have a great flow, a great rhytm and both set up the atmosphere right from the very start. The melody did sound a bit familiar to something i had heard before, but i couldn't pinpoint it so maybe its just my imagination. The one thing that bugs me is that in some sections, you used the usual Axis of Awesome chord progression, which is the most overused chord in the world and while it can gaurantee that itll sound good, it sounds good at the high chance that your song will sound generic. Also, the song could have used more variation to it as it got a bit repetitive towards the end, which finished off with a decent outro though. Overall, great song. Good work!

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 2.5/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 1.5/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

--------------------

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:23:02

Breath (Alfa Mix), by aliaspharow

REVIEW:
Simply superb! Really orignal, it kept me listening throughout the song. I simply couldn't switch to another page until i'd heard all of it. I simply love that glitchy trance feel you employed in the beginning. In my opinion it started the song off brilliantly, and the transition into the pad part was great, and really original too. The pad section broke the flow of the music just enough to make it a fantastic bridge, and it also gave some variety to the overall piece, which is always good. The drums too were great throughout the piece, although in some bits they got slightly repetitive. The only thing i can complain about was that the bass line was a bit lacking. Other than that, this is a great song, right from the superb intro to the fantastic outro. Great job!

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 1/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 1.5/2
Melodies = 4/4
--------------------
Score = 18/20 = 9/10

----------

Age Old Question, by InvisibleObserver

REVIEW:
Nice and Unique. Like i said, the originality is what highlights this piece. It kept me interested right to the end, between a decent introduction and a fair outro. The glitchy effects were well worked out, and nothing skipped the limit of annoying. Drums were nice and original and kept out a nice rhytm for the whole piece. More blend would have made this better, and transitions could've used some more work too. Some cool climaxes worked well though and kept up a nice atmosphere throughout the piece. Not much of a melody line, but thats alright considering the genre (which basically states that you can do whatever the hell you want :P). Overall, a decent piece, interesting, but could use more work.

SCORE:
Intro = 1.5/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 2/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 3.5/4
--------------------
Score = 17/20 = 8.5/10

--------------------

12.) varrin7 vs CKC2009

NGADM-Week 1 Entry, by varrin7
Genre: Classical

REVIEW:
A great classical piece. The atmosphere is what really caught my ear in this piece. The tension was brilliantly highlighted through a great choice of instruments and a great use of those instruments. The voice was really well used too, and added a new layer of harmony to the piece. However, there are some things that bugged me a bit. First off, the overall depth of the piece was sadly lacking. The bass line was very faint and barely discernible. There were no instruments playing secondar melodies to give the music a deep feel. Secondly, the lack of drums in a piece like this is, in my opinion, a mistake. As a classical producer myself, i think that even the faintest drums can add some extra layers to the music and in this case, i'd say they were absolutely necessary. Dont get me wrong. Its a great piece, great production. The only thing is that it could use more work on the depth factor. Other than that, id say that is was relatively perfect. Nice modulation and transition. A more varied melody would have been better in this case too. Great job!

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 1/2
Transitions = 2.5/3
Bass = 1/2
Originality = 2.5/3
Drums = N/A (Marks given to melodies)
Melodies = 5/6
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

----------

CKC - Human Revolution, by CKC2009

REVIEW:
Brilliant. This a simply superb classical piece. The atmosphere you set off at the very start, with those nice synthy effects, was simply great. It caught my attention instantly. The whole piece has got a nice sense of tension throughout, and the brilliant choice of instruments does nothing but highlight that great sense of atmosphere. The voice was a nice afterthough, as it blended fairly well with the rest of the piece. The drums were well thought out and played, although they could have had a deeper feel to them, if you get what i mean. However, the song is sadly lacking in the depth factor, same as your opponent's.There were no instruments playing secondary contrasting melodies to give the music a deeper feel. Other than that, id say this was relatively perfect. Great job!

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2.5/3
Drums = 1.5/2
Melodies = 4/4
--------------------
Score = 18/20 = 9/10

--------------------

13.) SBB vs TheBenjerman

Marine Debris, by SBB

REVIEW:
Nice and soothing. I definetely got the feel you were going for. The atmosphere is what stands out most in this piece, that and the calming drums. The instrument choice was wierd, but it worked out well for this style of song. Everything seems to have its place, nothing tries to overpower anything else, everything just fits. The blend is simply perfect. The one thing i would have liked wouldve been more of a melody to give this piece somewhere to go to, if you get what i mean. Other than that, i think this is a great song, some slight issues, but very interesting and varied. Definetely something worth listening to.

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 2.5/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 2/4
--------------------
Score = 17/20 = 8.5/10

----------

Apotheoses, by TheBenjerman

REVIEW:
Now that's original. Its not common that you hear a song that came to life from common household instruments which actually sounds great. You not only managed that, but you actually gave it a real orchestral feel. Id really like to know how you made this, as its a very interesting and original idea. The depth to this piece is simply superb and the contrasting melodies playing in tune with each other gives it a great sense of atmosphere. The drums, although quite prominent at first, seemed a bit too faint later on, and got blocked out by the other instruments. The intro and outro were both quite good, and started and closed off the song in an excellent manner. Overall, great song and nice work!

SCORE:
Intro = 1.5/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 1/2
Melodies = 4/4
--------------------
Score = 18/20 = 9/10

--------------------

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:29:17

15.) dj-Jo vs Flashburn

Amatsumi, by dj-Jo

REVIEW:
Woah. This is a great piece even for the likes of you. From intro to outro, this piece is great in most of its aspects. Drums for one, are superb, nice and glitchy with a great rhytm. Melodies are also superb. The atmosphere of the song is very agressive and energetic, which fits in well with the story you wanted to portray. The transitions were sudden and unpredictable, which is great in a fast paced song like this one. Originality, well lets just say that describing this song as original would be an under statement. It was constantly changing, morphing into something new and exciting. I especially love that great speed burst towards the end and that crazy outro. The only thing that bugged me somewhat was the voice. It simply didnt sound epic enough to go with this voice. Id suggest morphing down its pitch so its sounds like one of those voices they use in movie trailers. Other than that, a really great song.

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 3/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 18/20 = 9/10

----------

Se Vengan-Las Luces, by Flashburn

REVIEW:
Very good production, but repetitive. I can't say that its a bad song, because its so obviously not. The intro was a bit faint to start off with, but the build up was great. However, it was LONG. Too long. You had the same melody repeating for quite some time. True, you had effects and such playing around it, but essentially its still the same melody and as a melody it needed to be changed. Variety is the key in songs, keep your listener interested. That matter aside, drums were well varied, and effects gave the music a really atmospheric feel. Outro was just as good as the intro and left me wishing that id had a bit more to listen too. Overall, this is a good song, i think i'm going to enjoy the afterlife ;)

SCORE:
Intro = 1.5/2
Outro = 1.5/2
Blend = 2/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 3.5/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 2/2
Melodies = 3.5/4
--------------------
Score = 17/20 = 8.5/10

--------------------

16.) HighBallers vs deathkllr84

N/A
--------------------

That's all of Darklight17's results. Here are brokendeck's:

Kirbyfemur vs GronmonSE
6/10 vs 10/10

callitsleep89 vs mr-jazzman
N/A

UncleSqueezins vs Dj-Abbic
6/10 vs 10/10

xKore vs SteakJohnson
6/10 vs 10/10

MrFijiWiji vs SessileNomad
10/10 vs 6/10

Bjra vs EbonHawk7X
N/A

Skela vs Mussirus
6/10 vs 7/10

SineRider vs nubbinownz
8/10 vs 7/10

Bosa vs Spikrodd
N/A

borntodj167 vs AMP
6/10 vs 10/10

aliaspharow vs InvisibleObserver
10/10 vs 0/10

varrin7 vs CKC2009
10/10 vs 4/10

SBB vs TheBenjerman
8/10 vs 6/10

dj-Nate vs Chronamut
7/10 vs 9/10

dj-Jo vs Flashburn
9/10 vs 7/10

HighBallers vs deathkllr84
N/A

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:30:58

RESULTS - PURE-METAL-UTA

SUMMARY: Pretty random, but it still had its good parts.

REVIEW: To start, I have to say the effect you put on the drums are actually pretty neat. It puts an interesting tone to the rest of the song I'd say. Once

you start putting in the rest of the instruments, it starts getting weird. The main melody between 0:31 and 1:12 is pretty random but yet it still seems like

it fits into the song, which I found to be pretty neat.The following parts still fit in there pretty well too, although it's a little bit random. The last

part, again, was pretty random. Using the drums with the effects as transitions perhaps could have been used less and a different way
to transition could have been used.

The instruments went very well together, although you could have maybe turned down the piano just a slight bit in order to be able to hear the other synths

better. But other than that, when all the instruments are present, it kinda reminds me of something I'd hear if I played Earthbound or Mother 3.

----------

SUMMARY: Very relaxing, but some slight adjustments to the instruments might make it better.

REVIEW: This is extremely relaxing, this would be something that I could sleep to at night. The arpeggios you use at the beggining and the end parts, are

nice, but they do get a slight bit repetitive. Although you do switch it up just before it gets overly repetitive. The melody is very nice, it's very

calming, but it can also seem to be very sad. Having the drums the way they do in the backround has a good effect in the way you're probably trying to

accomplish, and the parts where the drums are loud are good. But I do feel that the drums should have more places where they are louder. But that might mean

having to make the song longer too.

When it comes to the instruments, the choices you use for the main rhythm and melody are pretty good. I can't really say much more because I can't think of

anything more to say. I would say turn up the drums a bit more at more parts, but that's about it.

SCORE:

--------------------

SUMMARY: It's good, but there are definatley some mastering issues present

REVIEW: Perhaps you put a longer attack time on the string synths at the beginning, but it certainly seems to me that the bass drum at the beginning

overpowers the rest of the instruments. The rest of the song is definatley nothing I've ever heard from dubstep on youtube. The progessions you use on the

rhythm is good, and it fits the title very well. The piano during the main part I can tell is the melody, and it's a good melody, but it's too quiet, and the

rest of the instruments are overpowering it, especially the drums closer to the end.

SCORE: 7.5/10

----------

SUMMARY: Good beginning, but the second part gets repetitive.

REVIEW: At the begginning, I really like the effects you used to make it seem to bounce from headphone to headphone. The progression has a sad-ish feeling to

it, but it's also calming. The melody in the first part starts to put in a kind of happier tone in the sadness of it. At the part where the melody kicks in,

I start to notice a buildup effect that doesn't lead into something to make the buildup worth it. Then again, it's not as much of a buildup effect as the

part after has. As it gets into the main part of the song, The structure you put sounds believe it or not, heavy. Being the kind of person I am, I really

like the heavy effect. However I do feel that it drags on for awhile before the melody kicks in. But when it does, it's already close to the end of the song.

The melody at this part is pretty quiet at the start, but I see the effect you put in there. I like the effect the melody gives in the song near the end. But

in the end, I would have liked to see more melody in there.

Can't really say much regarding the mastering, it does seem good for the genre you chose for this song. The instruments you picked Also fit quite well. So

there's not much to say regarding this part.

--------------------

SUMMARY: Short, but sweet.

REVIEW: What is with overpowering bass in alot of these songs I hear? I'm certainly not used to it with metal. The bass does have a punch effect in it, which

I guess is considered a good thing with these genres. The beginning is nice and calm, and it builds up nice into the main part of
the song. The main part of the song is actually extremely enjoyable, I like the melody in the song alot... but it does seem too quiet. The progressions in

the rythm are also very good, and have a nice effect on the song. When it gets near the end, I feel that more could be added onto it, I can just hear a good

addition to be made. Even though this is your final entry, I'd try and add on and see what you can accomplish with this song.

Aside from the overpowered bass, which has a good effect with this song, the melody is pretty quiet. But the synths you chose are good and don't have a

conflicting effect on it.

SCORE: 8.5/10

----------

SUMMARY: Really fast paced, but hard to hear the progressions.

REVIEW: Seeing as how the song is, I feel it might be hard to review this. I personally feel that the drums are pretty much overpowering the rest of the

instruments. The rest of the instruments are underpowered by the drums, so it makes the progressions hard to hear and I don't hear much melody. Man I'm

finding it hard to review this. It's very fast paced, and I just hear alot of chaos. Sounds like something that you'd hear from an F-Zero game. So I'll say

this: With my knowledge, I would turn down the drums, and turn up the rhythm progressions. Other than that, for me, it's a song that's hard to distinct what

it is. But that's just with my knowledge, which has no experience in DnB.

----------

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:40:46

Here's my brand new alt since I ran out of alts. Inspired by the bastard who just voted on my track 'Eclipse'. Also sorry for notepad messing up the last post. I won't bother reposting it though, it's still readable right?

SUMMARY: There's moments where there's a good groove, but there's some note structure that kind of bothers me.

REVIEW: I have to say, the beginning I found was very slow moving and repetitive (just read the commentary so the repetitiveness is forgiven), once it hits 1:15 it starts to get on a better buildup. As it starts to get into it, I find that it's easy to get into a groove, the levels seem right, everything is hearable. The melody at 1:30 - 2:13 works nice, but although there's a noticeable buildup to the next part, there wasn't much for it to build up to. Trying to go past the repetitiveness of the following part, the ah's you use are pretty neat, and it works out pretty well with the piano. After that it's easy to get into a groove again. For the piano during this part, I would add just a bit more to the melody, and it could turn out to work pretty well. When it gets to the last minute of the song, I see that you use the melody from the first part, for this, you use same note setup, which I feel that it fits with the song, but those last notes don't move on to anything. For that, make those notes build up to a good conclusion.

Can't say too much about the levels, they seem pretty alright!

----------

SUMMARY: Good melodies, trippy effect, but the lack of percussion drives me away

REVIEW: I see what you did there at the beginning! Anyways, this is a pretty interesting intro/buildup, takes awhile, but I like how you add enough every little bit to keep me interested... Then it goes to the expression message, which is actually quite interesting. The part following, good melody, but bring it into something more faster. Once that's done, add more drums! The single beats seem to deter me from this, because I feel percussion is a big need in any song. Ignoring the lack of percussion, the melodies in the part are still good, and have a bit of a trippy effect to them. Those drums/percussions are needed though. I agree that music is an expression, but there's so many ways to express it! This is one of them, but there's so much more that could be done to enhance the expressionalism in this!

--------------------

7.) Skela vs Mussirus

SUMMARY: Extremely repetitive, but catchy!

REVIEW: One thing I look for in a song that has a lot of repetitiveness in it is that the artist adds a little bit onto the main idea every little bit to keep the listener interested. When I listened to this song, I noticed that you were starting to add onto it, but then you just left it. It was good that you made a transition in the song before the repetitiveness got excessive, but the transition didn't last long, and you went back to the first part, and didn't change much to it or add anything to it.
The only parts that didn't seem to repeat were the drums, which in a DnB song is vital, and the drums were really good for the song.
That being said, the song is still catchy and I still found myself bobbing my head to the beat of the song.
As for the levels, they were good! Nothing was overpowered and everything could be heard.
Good work!

----------

SUMMARY: Hooray for Imagery!

REVIEW: As soon as the song started playing, I felt a very strongly sad atmosphere in the song. The imagery that pops into my mind is that of a little orphan child being outside in the winter with nowhere to go, just being left to succumb to the cold.
I really enjoy pieces that create imagery in the song, though the imagery that came to mind didn't have much to do with memories, it still created some imagery.
I can't say anything about the levels, everything's hearable and nothing's overpowered.
Great work!

--------------------

SUMMARY: Calming, with its harder spots.

REVIEW: Like most ambient songs, it's very relaxing. The delay in the drums is a nice touch to add, and the beat itself if relatively simple. The clean guitar has a night melody to it, but I feel like it kind of clashes progressions you use. The second time you use that melody, it blends in much better. The progressions are soothing... The arpeggios used mix in quite nicely with the backround ambience. Near the end, the change in drum beat really threw me off, but it changed back which was kind of nice. The part that has the standalone piano-type sound has a weird fuzz to it, it made me think my Interface was screwing up.

The instruments went well together, you way you used the effects were quite well used. Although I'm a person that likes to hear more guitar if there is one, and I found that it was hard to hear the guitar in the later parts. But then again, everyone EQs differently. It's just a preffered style for me. Either way it still blends well with the song, and still succeeds in giving a nice calming effect in the song.

----------

SUMMARY: Epic, with a slight problem in the bass.

REVIEW: Very interesting beginning, good use of staccatos and delay in that part. I really like how it built up to the main part, because when it reached the main part, I found it's pretty epic. One thing though, the bass, it seems to be extremely quiet, and especially during the part between 1:25 to 1:50. The melody during that part it pretty nice, with an extremely slight repetitive tone to it. Besides the bass being a little quiet for my liking, it's well composed, and well put together. Not much I don't like about this song.
Good work!
Added note: I read your response and I understand, that won't change the review or the score because even then, the score you got is still pretty good... My headphones must suck at bass.

--------------------

10.) borntodj167 vs AMP

SUMMARY: Liking it alot, so serene.

REVIEW:
The beginning of this is really good, a nice blend of instruments, and I like the effect you used on the guitar. The feeling you create with this is very strong, it makes me imagine that I'm drinking at a beach side bar. The calm and serene atomsphere in the song is amazing. It's combined very well.
I honestly can't say much against this, so good work!

----------

SUMMARY: Repetitive, but still gives the effect it was trying to achieve

REVIEW: For some reason I knew that it would be hard to pick between you and your opponent. Just like his, your song creates the effect you're trying for from the beginning, and they're both EQ'd very well.
BUT for this, I hear a good amount of repetitiveness in the main progression. Change it up a bit, and you're set.

--------------------

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:42:02

SUMMARY: Good groove, a neat idea, but the slow part drags on.

REVIEW: I like how it gets right into the song, good beat and gets into the melody right away. Though I find it hard to hear any chord progressions until 0:50. Once here, it's nice and calm,
sounds like something someone would meditate to. This part does go on for a while however and after a bit, I'm urging for it to go back to the way it was. At about 2:05 you have an interesting
use of what I think is mixing the progression with the percussion, which I find to be kind of neat, but I feel it has some blending issues there. Once at 2:30 things are back to the first part, nice groove
going on, and then it just starts to build up gradually, which is always good IMO.
All in all, good melodies when there are, the slow part seems to drag on, and I like the what you did after the slow part.

----------

SUMMARY: Heartbeats for kicks is awesome, and you keep the listener interested

REVIEW: So to start off, how do you record your heartbeat? I can tell it's your heartbeat, but how'd you get it in a crisp quality? That's a pretty cool idea to use that. Anyways, so the beginning part is slow moving, but it has enough to keep the lister's grasp and keeps adding onto it. The glitchy effects you use as it goes on is pretty cool. The buildup following is great with the use of the violins in a chromatic fashion. But, it leads to nothing, I always like a buildup that leads
to something epic. The part following the talking is again slow moving, but still has enough to keep the listener interested. Therefore, the glitchy effects work quite well with the song, and you use enough to keep the listener interested. But once thing that gets me is the song doesn't
leave me questioning about lifeforms out of this planet.

--------------------

12.) varrin7 vs CKC2009

SUMMARY: Good, but doesn't lead anywhere

REVIEW: I like the beginning, it's very suspensful, it left me wondering where it'll lead on to. Once it hit 0:45 it has an uncanny resemblence to other classical songs I've heard. I don't like the lack of percussion, If you added percussion you could have made the piece so powerful.
Another thing to add would be that once it gets to the main part, it just goes up the scale, and doesn't lead to anywhere. Add onto it, make it build into something awesome!
Other than that, it's well put together! Good work!

----------

SUMMARY: Some clashing, but still good

REVIEW: Interesting start, has an outer space effect to it.
The space sound and the violins I feel clash once you get to 0:40. By clash I mean that both parts are fighting for the lead. The percussion in this is very powerful and very enjoyable. At 1:20 there's a good buildup, but it doesn't lead to anything "epic"
Nonetheless the part following is still good.
Once it hits the 2:15 mark, it gets to a good epic point where it's obvious that it's reached the climax where the humans are fighting for freedom. Just keeps going until the end, which leads to a good conclusion.
The effect you try to achieve is certainly achieved, the violins and the space sound clash, and the percussion is powerful.
Great job!

--------------------

13.) SBB vs TheBenjerman

SUMMARY: The effect has been achieved!

REVIEW: This is what's awesome about music, you can use your instruments to achieve a certain effect, and you certainly exploited that to it's full potential. I can just imagine myself submerged in the water with all the waste.
With that being said, music is what you make of it and sometimes you have to say screw the rules and go with your gut. You did what you had to in order to give the listener what you had intended. So there's plus for originality and effect. The levels are also quite well managed, everything has their layers.
But if I may give a recommendation, perhaps in order to give a better effect, screw with the levels at different points, the pops might be louder at a certain point as the empty bottle draws closer to the listener. Great work!

----------

SUMMARY: Awesome with a unique idea!

REVIEW: You're gonna have to explain to me what you added, just for the sake of knowing...
Anyways going on the idea that you used everyday objects to help you with this song, that's a really neat idea!
Getting to the song! At the beginning, the everyday items were used to create what I thought was a neat jungle-type scene, and it builds into a pretty good orchestration, the lack of percussion in the middle area is actually justified by the use of the other instruments, mainly the french horns. But near the end, I would have maybe turned up the percussions slightly, but that's just me.

--------------------

SUMMARY: Great stuff, but simple progressions

REVIEW: You certainly mixed up the genres, that's for sure.
Starting with the levels, it's all hearable and at a point where nothing is overpowered or underpowered. Excellent work on that.
Now for the composition... ummm... I like it, the instruments you used had a great effect on the song, and the scale(s) you used were used very well. The progressions were extremely simple and I know you could have at least added 2 more notes to that progressions and made it better.
But the progressions aren't supposed to be the drawing point, they supposed to help flow the melody, so let's look at the melody. All I can really say is that the melody is good, the right effects were used at the right times, and yeah...
Great work!

----------

SUMMARY: Repetitive, but you make use of it.

REVIEW: It does sound kind of like Tik Tok now that you mention it.
So it starts of pretty simple, goes on with that same melody thing for awhile, but one it hits 0:45, I don't know if it's my headphones or not, but that bass seems to be extremely overpowering the rest of the instruments until 1:15, where it's not as overpowering.
By about 2:00 I'm figuring that you use that same melody thing for the entire song. Not a bad thing, it's just I'm somewhat driven away by long amounts of repetitiveness. Nonetheless, with this repetitiveness you do add quite a bit and change it up with the effects and such, which is a good thing.
So aside from the bass being overpowered and the repetitiveness, it still works out to be a decent song!

--------------------

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:43:23

15.) dj-Jo vs Flashburn

SUMMARY: Can't complain about anything

REVIEW: Holy crap storyline!
First off, I have to give you props on how well mastered this is. So I can't complain about levels.
For instrumentation, you took what you needed and added more to give the song the desired effect, the song certainly wouldn't be the same without the shamisen, which is very distinct throughout the song.
And for the song itself, well it's about a clan of bloodthirsty warriors, and you can definately hear that in this song.
Great work!

SCORE: 10/10

----------

SUMMARY: Great effect, but lots of repetitiveness

REVIEW: I'll start with the effect/composition on this one.
The start is pretty suspensful, as if I don't know what's coming to get me. It builds up nicely with a sad feeling, as if I now know I'm going to die (I'm going along with your commentary here), then comes the revalations, then the knowledge that my time is coming and there's nothing I can do about it.
Great effect! BUT it's repetitive, and I like I tell alot of people, I'm not huge on long periods of repetitiveness. Like I also tell them, it's not a bad thing if you add onto it. Unfortunately you didn't add much to it.
The levels are good, everything's hearable and nothing's overpowered or underpowered. So I can't complain about that.

--------------------

AND FINALLY, LOGICALDEFIANCE'S RESULTS, YAY!

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:47:56

RESULTS - LOGICALDEFIANCE

LD's Round 1 Results:

-----------------------------------
** Kirbyfemur vs GronmonSE **

Kirbyfemur:

Originality/Theme - 9
Melody - 8
Percussion - 7
Harmony - 7
Mix Quality - 7
Mixing Tech - 7
Structure - 6

Overall: 0.728 ->> 7
-------------
GronmonSE:

Originality/Theme - 6
Melody - 9
Percussion - 5
Harmony - 6
Mix Quality - 7
Mixing Tech - 4
Structure - 9

Overall: 0.657 ->> 7
-------------

Winner: Kirbyfemur

-------------
** UncleSqueezins vs. DJ-Abbic **

UncleSqueezins:

Originality/Theme - 8
Melody - 7
Percussion - 6
Harmony - 6
Mix Quality - 8
Mixing Tech - 8
Structure - 6

Overall: 0.8 ->> 8
-------------
DJ-Abbic:

Originality/Theme - 7
Melody - 8
Percussion - 7
Harmony - 6
Mix Quality - 8
Mixing Tech - 8
Structure - 7

-------------

Winner: UncleSqueezins

-------------
** xKore vs. SteakJohnson **

xKore:

Originality/Theme - 8
Melody - 9
Percussion - 6
Harmony - 6
Mix Quality - 10
Mixing Tech - 8
Structure - 7

Overall: 0.757 ->> 8
-------------
SteakJohnson:

Originality/Theme - 7
Melody - 7
Percussion - 9
Harmony - 5
Mix Quality - 9
Mixing Tech - 8
Structure - 7

Overall: 0.742 ->> 7
-------------

Winner: xKore

-------------
** MrFijiWiji vs. SessileNomad **

MrFijiWiji:

Originality/Theme - 8
Melody - 7
Percussion - 6
Harmony - 6
Mix Quality - 8
Mixing Tech - 8
Structure - 7

Overall: 0.714 ->> 7
-------------
SessileNomad:

Originality/Theme - 9
Melody - 8
Percussion - 6
Harmony - 5
Mix Quality - 5
Mixing Tech - 8
Structure - 6

Overall: 0.671 ->> 7
-------------

Winner: MrFijiWiji

-------------
** Skela vs. Mussirus **

Skela:

Originality/Theme - 6
Melody - 6
Percussion - 7
Harmony - 5
Mix Quality - 8
Mixing Tech - 8
Structure - 4

Overall: 0.628 ->> 6
-------------
Mussirus:

Originality/Theme - 8
Melody - 8
Percussion - 5
Harmony - 8
Mix Quality - 8
Mixing Tech - 5
Structure - 7

Overall: 0.7 ->> 7
-------------

Winner: Mussirus

-------------
** SineRider vs. nubbinownz **

SineRider:

Originality/Theme - 7
Melody - 9
Percussion - 6
Harmony - 7
Mix Quality - 8
Mixing Tech - 6
Structure - 8

-------------
nubbinownz:

Originality/Theme - 8
Melody - 8
Percussion - 7
Harmony - 6
Mix Quality - 7
Mixing Tech - 7
Structure - 6

-------------

Winner: SineRider

-------------
** borntodj167 vs. AMP **

borntodj167:

Originality/Theme - 6
Melody - 7
Percussion - 6
Harmony - 7
Mix Quality - 6
Mixing Tech - 6
Structure - 6

Overall: 0.628 ->> 6
-------------
AMP:

Originality/Theme - 8
Melody - 8
Percussion - 7
Harmony - 6
Mix Quality - 8
Mixing Tech - 7
Structure - 7

-------------

Winner: AMP

-------------
** aliaspharow vs. InvisibleObserver **

aliaspharow:

Originality/Theme - 8
Melody - 8
Percussion - 6
Harmony - 8
Mix Quality - 9
Mixing Tech - 6
Structure - 8

-------------
InvisibleObserver:

Originality/Theme - 9
Melody - 7
Percussion - 9
Harmony - 6
Mix Quality - 7
Mixing Tech - 8
Structure - 7

-------------
Tie breaker - IO's song was much more intricate and unique sounding, whereas AF's song was much higher quality

sound and flowed better. Ultimately I decided for IO because of the sheer amount of work and intricacy that appears

to have went into the piece.
-------------

Winner: InvisibleObserver

-------------
** varrin7 vs. CKC2009 **

varrin7:

Originality/Theme - 8
Melody - 8
Percussion - 4
Harmony - 8
Mix Quality - 9
Mixing Tech - 4
Structure - 8

-------------
CKC2009:

Originality/Theme - 8
Melody - 8
Percussion - 7
Harmony - 7
Mix Quality - 5
Mixing Tech - 6
Structure - 7

Overall: 0.685 ->> 7
-------------

Winner: varrin7

-------------
** SBB vs. TheBenjerman **

SBB:

Originality/Theme - 9
Melody - 8
Percussion - 7
Harmony - 8
Mix Quality - 8
Mixing Tech - 8
Structure - 7

Overall: 0.785 ->> 8
-------------
TheBenjerman:

Originality/Theme - 9
Melody - 8
Percussion - 7
Harmony - 9
Mix Quality - 8
Mixing Tech - 5
Structure - 8

Overall: 0.771 ->> 8
-------------

Winner: SBB

-------------
** dj-Nate vs. Chronamut **

dj-Nate:

Originality/Theme - 7
Melody - 8
Percussion - 7
Harmony - 6
Mix Quality - 9
Mixing Tech - 8
Structure - 6

-------------
Chronamut:

Originality/Theme - 5
Melody - 7
Percussion - 6
Harmony - 4
Mix Quality - 5
Mixing Tech - 6
Structure - 6

Overall: 0.557 ->> 6
-------------

Winner: dj-Nate

-------------
** dj-Jo Vs Flashburn **

dj-Jo:

Originality/Theme - 9
Melody - 8
Percussion - 8
Harmony - 7
Mix Quality - 6
Mixing Tech - 5
Structure - 7

-------------
Flashburn:

Originality/Theme - 5
Melody - 7
Percussion - 6
Harmony - 6
Mix Quality - 8
Mixing Tech - 7
Structure - 8

Overall: 0.671 ->> 7
-------------

Winner: dj-Jo

-------------

Now to correct some silly mistakes I did...

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 14:52:08

At 10/9/10 02:47 PM, 0-Bomber wrote:
Now to correct some silly mistakes I did...

Spikrodd pointed out that I left out Darklight's reviews on dj-Nate and Chronamut...

Ambientronica, by dj-Nate

REVIEW:
A great piece. Although nothing in the song is unnecessarily complex, it still retains a fair degree of depth and originality. The bass was the real highlight in this piece, with a nice crisp bright sound which really worked well in this case. The strings in the introduction set off a great atmosphere and added a nice sense of blend in the intro. The main section with that fast melody on that synth was great, and the bass managed to retain its presence without blocking everything else out. Great job. The drums too were decent, although they got a bit repetitve towards the end. The outro was a great anticlimax too. Other than that, i think this song is well on its way to perfection. Brilliant work.

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 2/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 1.5/2
Melodies = 4/4
--------------------
Score = 18/20 = 9/10

----------

Event Horizon+, by Chronamut
Genre: Pop

REVIEW:
Great start, great finish. From start to end, i can say that this is a great song. Well produced, well worked out and well done. Starting from the instrument choice, u used some good synths and some not so good ones. But overall the general quality of the song was pretty darn high. The drums are of the typical UNCE-UNCE style which i can't say i hate, but which im a bit bored of hearing around NG. Luckily you made up for this with the contrasting secondary melodies which gave the music a good old deep feel. The melody does sound a bit similar to Tik Tok at the start, but it modulates to something totally different later on, which is great. Outro was very good and left me just begging for more. Overall, this is a decent effort, not much like your usual style, but good none the less. Good work!

SCORE:
Intro = 2/2
Outro = 2/2
Blend = 1.5/2
Transitions = 3/3
Bass = 1.5/2
Originality = 2/3
Drums = 1/2
Melodies = 3/4
--------------------
Score = 16/20 = 8/10

--------------------

...aaaaand that I forgot Pure-Metal-UTA's score on GronmonSE's song.

SCORE : 8/10

AND FINALLY, THE FINAL RESULTS. AND STUFF.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:01:34

At 10/9/10 02:52 PM, Supersteph54 wrote:
AND FINALLY, THE FINAL RESULTS. AND STUFF.

Kirbyfemur vs GronmonSE - Winner: GronmonSE
6 + 8 + 7 + 6 + 7 = 34/50 vs 8 + 10 + 7 + 8 + 8 = 41/50
6.8/10 vs 8.2/10

callitsleep89 vs mr-jazzman - Winner: mr-jazzman (by default)
N/A

UncleSqueezins vs Dj-Abbic - Winner: Dj-Abbic
8 + 9 + 7.5 + 7 + 6 = 37.5/50 vs 8 + 9 + 10 + 8 + 7 = 42/50
7.5/10 vs 8.4/10

xKore vs SteakJohnson - Winner: xKore
9 + 9.5 + 9 + 6 + 8 = 41.5/50 vs 7 + 10 + 8 + 6 + 7.5 = 38.5/50
8.3/10 vs 7.7/10

MrFijiWiji vs SessileNomad - Winner: MrFijiWiji
9 + 7.5 + 8 + 10 + 7 = 41.5/50 vs 6 + 7 + 6 + 8.5 + 7 = 34.5/50
8.3/10 vs 6.9/10

Bjra vs EbonHawk7X - Winner: Bjra (by default)
N/A

Skela vs Mussirus - Winner: Mussirus
9 + 9 + 6 + 6 + 8 = 38/50 vs 8 + 8 + 7 + 9 + 7 = 39/50
7.6/10 vs 7.8/10

SineRider vs nubbinownz - Winner: nubbinownz
8 + 8 + 8 + 8 + 7 = 39/50 vs 7 + 7 + 9 + 8 + 8.5 = 39.5/50
7.8/10 vs 7.9/10

Bosa vs Spikrodd - Winner: Spikrodd (by default)
N/A

borntodj167 vs AMP - Winner: AMP
8 + 8 + 6 + 6 + 9 = 37/50 vs 10 + 8 + 7 + 9 + 8 = 42/50
7.4/10 vs 8.4/10

aliaspharow vs InvisibleObserver - Winner: aliaspharow (by default)
Note: InvisibleObserver used Stephen Hawking's voice, which is basically using copyrighted sounds. Therefore his track goes against the audio submission rules and is disqualified. This explains why brokendeck gave it a 0.

varrin7 vs CKC2009 - Winner: varrin7
7 + 10 + 8 + 7 + 8 = 40/50 vs 9 + 8 + 4 + 9 + 7 = 37/50
8/10 vs 7.4/10

SBB vs TheBenjerman - Winner: SBB
10 + 8.5 + 8 + 8 + 9 = 43.5/50 vs 9 + 9 + 9 + 6 + 8 = 41/50
8.7/10 vs 8.2

dj-Nate vs Chronamut - Winner: dj-Nate
9 + 9 + 7 + 7 + 8 = 40/50 vs 9 + 8 + 7 + 6 + 7 = 37/50
8/10 vs 7.4/10

dj-Jo vs Flashburn - dj-Jo
8 + 9 + 10 + 7 + 9 = 43/50 vs 9 + 7 + 8.5 + 7 + 8 = 39.5/50
8.6/10 vs 7.9/10

HighBallers vs deathkllr84 - Winner: HighBallers (by default)
N/A

Participants who passed to Round 2:
01.) GronmonSE
02.) mr-jazzman
03.) Dj-Abbic
04.) xKore
05.) MrFijiWiji
06.) Bjra
07.) Mussirus
08.) nubbinownz
09.) Spikrodd
10.) AMP
11.) aliaspharow
12.) varrin7
13.) SBB
14.) dj-Nate
15.) dj-Jo
16.) HighBallers

Pairings for Round 2:

Mussirus vs SBB
GronmonSE vs varrin7
dj-Nate vs Dj-Abbic
AMP vs xKore
mr-jazzman vs HighBallers
aliaspharow vs MrFijiWiji
dj-Jo vs Bjra
Spikrodd vs nubbinownz

DEADLINES REMAINING:
Round 2 - 23rd October (2 weeks)
Round 2 Judging - 27th October (4 days)
Round 3 - 10th November (2 weeks)
Round 3 Judging - 13th November (3 days)
Round 4 - 27th November (2 weeks)
Round 4 Judging - 29th November (2 days)
Round 5 - 13th December (2 weeks)
Judgement Day - 14th December (1 day)

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:06:35

Phew, that was a mess.

Anyway, hope you guys are happy with your opponents, although I know some of your are probably smashing your heads against the wall saying 'why me?' by now :P.

I'm aware I made a few mistakes, sorry for that, I had 17 posts to make, and a new account to make too. I'm also aware that I didn't completely follow the results layout in the first post 100%, but heck, I'm tired, cut me some slack :3.

There was some good competition this time round, but to the losers, you all did great. Hope to see you guys next time, if we do have a next time.

So, post away!

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:06:40

Ahahahahaa! I'm in ultimate happy mode! I'm going against Nubbin!?

Win.

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:08:02

That was a close call.
And now my opponent is SBB :'(

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:11:00

:D
yay I made it :)

You were a good competitor Flashburn!

Now I have to worry about Bjra :O

I suck at grammer ^ can't you tell?

Yoooooouuuutuuubeeeee

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:13:44

Well, it was something worth trying, ax experience and a journey, leading to complet failure, why try?
And even if someone wins, don't we all die in the end?

Well, I lost, what's the use?

*Goodbye World, I shall miss thee :'(*

Drama Much?

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:13:50

Wow, so much for the awkward silence, you guys posted immediately.

And yeah I'm pretty happy with the pairings this time round. Got quite a few epic pairings and intentional pairings like Spikrodd against nubbinownz. I have high standards for this round.

Also, whoever guesses how many windows I had open while posting the results gets a cookie.

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:13:51

God that was close, a 0.5 difference in score. Good game.

Hai mussirus

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:21:38

The SBB vs TheBenjerman match was really sad, because TheBenjermans' track was definitely more worthy then a few others that made it to round 2 in my opinion.

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:24:48

At 10/9/10 03:13 PM, SBB wrote: God that was close, a 0.5 difference in score. Good game.

Hai mussirus

H.. hey. You.. we.. i mean..
I'm just so sad.

So sad that you must die so young

BBS Signature

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:25:18

Also my guess is 9 windows supersteph. Amiright? Can I haz cookie?

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:27:39

Congrats nubbin, we had a good run but you beat me by .1 haha how bout that?

Response to Ngadm '10 Round 1 Results 2010-10-09 15:28:11

At 10/9/10 03:25 PM, LogicalDefiance wrote: Also my guess is 9 windows supersteph. Amiright? Can I haz cookie?

No, you're way off.

BBS Signature