00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kheyindae just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Flood the Portal Fridays!

11,161 Views | 162 Replies

Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 01:24:48

This is an idea Renaenae and I have been kicking around for awhile. Every Friday, we get as many people as we can to submit art to the portal with the same thumbnail at the same time. That way the whole front page gets covered with nothing in between, 100% coverage.

This thread will be used to post a new theme and thumbnail for every week's flood. You can also post WIPs for you upcoming flood pieces. Once the flood happens it is highly encouraged that you post a link to your piece here (include a small preview, don't just post a link), so we know you participated and people can go review/vote on your piece. This is crucial for people who are unscouted but still want to participate and get feedback and more notice.

There aren't any real rules to it other than that you use the theme somehow, and you have to have the specified thumbnail. You can either work the thumbnail into your piece, or just have it stuck in the corner of your piece for the sake of the thumbnail. You can change the thumbnail to something else later on if you want, but just leave it as the Flood thumbnail for at least 24 hours.

Now this'll be more fun with the more people we can get involved. The goal is to flood the portal, and get everyone to review each others work. This is a community project, so act like a community and show everybody who participates some love. Review and vote on as many pieces as you can, and be constructive don't just tell them that they're work is nice.

The first flood will be NEXT FRIDAY, OCTOBER 1ST AT 8 PM NEWGROUNDS TIME, and the theme is going to be Black Cat. The theme can be as literal or loosely interpreted as you want, do whatever you want with it. You can download the thumbnail here.

So spread the word! Next week the flood begins!

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 01:27:40

This is gonna be interesting ...
I'm in

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 01:28:07

Yay!!! Imma draw a kitteh!!!! :D

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 01:31:54

Lol this will be a damn funny event and hopefully this will work out and get a lot of people to participate regularly. Dunno if I can make it every week, but I'll try everything for the upcoming friday. Good luck!

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 03:02:17

I am in this.

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 04:33:48

It's a bit like a CHOW, or any other weekly thing, except with a lot more lulz attached to said thing. Hell yeah, I'm in. And Friday is always a good day for me, because it's always a Saturday for me. I'm pretty sure that it's 10am Saturdays for me, anyway.

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 05:15:46

Sounds like fun :3

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 06:38:34

sounds cool, i might even draw something for this :P

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 06:49:33

Well I like the idea apart from the use the same thumbnail part... so if I participate I'll be making my own thumbnail based of the one that posted. Also will NG be able to handle many ppl submitting stuff at exactly the same time?

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 07:30:05

At 9/24/10 06:49 AM, CloudEater wrote: Well I like the idea apart from the use the same thumbnail part... so if I participate I'll be making my own thumbnail based of the one that posted. Also will NG be able to handle many ppl submitting stuff at exactly the same time?

having the same icon is pretty much the whole point. We are all flooding the portal, if one uses their own it would seem like you aren't part of the flood.

Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a pathetic attempt with only 5 or 6 people posting

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 07:49:40

ohohohohoho....

I am sooo in.

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 07:51:16

At 9/24/10 07:30 AM, ImmaKitty wrote: having the same icon is pretty much the whole point. We are all flooding the portal, if one uses their own it would seem like you aren't part of the flood.

I think it could be better if ppl could tell the difference between images even if each preview was a slightly different hue or if lineArt was given out and ppl coloured it.

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 07:55:40

At 9/24/10 07:51 AM, CloudEater wrote:
At 9/24/10 07:30 AM, ImmaKitty wrote: having the same icon is pretty much the whole point. We are all flooding the portal, if one uses their own it would seem like you aren't part of the flood.
I think it could be better if ppl could tell the difference between images even if each preview was a slightly different hue or if lineArt was given out and ppl coloured it.

Or, to go even further, we just had a certain theme to go along with our drawings...

look at my pictures

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 08:10:31

the issue isn't up for debate, this isn't about having a unique picture of some black cat we drew.

We all draw a black cat with the themed icon like so, and use the icon as the preview image for the Art Portal

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 08:14:43

At 9/24/10 08:10 AM, ImmaKitty wrote: the issue isn't up for debate, this isn't about having a unique picture of some black cat we drew.

Everything is up for debate. Renae & Ben have most likely already debated a lot about it. I'm not expecting anything to be changed this first time but after it's happened once we'll have a better idea of if the plan is good.

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 08:22:01

I'm in. Don't know about the themes though. This thread should also be a suggestion thread or something.

mew :3

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 08:22:00

YAYAYAY! Im sad we have to wait another week...

At 9/24/10 08:14 AM, CloudEater wrote:
At 9/24/10 08:10 AM, ImmaKitty wrote: the issue isn't up for debate, this isn't about having a unique picture of some black cat we drew.
Everything is up for debate. Renae & Ben have most likely already debated a lot about it. I'm not expecting anything to be changed this first time but after it's happened once we'll have a better idea of if the plan is good.

This has been in the pipeline for quite sometime. Not using the icon is a bit like not drawing a character for the chow; youre missing the point. Sure its fine if you want to draw mountains, but dont submit them to the chow, cause thats not what the chow is for.
Likewise, we could all just draw a picture of a cat; but that would make this no different from any other themed thread in the art forum. The entire idea is that the whole frontpage will show 20 identical icons, but having different pieces of art behind them.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 13:02:50

At 9/24/10 08:22 AM, J-qb wrote: The entire idea is that the whole frontpage will show 20 identical icons, but having different pieces of art behind them.
24!!

Exactly!! Man you guys are being difficult :(

I already considered the fact that people will try to sabotage our efforts by posting things between us...to keep us from owning the whole first page of the portal. And that's ok! It makes it more of a challenge!! and if we work together, we can make it happen. There are 24 spots... so I'm not expecting to succeed the first time out (or even ever). But we can try!!!!

This is about more than dominating though. It's about submitting GOOD art and getting GOOD feedback! The hope is that everyone participating will review every other piece, so why not take advantage of that. Don't post some two-minute crap just to take part... actually put some effort into it!! And for those that aren't scouted... this is an opportunity to get noticed.

Please feel free to offer up theme suggestions... but keep it SUPER broad!! This one is a bit specific, but you're welcome to get creative with it!! A black cat can be a panther, a kitten, a stuffed animal, a bottle of rum, a costume... you can be as literal or as obscure with it as you want. We just picked it because it'll be Oct 1st... and kitties are cuuuute! :P lol (in the future, I was thinking it would be more like: water, wings, shiny, etc)

ninjar, I really like your icon. Maybe we could take a vote to see what everyone else thinks (sorry Ben :P) ...but I think if it's the same one each week, it will give it some continuity and it's more easily recognizable. (as mentioned... you can remove it later.)

So, to recap... draw, dominate, review, have fun!! :D

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 14:47:38

My fellow newgroundian flood soldiers, no discussions. Cap'n Ben and Gen'ral Nae gave strict orders! A heavy duty has been laid on our shoulders. We must bring glory to the friday flood troop, for the forum, for the portal, FOR NEWGROUNDS!
P.S.: Deserters.... will be shot!

But honestly, is using exactly the same icon really too much to ask for? Geez! :P

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 14:54:16

At 9/24/10 01:02 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: ninjar, I really like your icon. Maybe we could take a vote to see what everyone else thinks (sorry Ben :P)

I'm completely down with replacing my shitty thumbnail. I do really like ninjar's, but maybe we should wait until the next one to use it. The one I did is already in the main post for this coming flood, would suck if people get confused and there's a mix of the 2.

Look at my art!

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 15:01:34

At 9/24/10 02:54 PM, Captain-Ben wrote:
At 9/24/10 01:02 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: ninjar, I really like your icon. Maybe we could take a vote to see what everyone else thinks (sorry Ben :P)
I'm completely down with replacing my shitty thumbnail. I do really like ninjar's, but maybe we should wait until the next one to use it. The one I did is already in the main post for this coming flood, would suck if people get confused and there's a mix of the 2.

Sir, yes, sir! With your allowance I would like to add the following. It seems private Ninjar never implied to replace your icon sir captain, sir.

I start to enjoy that military tune. Is that bad? :P

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 16:21:32

Great I hope to have time to do something for next Friday

Art and Audio

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 16:26:55

At 9/24/10 03:01 PM, Luwano wrote:

I start to enjoy that military tune. Is that bad? :P

SIR, NO SIR!

look at my pictures

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 17:08:27

So this is like the RWD of the Art Portal? With quality spam :D

You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else.

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 17:10:51

At 9/24/10 03:01 PM, Luwano wrote: I start to enjoy that military tune. Is that bad? :P

It sure as hell is annoying

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 17:13:04

At 9/24/10 05:10 PM, J-qb wrote: It sure as hell is annoying

*takes a puff*
I love the smell of kitty litter in the morning.

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 18:06:50

At 9/24/10 05:10 PM, J-qb wrote: black cat

niiice! :D

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 18:17:02

In the future, we should really plan this ahead of time, because doing an image on the day of its deadline isn't going to work for a lot of us.
Otherwise, pretty cool idea. It'll confuse the hell out of those who use the portal that aren't forum-goers. J-Qb's submission is pretty neat, and the icon Ninjar made looks pretty cool.

My Art Thread.

Eeureka! With an exclamation point!

BBS Signature

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 18:21:30

At 9/24/10 06:17 PM, Luxembourg wrote: In the future, we should really plan this ahead of time, because doing an image on the day of its deadline isn't going to work for a lot of us.

You do have time. The flood is planned for next friday, so you have a week to whip something up.

Response to Flood the Portal Fridays! 2010-09-24 18:21:37

I sketched up a quick one, i might add more in a while..