00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

heyitsjustpIxel just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

24 Hour Challenge 2

18,358 Views | 330 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-08 21:54:19

You've seen it? oAo IS IT AS LEGENDARY AS. AS I THINK.

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 00:00:40

At 9/8/10 09:54 PM, Bubbowrap wrote: You've seen it? oAo IS IT AS LEGENDARY AS. AS I THINK.

Yep!

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 06:31:32

its all ready? I wont be able to see it till later tonight so i do not have to preview it if its ready to submit..

Hi

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 09:43:39

So there's a draft done ...

It's really amazing ... with a couple of strange snags ...

I'll list the issues in order, and perhaps we can sort out the causes through deduction...

I'm thinking a number of factors could be at play
(a) What version of flash you used ...
(b) What AS version you used and
(c) if you used AS in your piece at all

Ockeroid : Sound issues ... not only did they get "messed up" I realized, I only have 3 of your sounds.

StevenM: You scene when played in the whole movie skips some frames and/or plays at a higher frame rate... but when played on it's own is perfectly fine. Also, when I preview the whole movie on my comp, it's all fine.

Nero: You piece is no longer fudged up, but it was previously reacting similarly to Steven's when it had the fouled up Vcam2 ... not sure how they are linked ... if at all.

Redharvest: I still have no idea why, but your sounds keep playing over and over again. They're not on repeat ... they also tend to play over other people's scenes in the Samurai select (sometimes) ...

Redminus: Magically, the video version of your piece went in without a snag.

Biff: Same issue as StevenM, the piece will sometimes play at an accelerated frame rate ... then start over just fine ... so weird.

These are the current issues (and non issues, in the case of Nero and Minus) ... I'll be looking into them, however, everything else (sans the "About text" and Minus' bio/pic) are in place.

Soooo close ... btw, you can view the entire piece via the previous "project link" that has been floating around skype :)

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 10:29:58

At 9/9/10 09:43 AM, RicePirate wrote: I'm thinking a number of factors could be at play
StevenM: You scene when played in the whole movie skips some frames and/or plays at a higher frame rate... but when played on it's own is perfectly fine. Also, when I preview the whole movie on my comp, it's all fine.

I sent my flash file to JordanD to be converted to CS3 format. Prior to that it was CS4, publish format Flash Player 9/ActionScript 3 (I didn't save the .FLA as CS3 myself due to something about "XMP File Info Dialog's metadata"). Having said that, you should have a PM in your inbox.

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 10:42:53

So GOOD NEWS!

Apparently ... the movies that were converted from CS5 ... when wrapped in a clip would behave erratically.

The solution? Pull the frames out of the clip and paste them in, in their entirety ... the only issue? The alignment is off ... strangely ... by the same amount for all pieces that were originally CS5 ... weird right?

So now it all works just fine ... I just need Orkeroids sounds ... StevenM's sound if he has any ... and to adjust several of the clips alignment ... FRAME BY FRAME :(

But that's the least of my worries, that's just busy work ... much more tolerable than erractic unexplained behavior.

YAY!!

At 9/9/10 10:29 AM, Steven-M wrote:
At 9/9/10 09:43 AM, RicePirate wrote: I'm thinking a number of factors could be at play
I sent my flash file to JordanD to be converted to CS3 format. Prior to that it was CS4, publish format Flash Player 9/ActionScript 3 (I didn't save the .FLA as CS3 myself due to something about "XMP File Info Dialog's metadata"). Having said that, you should have a PM in your inbox.

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 12:11:18

Damn, so many great parts, I'm impressed! I knew this collab was gonna be teh pwns! :D

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 12:20:40

Agreed Pego.

RedHarvest and Steven M, I have adjusted every frame in your movies to align with the rest.

Sadly, the new file Steven sent ... still wound up being off frame when I plugged it into the main FLA ... no worries. All sorted.

Honestly, just waiting on Ocker's sounds and Minus's bio/pic and we're done :) I'll update the link in a little :D

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 12:36:11

At 9/9/10 12:20 PM, RicePirate wrote: Sadly, the new file Steven sent ... still wound up being off frame when I plugged it into the main FLA ... no worries. All sorted.

Ah, pity! Thanks for sorting it out, though. And yeah, there's no sound files with it (I tried exporting some but it was too big a hassle - gave up after an hour of formatting .mp3s and .wavs to no avail). Thanks again!

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 12:48:04

Sounds sent! :D

Sorry didn't send them earlier, but was having a massive sleep after staying up for the challenge :p

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 14:36:35

At 9/9/10 12:48 PM, Ockeroid wrote: Sounds sent! :D

Sorry didn't send them earlier, but was having a massive sleep after staying up for the challenge :p

massive sleep..the challenge ended like 4 days ago..

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 15:03:36

At 9/9/10 02:36 PM, JordanD wrote:

A good flash is good eventually, right? Speaking of, any chance we can get a preview of the collab so far? Or is it so close to completion that there's no point bothering until it's hit the Portal?

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 15:30:15

At 9/9/10 03:03 PM, Steven-M wrote:
At 9/9/10 02:36 PM, JordanD wrote:

A good flash is good eventually, right? Speaking of, any chance we can get a preview of the collab so far? Or is it so close to completion that there's no point bothering until it's hit the Portal?

Hit me up on Skype and I'll link you. It looks and sounds amazing. Though I've been experiencing occassional crashes ... which I'm trying to sort out. But this latest looks like it's running smooth.

Hit me up. Skype name: micklauer

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 19:52:46

Maybe it would be better to submit the flash tomorrow in order to gain more votes IMO. :3

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 20:20:05

At 9/9/10 07:52 PM, Pegosho wrote: Maybe it would be better to submit the flash tomorrow in order to gain more votes IMO. :3

I'm still waiting on one last bio/pic.

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 20:24:26

maybe just use an image from his part? and kinda fudge the info? haha

Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 20:49:28

At 9/9/10 09:43 AM, RicePirate wrote:
Nero: You piece is no longer fudged up, but it was previously reacting similarly to Steven's when it had the fouled up Vcam2 ... not sure how they are linked ... if at all.

Haha, I liked how you added the close up. :P The only Problem I see now is the sound part where on the first attack, the sword clangs repeat themselves. Also after I saw the other people's bios, I noticed they put in their actual time animating this. I however, put in how long it took me to get the FLA to you. If you minus work, sleep, bathroom breaks, and food breaks, I think I would be at 24-25 hours. Sorry about that. :D

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 20:53:33

At 9/9/10 08:24 PM, RedHarvest wrote: maybe just use an image from his part? and kinda fudge the info? haha

yeah we cant let one guy hold up the entire collab.

Hi

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 20:58:33

I need you all to test the shit outta the swf... I still have minor tweaks ... but play the main movie over a couple times, have NG running in the bg on another tab ... please let me know if I've resolved the freezing issue.

I'm pretty I know what it is ... but it's something to discuss in detail ... not in forum posts.

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 21:25:23

I can help test it. I'm curious to see what it looks like and though I'm not much of a coder, I could guess on what the problems are.

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 21:30:44

At 9/9/10 09:25 PM, Bubbowrap wrote: I can help test it. I'm curious to see what it looks like and though I'm not much of a coder, I could guess on what the problems are.

It looks like I've gotten the main movie to stop freezing the client ... however, when individual parts are played .. the sound is a bit delayed ...

If you'd like to see the preview hit me up on skype ...

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 21:56:23

Wow! I'm very impressed!
The parts on their own are great, but all together they feel like a lot more!

Only things...
-It's difficult to find out who did what pieces. There are a few I really liked and didn't recognize the style of, but there was no way to find out who made them without going through each person's scene in samurai select.

-It feels like a bit of a shame there isn't a credits sequence. Since it's got such a cool build up and ending, but then it just kind of ends. Feels like it needs a sort of punctuation.
Not a big deal tho, since it'll still be as cool.

-Is there supposed to be split second of a guy running with sunglasses just at the breakdown of the song?

Overall I really enjoyed watching that! It really gave me a "wow!" feeling when I was done :D
I'm so happy to have been part of this! Seriously!

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 22:18:17

At 9/9/10 09:56 PM, Ockeroid wrote: Wow! I'm very impressed!
The parts on their own are great, but all together they feel like a lot more!

Only things...
-It's difficult to find out who did what pieces. There are a few I really liked and didn't recognize the style of, but there was no way to find out who made them without going through each person's scene in samurai select.

-It feels like a bit of a shame there isn't a credits sequence. Since it's got such a cool build up and ending, but then it just kind of ends. Feels like it needs a sort of punctuation.
Not a big deal tho, since it'll still be as cool.

-Is there supposed to be split second of a guy running with sunglasses just at the breakdown of the song?

Overall I really enjoyed watching that! It really gave me a "wow!" feeling when I was done :D
I'm so happy to have been part of this! Seriously!

I'll be adding names in the corner ... no credit sequence ... I feel like that kinda ends it ... and when they're done ... I don't want it to be over ... I want them to feel like there's more.

The sunglasses guy ... yup, that's 10JD.

You all did such a wonderful job. If I didn't feel like this was worth the investment, I wouldn't be beating my head into it :) I know I'm proud already of all the work we all put in.

Just some tiny edits, tweaks, and optimizing. And tomorrow I post it at 1pm-ish EST.

M!ck

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-09 22:22:12

yeah the moment of cool B)

Hi

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-10 01:05:25

It's done.

It's wonderful.

And while the individual scenes aren't perfectly synched LOOOOOONGGG story with lots of blood ... and monster screams ... it's definitely good enough, I believe.

And the whole piece ... is excellent.

Please test it out, A LOT ... I wan't to be sure it's not a crash disaster waiting to happen.

Time to rest.

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-10 02:50:06

this was just one giant piece of awesome, and it was kind of cool to see what everyone sounded like on the skype convo.

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-10 05:28:42

At 9/10/10 01:05 AM, RicePirate wrote: Please test it out, A LOT ... I wan't to be sure it's not a crash disaster waiting to happen.

Tested for sound issues again, and it looks like the last particular issue was fixed, ish - the sound no longer plays during any of the other movies chosen from the Samurai Select screen, but that includes the original short itself (it still plays fine during the full collab, though). Can't wait to see this hit the Portal, you guys did a fantastic job with it!

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-10 06:47:22

Just saw the updated version, looks awesome!

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-10 08:46:15

Contact me with buddy requests.

Red, contact, me about coauthors.

Also, fix minus' sound issue. And is ockerrs song in the portal?

BBS Signature

Response to 24 Hour Challenge 2 2010-09-10 09:39:48

At 9/10/10 08:46 AM, RicePirate wrote: Contact me with buddy requests.

Red, contact, me about coauthors.

Also, fix minus' sound issue. And is ockerrs song in the portal?

You guys want me to post now? Or wait?

Also, for the thumbnail, I've got images (that we've discussed) ...

24 Hour Challenge 2

BBS Signature