00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sketch a day

886 Views | 13 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Sketch a day 2010-07-11 15:42:18

For my 14th birthday, I recieved two sketchbooks and pencils among other things, and i want to fill them up with a sketch each day until they are both full.
Criticism and comments are welcome :)

Day 1:

Sketch a day

every morn I awake from the cavernous night

look at my pictures

look at pictures I look at

BBS Signature

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-11 17:01:08

Nice job! Give the eyes some highlights to really make them pop out of the page and you'll be cooking. Keep it up!

The Game.

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-11 17:08:53

At 7/11/10 05:01 PM, MagicalJamie wrote: Nice job! Give the eyes some highlights to really make them pop out of the page and you'll be cooking. Keep it up!

Thanks! I was starting to think I was the only one in here... And I'll rework the eyes.
I actually am making a wall of all the pictures next to my bed.

look at my pictures

BBS Signature

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-11 17:38:06

the eyes look kinda weird but I cant decide if I still like the way it looks or not.
its very stylized.

try to increase the range of value a bit.

but other than that nice work :)

BBS Signature

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-11 18:51:46

At 7/11/10 06:30 PM, ImpendingRiot wrote: Eyes are slightly too close together, as a rule of thumb you should be able to fit a third eye between both of the eyes. Looking good though, look forward to more drawings.

Mainly what I'm focusing on is the anatomy. Thanks! :)

look at my pictures

BBS Signature

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-11 19:09:41

Overall I do like this picture, but there are some general areas that need to be changed to improve the overall picture.

Anatomy
The first thing I noticed when I saw this picture was her nose; it looks like it's heading off toward the viewer's left while the rest of her facial features are directed at the viewer. Speaking of her features, her nose, mouth and eyes are all too far down her head. To me, it looks like her mouth is where her chin should start. Lastly, we haver her hair. She looks like she only has hair growing from the front of her head, and what little hair she does have is altogether too thin and wispy. Also, as I was about to start writing this critique, I noticed that she has no eyebrows.

Shading/Depth
I'm just going to tie these two together, since they usually go hand in hand. As NobleSavage pointed out, a greater range in value would really improve this piece, but before you start shading willy-nilly you need to define your source of light. It's fairly obvious that you didn't have a specific light source in mind when you started shading; you shaded below her nose but also on top of both her shoulders.

I don't know if it is because of whatever device you used to get this picture on your computer, but it looks like you barely shaded her face at all. This lack of shading makes her face look incredibly flat. Her chest, on the other hand, looks like it has a little bit more dimension.

Like I said, overall it does look pretty good. If you have some time, look at Art101's tutorials.

Also, good luck with the whole sketch a day thing.

BBS Signature

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-11 19:34:25

At 7/11/10 07:09 PM, Little-Eise wrote:

Also, as I was about to start writing this critique, I noticed that she has no eyebrows.

D: wow. My bad, is all i can really say to that...

I don't know if it is because of whatever device you used to get this picture on your computer, but it looks like you barely shaded her face at all. This lack of shading makes her face look incredibly flat. Her chest, on the other hand, looks like it has a little bit more dimension.

I'm not going to blame my tools, but i used a dinky little digital camera, and cropped it in photoshop. My scanners acting up for some reason. Anyways, when i was actually drawing it, i was worried that the chest was looking TOO shaded. Thanks for clearing this up.

If you have some time, look at Art101's tutorials.

I will. Thanks!

Also, good luck with the whole sketch a day thing.

look at my pictures

BBS Signature

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-12 04:36:10

Wow, your very good for your age I might say. I advice you to keep practicing to keep getting better. I'm getting a weird feeling looking at your starter pic. I don't know why.

Art Thread/NG Art - View it. /I love rainbows do you?/

BBS Signature

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-12 12:28:48

At 7/12/10 04:36 AM, Fifty-50 wrote: Wow, your very good for your age I might say. I advice you to keep practicing to keep getting better. I'm getting a weird feeling looking at your starter pic. I don't know why.

First of all, thanks! secondly, thanks?

Alright, so here's day two. First of, I realize she has no neck or hair, and that's because I wanted to focuse on shading due to most peoples criticisms yesterday. So here ya go! :)

Sketch a day

look at my pictures

BBS Signature

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-12 15:22:27

Yay, my scanners working again!
So here, have a hand.

Sketch a day

look at my pictures

BBS Signature

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-13 11:57:32

At 7/12/10 03:22 PM, DemocracyFTW wrote: Yay, my scanners working again!
So here, have a hand.

You should make it look more realistic... smooth the edges up. Oh and on the first picture of the woman, you should give her a chin and a smaller nose (unless it was a portrait of someone?)

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-13 16:57:55

http://thanksjeff.us/love/viewtopic.php?
id=2373

Try taking a look at some of the links there, theres one that has a few anatomy books you can download FREE.
I did so yesterday, and i've seriously improved with my anatomy. Even if the book is in german. Also, try not to do the fuzzy line thing. Be sure about your stokes, make them defined. All you need is more practice, you'll get better.

Just listen to everything everyone else has said also.

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-13 17:09:56

So here, have a hand.

when drawing hands, it really helps if you use your free hand (the one you arent using to draw) as a kind of reference
and instead of thinking of your hand as a whole, break it down into different lines and shapes. you will probably find when you try to do that, it loks weird and maybe confusing (it does for me anyways) but in the end it pays off
also, looking at your hand, it is very jagged, while a real hand is very smooth, so there is no need for such straight and stiff lines :) more detail doesnt hurt either ;)

Response to Sketch a day 2010-07-13 17:58:05

At 7/13/10 05:09 PM, Kakashi1930 wrote:
So here, have a hand.
when drawing hands, it really helps if you use your free hand (the one you arent using to draw) as a kind of reference
also, looking at your hand, it is very jagged, while a real hand is very smooth, so there is no need for such straight and stiff lines :) more detail doesnt hurt either ;)

Thats exactly what I did, and I was after doing so many portraits of women I became bored and wanted to do something stylistic.

look at my pictures

BBS Signature