00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

SNiter27 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Guitarists

634,301 Views | 13,330 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-08 17:45:18

I was up last night learning Blackest Eyes and Leprosy. They're both kind of tricky but fun to play.

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-08 22:55:36

At 7/8/09 01:43 PM, zer0gravity1 wrote: Should i start learning more theory? I'm "really good" my friends say for only playing for about 8 months, and i really want to be able to write my own songs, not just mimic someone.

You don't need to know theory to write songs, it just helps. A lot. Basically the amount of talent you have is inversely proportional to the theory you need to know to write something awesome, if I may oversimplify.

Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.

-Ambrose Bierce

"This sig, is fucking cool."

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-10 02:52:34

My friend found an EMG pickup sitting on the curb today, it's a little scratched up, but all the wires are all still in-tact. So, I'm gunna sell it for $20

i hava bonr mang

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-10 10:50:02

At 7/10/09 02:52 AM, Actionkiller wrote: My friend found an EMG pickup sitting on the curb today, it's a little scratched up, but all the wires are all still in-tact. So, I'm gunna sell it for $20

What are the odds of that happening? Wow, lucky.

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-10 16:51:09

Hey guys...I play guitar as well, and have written a few songs. Some of my influences are Marty Friedman, Mikael Akerfeldt and john petrucci. The link is in my sig. Please check it out and tell me what you think!

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-10 17:12:13

Fuck yes.

Getting a Dean for about half the retail price.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-10 18:01:45

At 7/10/09 04:51 PM, axl-lee wrote: Some of my influences are Marty Friedman

That's awesome, I'm more influenced by Jason Becker but Friedman and Becker wrote some crazy stuff together back in the day.

At 7/10/09 05:12 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: Getting a Dean for about half the retail price.

Is it a 200$ Dean or a 5000$ Dean? I would consider them moderately good guitars either way.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-11 08:54:23

At 7/10/09 06:01 PM, PolishMatt wrote:
At 7/10/09 05:12 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: Getting a Dean for about half the retail price.
Is it a 200$ Dean or a 5000$ Dean? I would consider them moderately good guitars either way.

£500. Which is $800-ish, according to Google.

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-14 12:50:15

1) LTD KH-202 Kirk Hammett Signature Guitar.

2) Metallica

3) 1 year and 4 months (but REALLY good).

I once had a trip with Jesus, the divinity was unmatched. Then he had a heart attack and died. There, now you can shut the hell up about Jesus's existance/nonexistance. I Art.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-14 13:47:59

At 7/14/09 12:50 PM, PsychoticPsycho wrote:
3) 1 year and 4 months (but REALLY good).

We need evidence, only l33t players allowed.

-Ambrose Bierce

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-14 14:30:06

hell,ill join.

GUITARS: Fender Straocaster in electric blue,Limited edition Volkswagen electric guitar, johnson classical acoustic
favorite band: too much to choose froim, but ill have to say asian kung fu generation
how long ive been playing, about 3 years

If a Tree falls in the woods, does anyone other than the hippies really give a shit?

JAKENATOR85 AIN'T GOT SHIT ON ME!

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-17 16:55:36

Hey, I got a problem... I had a thread idea, I was writing this song okay, then I decided on a break on the work, and to make a thread, where I post my tabs for parts of the song at a time, and hear how other NG users(guitarists) play it back w/o my giving them any info on how I play it, but my problem is, as you may have noticed, every time you try to put a tab anywhere on NG, it comes out all fucked up, like your whole family did, OH DISS, no really, little help?

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-17 17:46:54

At 7/17/09 04:55 PM, ninja2142 wrote: Hey, I got a problem... I had a thread idea, I was writing this song okay, then I decided on a break on the work, and to make a thread, where I post my tabs for parts of the song at a time, and hear how other NG users(guitarists) play it back w/o my giving them any info on how I play it, but my problem is, as you may have noticed, every time you try to put a tab anywhere on NG, it comes out all fucked up, like your whole family did, OH DISS, no really, little help?

Take it somewhere else, your thread would probably get locked. If you must, though, you can upload a screen capture of the tab, if it's not too long or post it in another site and link to it.

-Ambrose Bierce

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-17 17:53:20

At 7/17/09 05:46 PM, ChocloMan wrote:
At 7/17/09 04:55 PM, ninja2142 wrote: Hey, I got a problem... I had a thread idea, I was writing this song okay, then I decided on a break on the work, and to make a thread, where I post my tabs for parts of the song at a time, and hear how other NG users(guitarists) play it back w/o my giving them any info on how I play it, but my problem is, as you may have noticed, every time you try to put a tab anywhere on NG, it comes out all fucked up, like your whole family did, OH DISS, no really, little help?
Take it somewhere else, your thread would probably get locked. If you must, though, you can upload a screen capture of the tab, if it's not too long or post it in another site and link to it.

I got it up on ultimate-guitar, here is the link, post the song on NG, or there, PM me if on NGHeRE

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-17 18:17:05

I'm getting this in about a week or so, along with this little amp.

I need something cheap, but something that still sounds good, so I figured Ibanez was the way to go. I started learning how to play on my friend's Ibanez, and this will be my first electric.

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-17 21:43:48

I'm learning Fracture by King Crimson, and it's motherfuckignly tough to play it clean.

-Ambrose Bierce

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-17 21:52:02

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Lynard Skynard, Guns n Roses
A little over 2 months.

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-17 21:53:19

I wonder how I missed this club. Oh well, I am so joining.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-17 22:24:12

I have a Fender Deluxe Player's strat which had shitty stock pickups that I swapped with SCN samarium cobalt noiseless stratocaster pickups. My favorite band is Weezer. I have been playing guitar for 8 years now.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-17 23:58:32

At 7/17/09 05:53 PM, ninja2142 wrote: I got it up on ultimate-guitar, here is the link, post the song on NG, or there, PM me if on NGHeRE

Why would you post your own material on the web. You will regret this one day (That wasn't a threat), trust me, there's a lot of fucked up people on the web and ignorant pricks that would just love to take someone's work and claim it as their own. And what difference does it make if we think it sounds good. Writing music is completely dependent on the writer and what he or she believes is music.

As for the tab, don't even bother trying to type it out. Every site manages to make text appear the slightest bit different in some shape or form from one another; which sort of kills the whole opportunity for tabs to work because as perfectly shown in the link you provided, the dashes and numbers will end up mushing together and become unreadable and ultimately... unplayable.

Either head over to a torrent site as the Pirate Bay and pick yourself up a copy of GuitarPro 5.2 to create files with your songs and host them on the web or upload a endless stream of PNG (JPG will just make it unreadable) images if you really want the iN3RNeTz to see your awesome skillz on teh fretzboardz.

Visit my brilliant Last.fm account by clicking the breathtaking signature below. Disappointment is futile.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-18 22:33:09

faggot. good one. now im reely hurt "dont post tabs cuz im a loser hahahaha"

ur #1 acdc fan, me

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-19 03:55:47

Played a great gig tonight, lots of people complemented my playing and such.

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-19 06:20:21

At 7/19/09 03:55 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: Played a great gig tonight, lots of people complemented my playing and such.

They only said it to get in your pants...

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-19 06:44:26

At 7/19/09 06:20 AM, positively-negative wrote:
At 7/19/09 03:55 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: Played a great gig tonight, lots of people complemented my playing and such.
They only said it to get in your pants...

Nobody got in my pants.

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-19 06:54:21

At 7/19/09 06:44 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: Nobody got in my pants.

You were obviously wearing the wrong pants then...

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-19 07:03:27

At 7/19/09 06:54 AM, positively-negative wrote:
At 7/19/09 06:44 AM, CapnCrunchDaPimp wrote: Nobody got in my pants.
You were obviously wearing the wrong pants then...

Ok then?

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-19 11:11:11

Arise to sky and set free - Release toward horizon

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-20 12:20:08

Congratulations, what songs did you play?

I also played something of a gig the other day, only I played piano, so...

-Ambrose Bierce

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-23 14:17:01

Anybody have any tips on mastering sweep picking? I understand the concept but I don't know how to start practicing it.

BBS Signature

Response to Guitarists 2009-07-23 17:49:07

At 7/23/09 02:17 PM, Scrotaculous wrote: Anybody have any tips on mastering sweep picking? I understand the concept but I don't know how to start practicing it.

I practically wrote a book's worth about it on here already. The cliff notes are:
- Hold your pick with two fingers (Easiest) while allowing only about 2mm of the pick to stand out.
- Move your picking hand in one continues motion (If not followed, you're not sweeping, but picking).
- Picking closer to the bridge makes for easier playing due to the strings being more tense there.
- Allow your hand to rest gently on the bridge (Especially important for floating trems).
- Adjust and fine tune your fretting hand to make every movement as natural as possible.
- Practice Minor arpeggios at first because they have more interesting shapes.
- Practice every sweep very slowly at start. 50bpm sounds good but there is no rule for this.
- Build speed gradually in increments of 10 or even 5 (We're aiming for speed here, right?).
- Don't increase the speed if you can't perform the sweep at least five times without a mistake.
- Make every single note as audible and clean as possible before increasing the speed.
- Don't lose hope and don't look at Herman Li's youtube instructional videos.

BBS Signature